Thursday, October 20, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jgpeterson
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, October 20, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by jgpeterson »

katiedidwhat wrote:
jgpeterson wrote:to answer your question, next week's episodes were taped on september 20. this week's were taped on august 30, but there was a hiatus due to labor day.
Thanks, Jay! It was idle curiosity on my part; when I got "the call" in July Glenn made it sound like there wouldn't be any tapings between Aug. 29-30 and the ToC, but that was before the injury, of course. My husband and I ended up going to the La Brea tar pits on the 30th and having a day to relax before heading home.

I thought you played very well -- congrats on your own win!

Thank you, Katie! What a ride, eh?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

katiedidwhat wrote:...the La Brea tar pits...
This phrase literally means "the the tar pits tar pits." (It's been a while since I've been there, so I can't remember if they acknowledge that in the museum or not.)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Is there a better pop waltz than Break Up to Make Up? N

Post by Rex Kramer »

harrumph wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
harrumph wrote:The Bee Gees started off as a kind of art pop group. A bunch of those songs were covered by soul groups, and adapted quite well into that genre, but the Bee Gees' early style was their own distinctive vision.
I agree that the Bee Gees were distinctively visionary, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that their songs were merely "adapted" by soul groups. Barry Gibb wrote their first true international hit, "To Love Somebody", for Otis Redding, after all. Even in its sparest early works, the group found the incorporation of the harmonies and rhythms of soul music irresistable, and Barry publicly attributed their development of the use of falsetto to their fondness of the works of the Stylistics and the Delfonics. "Words", "Lonely Days", "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart", "Nights on Broadway", and even (technically) "Jive Talkin'" and "You Should Be Dancing" -- all pre-Saturday Night Fever, and all original, unadapted soul.

Rex
Most of the songs you cite here are mid period, after they had made a conscious decision to go into soul/funk music. The four albums from the late 1960s - Bee Gees 1st, Horizontal, Idea, and Odessa - are adventurously arty and while soul music was one influence it was not at all dominant. Barry Gibbs developed the falsetto voice after this. Their early period harmonies are Beatle like, having grown up with the same 1950s influences as the fab four (they were only in Australia from 1958 to 1966).
I defer to your obviously superior knowledge of their early works. In fact it only makes my case stronger! The Good Ol' BeeGee Boys wanted to be all arty and ethereal, but once they caught that boogie fever, they were hooked for life!

Rex
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote:
This phrase literally means "the the tar pits tar pits." (It's been a while since I've been there, so I can't remember if they acknowledge that in the museum or not.)
Are you sure it's not just "the the tar tar pits"?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

trainman wrote:
Do they serve pizza pie there?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Paucle wrote:
trainman wrote:
I believe they do. I'd buy some with money from the ATM machine, but I can't remember my PIN number.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Paucle wrote:
trainman wrote: This phrase literally means "the the tar pits tar pits." (It's been a while since I've been there, so I can't remember if they acknowledge that in the museum or not.)
I believe they do. I'd buy some with money from the ATM machine, but I can't remember my PIN number.
I had the same issue when I was getting an HPV vaccine, but I had burned it to a disc, so I went home and put it in my DVD drive. That night I watched the CMA Awards.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Paucle wrote:
I had the same issue when I was getting an HPV vaccine, but I had burned it to a disc, so I went home and put it in my DVD drive. That night I watched the CMA Awards.
The Country Music Association Awards? I don't think that one belongs in that paragraph.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote:
seaborgium wrote: I had the same issue when I was getting an HPV vaccine, but I had burned it to a disc, so I went home and put it in my DVD drive. That night I watched the CMA Awards.
The Country Music Association Awards? I don't think that one belongs in that paragraph.
HPV = Human papillomavirus (looked that up for the spelling)
DVD = Digital Versatile Disc (or Digital Video Disc)

None of those belong apparently.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm planning a hike across the Sahara Desert.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
seaborgium wrote: I had the same issue when I was getting an HPV vaccine, but I had burned it to a disc, so I went home and put it in my DVD drive. That night I watched the CMA Awards.
HPV = Human papillomavirus (looked that up for the spelling)
DVD = Digital Versatile Disc (or Digital Video Disc)

None of those belong apparently.
Oops, apparently I walked right into the trap. :( I should have known better than to think that I could correct a Jeopardy! TOCer. Well played, seaborgium.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Are you sure it's not just "the the tar tar pits"?
I think you may be right.

Also, I I love love Double Double Chex Chex, better better than than the the rest rest.
harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Is there a better pop waltz than Break Up to Make Up? N

Post by harrumph »

Rex Kramer wrote:
I defer to your obviously superior knowledge of their early works. In fact it only makes my case stronger! The Good Ol' BeeGee Boys wanted to be all arty and ethereal, but once they caught that boogie fever, they were hooked for life!
Early Bee Gees are one of my few wheelhouses... in my own band I've covered a few of those songs, and on my radio show I play from those albums fairly often, and plus I like to play early seventies soul too, so I'm a bit immersed in it. :D
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote:Oops, apparently I walked right into the trap. :( I should have known better than to think that I could correct a Jeopardy! TOCer. Well played, seaborgium.
Thanks! One time on facebook I complained about how my redundancy alarms automatically go off for phrases wherein an initialism is followed by a word that begins with the last initial, making me vulnerable to false positives. Commenters on the post (which included boardies!) nevertheless went off about actual redundancies. So I took out any residual feelings from that on this discussion!

"LED display" is another non-redundant trigger of my alarm.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

my favorite is PDF file.
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

The magnet I got as a souvenir says "Page Museum; La Brea Tar Pits" so it's not quite so redundant. What struck me the most about the museum's exhibits was how many times the "Why are there no dinosaurs?" question was answered.

And my favorite redundancy (which I admit to using more than once myself) is "hot water heater."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jpahk wrote:my favorite is PDF file.
But doesn't PDF stand for Portable Document Format?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

One day I'll finally get my mom to stop saying DVR recorder. Or I'll feel guilty for being pedantic and stop bothering her :oops:
alietr wrote:
jpahk wrote:my favorite is PDF file.
But doesn't PDF stand for Portable Document Format?
I think by that point the conversation had turned to things that sound redundant, but aren't, but I might be wrong.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:I think by that point the conversation had turned to things that sound redundant, but aren't, but I might be wrong.
You're not wrong.