Thursday, March 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6789, 2014-03-06

Battle of the Decades: The 1990s game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Claudia Perry, a worker for an e-learning company from Evanston, Illinois
Mark Dawson, a writer and editor for the Honda Campus All-Star Challenge from Chamblee, Georgia
Dave Abbott, a musician and licensing executive from Fort Thomas, Kentucky

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard. Well, so far, our Battle of the Decades --1990s, has turned into a battle of the sexes. This week, in three matches,
three women have moved on. Is that good news for Claudia? Or does it put extra pressure on her?
Mark and Dave might want to put extra pressure on her. Good luck to all three. Here we go. The first round of play has one Daily Double, and these are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEBRASKA (5/5)
WHOSE SONG? (5/5)
INTERNAL FLUIDITY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ON THE BOOKSHELF (5/5)
IT WAS THE '90s (5/5)
ODDS & END"Z" (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will end with a "Z")

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mark: 16 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Dave: 8 R, 1 W
Claudia: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dave: $3,200
Mark: $3,000
Claudia: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Earlier this week, we had a couple of discussions with former champions as to how they spent their winnings. Claudia, you did something that was kind of exciting, I think.

Claudia: Yeah, um, I spent my 50th birthday in Antarctica. And just because everyone should spend a milestone birthday surrounded by penguins.

Alex: [ laughing ] All right, good for you.

Alex: Mark Dawson is from Georgia. Your last appearance on Jeopardy! in your original run...

Mark: Yes.

Alex: ...was the last time we gave away a fancy sports car.

Mark: That's correct.

Alex: It was a corvette?

Mark: Yes.

Alex: And it was also, uh,a momentous moment for some people because of...

Mark: Because my last show was your last show with a mustache. [ laughter ]

Alex: That tells you, folks, how long ago it has been...

Mark: [ laughs ]

Alex: ...since we saw him.

Alex: Dave Abbott is a musician and licensing executive. Kept his appearances on Jeopardy! a secret for a while until what happened?

Dave: Well, finally, my dad was confused because I went out and bought myself a conversion van. Used, of course, I'm --I'm very frugal.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Dave: Well, cheap. Cheap. [ laughter ]

Alex: So he realized that something was afoot.

Dave: Yes, yes, and so I had to explain to him because we were going through some issues with my brother and my mom and he was worried about me. So I had to convince him. "Now everything's fine."
And when I told him, that I'd been on Jeopardy! and, uh, they were gonna be on and I did this and...I won $68,000, he started to laugh. And he gave me a big hug. We were standing in the kitchen,
uh, at his house. And, uh, we wound up arm in arm on the floor just laughing like a couple of kids.

Alex: [ chuckles ] Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mark found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Dave had $3,800, Mark had $6,200, and Claudia was at $1,800. Mark wagered $3,000.

INTERNAL FLUIDITY $800: Plasma is blood without cells; this is blood without cells & clotting factors
(Dave: What is lymph?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Mark: $6,800
Dave: $4,600
Claudia: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 6, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WELCOME TO THE JUTE MILL (5/5)
1990s TV SHOWS (4/5)
BIBLICAL LETTERS (5/5)
CONSIDER THAT A DIVORCE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
IN THE DICTIONARY (4/5)
ISLANDS IN THE STREAM (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: You have to identify the stream. Actually, you have to identify the river.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Mark: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 2 DDs)
Claudia: 7 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mark snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Dave had $6,600, Mark had $10,800, and Claudia was at $7,800. Mark wagered $800.

CONSIDER THAT A DIVORCE $1200: Their storybook royal romance produced 2 daughters but ended in 1996
(Mark: Who are Princess Grace of Monaco and Prince Albert?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mark who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Dave had $9,800, Mark had $13,600, and Claudia was at $6,200. Mark wagered $2,000.

ISLANDS IN THE STREAM $2000: Elephantine Island & Kitchener's Island
(Mark: What is the Ganges River?)
(Alex: No, you're on the wrong continent. What is [*]?)
(Mark: Oh, of course. Kitchener, sure.)
(Alex: You had to go to Africa. Kitchener, Lord Kitchener.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
1990s TV SHOWS $2000: A self-absorbed TV personality urges his audience, "No flipping!"

ISLANDS IN THE STREAM $1200: On continental Europe:
Obuda Island
(Alex: Think of Buda...pest. [*].)

