Wednesday, October 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6233, 2011-10-26

CONTESTANTS
Abigail Gardner, a library technician from Alexandria, Virginia
Ryan McCune, a pathologist from St. George, Utah
Gabor Vari, a psychiatrist from Los Angeles, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $34,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. A young champion of East Indian descent has been replaced by a young champion of Hungarian descent. Jeopardy! is so cosmopolitan, isn't it? Ryan and Abigail, newcomers, welcome aboard. Pick up your signaling devices. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And what do we have in store of categories?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I SAW IT ON TV (5/5)
"TIVITY" & COMPANY (5/5)
IT'S ALL ABOUT HER (5/5)
A LITTLE LEGALESE (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GOIN' SOLO (5/5)
STEAMBOATS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gabor: 16 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Ryan: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Abigail: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Gabor: $5,400
Ryan: $2,200
Abigail: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Abigail Gardner is a library technician at the defense department. But you specialize in a particular area. I want to hear about that.

Abigail: Uh, we do joint things. We collect papers of chairmen, vice chairmen, and commanders, um, including recently Petraeus and Colin Powell.

Alex: Are you dealing mostly with current members of the military, or do you deal also with papers that would have come from generals from a century ago?

Abigail: Not that far back. Um, starting in the '40s, primarily, when the Joint Chiefs of Staff began.

Alex: Okay. Is it fun?

Abigail: Yeah, you meet a lot of interesting people.

Alex: And you learn a lot about American history.

Abigail: Exactly.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Ryan McCune, a pathologist from St. George, Utah. Fluent in a language that is spoken by not that many people. How many?

Ryan: About 50,000.

Alex: And what is the language?

Ryan: It's called Chuukese. I'm no longer fluent. It's been, uh, a couple of decades since I spoke it. In Chuuk--in the Chuuk Islands in Micronesia.

Alex: In Micronesia?

Ryan: Yes.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Gabor Vari is a psychiatrist. He is our champion. But in college, you did some broadcasting work, didn't you?

Gabor: That's right. I was the color commentator for men's and women's ice hockey.

Alex: Now, is it true that you used to pretend that there were a lot of people there, and you'd fake sounds of the crowd, and...?

Gabor: Well, yeah, I mean, the women's team in particular, during the time that I was there, was number one in the country, and unfortunately, the turnout wasn't what it should be, so while my play-by-play partner was talking, I would do the--[imitates crowd cheering]--"I can't hear myself think" sort of thing.

Alex: [Laughs] Hey, it worked. Did it help popularize the women's hockey team, I hope?

Gabor: Somewhat.

Alex: Somewhat? All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Gabor found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Gabor had $6,000, Ryan had $2,200, and Abigail was at $400. Gabor wagered $4,000.

A LITTLE LEGALESE $800: Leading questions may be used when dealing with an adverse witness, also called this type of witness
(Gabor: What is argumentative?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A LITTLE LEGALESE $1000: Libel & slander are both forms of this 10-letter term, often found before "of character"

A LITTLE LEGALESE $400: This type of clause that sounds elderly was born in 1895, when Southern states used it to deny black suffrage
(Gabor: What are Jim Crow laws?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ryan: $4,400
Gabor: $3,800
Abigail: $2,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT'S NEW IN ARCHAEOLOGY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANAGRAMS (3/5)
NEWSPAPER HISTORY (5/5)
STATE'S RIGHTS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: ...we will give you a state, and you have to tell us which other state to the right of that state on a map has the longest border with it.)
AMERICAN ART & ARTISTS (5/5)
DREAMBOATS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gabor: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Ryan: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Abigail: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Gabor snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Gabor had $9,800, Ryan had $4,400, and Abigail was at $3,000. Gabor wagered $4,200.

WHAT'S NEW IN ARCHAEOLOGY $1200: Device used by Terry Herbert to find the "Staffordshire Hoard" of buried Anglo-Saxon gold

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ryan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Gabor had $13,600, Ryan had $6,800, and Abigail was at $3,000. Ryan wagered $4,000.

STATE'S RIGHTS $2000: Tennessee

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANAGRAMS $1600: Marcel is a saint for letting his wife dress him in this, especially the duchess or slipper style

ANAGRAMS $2000: The article suggested going to see this type of musical program

STATE'S RIGHTS $1600: Nebraska
(Abigail: What is Kansas?)
(Ryan: What is Missouri?)

