Tuesday, March 4, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lillypie82
Valued Contributor

Re: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by lillypie82 »

Magna wrote:
reddpen wrote:No one else said Plutarch when asked for Petrarch?
Btw, I think the clue technically called for "Petrarchan" (It started off "This sonnet form"), which is what I said. Nothing that I know of is commonly referred to as "Plutarchan," so no great danger of confusion for me.
I think this might actually help me remember it next time!! (This time I said, "P-P-P.... Plutarch or Petrarch? which one is it? Petrarch?" but I was only 60% sure I had picked the right one.)
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Mathew5000 »

econgator wrote:
alietr wrote:What really sucks about FJ is that I must have crossed it at some point (twice, actually), and still had never heard of it. I went with Belgium/Holland as well.

Congrats, PamIAm!
Ditto -- once in a car, once on a train.
I've taken the bus from Heathrow to Cardiff, but slept through the border crossing.

The only previous mention of Offa's Dyke in the J! Archive was in the 1997 College Tournament (British History for $200); the clue was “8th C. King Offa built a 170-mile north-south dike that still partly marks the border of England & this country”. Then as now, a contestant thought that if it says dyke, it must be the Netherlands.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Well, that's kind of humiliating given that the clue spotted the contestant England. :shock:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

georgespelvin wrote:Well, that's kind of humiliating given that the clue spotted the contestant England. :shock:
Hey, obviously if we're talking dikes, the clue must be referring to WATER borders. :D
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Golf wrote:So could you live with throwing away $468k on nothing more than a wild guess? Doubtful. Just like I couldn't live myself losing the lead in Jeopardy when I answered FJ correctly.
You'd be surprised at what you can learn to live with. When I passed up $125,000 (and a shot at $1 million) on WWTBAM, when I had the correct answer to the $250K question in hand but decided to walk away, I was pretty upset for months. Eventually I got some perspective. Anything you take home from a game show -- a big jackpot, a couple thousand bucks, a thanks-for-playing and some fun memories, whatever -- is a windfall. Second-guessing yourself only does you any good if you're going to have the opportunity to use what you learned some time in the future.

Rex
I've been in your position, but one step higher. Out of LL's and 90%+ sure of the 500k answer, but not certain by any means. My game plan was to do anything and everything to reach 125k and then walk unless 100% certain. I wasn't certain therefore I walked. My answer would have been correct but not once did I ever regret not going for it. Not backstage, not a day later, now not over 10 years later. I followed my game plan to the letter and was rewarded handsomely.

But I strongly disagree with your statement of anything you take home is good. All those players with good amounts of money guaranteed if they walk, yet they take a seemingly wild ass guess and lose most of it. The comment "I came here with nothing so if I miss it's not a big deal" made me literally scream at the TV time and time again. The idiot might have come with nothing, but at the time being had $x, that's real money you just pissed away.

As far as thanks for playing and having some fun memories, I was there for one reason and one reason only. To win money. Lots of it. I knew the rest would take care of itself. This was a job, plain and simple.

The problem with most players on any game show is not having a plan, they put zero work into it beforehand and then when under the lights they have nothing to fall back on and make stupid decisions. Whether it be WWTBAM or FJ wagering strategy. This is why I can't stand Jeopardy players who just pull wagers from a hat and go merrily on their way like it's no big deal. If you're going to be a contestant, put some friggin' work and thought into it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A lot of people on Regis' show seemed willing to take a total guess at the 125K question as they felt the risk of dropping from 64K to 32K was worth it to get to 125K and maybe more. I probably would have done the same thing. But no way would I draw a number out of a hat on anything higher.

I used to love laughing at the idiots on DOND who would flush money down the toilet because they just knew they had the big money in their suitcase.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote:A lot of people on Regis' show seemed willing to take a total guess at the 125K question as they felt the risk of dropping from 64K to 32K was worth it to get to 125K and maybe more. I probably would have done the same thing. But no way would I draw a number out of a hat on anything higher.
And that's exactly what a good player should do, the upside is sky high and the downside isn't that bad. As I mentioned, I would have taken a wild guess on the 125k because I knew I had a decent possibility of running the table after that.

