Tuesday, March 4, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by geolawyerman »

chalupabatman786 wrote:
skullturf wrote: (Also, IIRC, did the clue say it was the border between two "lands"? If so, that could be interpreted as a hint that the correct response would be something like regions, or sub-national entities, or proper subsets of UN member states.)
I caught onto this, but couldn't get Netherlands out of my head. Went with "Netherlands and Holland" knowing it was almost certainly wrong, but it retrospect it wasn't as bad a guess as "Scotland and Wales"
It's probably a good idea to pick two countries/regions that border each other. I hope someone made Pam aware of that.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I went off to the Netherlands too for FJ.

I was really looking forward to this game as it had three players that are sharp as a whip. I think that Dan was likely outclassed on the buzzer (he obviously was in the J! round) because in his previous appearances he was sensational. I was rooting for Pam because we have some of the same community theater friends from her time in D.C. (she won a choreography award for a show she worked on while doing the UToC). Fritz was very impressive as well. I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet him at O'Brien's the next night (Rex, that was one you missed introducing me). Pam co-led the pub quiz at O'Brien's that night after her taping in a back room completely crammed with people (including a number of BoD players that had just taped the 1990s and 2000s games). Pam did a great job keeping order out of that chaos (btw, a team that included Colby Burnett, Dr. J, seaborgium and thejeopardyfan won). Fortunately, I didn't know the results of the game tonight ahead of time because I certainly enjoyed watching it develop.

More I won't say other than I was embarrassed about how little I knew in this game.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I struggled with a number of questions in this game, but FJ was an instaget.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Pam not only knew chifforobe, she also correctly guessed which glass the iocaine was in!!! Bob, am I correct in surmising this is one of the few successful Shoretegic wagers ever executed in real life?

Oh, and I got diverted to the Netherlands/Belgium as well. But at least I didn't get as thoroughly humbled by the boards as on Monday.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

What really sucks about FJ is that I must have crossed it at some point (twice, actually), and still had never heard of it. I went with Belgium/Holland as well.

Congrats, PamIAm!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I felt a little uneasy about the Netherlands since we had a clue about Dutch painters earlier.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Did anyone else hear something odd in Alex's reading of the first round categories compared to the sound for the rest of the game? It sounded like the category reading was dubbed later.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Budphrey wrote:Bob, am I correct in surmising this is one of the few successful Shoretegic wagers ever executed in real life?
Shoretegy did not apply in this case, since Fritz could not pass Pam's score without risking his lock over Dan.

Seaborgium has shared this great tip for detecting a Shore's Conjecture game: 2 x (2nd - 3rd) > 1st = SC. (ETA: Although I do believe that there is another stipulation: 3 x 2nd > 2 x 1st.)
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

cheezguyty wrote:
Budphrey wrote:Bob, am I correct in surmising this is one of the few successful Shoretegic wagers ever executed in real life?
Shoretegy did not apply in this case, since Fritz could not pass Pam's score without risking his lock over Dan.

Seaborgium has shared this great tip for detecting a Shore's Conjecture game: 2 x (2nd - 3rd) > 1st = SC.
Nice, and thanks — I guess my memory about the formula was faulty (not the last time that's gonna happen.) Still, I have a hard time seeing how wagering small from the lead is not just as sound a strategy in a case like this as it is in a purely SC scenario.

ETA: The way I was remembering the formula was 3 x 2nd > 2 x 1st AND 2nd > 2 x 3rd.
Last edited by Budphrey on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

I would have gotten "chifforobe" if you clued it as "This was the piece of furniture Mayella Ewell allegedly asked Tom Robinson to bust up in exchange for a nickel."

Also, here's the "When You Wish Upon a Star" clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03TDbOSHbzg
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Austin Powers wrote:I once stuck my hand in Offa's Dyke. I am curious if someone who didn't know the fact cracked it.
yeah, i got there without knowing offa's dyke. hadrian's wall put me in the north of england, but "twice as long" made me think it was further south, where the island is wider. and the ff in offa seemed like it could plausibly be welsh. anyway, i was very pleased to be correct.