WHAT'S NEW IN ARCHAEOLOGY $2000: The earliest known records of this Native American people's syllabary were found carved in a cave wall

DREAMBOATS $2000: He was on the cover of GQ magazine in April 2009 with the tagline "Interview With a Vampire"
(Abigail: Who is Alexander Skarsgard?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Gabor: $19,200
Ryan: $12,000
Abigail: $3,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DEATH OF AN AUTHOR

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Gabor: Wager $4,801 to cover Ryan, but no more than $13,199 so as not to fall behind Abigail's doubled score.
Ryan: You have the hope of surpassing Gabor if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,201 to force Gabor to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $5,999 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Abigail.
Abigail: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1940 at age 44 he died of a heart attack at his Hollywood home while reading his Princeton Alumni Weekly

FINAL SCORES
Abigail: $3,000 + $2,999 = $5,999 (Who is F. Scott Fitzgerald?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Ryan: $12,000 + $5,999 = $17,999 (Who was F. Scott Fitzgerald) (2nd place: $2,000)
Gabor: $19,200 + $4,801 = $24,001 (Who is Fitzgerald?) (2-day champion: $58,402)
(Alex: The author went there, to Princeton. It's a good school. Didn't graduate, though. Joined the Army instead.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Gabor: $20,200, 28 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Ryan: $10,000, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Abigail: $3,000, 9 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $33,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Gabor: 29/60 = .483
Ryan: 16/59 = .271
Abigail: 10/58 = .172
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
STEAMBOATS $400: Appropriately, a steamboat is in the background of the portrait of this American inventor

STEAMBOATS $600: On Aug. 22, 1787 John Fitch made a successful trial of his steamboat on the Delaware River before delegates to this
(Gabor: What is the Continental Congress?)

"TIVITY" & COMPANY $400: The quality of generating new ideas; it may be stifled by too many rules
(Gabor: What is originality?)

GOIN' SOLO $1000: ...from the Eagles with "All She Wants To Do Is Dance"
[Applause for Gabor's run of the category]

AMERICAN ART & ARTISTS $800: A 1948 action painting by this American artist is seen here

WHAT'S NEW IN ARCHAEOLOGY $1600: In 2011 a 1-ton anchor was recovered from his ship & he turned up in the new "Pirates of the
Caribbean" movie
(Gabor: Who is Davy Jones?)

DREAMBOATS $1200: This Brit had us the moment we saw him as the haughty (but smoldering) Mr. Darcy in a 1995 miniseries of "Pride and Prejudice"
(Ryan: Who is Hugh Grant?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
hostile
defamation
a grandfather clause
metal detector
North Carolina
satin (from saint)
recital (from article)
Iowa
the Cherokee
Robert Pattinson
F. Scott Fitzgerald
(Robert) Fulton
the Constitutional Convention
creativity
(Don) Henley
Jackson Pollock
Blackbeard (Edward Teach)
Colin Firth
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by jpahk »

two boardies on the show today. go bigbor and ryan!
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Death of an Author
In 1940 at age 44 he died of a heart attack at his Hollywood home while reading his Princeton Alumni Weekly.
Spoiler
Who is F. Scott Fitzgerald
Gabor Vari: $19,200+$4,801=$24,001...now a 2-day champion with $58,402
Ryan McCune: $12,000+$5,999=$17,999
Abigail Gardner: $3,000+$2,999=$5,999
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Congrats again, Bigbor! That was a great game for you and Ryan both.

FJ was pretty straightforward, I thought. Enjoyed the boards overall. To my nonexistent shame, the whole Dreamboats category was cake.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

no idea where I gleaned that from, but somehow I intuited the FJ answer.

Nice game, bigbor! Clutch win against a very tough opponent!
Ran the anagram category; all but one was an instaget. Had to answer that one as "satin..?" Just didn't feel right.
Also blew right through legalese. Yay for watching every L&O series elebenty times each!
Ryan
Contributor

Post by Ryan »

Suze wrote:Congrats again, Bigbor! That was a great game for you and Ryan both.

