Wednesday, October 26, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by thenextofken »

jeff6286 wrote:
I think it may have been discussed the other day, but does anyone know the exact tape date of this episode? The wildfires in Texas must have just happened when the show was recorded, and I believe that is the 3rd or 4th example we've noticed this season of a clue based on really, really current events.
I mis-read the clue and thought it said "Sept 2001," obviously thinking of 9-11. I only got it because I'm in Texas and know where Bastrop is. Well, kinda.

FJ was an instaget. For some reason, dates and age struck a chord with me. Plus, having read "Gatsby" in college, I remembered it took place in the northeast, so "Princeton" helped cinch it.

Incidentally, his Wikipedia bio says he reportedly found movie work degrading, but did so due to his financial situation.

On another clue, I thought "Northern Ireland" belonged much closer to the top of the board when spotted "conflict" and "Great Britain."

I bit on the neg bait of "Christian Science Monitor" for Boston Globe, especially since it mentioned reviews of sermons.

I knew all those hours spent watching "Superior Court" in the late 80's would pay off. Otherwise I never would've gotten the "hostile witness" DD.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

The "State's right" Nebraska I got immediately because I once drove from Qc to Nebraska; I still remember the 5 hours it took me to cross Iowa ;-/

FJ : I guessed Fitzgerald too. Like many others, I didn't have an alternative. It couldn't be Hemingway (too early, not in the right part of the world).

Didn't see the spelling on the bond-shell : might have had a chance at it otherwise ;-(
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by Wimple »

Got hostile witness from "My Cousin Vinny."
Got FJ!, but just from the dates and NE connection. I wasn't very confident, so was pleased with the get.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote:Can someone please explain to me how FJ is a triget? I had absolutely no idea where they were going with this. Is F. Scott known for dying relatively young and hanging out with Hollywood? Seriously, no idea on that one.
You're in good company. I had nothing.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

He's one of those hoity-toity writers, TPH, rarely mentioned in country music lyrics (if ever!) so you really had no shot!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Daniel Craig must have had a hint in the wording I missed? I had no idea who to guess on that one on a quick reading for the first clue in the category.
That it was a blonde, I guess? Honestly, I thought they were looking for a Bond Girl the way they worded it.
I did too, at first. But then I noticed they spelled it "blond", not "blonde". Many usage mavens distinguish between the two, with "blond" being the masculine form. (A quick search of the archive confirms that Jeopardy! writers follow this rule.) Once I considered the possibility they were looking for a guy, the answer was obvious.

Looking back at the wording, I think we were both just thrown off by the phrase "blond Bond-shell". The obvious play on "blonde bombshell" got us thinking of women. The rest of the clue seems obviously to refer to a man:

Time magazine said this blond Bond-shell has shoulders & pecs "so well defined, they could be in Webster's"

While one might refer to a woman's "well defined" "pecs" if she were a bodybuilder, that's generally not how one praises a Bond Girl. The non-muscular protuberances immediately adjacent garner all the attention.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

To balance the States' Rights category they should have an Occupy category where you have to guess the city the clue implies.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Looking back at the wording, I think we were both just thrown off by the phrase "blond Bond-shell". The obvious play on "blonde bombshell" got us thinking of women. The rest of the clue seems obviously to refer to a man:

Time magazine said this blond Bond-shell has shoulders & pecs "so well defined, they could be in Webster's"

While one might refer to a woman's "well defined" "pecs" if she were a bodybuilder, that's generally not how one praises a Bond Girl. The non-muscular protuberances immediately adjacent garner all the attention.
Probably what threw me too; "Dreamboats" didn't really fire off any synapses, so upon the clue's reveal I'm thinking "Ursula Andress?...No, there has GOT to be something I'm missing here..." so I kept quiet. Then the category fell into place on the reveal.

Anyone else toy with Joyce Kilmer for the final, if only briefly? I knew Trees was inspired from one on an NJ campus, the years seemed right (he apparently died in WW1. I did not know that)...then I remembered he was Rutgers. Not sure how I settled on Fitzgerald, didn't know he went to Princeton, didn't know he moved to Hollywood, KNEW he was buried in some obscure WDC area cemetary, (it's close enough...WDC metro area), I just figured '1940', died young...must've written in the 20s...not Hemingway...Fitzgerald? Better than Kilmer at least.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

OK, I think the "Kids Week" thing is overused. It's okay if you have no trouble getting 5 out of 5; that doesn't *necessarily* mean the show's done something wrong.

Not surprised to hear Gabor's comments about his DD, as he looked pretty shocked and annoyed that his answer wasn't accepted. But, as someone said, no one is objecting to the witness when they say "objection, argumentative".

