Friday, March 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6790, 2014-03-07

Battle of the Decades: The 1990s game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Brad Rutter, a Jeopardy's all-time biggest money winner from Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Mike Dupée, a post-graduate student from Gainesville, Florida
Jill Bunzendahl Chimka, a director of therapy from Washington, D.C.

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, ladies and gentlemen.
Well, we are now less than 30 minutes away from finding out the name of the Jeopardy! champion from our second decade on the air, who will move on to come back next month and play for that million dollars. Will it be Jill, Mike, or Brad?
Good luck. Let's start finding out, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OPRAH'S BOOK CLUB (3/5)
THE 2-DOORS (3/5)
THE WORLD WIDE "WEB" (5/5)
ALL SORTS OF SPORTS (5/5)
THE NEW YORK TIMES: THE 1990s (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HAIL TO THE CHEF (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brad: 15 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Mike: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Jill: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Brad: $5,600
Mike: $400
Jill: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jjeopardy! has become almost an annuity for Brad Rutter. He has won $3.3 million In his many appearances on our program. But I just found out that you tried out for our college championship initially...
Brad: That's right.
Alex: And you didn't make it.
Brad: I didn't. I passed the test, and I got to meet you at a hotel ballroom in New York, but for whatever reason --probably the fact that I was going on and on about my shotglass collection...
[ laughter ]
Brad: you guys didn't decide to put me on the college tournament, so... Uh, you know, I was --I held a grudge for a while. I'm not gonna lie. But everything worked out okay.
Alex: I think it did.
Brad: Yes, indeed.

Alex: Mike Dupée from Gainesville, Florida. Now your mom is the one who influenced you Into trying out for our program, right? What did she say to you?
Mike: She said, um, that I should try out for Jeopardy! but that I should wait until I'm age 30, because she felt like that was the perfect age for a Jeopardy! contestant.
Alex: Okay, and then what happened?
Mike: And it just happened to be that I was in Cleveland at age 30, and, um, you guys came to Cleveland and did a tryout. I felt like it was destiny.
Alex: Yes, destiny. It was an omen.
Mike: [ laughs ]

Alex: Jill Bunzendahl Chimka.
Jill: Yes.
Alex: If I remember correctly, the last time you appeared on our program, you were pregnant.
Jill: I was pregnant. I was pregnant with my daughter Sydney. Now she is 10 years old, and she's in the audience today watching me play.
Alex: Cheering you on.
Jill: Mm-hmm.
Alex: Is she bright enough to try out for kids' Jeopardy!?
Jill: She's a very smart kid, so...
Alex: Okay, good --good answer, good answer.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mike found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Jill had no money, Mike had $1,600, and Brad was at $7,200. Mike wagered $1,500.

THE NEW YORK TIMES: THE 1990s $1000: "Accord reached to end the war in Bosnia" in a 1995 story datelined this midwest U.S. city

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OPRAH'S BOOK CLUB $600: For Book Club 2.0, Operah chose "The Invention of Wings" by this author who once explored the secret life of bees
(Mike: Who is Doyle?)

OPRAH'S BOOK CLUB $800: The club's 70 Books In 15 Years included this biblically titled book by Jane Hamilton

THE 2-DOORS $400: In the early 1950s, Chevrolet PR exec Myron Scott came up with the idea of naming this 2-door for a type of fast warship
(Brad: What's a Corvair?)

THE 2-DOORS $1000: More than a "minor" success, this British car was born in a 2-door version in 1948

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brad: $7,200
Mike: $5,100
Jill: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ASIAN GEOGRAPHY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIE SONGS (5/5)
14-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CAUSES & EFFECTS (5/5)
TELL US WHAT HE'S WON! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brad: 18 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 1 W
Mike: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jill: 1 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brad snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Jill had $1,200, Mike had $5,500, and Brad was at $8,000. Brad wagered $3,000.

THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION $1200: On Dec. 16, 1773, members of this 8-year-old group left a meeting to board British ships & dump tea

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brad who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 7th clue. Jill had $1,200, Mike had $7,500, and Brad was at $12,200. Brad wagered $2,000.

ASIAN GEOGRAPHY $1600: Kotte, a suburb of this city, was once a capital of Sinhalese kings

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION $1600: This "New" city 20 miles from Newark served both the British & the Americans as a headquarters
(Alex: And that city is [*].)