However a mediocre player should take the money and run since the chances of them going higher aren't very good.
CJS

Post by CJS »

Golf wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Golf wrote:So could you live with throwing away $468k on nothing more than a wild guess? Doubtful. Just like I couldn't live myself losing the lead in Jeopardy when I answered FJ correctly.
You'd be surprised at what you can learn to live with. When I passed up $125,000 (and a shot at $1 million) on WWTBAM, when I had the correct answer to the $250K question in hand but decided to walk away, I was pretty upset for months. Eventually I got some perspective. Anything you take home from a game show -- a big jackpot, a couple thousand bucks, a thanks-for-playing and some fun memories, whatever -- is a windfall. Second-guessing yourself only does you any good if you're going to have the opportunity to use what you learned some time in the future.

Rex
I've been in your position, but one step higher. Out of LL's and 90%+ sure of the 500k answer, but not certain by any means. My game plan was to do anything and everything to reach 125k and then walk unless 100% certain. I wasn't certain therefore I walked. My answer would have been correct but not once did I ever regret not going for it. Not backstage, not a day later, now not over 10 years later. I followed my game plan to the letter and was rewarded handsomely.

But I strongly disagree with your statement of anything you take home is good. All those players with good amounts of money guaranteed if they walk, yet they take a seemingly wild ass guess and lose most of it. The comment "I came here with nothing so if I miss it's not a big deal" made me literally scream at the TV time and time again. The idiot might have come with nothing, but at the time being had $x, that's real money you just pissed away.

As far as thanks for playing and having some fun memories, I was there for one reason and one reason only. To win money. Lots of it. I knew the rest would take care of itself. This was a job, plain and simple.

The problem with most players on any game show is not having a plan, they put zero work into it beforehand and then when under the lights they have nothing to fall back on and make stupid decisions. Whether it be WWTBAM or FJ wagering strategy. This is why I can't stand Jeopardy players who just pull wagers from a hat and go merrily on their way like it's no big deal. If you're going to be a contestant, put some friggin' work and thought into it.
1. So it was essentially like you were wagering $0 in FJ because of lack of certainty, yet you criticize one of the show's better players of the last 15 years for doing the (near)exact same thing? Maybe mbclev should be hounding at you instead of David Siegel for the rest of eternity ;)

2. Money is money no matter how much it is, whether it's $32,000 or $500,000. And those who live by the "I came with nothing" mantra are (more than often) more handsomely rewarded and more remembered than you were/are.

3. I won't deny that the rest can take care of itself if your only goal is to win money, but the overall experience for you would've been far more enjoyable if you went in with a "I'm here, therefore I've already won" attitude, with everything else being a bonus.

4. You can be the most prepared person in the world with the wagering savvy of a thousand champs, yet if you're opponent(s) are luckier than you (i.e. their "stupid decisions work out), you're screwed no matter what. Sometimes, not having a plan can actually turn out to be the best plan of all.

So in short, you're a cynical, buzz kill, hypocrite who's gleefully ignorant of the essential factor of luck.
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lieph82 »

There's a lot to be said for going in with a plan and sticking to it. We're seeing Arthur do that on Jeopardy! right now. I'm pretty confident that those who do this are much more successful on average than those who don't. And if you're successful and making lots of money, I think there's a very good change you're having an enjoyable experience.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote:I've been in your position, but one step higher. Out of LL's and 90%+ sure of the 500k answer, but not certain by any means. My game plan was to do anything and everything to reach 125k and then walk unless 100% certain. I wasn't certain therefore I walked. My answer would have been correct but not once did I ever regret not going for it. Not backstage, not a day later, now not over 10 years later. I followed my game plan to the letter and was rewarded handsomely.
I just can't respect a player who would bet against himself like that.