IN THE DICTIONARY $800: It's the point in the orbit of a planet at which it's nearest to the sun
(Dave: What's the perigee?)
(Claudia: What's the apogee?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dave: $16,200
Mark: $13,600
Claudia: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PULITZER PRIZE-WINNING AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Dave: Wager $11,001 to cover Mark.
Mark: Try wagering $1,999, which is as much as you can put up against Dave without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Claudia.
Claudia: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Mark, but if Mark decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He's the most recent winner of 2 Pulitzer prizes for fiction, winning in 1982 & 1991 for books in the same series

FINAL SCORES
Claudia: $5,800 + $5,800 = $11,600 (Who is John Updike?) (2nd place: $5,000)
Mark: $13,600 + $1,999 = $15,599 (Who is Updike?) (New champion: Quarterfinalist)
Dave: $16,200 - $11,001 = $5,199 (Who is John la Carre?) (3rd place: $5,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mark: $19,400, 25 R, 3 W (including 3 DDs)
Dave: $16,200, 17 R, 2 W
Claudia: $5,800, 12 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $41,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Mark: 26/61 = .426
Dave: 17/58 = .293
Claudia: 13/58 = .224
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ON THE BOOKSHELF $200: This Hemingway novel takes place over 3 days near Segovia, Spain in 1937
(Dave: What's "The Sun Also Rises"?)

ODDS & END"Z" $400: Here's our theme in this musical style associated with Vienna

1990s TV SHOWS $400: A young physician makes a new life for herself in the Old West
(Claudia: Um...what is...?)
[Claudia did give the correct response, but she had already run out of time.]

ISLANDS IN THE STREAM $1600: Off continental Europe:
Temple Mill Island & Eel Pie Island
(Claudia: What's the English Channel?)

BIBLICAL LETTERS $800: "P" es for these people whom Jesus calls "hypocrites" & "ye generation of vipers"
(Claudia: Who are the Philistines?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
serum
Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson
the Nile
The Larry Sanders Show
the Danube River
perihelion
John Updike
For Whom the Bell Tolls
waltz
Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman
the Thames
Pharisees
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Pulitzer Prize Winning Authors

He's the most recent winner of two Pulitzer Prizes for Fiction, winning in 1982 and 1991 for books in the same series.
Spoiler
Who is John Updike? Dave said John la Carre (actual spelling is le Carre)
Claudia Perry: $5,800+$5,800=$11,600
Mark Dawson: $13,600+$1,999=$15,599
Dave Abbott: $16,200-$11,001+$5,199

Mark advances to quarterfinals of Battle of the Decades, Claudia and Dave receive $5,000
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lieph82 »

A $0 (or very small) bet by Dave here would have won him the game regardless of FJ responses, similar to how Pam won on Tuesday. With a FJ category as well-defined and as fairly limited as this one, however, I think the cover wager was the right move. Unfortunately he couldn't come up with a correct response to a not-too-bad FJ. Well-played game by all three.

Did Dave write down John le Carré or John la Carré? If le Carré were the correct answer, would la Carré have been accepted? Imagining the shitstorm that would cause either way...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Easiest board by far. 17/30. Even more interestingly, I was 5/6 on the $1000 boxes (all but "bile"). Even more oddly, I think this is the only BOTD game so far where I didn't get any Lach Trash.

====

What was supposed to narrow down Nebraska for $200 to Omaha over Lincoln? That was my only miss in the category.

My "thank you, TV Tropes" gets of the night: "Reynard", "Stacy's Mom".

"Tom's Diner" was the only one of those five songs that I had never heard of. "Jessie's Girl" was too far back to get in time.

Spitz was my only miss in Odds and End"z". Surprisingly, I precalled "adz".

90's had me chicken out twice on 50/50s twice: Pager or beeper? Reebok or Nike? Only one I outright had no clue on was Thighmaster.

===

There's a Niagara River? It has islands in it?!

"Gunny" was my only get in Jute, which is one more than I expected since I have no idea what jute is. Couldn't imagine air being thick with "lint".

I also went for the mis-rebound on perigee.

"Wait, Philistine is wrong?!… Oh, duh, Pharisee." Stupid miss on my part.

Esau/Jacob "hairy/smooth"?!? There are witches in the Bible?!?