The FJ discussion interests me. We're supposed to get this from Princeton, right? That's how I got it, but reading the thread is making me wonder how strong the connection between Fitzgerald and Princeton is.
Ryan
Contributor

Post by Ryan »

omgwheelhouse wrote:The FJ discussion interests me. We're supposed to get this from Princeton, right? That's how I got it, but reading the thread is making me wonder how strong the connection between Fitzgerald and Princeton is.
The Princeton thing was a total red herring for me. I got it because of the year, age of death, and Hollywood.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I got the Princeton reference through the inside knowledge of having lived in Princeton for 40+ years.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

omgwheelhouse wrote:OK, I think the "Kids Week" thing is overused. It's okay if you have no trouble getting 5 out of 5; that doesn't *necessarily* mean the show's done something wrong.

Not surprised to hear Gabor's comments about his DD, as he looked pretty shocked and annoyed that his answer wasn't accepted. But, as someone said, no one is objecting to the witness when they say "objection, argumentative".

The FJ discussion interests me. We're supposed to get this from Princeton, right? That's how I got it, but reading the thread is making me wonder how strong the connection between Fitzgerald and Princeton is.
For me, the connection is very strong. I just automatically associate the two. Princeton is a major setting for This Side of Paradise, Fitzgerald's first novel; but I don't think that's the only reason I connect them.

So when the category was "Death of an Author" and Princeton showed up in the clue, F. Scott was my first thought. I had a leisurely 30 seconds to examine the rest of the clue and make sure it all fit with the instaget.

Hollywood, of course, was another major clue. Fitzgerald's unfinished novel, The Last Tycoon, was set there.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

thenextofken wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
I think it may have been discussed the other day, but does anyone know the exact tape date of this episode? The wildfires in Texas must have just happened when the show was recorded, and I believe that is the 3rd or 4th example we've noticed this season of a clue based on really, really current events.
I mis-read the clue and thought it said "Sept 2001," obviously thinking of 9-11.
Interestingly, I misread the same way too. Didn't think of any NY connection, clammed actually; my rationale for clamming was "the terrorist attacks probably drove this event to page 27 of the paper, so I shouldn't be ashamed of not hearing of this one."
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

First order of business: Congrats again, Gabor, and sorry to see you fall short, Ryan. As for Fitzgerald, maybe a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I never, ever, would have thought of Fitzgerald since I know that he and Zelda are buried just up the road from here in Rockville, MD. The dying in Hollywood threw me way off, and I knew nothing about him and Princeton. I was pretty shocked at the triple get. Ah well.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also thought it said 2001. There were some fires in the southwest a few years ago that forced the Cardinals (I think) to move a home football game. I thought that was the fires they were going for.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Bamaman wrote:I also thought it said 2001. There were some fires in the southwest a few years ago that forced the Cardinals (I think) to move a home football game. I thought that was the fires they were going for.
I can remember fires in the San Diego area that forced the Chargers to move a home game to the Cardinals' stadium, but that was more recent than 2001.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

I'm confused about the $2000 DJ clue in What's New in Archaeology.

My understanding was that the Cherokee syllabary was devised by Sequoyah in the 19th century; why would it be found on a cave wall? Does anybody know what this clue is referencing?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

fowlerism wrote:I'm confused about the $2000 DJ clue in What's New in Archaeology.

My understanding was that the Cherokee syllabary was devised by Sequoyah in the 19th century; why would it be found on a cave wall? Does anybody know what this clue is referencing?
Forgive me for being glib, but it would be found on a cave wall because someone put it there.

http://www.archaeology.org/1001/topten/cherokee.html

I hadn't heard about that, but I got it because Cherokee's the only Native American language I knew of with a syllabary.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

trainman wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I also thought it said 2001. There were some fires in the southwest a few years ago that forced the Cardinals (I think) to move a home football game. I thought that was the fires they were going for.
I can remember fires in the San Diego area that forced the Chargers to move a home game to the Cardinals' stadium, but that was more recent than 2001.

That was it, got my locations mixed up. I found an article about it, the game was played October 27, 2003.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=1647633
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

DBear wrote:Is F. Scott known for dying relatively young and hanging out with Hollywood?
Yes and yes. The early death and the year were what got me there. Too soon for either Faulkner or Hemingway.
DBear wrote:j! was a dream board, going 27/1, and I should've got Billy Holliday. Ran Saw It on TV, Legalese (how? :shock: ), Goin' Solo. Shoulda ran States' Rights, but I switched Louisiana and Mississippi around. Also, took the 50/50 on Boston Globe/Herald and got it wrong.
Ditto on the J round: I went 28-0, clamming on defamation and Stevie Nicks. Then DJ ate my lunch as I got 18R and missed 4. The bit about sermons in a Boston paper made me say The Christian Science Monitor -- glad I wasn't alone. Not cluing in to the Dreamboat title in time, I went with Ursula Andress for a blond Bond-shell. She had pretty well-defined pecs and shoulders... Also picked MO over IA and Mexico over Guatemala.
In and out of the pool four times