Tuesday, March 4, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6787, 2014-03-04

CONTESTANTS
Pam Mueller, a graduate student in psychology from Princeton, New Jersey
Dan Melia, a retired professor from Berkeley, California
Fritz Holznagel, a writer from Somerville, Massachusetts

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1990s FICTION (3/5)
BROADWAY MUSICALS BY SONGS (4/5)
PALINDROMIC WORDS (4/5)
WORLD CAPITALS (5/5)
PARTY (5/5)
LIKE IT'S 1998 (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Fritz: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Pam: 10 R, 1 W
Dan: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Fritz found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Fritz had $1,200, Dan was scoreless, and Pam was at $1,400. Fritz wagered $1,111.

LIKE IT'S 1998 $600: On July 17, this ruler & some of his family members were re-buried in St. Petersburg

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Fritz: $5,111
Pam: $2,400
Dan: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: If you're a "Jeopardy!" champion, you're likely to be recognized when you're out in public, and sometimes that's fun, and sometimes it's even more fun.
[ Pam laughs ] Pam Mueller, after our Ultimate Tournament of Champions aired, you and the winner of that tournament, Brad Rutter, were walking along the street in New York City. Tell the folks what happened.

Pam: So, uh, we were walking down the street, and somebody calls, 'Hey, hey, "Jeopardy!" "Jeopardy!"' And so Brad turns around, ready to, you know, receive congratulations, as, you know, people had been recognizing him a lot, and he's like, 'You were that girl who was on "Jeopardy!"' I went, 'Yeah!'
[ laughter ]

Alex: You go, girl! Yes!
[ laughs ]

Alex: Dan Melia is from Berkeley. He's a a university professor. I don't know how many of you recall --we had a little bit on our show, Dan Melia was married on the set of "Jeopardy!" by one of the players who's going to appear tomorrow on our program --

Dan: Right. Yeah.

Alex: Bob Harris.

Dan: Correct.

Alex: And now you're retired from teaching, and what are you doing? What are you up to?

Dan:Well, I'm actually --although I'm officially retired, I'm still doing exactly what I was doing before. I'm teaching, I'm advising students, I'm sitting on committees, and the only difference is, they have to pay me extra to teach now.
[ laughs ]

Alex: Aha. Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Fritz Holznagel, from Somerville, Massachusetts. He used his winnings on "Jeopardy!" when he became a multi-day champion to travel abroad, as many of our contestants do. But you did it a little differently. How?

Fritz: Well, uh, I had never been overseas before, and so I got a backpack and, uh, took two months. I started in Stockholm and then went south as far as, uh, Vesuvius.

Alex: Okay, wait a minute. You had won all that money, and you went backpacking. Couldn't you go at least business class?

Fritz: [ laughs ] I'll tell you, the best part was knowing that if I ever wanted to stay in a hotel, I could just stay in a hotel, no problem.

Alex: Yeah, it's a good feeling to know. All right.

Fritz: Yeah.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BROADWAY MUSICALS BY SONGS $600: "Born To Boogie" &
"He Could Be A Star"

1990s FICTION $800: In 1999 this novelist found the time to pick up a Pulitzer Prize for "The Hours"
(Pam: Who is Daldry?)

1990s FICTION $1000: Roddy Doyle's bestseller about a young Irish lad growing up in the '60s is called this boy "Ha Ha Ha"

PALINDROMIC WORDS $800: An island city near Montreal, or French WWII traitor Pierre

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Fritz: $7,711
Pam: $4,200
Dan: $2,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE SONNET (3/5)
SCIENCE TIMELINE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DISNEY SIDEKICKS (4/5)
ART & ARTISTS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ALL AROUND AMERICA (4/5)
AS "IF"! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Pam: 12 R, 1 W
Fritz: 5 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Dan: 6 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dan snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Fritz had $7,311, Dan had $6,200, and Pam was at $4,600. Dan wagered $2,500.

ART & ARTISTS $1600: His 1911 work "I and the Village" evokes the look of his Hasidic hometown
(Dan: Who is Kandinsky?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Fritz who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Fritz had $8,511, Dan had $3,700, and Pam was at $12,600. Fritz wagered $777.