i really liked the board today. all three players showed some good knowledge in different categories. i was happy to see pam win, but fritz won me over too. (also, hey! he lives in the same town as me. neat.)
naurae29 wrote:I would have gotten "chifforobe" if you clued it as "This was the piece of furniture Mayella Ewell allegedly asked Tom Robinson to bust up in exchange for a nickel."
this. i have literally never encountered the word outside of to kill a mockingbird.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

naurae29 wrote:I would have gotten "chifforobe" if you clued it as "This was the piece of furniture Mayella Ewell allegedly asked Tom Robinson to bust up in exchange for a nickel."
I probably would have because I'm reading the book right now. That clue instantly made me think of To Kill a Mockingbird.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Pam's deep gets tonight put me in mind of her jaw-dropper from this game from the UToC — scroll down to THAT'S SO "LAME" for $2000. Whew.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I thought of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" - Everett's wife thought her wedding ring might be in the chifforobe.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

It took me almost a minute to figure out who Fritz reminded me of when he uncovered that last DD. Maybe the proper dialogue would've helped.

ALEX: Look, bud, I said, "How much money would you like to risk?"

FRITZ: I'm thinking it over!
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Woppy T wrote:Did anyone else hear something odd in Alex's reading of the first round categories compared to the sound for the rest of the game? It sounded like the category reading was dubbed later.
I happened to listen to tonight's show through headphones, and didn't notice any particular difference -- but it's definitely possible that the category reading was redone.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

jpahk wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I once stuck my hand in Offa's Dyke. I am curious if someone who didn't know the fact cracked it.
yeah, i got there without knowing offa's dyke. hadrian's wall put me in the north of england, but "twice as long" made me think it was further south, where the island is wider. and the ff in offa seemed like it could plausibly be welsh. anyway, i was very pleased to be correct.

i really liked the board today. all three players showed some good knowledge in different categories. i was happy to see pam win, but fritz won me over too. (also, hey! he lives in the same town as me. neat.)
this. i have literally never encountered the word outside of to kill a mockingbird.
Hey, no love for the Coens listed yet? My most recent/ memorable line is from O Brother anyhow also. (Elen beat me to it)

Interestingly, the portmanteau CHIFFOROBE is the front 2/3 of CHIFFONIER - \shiff-uh-NEER\ with the back half of WARDROBE

I thought Offa's Dike sounded pretty close to Uff Da! and so put it between Norway and Sweden.

I liked how tight the endgame was (who doesn't, here, really?) and certainly the momentum was Pam's tonight (what they called 'wicked' last time I was in Summahville)
Last edited by El Jefe on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

ElendilPickle wrote:
I thought of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" - Everett's wife thought her wedding ring might be in the chifforobe.
It's been a while since I've seen it, but I don't remember that line at all.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I think the weekly poll's going to need a "I picked Netherlands and _____ for Tuesday" option. (Do we need to distinguish between Belgium and Germany?...Don't think so myself)

Gets van Gogh lash trash. Laughs at the get. Gets schooled on next...well...let's just say the rest of the board :lol: Oh karma, you fickle, fickle teacher...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

georgespelvin wrote: Pam co-led the pub quiz at O'Brien's that night after her taping in a back room completely crammed with people (including a number of BoD players that had just taped the 1990s and 2000s games). Pam did a great job keeping order out of that chaos (btw, a team that included Colby Burnett, Dr. J, seaborgium and thejeopardyfan won). Fortunately, I didn't know the results of the game tonight ahead of time because I certainly enjoyed watching it develop.
Yes, Pam did a great job with a lively crowd. Even with her hosting obligations she was kind enough to take a second to be pleasant when I introduced myself when she came by the table in between rounds.

No spoiler from Pam, but unfortunately for me I did not manage to avoid hearing what happened in this game. I knew Pam led and bet zero to win, so at least I could play all of the clues unspoiled.

My Coryat was 7600 higher tonight than last night, so there will be no argument from me that tonight was easier.

All three players had some very nice gets. Unlike them I do not have a lot of poets in the pocket to consider, so for me lake = Wordsworth.

My rooting choice was Dan since I have sat by him at a few trivia things here in town. Those retro back in time things never work do they? Chagall! Chagall! Chagall! The next time Dan gets together with OSC they can share stories about being derailed by key art clues.

The logic for those who figured out where to guess for the FJ! makes sense. Even if I had stayed in the UK area I probably would have picked the wrong two in one way or another. Like others my guess was Belgium and The Netherlands, but only after crossing off Sweden and Norway.