Monday, March 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Re: Monday, March 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by georgespelvin »

Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I was down to Madison and Monroe, but chose Monroe because it seemed like the Era of Good Feelings guy wouldn't dump his VP. Kind of a silly thought, but it paid off.
They didn't pick their own VP's back then, did they (at least not directly)?
I'm not exactly sure. I looked up the Wikipedia articles on Monroe's elections and it just said they renominated both of them in 1824. I guess if Monroe wanted someone else, they'd have gone in a different direction. But the Federalists didn't even put up a candidate and many delegates didn't even go to Monroe's convention and he barely campaigned. Not the most exciting election in history.
Wikipedia. Sigh. Actually, the election of 1824 was one of the most exciting elections in history (no "Good Feelings" but the "Corrupt Bargain"). Monroe was re-elected in 1820.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

yclept wrote: Doesn't that make 6 consecutive TOC winners in this tournament?
Yes.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

dhkendall wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Okay, who helped set up Eddie with the gold tie line. Nice one whoever made it happen.
I'd make it a True Daily Double (and then some) it was Babu. He was standing right next to Eddie and has the same sense of humour. (Never put the two class clowns together or you get stuff like that.)
I wouldn't say they have the SAME sense of humour. Both are very funny, but in quite different ways.

I would guess that Eddie had the idea for the tie joke himself.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

silverscreentest wrote:Eruptions on Hawaii don't come on suddenly, but ooze out, so there's time to evacuate.
Whew! Then after that, time to get away?
jpahk wrote:those weren't [cryptic crossword] clues, but i guess they were cryptic [crossword clues].
exactly- in the same vein as "gegs" (9,4)
reddpen wrote:I got those plus Shrapnel, cargo and The Tommyknockers
incredibly, that was like the 5th movie Tracy Lordes was in with "knockers" in the title.

Like many others, got FJ via process of "deductivation," with a little luck at the end.
Must brush up on POTUS's Veeps ASAP.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I was down to Madison and Monroe, but chose Monroe because it seemed like the Era of Good Feelings guy wouldn't dump his VP. Kind of a silly thought, but it paid off.
They didn't pick their own VP's back then, did they (at least not directly)?
I'm not exactly sure. I looked up the Wikipedia articles on Monroe's elections and it just said they renominated both of them in 1824. I guess if Monroe wanted someone else, they'd have gone in a different direction. But the Federalists didn't even put up a candidate and many delegates didn't even go to Monroe's convention and he barely campaigned. Not the most exciting election in history.
Au contraire; more 'exciting' factoids and certain FJ material: Monroe won the 1816 election with 80% of the electoral vote and became the last of the 'First-Party Presidents elected (Federalist v. Democratic-Republican 'First Parties'), his VP Dan Tompkins was the Gov of New York and initially ran against him as an 'anti-virginia' Federalist candidate, but the Federalists failed to get a caucus and never put up a nominee. Monroe offered the VP ticket to Tompkins, a popular officer from War of 1812, so they ran together, insuring votes from VA & NY. Rufus King from NY took up the Federalist banner and ran against Monroe/Tompkins as the last Federalist candidate, taking under 20% of the electoral votes. The Monroe/Tompkins adminstration was popular and presided over a period of prosperity, thus, 1820 was the only election in history since George Washington's in 1788 in which the incumbent was unopposed (#2941).

Monroe was the last of the 'old Dominion Presidents' and the last of the Republican Generation Presidents (Jefferson, Madison, Monroe; preceded by the Liberty Generation, Washington/Adams; succeeded by the Compromise Generation, JQA-Buchanan), last Founding Father to be President, and the third President to die on Independence day (1831, after Adams and Jefferson in 1826; #1324, 3329); presiding over the 'Era of Good Feeling' (#3490, 3132) he retained his entire Cabinet throughout office, the only President since George to do so; a single electoral vote cast for JQ Adams prevented his election from being unanimous, so Washington remained the only unanimously elected President (#5508). This 'protest vote' was attributed to controversy over the admission of Missouri in the Compromise of 1820.