14-LETTER WORDS $2000: Brainwashing is a type of this, the process of teaching an ideology & making sure it sticks

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brad: $30,600 (lock game)
Mike: $14,300
Jill: $0

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BIBLICAL NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Brad: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Mike: You've no hope of catching up... unless Brad does something stupid. So risk as much as $14,299; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In Genesis 4 this name is chosen because God "hath appointed me another seed"

FINAL SCORES
Mike: $14,300 + $14,000 = $28,300 (What is Seth?) (2nd place)
Brad: $30,600 - $0 = $30,600 (What is Ishmael?) (New champion: $30,600)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Brad: $28,400, 33 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Mike: $13,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jill: $0, 3 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $42,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Brad: 33/60 = .550
Mike: 19/59 = .322
Jill: 3/58 = .052
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE NEW YORK TIMES: THE 1990s $200: "Guilty At Last", said the Times when this don was convicted of the murder of Paul Castellano
(Mike: Who is Gambino?)

THE NEW YORK TIMES: THE 1990s $400: (New York Times reporter Linda Greenhouse gives the clue)
In a 1991 case I covered, the Supreme Court overturned a New York law aimed at preventing criminals from profiting by selling their stories-- a law informally named for this 1970s killer

THE NEW YORK TIMES: THE 1990s $800: (New York Times reporter James Risen gives the clue)
In 1998 I reported on the deadly al-Qaeda bombings of U.S. embassies in these 2 neighboring African countries, a prelude to the worse attacks to follow

THE WORLD WIDE "WEB" $400: Hyphenated appendage adjective for a frog or beaver
[Jill gave both responses; Alex noted they were both correct.]

THE WORLD WIDE "WEB" $800: Seen here is this diagram of ecological relations

THE WORLD WIDE "WEB" $1000: 19th century treaty that settled the northern boundaries of Maine & Wisconsin
(Brad: What is the Webber-Ashburton Treaty?)

MOVIE SONGS $1600: At the end of this David Lynch film, Nicolas Cage croons "Love Me Tender" to Laura Dern
(Jill: What is Blue Velvet?)

CAUSES & EFFECTS $1200: This genus is the most common bacterial cause of a sore throat
(Brad: What is What is strepto-lococcus?)
(Alex: Say that again.)
(Brad: [*].)

CAUSES & EFFECTS $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew is with Team Oracle at the America's Cup in San Francisco.) The lower pressure at the front of the sail generates faster-moving air and allows a vessel to travel as fast as 2 1/2 times the wind that is driving it, a demonstration of the effect named for this Swiss physicist

TELL US WHAT HE'S WON! $1600: 1967:
Arnold Schwarzenegger becomes a "star" for the first time
(Brad: What is Mr. Olympia?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Dayton
Sue Monk Kidd
"The Book of Ruth
Corvette
Morris Minor
the Sons of Liberty
Colombo
New Brunswick
indoctrination
Seth
John Gotti
the Son of Sam
Kenya and Tanzania
web-toed (or web-footed)
a food web
Webster-Asburton Treaty
Wild At Heart
streptococcus
Bernoulli
Mr. Universe
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

The way Brad Rutter played today, I don't know if anyone could have beaten him. This reminded me of his performance in the third game of the Ultimate Tournament of Champions finals. To me, it speaks to Michael Dupee's status as one of the greatest to ever play the game that he almost weathered the storm of playing Brad Rutter at his near-invulnerable peak to survive without a Runaway being thrown at him. Had he been able to ring in on that last clue first, Michael Dupee would have won this game despite Brad Rutter's otherworldly performance, and that's an astounding feat. I still believe Michael Dupee may be one of the five greatest players in Jeopardy! history, and I think he would have comfortably advanced to the round of fifteen had he been placed in any of the other four games this week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Biblical Names

In Genesis 4 this name is chosen because God "Hath appointed me another seed".
Spoiler
What is Seth? Brad said Ishmael
Jill Bunzendahl Chimka: $0, could not play Final Jeopardy...receives $5,000
Mike Dupee: $14,300+$14,000=$28,300....receives $5,000
Brad Rutter: $30,600-$0=$30,600...advances to quarterfinals of Battle of the Decades
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This was an incredible game. A dominating performance by Brad, but Mike was able to hold his own, if he nabs that last clue or one of the DDs (and gets it right), he wins the game.

I was really hoping Jill would get that last clue or else it would be a stand and stare. Would Brad have bet anything on FJ with a lock tie? In his situation, I might have stood pat. I would bet on Brad winning a buzzer race on the tie breaker.

Tough draw for Jill. I've never seen her play before and I'm sure she's a great player, but she was in way over her head against Brad. I think all four winners this week are glad they didn't have to face him.
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lieph82 »

Bamaman wrote:This was an incredible game. A dominating performance by Brad, but Mike was able to hold his own, if he nabs that last clue or one of the DDs (and gets it right), he wins the game.

