Wednesday, March 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Re: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Dr. J »

My biggest problem is with the phrasing "dates back to," as if dudes and macaronis were contemporaries, when they were not. The new research clearly points to dude emerging in the 1870-80s. There may be a linkage, but dude does not date back farther than that, at least not in "dude" form. So, duuuuude...write a more precise clue next time.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here is the exact wording of the FJ! clue: New research says this word that has become ubiquitous dates back to young men also called "macaronis"

I checked my DVR recording and here: http://www.jeopardy.com/gamesandmobile/clueoftheday/
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Ok, awesome, I was wrong. That's slightly better. I still don't like the tense of "has become ubiquitous," and Dr. J's issue makes sense to me too.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

?
Last edited by El Jefe on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Look, every time I write something, you read it and respond to it despite the fact that you clearly have no idea what I'm saying. I know that there are two songs. Why else would I say that I think you are conflating them? Stop giving me Wikipedia links.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Oh, the other thing that had "dude" in the front of my mind was a Family Feud question from the previous hour: Asking 100 women, give us a word describes a bad date that rhymes with "dude".

Just a lucky coincidence.
OCSam
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

The best way to stop an online p***ing match is to stop p***ing.

Now that I got that out of the way (but not before OSam's latest got in the way)...

Stuck for a four-letter word, I scribbled "cool" with a few seconds left, then hit Pause... and got the macaroni --> Doodle --> dude connection in maybe 10 extra seconds. Not good enough.

Shane is the first of my predicted winners to lose, but man, what an effort! Calvados? Mirepoix? Douglas? Dude, you were awesome! Now hit the gym and get back in Kno'dgeball trim for TCONA 2014.

Semi-obligatory adolescent Swordfish anecdote: Told that audiences said "seeing Halle Berry's naked breasts" was the best thing about the film, Ms. Berry was then asked what that said about the rest of the film. "That says," she replied, "my boobs are pretty f***ing incredible."
Last edited by reddpen on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
In and out of the pool four times
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Austin Powers wrote:You know, I guessed "dude," since it's a four letter word for a guy, but I am not seeing the connection to Yankee Doodle that Trebek apparently was. Sort of a shitty question.
I responded, 'Dork'...not so much as a response to what was indeed a very (hey, four letters!)shitty clue, but as a comment on whoever wrote it! I call BS on their 'new research'. It reminded me of the 'Internet Abbreviations' category they've gfallen in love with over the last few years.
Writer(s), at least pull a URL out of thin air, just to have something less vague than 'new research'.
Bob may not have won many friends among the writers by giving them that sarcastic ' F U' applause late in the game, but they were in an exceptionally 'Sheldon Cooper WTF are they TALKING about?' mode with a lot of their work tonight.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

zakharov wrote:Rough board all around. Very proud that I instagot "dude" somehow.

By the way, have 12 year olds taken over the writing staff? We had "what is boob" yesterday and "what is dude" today...
"What is suck?"
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

El Jefe wrote:YAY! Finally J! clue writers evidenced knowing something about jellyfish. But is it correct or wrong again?

JELLYFISH AREN'T FISH BUT THESE, PART OF A PHYLUM OF CREATURES WITH ONE SACLIKE BODY CAVITY

A: COELENTERATES

Phylum: CNIDARIA Sub-phylum: MEDUSOZOA

"Coelenterata" is an obscure, outdated term (that does match the sac description) but nonetheless is not worthy of J! any more than a clue which leads you to conclude Brontosauruses are still A Thing.
I don't care; I said "What is coelenterata?" and picked up the Lach Trash with a smile. Sure, it's outdated, but it's a much cooler word.

Rex
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

?
Last edited by El Jefe on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Onairb wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:You know, I guessed "dude," since it's a four letter word for a guy, but I am not seeing the connection to Yankee Doodle that Trebek apparently was. Sort of a shitty question.
I responded, 'Dork'...not so much as a response to what was indeed a very (hey, four letters!)shitty clue, but as a comment on whoever wrote it! I call BS on their 'new research'. It reminded me of the 'Internet Abbreviations' category they've gfallen in love with over the last few years.
Writer(s), at least pull a URL out of thin air, just to have something less vague than 'new research'.
Bob may not have won many friends among the writers by giving them that sarcastic ' F U' applause late in the game, but they were in an exceptionally 'Sheldon Cooper WTF are they TALKING about?' mode with a lot of their work tonight.
Cause citing a URL would be inaccurate.
http://chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca ... 0/21/dude/
It’s thanks to Barry Popik and Gerald Cohen, in the latest issue of Comments on Etymology.
Likewise, Popik, Cohen, Sam Clements, and a few other collaborators were googlers before there was Google. They actually searched pertinent back issues of 19th-century periodicals for evidence of the origin and spread of “dude.”

The results appear in the October-November double issue of Comments, some 129 pages devoted entirely to the early days of “dude.”
Last edited by Volante on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OrangeSAM wrote:Oh, the other thing that had "dude" in the front of my mind was a Family Feud question from the previous hour: Asking 100 women, give us a word describes a bad date that rhymes with "dude".
And of course, this being the Steve Harvey version, the #1 answer was a euphemism for the penis just so Steve would do his tired "WHAT THE HELL?! YOU GUYS ARE SICK!!!" take.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Onairb wrote:
Hmmm. I didn't see it as sarcastic. I saw him clapping twice.

The first time was at the end of the Make a Famous Phrase category, where I think he was applauding the writers for the originality and humor in the clues. I even caught an audible laugh from Robin in there. How often do we hear contestants laugh?

The second time was at the end of DJ! when he turned to his left to give Shane his respect for holding the lead going into FJ!

Of course, I could be way off base, but Bob can certainly correct me (and you as well) if he wishes.
OCSam
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Dr. J wrote:My biggest problem is with the phrasing "dates back to," as if dudes and macaronis were contemporaries, when they were not. The new research clearly points to dude emerging in the 1870-80s. There may be a linkage, but dude does not date back farther than that, at least not in "dude" form. So, duuuuude...write a more precise clue next time.
But, duuude, if the writers were precise, there'd be nothing to discuss on this forum except wagering strategy!
As Red Forman might have said, "Writers...stop being weird!" As Stephen Hyde would have added, 'DUUUUUDE!'
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Totally enjoyable game. I'd never seen Robin play before and she was as good as I had expected.

I was shocked, SHOCKED, that the players did not get "musk ox". It really is Alex's favorite animal! It's part of Jeopardy! lore. And they showed pictures. It would be like not getting "Etruscan" if you were spotted "Those Darn . . .".

I am also very pleased to have arrived at the point where I've known at least one person playing in each game this week. I feel vicariously special.

Rex
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

?
Last edited by El Jefe on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i didn't think it could be done, but today's thread is now officially even more painful than yesterday's. congratulations, el jefe and lieph82. golf (and interlocutors), your reign was brief but i am sure you will be back with a vengeance.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Rex Kramer wrote:
I don't care; I said "What is coelenterata?" and picked up the Lach Trash with a smile. Sure, it's outdated, but it's a much cooler word.
Rex
Wayne&Garth wrote:WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!! WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!!
All I remembered was the siphonophores from my man-o'-war beef, and it doesn't look like that would have sufficed...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Here is the exact wording of the FJ! clue: New research says this word that has become ubiquitous dates back to young men also called "macaronis"

I checked my DVR recording and here: http://www.jeopardy.com/gamesandmobile/clueoftheday/
Well that's a relief, I managed to foul up the words "young" and "ubiquitous", but I was at least able to spell "says" correctly.