Tompkins would be the last Vice President to be elected to two terms with the same President until Thomas R. Marshall was elected Vice President, first in 1912 with Woodrow Wilson and again in 1916. Tompkins' immediate successor, John C. Calhoun served two consecutive terms but under different presidents (John Quincy Adams in 1824 and Andrew Jackson in 1828), and resigned the office before completing his second term.

Monroe was an ardent Jeffersonian states-rightist and anti-Federalist; he initially opposed ratification of the Constitution for giving too much power to central gov't. Prior to his election in 1816 he served as Virginia Governor in 1811 (briefly; #2896, 4189); Senator in US Congress (first president to have been a Senator, #2580); Minister to France England and Spain as well as SecWar & SecState (FJ#5919; sent to negotiate Louisiana Purchase #6293); He is not the only US President to have a foreign city named after him! (Monrovia, and Buchanan, Liberia; #6151; 18 instances of 'Monrovia'). HIs Doctrine has been repeatedly clued multiple times (I count 9 clues), read all about it! "In 1823 he said the Americas are "not to be considered as subjects for future colonization" this Clue has been repeated thrice verbatim: (#6785, 5110, 3433)

This clue from #4168 is really obscure: 'Born in 1758, his first name means "One Who Supplants" & his surname means "From the Red River"'. He was nicknamed the Sage of Montpelier (#2819), and "James the Second" (#3259).

On March 9, 1820 his daughter Maria became the first president's daughter married in the White House (#4924)

Neat reference to Miracle on 34th St, didn't realize that reference to Dan Tompkins! Hmm you don't suppose that was intended as a very subtle joke to a more educated public? I bet those folks in 1940s knew all these guys from grade school, eh? So it would have been funny to someone who knew that John C. Calhoun (SC states' rightist and secessionist) was VP under JQA and Andy Jackson until he resigned in protest (funny how that always has the exact opposite effect from the desired one, i.e.; "good, now that he's gone we can do it our way," lol)

This odd factoid about Dan Tompkins being the only VP for two consecutive terms in 19th century has occurred before, I've seen it in a pub trivia once. Oddly, J! has never written a clue about Tompkins directly. Don't forget that Monroe was the only one to ever hold two Cabinet posts simultaneously; Sec State and Sec War under Madison (2 FJs: #4804, #3194) and that James Madison and James Monroe are the only two consecutive Presidents with the same first name (FJ #2676).

NB: Marilyn Monroe claimed to be a direct descendant of JM, thus adopting his family name (#1164). This is unsubstantiated by a family tree search revealing that William Monroe of Marion, IN born 1805, no relation to the Virginia Monroes, was father of one Jacob Monroe 1831-1872 Indiana, father of Otis Elmer Monroe, 1866-1909, father of Gladys Pearl Baker, 1902 in Coahuila, Mexico - 1984, mother of Norma Jean (Mortensen) Baker, whose paternity is in question following Gladys' divorce from Martin Edward Mortensen, and her real father is probably Charles Stanley Gifford, according to Marilyn's first husband, James Dougherty. Marilyn had been abused by a series of adoptive parents and then abandoned. Hers was a squalid tale of miserable woe; tragic.

check it out; fascinating:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_life ... lyn_Monroe
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

jpahk wrote:those weren't [cryptic crossword] clues, but i guess they were cryptic [crossword clues]. in any event, i enjoyed them.
I was terribly disappointed after the first one was revealed, but I got over it by the last. They were pretty clever.

Rex
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

Misery's location is less prominent, I think, but The Shining's just iconically about an historic summer mountain resort in Colorado that closes for the winter because it gets snowed in...the opening credits sequence is a memorable long helicopter tracking shot following the VW bug driving into the Rockies.

Most other King questions will be Maine, though.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

jpahk wrote:those weren't [cryptic crossword] clues, but i guess they were cryptic [crossword clues]. in any event, i enjoyed them. i wish i could say as much for the wordplay category in the first round—after lumbago it was a whole lot of "huh?".
You and me both, Joon. I had precalled Fargo and Winnebago, but most of those lower value clues left me scratching my head (plumbago at least I'd heard of before)
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

Woof wrote:
jpahk wrote:those weren't [cryptic crossword] clues, but i guess they were cryptic [crossword clues]. in any event, i enjoyed them. i wish i could say as much for the wordplay category in the first round—after lumbago it was a whole lot of "huh?".
You and me both, Joon. I had precalled Fargo and Winnebago, but most of those lower value clues left me scratching my head (plumbago at least I'd heard of before)
Remember that "Go" category was in the first game of the day. All of us in the audience (who didn't know anything about what difficulty to expect in the tournament) were thinking 'wow, they are not messing around'.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

The only one of those I got was "lanugo" (a word I haven't heard or thought of since my son was born 14 years ago, but that came back to me). I'd heard of plumbago, at least.