====

Yeah, I'm not even gonna guess on this one.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lieph82 wrote:Did Dave write down John le Carré or John la Carré? If le Carré were the correct answer, would la Carré have been accepted? Imagining the shitstorm that would cause either way...
He wrote 'la', which should have been negged, if correct.

No guess for FJ.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

econgator wrote:
lieph82 wrote:Did Dave write down John le Carré or John la Carré? If le Carré were the correct answer, would la Carré have been accepted? Imagining the shitstorm that would cause either way...
He wrote 'la', which should have been negged, if correct.

No guess for FJ.
I agree, but goodness we'd never hear the end of it.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash: "The Larry Sanders Show" and "Danube"

Didn't get FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Much better game today. Instaget FJ based on the years alone. Rabbit at Rest got past me last time it was a FJ, but not today.

Pretty sure it was la. Have they ever had to make a la/le ruling like this? Given some of the very generous rulings they've made in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed it.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

xxaaaxx wrote:Much better game today. Instaget FJ based on the years alone. Rabbit at Rest got past me last time it was a FJ, but not today.

Pretty sure it was la. Have they ever had to make a la/le ruling like this? Given some of the very generous rulings they've made in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed it.
I guess the case for acceptance of la for le would be that the English letter "a" can make a schwa sound in certain words, or sounds that are fairly close to the "e" in "le"? But I don't think the word "la" can reasonably be pronounced "le" in English. I know they are usually more lenient when it comes to vowels, though.
clprez

Post by clprez »

This was a hard one for me. I usually feel great when I get Lach Trash, and there wasn't any for me today.

I did do well on the DJs though.

I don't know much about FJ strategy, and I don't really understand why Mark didn't bet enough to at least cover Dave's amount going into FJ. It worked out okay, but it wouldn't have if Dave would have bet $0.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

clprez wrote:This was a hard one for me. I usually feel great when I get Lach Trash, and there wasn't any for me today.

I did do well on the DJs though.

I don't know much about FJ strategy, and I don't really understand why Mark didn't bet enough to at least cover Dave's amount going into FJ. It worked out okay, but it wouldn't have if Dave would have bet $0.
Mark bet the maximum amount he could bet to stay ahead of Claudia no matter what. This protects against Claudia winning on a sole get, but you're right, it doesn't protect against a small wager by Dave. It's a tough position to be in.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

I thought of le Carre for some reason, so I was relieved to at least be in good company. In fact, I was also with Dave on "The Sun Also Rises"!

This was one of the first BOTD games where it was really evident how important this game seemed to be to the contestants. I imagine that coming back after 10+ years is part emotional homecoming, part "Oh, God. Do I still have the chops?!" Claudia and Dave wore their hearts on their respective sleeves at the end of that FJ.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:There's a Niagara River? It has islands in it?!
Bobby, Bobby, Bobby... Have you never heard of Niagara Falls? Do you not know that there are three sets of falls? If you have heard of Niagara Falls, what river did you think they are on? And what do you think could possibly separate the river into three parts?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Fast moving game, much better than yesterday's.

Was embarrassed not to get FJ. Guess I'll have to return my English Degree. :D
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
Bobby, Bobby, Bobby... Have you never heard of Niagara Falls? Do you not know that there are three sets of falls? If you have heard of Niagara Falls, what river did you think they are on? And what do you think could possibly separate the river into three parts?

Brian
I thought they were on the St. Lawrence, because I have this uncanny ability to forget where exactly Lake Ontario is. Somehow I keep merging it with Lake Erie in my head.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
I thought they were on the St. Lawrence, because I have this uncanny ability to forget where exactly Lake Ontario is. Somehow I keep merging it with Lake Erie in my head.
If you ever get out this way, I'll give you a tour of the Niagara Peninsula (bounded on the north by Lake Ontario, the south by Lake Erie and the east by the Niagara River) and the Niagara Escarpment (which mostly bisects the city of Hamilton, and over which the Niagara River flows, "fall"ing a few hundred feet). Maybe experiencing it first hand will allow you to retain it a bit better.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote:
Bobby, Bobby, Bobby... Have you never heard of Niagara Falls?
Niagara Falls....Slowly I turned..step by step....inch by inch
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

My wife said "beeper" for "pager" (or was it vice versa) and I gave it to her. Any objections?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Elaine: But Honey! Niagara Falls...
Mortimer: Well, let it!

Brian