SCIENCE TIMELINE $1600: In 1576 King Frederick II granted him title to the island of Ven to build an observatory
(Fritz: [while considering a wager] I'm not crazy about this category.)
[laughter]
(Alex: Well I'm sorry about that - I'll have that reported to our writers!)
(Fritz: Who is Copernicus?)
(Alex: King Frederick II was the King of Denmark.)
(Fritz: Told you I wasn't crazy about that category.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE SONNET $800: This lake poet's "Ecclesiastical Sonnets" is a history of the church in England
(Dan: Who's John Donne?)

THE SONNET $1200: Some of this Maine-born poet's finest verse appears in her 1931 collection "Fatal Interview", a group of love sonnets

ART & ARTISTS $400: It's about a 30-minute walk from the Rembrandt House Museum to the Amsterdam museum named for this artist
(Fritz: [long pause] Huh, who is, uh, Rembrandt?)
(Dan: Who's Frans Hals?)
(Pam: Who is van Dyke?)
(Alex: Correct response who is [*]?, [*] the obvious one, I would think.)

ALL AROUND AMERICA $2000: The Lake Whitefish is often found in this lake where a 43-pounder was caught in 1918

DISNEY SIDEKICKS $1600: In "Diamonds Are Forever", 007 was attacked by a bikini-clad woman who shared a name with this 1942 Disney sidekick

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Pam: $17,000
Fritz: $12,934
Dan: $5,700

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BORDERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Pam: Wager $8,869 to cover Fritz.
Fritz: You'll want to wager $4,067, and you'll win the game if Pam wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Dan: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Twice as long as Hadrian's Wall, Offa's Dyke was the traditional border between these 2 lands

FINAL SCORES
Dan: $5,700 + $4,000 = $9,700 (What are England and Wales?) (3rd place)
Fritz: $12,934 - $1,331 = $11,603 (What are the Netherlands and Germany?) (2nd place)
Pam: $17,000 - $0 = $17,000 (What are Scotland and Wales?) (New champion: $17,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Pam: $17,000, 22 R, 2 W
Fritz: $13,200, 17 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Dan: $8,200, 10 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $38,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Pam: 22/58 = .379
Fritz: 17/60 = .283
Dan: 11/59 = .186
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PALINDROMIC WORDS $400: Male & female
(Dan: Uh...what are...[shaking head] genders?)

ART & ARTISTS $2000: Female impressionists included Mary Cassatt and this femme, Manet's sister-in-law

ALL AROUND AMERICA $1200: John Milkovisch made the aluminum siding at his Houston home from 50,000 of these former cold ones
(Fritz: What are cans?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Fritz: What are aluminum cans?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Fritz: What are [*]?)

ALL AROUND AMERICA $1600: Seen in many sci-fi movies, the VLA, this system, listens in from Socorro, New Mexico

CORRECT RESPONSES
Nicholas II
Billy Elliot
Michael Cunningham
Paddy Clarke
Laval
Marc Chagall
Tycho Brahe
William Wordsworth
Edna St. Vincent Millay
van Gogh
Lake Superior
Thumper
England and Wales
sexes
(Berthe) Morisot
beer cans
the Very Large Array
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Borders
Twice as long as Hadrian's wall, Offa's Dyke was the traditional border between these 2 lands.

Spoiler
What are England and Wales? Fritz said the Netherlands and Germany; Pam said Scotland and Wales.

Pam Mueller: $17,000-$0=$17,000...advances to quarterfinals of Decades Tournament
Fritz Holznagel: $12,934-$1,331=$11,603
Dan Melia: $5,700+$4,000=$9,700
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Capitals wasn't too hard. Got the first three, negged with Ivory Coast at $800, and felt Quito was too easy at $1000.

"Oh, what kind of party do they sleep over at? No, that's not right. Sleep… sl… no, it's not sleep anything, it begins with SL though… what the hell is that word?!" It was right there, but I couldn't pull it out. I'm a friggin' idiot.

