Thursday, October 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6234, 2011-10-27

CONTESTANTS
Alex Johnson, an actor and theater intern originally from Danvers, Massachusetts
Sunny Stalter, an English professor from Auburn, Alabama
Gabor Vari, a psychiatrist from Los Angeles, California (whose 2-day cash winnings total $58,402)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex Trebek: Thanks, Johnny. Well, now, this is a little strange, folks. My name is Alex, but growing up, my nickname was "Sunny". And so we're happy to welcome Sunny and Alex to our show today. Gabor is an excellent champion. But good luck to all three of you. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ADDRESS ME (4/5)
FILL IN THE ANIMAL (5/5)
THE EMPIRE STRIKES PLAQUE (5/5)
THE "BEST" OF EVERYTHING (5/5)
MOST POPULAR BABY NAMES BY YEAR (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MYTHBUSTERS (4/4) (Jamie: I'm Jamie.) (Adam: And I'm Adam from Mythbusters, where we use the scientific method...) (Jamie: ...and the love of making things go "boom"...) (Adam: ...to tell fact from fiction.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gabor: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Sunny: 11 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Alex: 4 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sunny: $2,800
Gabor: $2,600
Alex: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex Trebek: Alex Johnson is an actor and theater intern who once had a job, in fact I believe it was your first job, which was tied in with acting, but a little different. Tell us.

Alex Johnson: I, uh, I was a singing elf at a character breakfast. Uh...

Alex Trebek: Every day?

Alex Johnson: Uh, during the Christmas season. Um, I think I did it, uh, I was young. I was maybe 12, I think I did it on Saturdays and Sundays for a couple weeks. It's the best money I ever made as an actor, actually.

Alex Trebek: Uh-huh.

Alex Johnson: That's--I wish that wasn't true, but it is.

Alex Trebek: All righty.

Alex Trebek: Sunny stalter, English professor from Auburn, Alabama. Newlywed. And your husband proposed how?

Sunny: Uh, by GPS.

Alex Trebek: How does one propose by GPS?

Sunny: Well, when we first started going out, we really liked to do geocaching, where you look for hidden treasures based on the GPS locations that you find on a web site.

Alex Trebek: Right. Uh-huh.

Sunny: So there was a morning, I was really sick, I didn't wanna go out, and he said, "No, honey, we need to go find this geocache today." He had the coordinates written down. We got there, and I noticed there was a card in the bush. And I opened it, and it said, "Will you marry me?"

Alex Trebek: Oh, how romantic. I love that story. Way to go.

Sunny: Thank you.

Alex Trebek: Gabor is our champion. He is of Hungarian descent. We've already talked briefly about that. And at home, you are trying to keep the Hungarian language alive for your son, is it?

Gabor: That's right. I have a wonderful 15-month-old son named Alexander. And I speak to him in Hungarian, my beautiful wife Hillary talks to him in English, and so he's trying to figure out the two worlds.

Alex Trebek: Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sunny found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Gabor had $4,200, Sunny had $6,400, and Alex had a deficit with -$200. Sunny wagered $1,600.

MOST POPULAR BABY NAMES BY YEAR $400: 1998, girls:
One of the Bronte sisters
(Alex Trebek: Not Charlotte, not Anne, but [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ADDRESS ME $600: On "Everybody Loves Raymond", Ray & Debra lived at 320 Fowler; these people, across the street at 319

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sunny: $8,000
Gabor: $5,000
Alex: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ADDRESS ME (5/5)
THE TONY AWARD FOR BEST PLAY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CERAMICS (2/3)
MY "K"OUNTRY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POSTHUMOUS POP HITS (3/5)
MAKING WORDS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gabor: 10 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Sunny: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Alex: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alex snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Gabor had $4,600, Sunny had $8,000, and Alex was at $800. Alex wagered $2,000.