I was rooting so hard for Eddie, though I like both Babu (had also forgotten how funny he is) and Rachael. Eddie is just the nicest guy ever, and hilarious.

The tie joke had to have been Eddie's idea. He said something similar to me when we were in Governor's School (almost 30 years ago, yikes) going to some kind of closing ceremony and I had said to someone I was bummed that I had just realized I had a spot on my skirt - he came up to me and said hi and too bad about that spot on my skirt. Made me laugh, so I stopped worrying about it.
Last edited by periwinkle on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

Having that many cryptic clues in one game is way more distracting than bouncing is, for me. At one point, I wondered what language the correct responses were in.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

ej! wrote:For me, that whole J! round was a whole lot of huh.
it was tough, certainly tougher than the DJ round, but it was not beyond the pale. i picked up lach trash on (jeru)salem's lot, tommyknockers, cargo cult, kilauea, west virginia, and shrapnel. (would have had yelp, too, but only with two guesses—i'll confess that i followed rachael in with rotten tomatoes.) that's a lot of $ the players left on the board.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

jpahk wrote:after lumbago it was a whole lot of "huh?".
I latched onto the chronic part of the clue and said "ongoing" :oops:

Guessed Jackson for FJ.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

zakharov wrote:That was brutal. I would last about 3 seconds in this tournament. I guessed Jefferson for the FJ, was I alone?

Wagering gurus help me out, did Eddie wager foolishly?
My guess was worse because I felt I had to say something, but knew TJ had two different VPs.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BobF

Post by BobF »

Bamaman wrote:I remember in one of his original games he was running a category and kept saying "next one down" rather than the dollar amount. He asked if any were left after he was done and Alex said no.
I'd imagine he'd have a lot of difficulty if he had to play against Arthur Chu.

(Apologies if this is insensitive to the non-sighted).
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

koam wrote:...The Shining's just iconically about an historic summer mountain resort in Colorado that closes for the winter because it gets snowed in...the opening credits sequence is a memorable long helicopter tracking shot following the VW bug driving into the Rockies.
That long opening shot was filmed along Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier N.P. in Montana--which just might be the prettiest place on earth--and the resort exteriors are of Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood in the Oregon Cascades... and I still bit on Maine.
In and out of the pool four times
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I'm so used to reflexively shouting out "Maine" in response to Stephen King questions that I shouted out something like "Maine! No, wait, Shining! Colorado!"

That's where it would be good to have someone else beat me to the buzzer.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

skullturf wrote:I'm so used to reflexively shouting out "Maine" in response to Stephen King questions that I shouted out something like "Maine! No, wait, Shining! Colorado!"

That's where it would be good to have someone else beat me to the buzzer.
Assuming you shouted "Maine!" after the other guy buzzed in, you wouldn't lose any cash, but it still wouldn't be good. :D
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

georgespelvin wrote: Wikipedia. Sigh. Actually, the election of 1824 was one of the most exciting elections in history (no "Good Feelings" but the "Corrupt Bargain"). Monroe was re-elected in 1820.
My mistake. I keep thinking John Adams served until 1805 and that screws up my timeline of the early presidents.

When I first found out Daniel D. Tompkins was not John Quincy Adams' VP, I felt let down because Santa Claus had lied to me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

koam wrote:Misery's location is less prominent, I think, but The Shining's just iconically about an historic summer mountain resort in Colorado that closes for the winter because it gets snowed in...the opening credits sequence is a memorable long helicopter tracking shot following the VW bug driving into the Rockies.
It was nearly ruined by Harrison Ford's voiceover musings about replicants and mortality. Fortunately, none of that footage got used in The Shining.