Friday, March 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, March 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by koam »

Paucle wrote:
hanzz wrote:Anyone else think of this infamous Final?
seaborgium wrote:Yes, and I cursed the fact that knowledge acquired from it couldn't help me here.
I vaguely remembered it, and unless I'm not seeing something right, doesn't this FJ make that one even infamouser?* How was Olivier not a correct answer to the 2006 one?

*I know it's not a word.

Instaget for Nicholson.

Didn't think long about others, but thought maybe Hopper, Eastwood, Beatty, Hoffman, Voight.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

legendneverdies wrote:Billiards category
Spoiler
Clues were about the break, the bank shot, the jump shot, the combination shot, and a called shot
Thad won due to inoptimal wagering from his opponents in second and third, and that's never happened before :)
Beg to differ. Matt's wager from second place was the only one of the three that was exactly right: the $1-shutout wager in the event Cameron goes all in. Thad's wager was "inoptimal" (what a word) as he needed to wager $11,201 to lock out Matt. His over-wager ended up costing him $799.

Of course it was Cameron's wager that was horrid. With her only hope being that the guys would wager rationally but miss, she wins on the TS with a wager no larger than $8,600, but loses by going all in when there is nothing to gain by it. You're right, though: never happened before.

:roll:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

EndlessEntropy wrote:Went with Gregory Peck for FJ as well. I knew The Boys from Brazil but Olivier wouldn't have been my guess. I'm only familiar with his Shakespeare roles anyway.
Dang! That's the movie that wasn't coming to me. My first thought was Olivier, but I remembered him in Marathon Man in the 1970s, where he played a hunted ex-Nazi, not a Nazi hunter. I couldn't get unstuck from the notion that I was misled, and failed to put down my correct answer. Poop.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Had a busy Friday so I didn't get to watch until just now.

====

"…after SHE received her Nobel Prize." "Who is Curie?" "Which one?" "Um, Madame?" I still call BS even with Econgator's explanation due to UiscePreston's counter.

Billiard was obvious throughout, but I could only get $200 and $600 in time.

0/5 in Contemporaries (non sequitur all the way!) but I ran Snap.

Quarters seemed like it would be easy, but I've NHO John Muir and had no idea what state Grant Wood was from, so I went 3/5.

====
dhkendall wrote:The first clue in the baseball category had the words "new jersey", and unfortunately sidetracked me to wonder about teams in that part of the country (which I knew none of them had red birds as the logo. Damn you Jeopardy! All Caps Convention!)
That one derailed me too, since I was pretty sure that NJ doesn't have an MLB team, and I couldn't make the switch to red bird = Cardinal = STL in time.

Heh heh, they said "butt".

"Pump" means to extract information?!?

How have I heard of Planck before? The Big Bang Theory? FoxTrot?

Id seemed too easy at $2000.

====

No guess on FJ!, so I'm 0 for 10 the past two weeks. Couldn't even think of any prominent 30s actors at all. NHO Boys of Brazil.
koam
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by koam »

I thought the J Close Quarters were all easy. Muir Woods is in Cali, near SF. Grant Wood, I think "American Gothic" Location? and came up with IA: p = 0.80, IL: p = 0.05, WI: p = 0.15.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Jaksiel wrote:I got the right FJ! response for the wrong reason. I knew Olivier had been in Marathon Man, but I was pretty sure he was a former Nazi in that movie, and not a Nazi hunter. Since I had nothing better, I had to go with it. Luckily, he ended up being the correct response anyway.
Exactly the same for me. But it sounded right, too, that he had been nominated in five decades.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

Onairb wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Paucle wrote:
hanzz wrote:Anyone else think of this infamous Final?
seaborgium wrote:Yes, and I cursed the fact that knowledge acquired from it couldn't help me here.
I vaguely remembered it, and unless I'm not seeing something right, doesn't this FJ make that one even infamouser?* How was Olivier not a correct answer to the 2006 one?

*I know it's not a word.
I would guess because the earlier clue was referring to the 5 decades immediately preceeding the time in question; not simply five decades in total. But I could be wrong.

Brian
No, you're right. The 2006 clue specifically says so, while the Olivier clue, although not specific, also covers a different set of five consecutive decades( looked it up, and Olivier's first nomination was in 1939,the last, as stated, was 1978, so it's that somewhat surprisingly tricky idea where 'something that happened over a period of (x) years took place during a total of (x +1 ) decades.'
Similar deal with Meryl Streep. First nominated in 1978, and a nomination in each decade since then, with her last one being in 2013. So 35 years between her first and last nominations, but "five decades" of nominations.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:NHO Boys of Brazil.
None of us have. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boys_from_Brazil
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Did anyone else understand how J! came up with the wording of this clue:

""Thousands of Sunni Muslims are seen here in Mecca celebrating this Fifth Pillar of Islam."

Isn't this needlessly specific? Did this really happen to be only Sunnis in the picture? So far as I can tell there are groups of Shia that organize to visit Mecca and their ceremonies may happen to be separate in other parts of Saudi Arabia, but are there really Sunni-only times for the Kaaba?

I mean, sure it's for the Sunni only that Hajj is the 5th pillar, and Sunni is the most populous sect, but any reason to believe there weren't Shia in the picture as well?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:How have I heard of Planck before? The Big Bang Theory? FoxTrot?
He planked his first man when he was 7 and he hasn't stopped since. (From possibly my favourite Cracked article)
El Jefe wrote:are there really Sunni-only times for the Kaaba?
Yes, they're called Sunni Days. (Sweeping the, clouds away ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:How have I heard of Planck before? The Big Bang Theory? FoxTrot?
He planked his first man when he was 7 and he hasn't stopped since. (From possibly my favourite Cracked article)
On my way...
OCSam
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

OrangeSAM wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
On my way...
To where the Arabs meet!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

One of my favorite Life in Hell's was Akbar & Jeff's downtown garage. Their motto was "Where the Elite meet defeat on our concrete." Seaborgium's line reminded me of that one.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Yes, they're called Sunni Days. (Sweeping the, clouds away ... )
Before reading your parenthetical part, I had a completely different song come to mind.

What does that say about me?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Add me to the list of folks that thought of "Marathon Man" in FJ instead of "The Boys From Brazil", but ran through that stop sign and said Olivier anyway.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.