THE TONY AWARD FOR BEST PLAY $800: 2005:
This drama of nuns, priests & uncertainity

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Gabor who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 6th clue. Gabor had $7,400, Sunny had $8,000, and Alex was at $4,000. Gabor wagered $5,600.

MY "K"OUNTRY $1600: This Eastern African country is on the Indian Ocean

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE TONY AWARD FOR BEST PLAY $400: 1988:
This story based on an opera set in Asia
(Gabor: What is Miss Saigon?)

THE TONY AWARD FOR BEST PLAY $2000: 2011:
This, also a term for a play that gets trotted out over & over
(Alex: What is, uh, Next to Normal?)

MAKING WORDS $2000: Big river structure
+
long period of time=
this injurious consequence

POSTHUMOUS POP HITS $1200: 1981:
"Watching The Wheels"

POSTHUMOUS POP HITS $2000: 1995:
"I Could Fall In Love"

CERAMICS $1200: Porcelain is basically made from a mixture of 2 ingredients: petuntse & kaolin, a pure white type of this
(Gabor: What is glass?)
(Sunny: What is chalk?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sunny: $15,200
Gabor: $14,600
Alex: $4,800

PREFINAL REMARKS
(After the Jeopardy! Round, Sarah Whitcomb of the Jeopardy! Clue Crew presents a Footnote about President Obama's directive to the Mythbusters.)
President Obama felt the reason the Mythbusters crew failed in previous attempts to replicate Archimedes' solar ray was due to insufficient manpower. So Jamie and Adam enlisted the help of 500 students, a move that went hand in hand with the President's desire to get kids engaged in math and science.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Sunny: Wager $14,001 to cover Gabor. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $4,401.
Gabor: Your score is within 4/5ths of Sunny's, so wager between $1,201 (venusian) and $4,999 (martian), beating Sunny's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Alex's part.
Alex: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Gabor, but if Gabor decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $3,600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The villain's visage in this movie series was partly chosen due to its likeness to an 1893 work by a Norwegian artist

FINAL SCORES
Alex: $4,800 + $4,800 = $9,600 (What is Scream?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Gabor: $14,600 + $4,999 = $19,599 (What is Scream?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sunny: $15,200 + $14,000 = $29,200 (What is the Scream series?) (New champion: $29,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sunny: $14,000, 17 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Gabor: $10,600, 23 R (including 1 DD), 7 W
Alex: $3,600, 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $28,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Gabor: 24/59 = .407
Sunny: 18/59 = .305
Alex: 11/59 = .186
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE EMPIRE STRIKES PLAQUE $800: The British Dental Association says there is little danger from this element that's always present in amalgams
(Sunny: What is lead?)

THE EMPIRE STRIKES PLAQUE $600: British dentistry has advanced since medieval barbers performed this procedure using a tool called the pelican
(Gabor: What is a root canal?)

MOST POPULAR BABY NAMES BY YEAR $600: 1914, boys:
A gospel writer
(Alex: Uh, who is Mark?)

MOST POPULAR BABY NAMES BY YEAR $200: 1971, boys:
An archangel
(Gabor: Who is Gabriel?)

MYTHBUSTERS $200: (The Mythbusters deliver the clue.) The idiom "going down like a lead balloon" implies that lead balloons can't fly but by constructing a balloon & filling it with enough of this inert gas, we achieved lift-off, myth busted!

MYTHBUSTERS $400: (The Mythbusters deliver the clue.) In the 15th century, Leonardo da Vinci designed a cannon powered by the rapid expansion of this; he thought it would fire projectiles 3,000 feet, but our test showed that the idea was mostly hot air

MOST POPULAR BABY NAMES BY YEAR $800: 1930, boys:
Like Goddard or Benchley
(Gabor: What is Peter?)

MOST POPULAR BABY NAMES BY YEAR $1000: 1950, girls:
"Pretty" en español
(Alex Trebek: With less than a minute, here we go.)