Guess the girth at a baby shower?!? Huh?!?!?… Oh. I thought baby showers were only held after the baby was born.

Clammed on "soirée" as well.

===

Probably the first time I didn't get an Edna St. Vincent Millay clue, because this time, they didn't mention "What lips my lips have kissed…"

Have they ever had to BMS a response twice before?

Disney was tougher than I thought. NHO Smee; $1600 required knowledge far beyond Disney (I WAGged Tinker Bell). I can't even tell what $2000 was referring to. "Jiminy Cricket" + "Castle" is giving me no help at all, and there's no mention of castles on his Wikipedia article. Fireworks over a castle? Jiminy Cricket singing? What are they even talking about?!

====

What was the TOM on this clue? Dykes are most often a Netherlands thing, and "Offa" doesn't sound like it points to any country at all.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

More interesting wagering today. I think I might have fallen into the same fate that Fritz did, because I thought Pam would to wager to cover no matter what, and so the betting little to save myself from Dan would have kicked in. That final itself is just one of those things I'd never heard of, I thought of Prussia and that's all I could come up with.

Very well done to Pam, one of the stronger performances from the winners I've seen so far.
TenPoundHammer wrote:

Disney was tougher than I thought. NHO Smee; $1600 required knowledge far beyond Disney (I WAGged Tinker Bell). I can't even tell what $2000 was referring to. "Jiminy Cricket" + "Castle" is giving me no help at all, and there's no mention of castles on his Wikipedia article. Fireworks over a castle? Jiminy Cricket singing? What are they even talking about?!

====

What was the TOM on this clue? Dykes are most often a Netherlands thing, and "Offa" doesn't sound like it points to any country at all.
Re Disney: What I initially connected it to was the little snippet with Disney movies that plays what I think is a tiny bit of "When You Wish Upon a Star" when the Disney logo appears. Also, I believe commercials for Disney world traditionally have fireworks behind the Disney castle as the song plays, and I think in the movies too.

Re FJ: From what I gather, this is one you either know or you don't. Not necessarily one you can reason, or perhaps I just don't know specific United Kingdom geography that well.
Last edited by UniquePerspective on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Pam's hair is the real winner of this game. Dat color ♥

Epic win, though! I knew something was up when she didn't have a completely disappointed look on her face after her incorrect response was revealed. Way to go, Pam... see you in May! :)
esrever

Post by esrever »

Pam won, so the two women contestants have won Monday's and today's games.

Picked up Lach trash on "Laval" and "Vincent van Gogh"

Didn't get FJ. "Dyke" had me thinking that one of the countries was The Netherlands. So I guessed The Netherlands and Belgium.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

Instaget FJ. I figured it had to be in the U.K. if it mentioned Hadrian's wall. I had an easier time with the board today. Ran world capitals and missed running that science category because I blanked on Torricelli. Slick wagering by Pam.
Last edited by geolawyerman on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
Leander

Post by Leander »

Thought this was an easier board than yesterday.

I knew Offa's Dyke was in the UK. My logic was if Hadrian's Wall was to keep the Scots out, the Dyke was probably meant to keep the Welsh out.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I like being challenged and I'm enjoying these games, but it sure is humbling keeping score.

For the second night in a row, I had more trouble with the J round than the DJ round.

In the J round, I went 16/20 in the four rightmost columns, but 1/10 in the two leftmost columns. Ouch. (I should have had "Ludlum", but couldn't quite pull his name out. I was thinking "Ludlum or Ludlow or something like that." Maybe I would have pulled it out on a DD, but I can't honestly give myself credit for it tonight.)

I know that Broadway musicals and relatively recent novels are weak spots of mine, and are things to study up on if I ever get the call. But I managed to make up for that by going 5/5 on Sonnets in DJ. I do better on "classical" literature, which has more overlap with what we studied in school.

I said "Kepler" on the Brahe DD, but now that I've had time to think about it, was the hint that the king mentioned was Danish? (And was Brahe Danish?) So, it wasn't ungettable, but it did strike me as more difficult than a clue in a standard game, which is consistent with others' general impressions that these Decades games are tougher.