FJ was pretty straightforward, I thought. Enjoyed the boards overall. To my nonexistent shame, the whole Dreamboats category was cake.
I have a few relatives who are going to disown me for missing Rob Pattinson. So much for all that time I spent studying Entertainment Weekly. ;)
Last edited by Ryan on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Insatget on FJ, although I vaguely remember from the Mitford biography of Zelda Fitzgerald that Scott died on a public street.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Same as Paucle... not sure how I knew it, but he popped into my brain about 10 seconds in and it just felt correct. (And it made me laugh - my dad still gets the Princeton Alumni Weekly, but he didn't graduate from there either. I gather he partied too much. :lol: But he wound up at RPI, so not a bad backup.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not even a guess on FJ. Spent the whole time exploring the Princeton angle rather than thinking of popular authors in the early 1900s.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Bamaman wrote:Not even a guess on FJ. Spent the whole time exploring the Princeton angle rather than thinking of popular authors in the early 1900s.
I tried to think of scientists or academics from Princeton who were also famous authors.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Can someone please explain to me how FJ is a triget? I had absolutely no idea where they were going with this. Is F. Scott known for dying relatively young and hanging out with Hollywood? Seriously, no idea on that one.

j! was a dream board, going 27/1, and I should've got Billy Holliday. Ran Saw It on TV, Legalese (how? :shock: ), Goin' Solo. Shoulda ran States' Rights, but I switched Louisiana and Mississippi around. Also, took the 50/50 on Boston Globe/Herald and got it wrong.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote:Can someone please explain to me how FJ is a triget? I had absolutely no idea where they were going with this. Is F. Scott known for dying relatively young and hanging out with Hollywood? Seriously, no idea on that one.
He is known for dying young, but that didn't help me any.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DWS wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Not even a guess on FJ. Spent the whole time exploring the Princeton angle rather than thinking of popular authors in the early 1900s.
I tried to think of scientists or academics from Princeton who were also famous authors.
Same here, but I knew Einstein didn't die in 1940.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to bigbor on another win!

I only knew the "defamation" clue because of the FJ clue that was used in Michael Rankins' first round UToC game.

FJ was an instant get for me. The year and the Princeton connection led me straight to Fitzgerald. I agree that it's not a great clue, but it is still far from the worst FJ clue that they have ever used on the show, and authors' biographies do seem to be a staple of the show. I wish that the writers would move away from having clues on authors' biographies and focus on having clues that deal mainly with their literary works, but it is what it is.

Gabor is a demon on the buzzer and has a very wide knowledge base. I am glad that I haven't had to go up against him.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Suze wrote:Congrats again, Bigbor! That was a great game for you and Ryan both.

Ditto on the dreamboats.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

econgator wrote:
DBear wrote:Can someone please explain to me how FJ is a triget? I had absolutely no idea where they were going with this. Is F. Scott known for dying relatively young and hanging out with Hollywood? Seriously, no idea on that one.
He is known for dying young, but that didn't help me any.
He is also known for "selling out" to Hollywood and becoming a screenwriter in order to make living. And having an affair with the gossip columnist Sheila Graham, who wrote " Beloved Infidel" about their relationship. Hence the Princeton+Hollywood= had to be Fitzgerald.
Casey Stengel.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Fitzgerald has also been on the tip of my short term memory lately because I've been following Boardwalk Empire. Every time the actress who plays Jimmy's wife is on screen with her short hair style it brings to mind his story "Bernice Bobs Her Hair". Hence are random connections formed that lead to aha! moments.
Casey Stengel.
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

What an entertaining game -- great categories, great competition between Gabor and Ryan, and an unusual FJ category that nonetheless ended up a triple get. I thought the DD in State's Rights wasn't as difficult as its placement might have seemed, but then, it ain't that far to TN from here.

And I thought it amusing that it was a psychiatrist and a pathologist playing, as well: a physician who does lots of talking with his patients vs. one who...doesn't.

Good (retro) luck tomorrow, Gabor!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm in Paucle-ville for solving the FJ clue. I also have to admit to knowing nothing of the facts in the clue and even Alex's pre-reveal remarks did nothing for me. It's embarrassing that death year, Princeton, heart attack, and Hollywood all rang no bells. My guess was Fitzgerald for this reasoning: Died young in 1940 has him writing in 1920s or 1930s.

Guess Fitzgerald. I had little confidence, but I had no better name to guess as I could not eliminate Fitzgerald based any of the clue's wording either. It's a guilty solve, but I'll take it.

I think it's a good thing I got on the show in my early 40s. Tonight, defamation, contempt and Colin Firth were "You've got to be kidding me blanks." One a few times a week has always happened over the years. Three in one game for me is no fun. If that wasn't bad enough, I also blurted out Ray Man to blow the run in Art.

I made up for it by guessing the right vampire with Pattinson. Daniel Craig must have had a hint in the wording I missed? I had no idea who to guess on that one on a quick reading for the first clue in the category.

Gabor: You had a funny TV moment with the premature clappage to end the J! round, but at least it was in the spirit of good sportsmanship.