MYTHBUSTERS $600: (The Mythbusters deliver the clue.) We tested a story of unlikely survival using a parachutist hitting a see-saw to launch a girl several stories up but she'd be subjected to 42 of these units, exerted on an object by changes in speed, so a safe landing is unlikely indeed

MYTHBUSTERS $800: (The Mythbusters deliver the clue.) 500 mirrors reflected the sun's rays on a ship's sail which got hot, but failed to catch fire; at President Obama's request we were testing a method invented by this ancient Greek mathematician
(Sunny: Who is Pythagoras?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]
(Alex: And I saw that show, by the way.)

MAKING WORDS $1600: Automobile
+
absent=
this aromatic cooking seed
(Gabor: What is cardamom?)

ADDRESS ME $1200: In a 1951 farewell address after he was fired, he lamented, "Old soldiers never die; they just fade away"
(Alex: Right, with a minute to go.)

ADDRESS ME $1600: About to become prime minister of a new country, he ended his 1947 "Tryst with Destiny" speech "jai hind"
(Gabor: Who is Gandhi?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Emily
Ray's parents
Doubt
Kenya
M. Butterfly
War Horse
damage
John Lennon
Selena
clay
Scream
mercury
an extraction
John
Michael
helium
steam
Robert
Linda
a g
Archimedes
caraway
MacArthur
Nehru
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Re: Thursday, October 27, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

I assume "Madame Butterfly" is unacceptable ("M. Butterfly")?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

thejeopardyfan wrote:I assume "Madame Butterfly" is unacceptable ("M. Butterfly")?
Very much unacceptable.

So, imagine my surprise when I heard that Scream was the correct response. Having never seen any of them, I had no clue what the villain looked like. I thought of Voldemort from the Harry Potter series. This one will get my vote for hardest of the first half (yes, I realize that the movie and picture have essentially the same name, but I would have no reason to make that connection).
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

This should've been instaget but, being the one that always approaches FJs from the wrong angle, I tried to think of the movie series first. :roll: Thankfully, the light went off with 5 seconds left, Norwegian ->Munch -> oh, right...

ETA: though obviously, one would need to have seen the villain's mask once or twice.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

thejeopardyfan wrote:I assume "Madame Butterfly" is unacceptable ("M. Butterfly")?
Correct. M. Butterfly is a different work entirely, the abbreviation is intentional, and can't be accepted otherwise.

Unlucky there Gabor, I think you just got nicked by a good competitor in Sunny.

I'm humiliated to say I got final Jeopardy wrong. I knew it was the Scream, and I knew the look, but I was only thinking of the look as the focus of the clue and "What movie series that is well known as the name of that work, you autistic idiotic man?" So I had said Harry Potter just because of Voldemort's look. *le sigh*
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

econgator wrote:
Very much unacceptable.

So, imagine my surprise when I heard that Scream was the correct response. Having never seen any of them, I had no clue what the villain looked like. I thought of Voldemort from the Harry Potter series. This one will get my vote for hardest of the first half (yes, I realize that the movie and picture have essentially the same name, but I would have no reason to make that connection).
Thank you. That's kinda what I thought.
The Final was an absolute slam-dunk for me. I don't think you need to have seen any of the movies to get it right, but maybe some would disagree....
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

thejeopardyfan wrote:I don't think you need to have seen any of the movies to get it right, but maybe some would disagree....
No, you don't need to have seen them, but I couldn't even tell you who the villain is -- or even that there is one. It's not like Friday the 13th, where even if you've never seen one, you've likely heard of Jason Voorhees and that he wears a hockey mask. Or Michael Myers and Halloween. About all I can tell you about Scream is Wes Craven and Courteney Cox.

And you're welcome. :)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:I don't think you need to have seen any of the movies to get it right, but maybe some would disagree....
No, you don't need to have seen them, but I couldn't even tell you who the villain is -- or even that there is one. It's not like Friday the 13th, where even if you've never seen one, you've likely heard of Jason Voorhees and that he wears a hockey mask. Or Michael Myers and Halloween. About all I can tell you about Scream is Wes Craven and Courteney Cox.
Then I guess I'm lucky that the only thing I know about Scream is what Ghostface looks like. If they had asked about Cox or Craven (I can never keep straight which director made which horror movie series), yikes.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I knew exactly which painting the FJ clue referred to, and I am a big fan of the Scream movies, but I still couldn't pull this one. I can't believe that I missed it.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

With only three more regular games before the TofC, and SUnny becoming the new champion today, the TofC field is set(although some of the games after Joon were taped after the TofC I think). Another woman named Sunny was a contestant on Alex T.'s infamous PItfall show from Canada 30 years ago, and that Sunny was in the bonus round, missing a number of easy questions, and forgetting to use the important pit passes so she didn't lose time going down to the second row of the bonus round and having to answer a question to get back up to the top of the bridge.
Last edited by legendneverdies on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

econgator wrote:

And you're welcome. :)
I'd say the "Scream" villain is as well-known as the Friday the 13th and Halloween villains.
alamble

Post by alamble »

I'm mostly annoyed that they didn't finish out the Mythbusters category. I love Jamie and Adam.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

alamble wrote:I'm mostly annoyed that they didn't finish out the Mythbusters category. I love Jamie and Adam.
Mythbusters probably helped in leaving three unrevealed clues between the two rounds, including one Mythbuster clue.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

alamble wrote:I'm mostly annoyed that they didn't finish out the Mythbusters category. I love Jamie and Adam.
I've seen every episode, I recognized all 4 myths shown, and I was still laughing my head off. If I were in their shoes, they could've given me 1000 takes, I wouldn't have been able to deliver that seesaw clue with a straight face :mrgreen:
Yinzer
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Yinzer »

Came up with Scream halfway through, kept ignoring the category and focusing on the painting, then I slapped my forehead. My brother went as the Scream mask in like 6th grade for Halloween, back when Neve Campbell was the hot new thang.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Movies
The villain's visage in this movie series was partly chosen due to its likeness to an 1893 work by a Norwegian artist.
Spoiler
What is Scream?
Sunny Stalter: $15,200+$14,000=$29,200...now a 1-day champion with $29,200
Gabor Vari: $14,600+$4,999=$19,599
Alex Johnson: $4,800+$4,800=$9,600
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

No comments yet on Sunny offering the tie? Obviously Gabor made the smart play by betting to win on a Sunny miss, but wow, that would have to haunt your dreams for months to know that you could have bet it all, won nearly $30K, and gotten to continue playing with a pretty decent chance at making the next TOC. It looked like Sunny turned to Gabor and said something right after FJ was over, and I wondered if she was pointing out to him that she offered him the tie, and Gabor appeared to be quite gracious in defeat. Anyway, congratulations on a great run, Gabor, and I hope you haven't beaten yourself up too badly, as you definitely made the right play, although I'm sure you already knew that.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

jeff6286 wrote:No comments yet on Sunny offering the tie? Obviously Gabor made the smart play by betting to win on a Sunny miss, but wow, that would have to haunt your dreams for months to know that you could have bet it all, won nearly $30K, and gotten to continue playing with a pretty decent chance at making the next TOC. It looked like Sunny turned to Gabor and said something right after FJ was over, and I wondered if she was pointing out to him that she offered him the tie, and Gabor appeared to be quite gracious in defeat. Anyway, congratulations on a great run, Gabor, and I hope you haven't beaten yourself up too badly, as you definitely made the right play, although I'm sure you already knew that.
I hope he didn't lose any sleep over it. You can't ignore good wagering strategy on the faint hope that the opponent you were neck-and-neck with offers to bring you back to slug it out another day. Now, if the situation were different, going all-in was the correct wager, and you foolishly left a dollar behind, like so many people do? Then it can and should haunt you forever ;)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Counts me as another Munch->Scream->Voldemort (hmm ... that could be a Grateful Dead or Phish set somehow). Sorry to see you go, Gabor, but hope you had a great time!