I missed FJ. I wrote down the Netherlands, then flipped a coin between Germany and Belgium for the other country, and went with Belgium.

I'm pretty sure I've never heard of Offa's Dyke before. The fact that it didn't sound familiar led me away from the English-speaking world. The fact that they mentioned Hadrian at all made me stay in Europe. And "dyke" led me to the Netherlands.

Afterwards, I thought about how some aspects of the clue could be perceived as hints. The clue mentioned Hadrian's Wall, but didn't mention England or Scotland. Could we say either of those words were conspicuous by their absence? The clue could be interpreted as "Not the border between England and Scotland, but..."

(Also, IIRC, did the clue say it was the border between two "lands"? If so, that could be interpreted as a hint that the correct response would be something like regions, or sub-national entities, or proper subsets of UN member states.)

Of course, if you've previously heard of Offa's Dyke, that makes it way easier. Anyone who got this clue without having previously heard of the dyke, you have my respect.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I once stuck my hand in Offa's Dyke. I am curious if someone who didn't know the fact cracked it.

Two answers there I am not getting in a million years - minim and chifferobe.

I felt this episode played less tough than yesterday. For example I thought the world capitals and 1998 cats were regular show fare in my opinion.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Austin Powers wrote:I felt this episode played less tough than yesterday. For example I thought the world capitals and 1998 cats were regular show fare in my opinion.
I still skunked 1998.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

I confused George Miller (representative from California) with George Mitchell (senator from Maine, steroid investigator).

Figured a dyke would be between two low countries, guessed Netherlands and Belgium.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I watch the show with my mom, and we have agreed to only speak the answer if it's a lach trash. I was surprised with these contestants that I actually got two of them.

I was clueless on FJ, though. My mom thought the Netherlands and Belgium, but I didn't think that border would be longer than Hadrian's wall.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

I got chifforobe because it was offered as a prize on TPIR maybe 10-12 years ago and because of the IF in quotation marks. Minim I got from remembering the category too. Pam becomes the first non-TofC winner to win a game so far this tourney.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

I am super in love with Pam's wager. I presume she knew Fritz knew what he was doing and would bet small to stay ahead of Dan on a miss, so the $0 bet was canny. Considering how hard the FJs were in the UTOC and continue to be in this tournament, it's probably a good idea for the leader to at least consider making a smaller wager. I'm surprised we didn't see it more in the UTOC, especially after so many pre-FJ leaders in early games lost because of tough FJs.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had never heard of Offa's Dyke. Like the others, I went to the Netherlands and added Belgium. I have heard of Hadrian's Wall, but had no idea where it is, other than somewhere in England.

I did pick up on the bit about it not mentioning the words countries, but never went anywhere with it.
davey

Post by davey »

Relieved that today's game was much less tough than yesterday - but I admit "Offa's Dyke" is new to me...
Rick2001
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Rick2001 »

Hey there J Boarders, and hello to anyone from the old Sony Board days.

I just wanted to pop in both to congratulate my fellow 2001'er Pam on a masterful victory. Represent!

I also noticed a statistical oddity that connected back to me (what, it's not all about me?) that the students of the game might also find odd- Pam, Dan and I have each faced the other two once in tournament play- in each case we had a runaway in one game and were on the short end of a runaway in the other. Can't happen that often. (Pam had a runaway v. Dan once she decided to wager zero).

Isn't it funny that Rachel was last night's winner and Pam employed a "Rachel Schwartz" wager tonight?

Looking forward to the rest of the week.

Rick Knutsen
chalupabatman786
Valued Contributor

Post by chalupabatman786 »

skullturf wrote: (Also, IIRC, did the clue say it was the border between two "lands"? If so, that could be interpreted as a hint that the correct response would be something like regions, or sub-national entities, or proper subsets of UN member states.)
I caught onto this, but couldn't get Netherlands out of my head. Went with "Netherlands and Holland" knowing it was almost certainly wrong, but it retrospect it wasn't as bad a guess as "Scotland and Wales"