I was really hoping Jill would get that last clue or else it would be a stand and stare. Would Brad have bet anything on FJ with a lock tie? In his situation, I might have stood pat. I would bet on Brad winning a buzzer race on the tie breaker.

Tough draw for Jill. I've never seen her play before and I'm sure she's a great player, but she was in way over her head against Brad. I think all four winners this week are glad they didn't have to face him.
Really, really impressive show by Brad, but that was a surprising miss on another not-deadly Final. I knew the quote, but I think it can be reasoned out pretty easily even if you don't. Amazing how close we were to a shocking FJ upset.

That's a tough decision, regarding the lock tie. Brad might be one of the few people for whom betting $0 would be a good idea. I think, if I were Brad, buzzer mojo and all, that would come down to how I felt about the category. If it wasn't one of my weak points, I'd go for the win right there; if I were weak in that particular category, I'd hope for a Dupee miss but still feel comfortable winning in a buzzer race in case he gets it right.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Can someone explain FJ to me?
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Now that you think about it, Brad Rutter's not the one to mess around...he'll sneak under the radar and grab an open opportunity to run away with a win. Brad's tough competition, especially with so many tournament wins taken to consolation.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Poor Jill just didn't have a chance. She rang in what, four times? Rutter seemed more animated than I remember him on the Watson episodes. I don't remember Dupée personally, but he really put up a fight against Rutter. Definitely not a bad two-man match at all.

====

A Million Little Pieces was my only get in books. My only other gets on the entire board were cobweb and web-foot. I have NHO that Cosby book, even though I've read several of his books.

The Miata has another name?

====

Clammed on videocassettes because it didn't feel like a 14-letter word to me.

Best get tonight: conjunctivitis.

"East Bound and Down" was my only get in Songs. I knew the $800 had America in the title, but couldn't put it together.

Three gets again in DJ!, the third being procrastinator.

====

I am vaguely aware that there's a Seth in the Bible somewhere, but I could tell you absolutely nothing about him. I didn't even have a valid WAG.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Great game by Brad, and Mike was pretty good. It would have been nice to see Jill finish in positive territory and play FJ.

Picked up Lach trash on "Corvette", "New Brunswick" and "indoctrination"

Got FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote:Can someone explain FJ to me?
Seth was the third? son of Adam and Eve. The "another seed" was granted to replace Abel, murdered by Cain.

I totally forgot about Seth and went with Abel.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote:
Seth was the third? son of Adam and Eve. The "another seed" was granted to replace Abel, murdered by Cain.

Ah, Ok. Thanks.
ACW

Post by ACW »

I'll be SHOCKED if Mike's total isn't enough for a Wild Card.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

econgator wrote:
Leander wrote:

Ah, Ok. Thanks.
If the next question is "why is this important and not biblical arcana?", it's because the whole chain of so-and-so begat so-and-so begins with "Seth begat Enos".

Later on in the Bible, they trace David's linage back to Adam through Seth, and later still, they trace Jesus's lineage to David, and then continue all the way back to Seth.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

ACW wrote:I'll be SHOCKED if Mike's total isn't enough for a Wild Card.
There are no wild cards in this round. The 15 winners from the three decade weeks all advance to a final tournament structured like the TOC.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

SPeaking of tiebreakers, the DD in the first round was essentially the tiebreaker clue that decided the finals of the 1996 Teen tourney. It was also the topic of the question one of the big Maury Povich 21 winners in 2000 lost on(I think Dave Legler)
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Leander wrote:

I totally insta-remembered Seth and then convinced myself it was Abel anyway. I figured the fall was in chapter 3, and then Cain and Abel in chapter 4, so Seth and the begats would have been in chapter 5. :evil: :evil: :evil:
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

Nice game. I for one would like to see Brad Rutter become the new J! host when Alex retires.
WilliamPorygon
Contributor

Post by WilliamPorygon »

Not surprised Brad won, but that was much closer than I would've expected. Congrats to Michael Dupee for giving Brad a run for his money.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Good game in a number of aspects. Brad was dominant as always, and Mike was able to keep up for the most part. I was hoping Jill would have a solid performance and surprise us, but when you're pitted against two champs of Mike and Brad's caliber, it's a tall task.

I like Brad, but I was kind of hoping that Mike would pull off the upset, and what's amazing is that he almost did. If Brad got that last clue in the DJ round wrong and Mike chimed in correctly, there wouldn't be a runaway, and Mike would be moving on since Brad didn't get FJ.

Speaking of which, I also missed FJ. Thought they were referring to one of Adam's sons, but I picked Abel.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell