Tuesday, March 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:I had to laugh at Alex opening with the Asta comment because of Nick & Nora that would be common knowledge to older viewers and no clue to youngsters. If I had a $ for every time I've filled in the dog's name in a crossword puzzle...
Precalled that joke before Alex started talking. "Nick and Nora...okay, there's no way that was random." (Getting a Nick and Nora in the studio for the same filming I will chalk up to coincidence. They're not going to pull from the pool for a very brief, relatively obscure joke...but if the opportunity presents on the day of filming...)

Final, instant.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Jonah's a short, fun read. I've probably written some posts to the JBoard that were longer. Well, maybe not. I hope not.

Other fun facts about Jonah: [SNIP]
Where's that Like button again? Excellent post, my Spheniscidic colleague.
overkill94

Post by overkill94 »

What up Deucer!

Sorry to knock off Gordon, ladies - I know he's dreamy. You're going to have to deal with my ugly mug for at least another day.

A few comments on last night's episode:
- I know betting $200 on a daily double is kinda dumb, but I don't know much French and I just wanted to be able to say "I'll make it a true daily double" without much consequence
- Gordon was a nice guy, but definitely spacey; we were told to show up in our TV-ready clothing and he showed up in jeans and a sweatshirt
- The lady from Monday's game was super pissed about not betting enough - she said when she was prepping that bodies of water was one of her weak spots which is why she bet so low
- We were all a bit miffed by the Rhyme Pays category until after the $200 triple stumper, usually Alex tells you about that before the round starts
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

Volante wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I had to laugh at Alex opening with the Asta comment because of Nick & Nora that would be common knowledge to older viewers and no clue to youngsters. If I had a $ for every time I've filled in the dog's name in a crossword puzzle...
Precalled that joke before Alex started talking. "Nick and Nora...okay, there's no way that was random." (Getting a Nick and Nora in the studio for the same filming I will chalk up to coincidence. They're not going to pull from the pool for a very brief, relatively obscure joke...but if the opportunity presents on the day of filming...)
They've also paired up Doug & Julie (twice!) and Victor & Nikki, ranked #2 and #3 on welovesoaps.net's list of 50 Greatest Soap Couples (there was a game featuring Luke & Laura, but not in that order).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Can a pairing of Victor/Victoria be far behind? :lol: BTW, I internally noted the Nick & Nora coincidence before Alex's comment (MarkBarrett: how about that as a poll question?)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:Opus: Great post about Jonah - I would add Tarshish though as it could be used in a J! clue.
Excellent addition. I went ahead and edited the post so all the information would be in one place. I ended up adding several other points that I discovered or thought of as I checked my facts on Tarshish. The new section looks like this:
  • The ship left from Jaffa (Joppa), which is basically the only ancient Israel port city you need to know.
    • The Jaffa area is the oldest part of modern day Tel Aviv
    • Hence, the municipality's full name is Tel Aviv-Yafo.
    • The name survives in the Jaffa-Jerusalem railway.
    • Jaffa Railway Station was the first railway station in the Middle East.
    • The name also survives in the Jaffa orange.
  • The ship was headed for Tarshish.
    • Nobody's quite sure where that is.
    • It might or might not be the same place as Tarsus in southern Asia Minor.
    • If so, that's the same place the apostle Paul (aka Saint Paul, formerly Saul of Tarsus) hailed from.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

El Jefe wrote:And also that bowl in 1 Kings doesn't mean the BiblePeople(tm) thought pi was three (.0) either.
Ha!

Hey wait a minute. Maybe pi was 3.0 back then. Maybe we're just using a later revision of the same basic constant. Who do I have to talk to if I want to beta test version 4?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

overkill94 wrote:- Gordon was a nice guy, but definitely spacey; we were told to show up in our TV-ready clothing and he showed up in jeans and a sweatshirt.
Don't be so hard on him. I'm sure he was prepared to take the sweatshirt off. He was just waiting for the right moment.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Opus: Great post about Jonah - I would add Tarshish though as it could be used in a J! clue.
I would also add the analogy that God draws at the end of Jonah. Jonah sits under the shade of a plant that God provides for him. Then God sends a worm to eat the plant. Shelterless, Jonah wishes he were dead. God contrasts Jonah's anger over the death of a tree with his apparent apathy about the lives of thousands of hapless Ninevites.

Pavlov: tree + worm + prophet = Jonah
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cheezguyty wrote:
Volante wrote:
They've also paired up Doug & Julie (twice!) and Victor & Nikki, ranked #2 and #3 on welovesoaps.net's list of 50 Greatest Soap Couples (there was a game featuring Luke & Laura, but not in that order).
Don't forget the Harley/Quinn match! http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3593
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:Harley/Quinn
I'll take "I'll be in my bunk" for $400, Alex.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

cheezguyty wrote:They've also paired up Doug & Julie (twice!) and Victor & Nikki, ranked #2 and #3 on welovesoaps.net's list of 50 Greatest Soap Couples (there was a game featuring Luke & Laura, but not in that order).
Doug & Julie and Victor & Nikki are both on Sony-produced soaps. Coincidence?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

If it had been Nick & Norah, I don't see Alex coming up with infinite playlist.
OCSam
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Wait, why didn't they take stay?" Derp, because it doesn't rhyme with "payS", stupid.
Forgive me, but why doesn't "stay" rhyme with "pays"? To me, they are close enough to be considered a rhyme. (I'm not into poetry; that's why I'm asking.)

Also, time to bring out ol' Jason Dunstall again (thanks to Nora's stupid DD bet):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9z2Dtzd2GQ
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mbclev wrote:To me, they are close enough to be considered a rhyme.
Rhyme is binary; it does or it doesn't. There is no "close enough".
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

econgator wrote:
No, I think there might be a gray area in this. (Again, I'm not into poetry, so I must let the experts handle this.)
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

mbclev wrote:
econgator wrote:
No, I think there might be a gray area in this. (Again, I'm not into poetry, so I must let the experts handle this.)
English syllables are split into the onset and the rhyme. The rhyme is made up of the nucleus (the vowel(s)) and the coda (whatever comes after the vowels). If two words have final syllables with equivalent rhymes, they are considered to rhyme.

For the syllable "stay," the rhyme is /ej/. For the syllable "pays," the rhyme is /ejz/. There's a coda on the latter but not the former, so they're not equivalent, so they don't rhyme.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

econgator wrote:
In English classes, we always learned about 'slant' rhymes, but those are way too nuanced/argumentative for J!, and STAY doesn't even pass slant-rhyme standards...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

El Jefe wrote:
econgator wrote:
In English classes, we always learned about 'slant' rhymes, but those are way too nuanced/argumentative for J!, and STAY doesn't even pass slant-rhyme standards...
Sez who?
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

opusthepenguin wrote:Excellent addition. I went ahead and edited the post so all the information would be in one place. I ended up adding several other points that I discovered or thought of as I checked my facts on Tarshish. The new section looks like this:
  • The ship left from Jaffa (Joppa), which is basically the only ancient Israel port city you need to know.
    • The Jaffa area is the oldest part of modern day Tel Aviv
    • Hence, the municipality's full name is Tel Aviv-Yafo.
    • The name survives in the Jaffa-Jerusalem railway.
    • Jaffa Railway Station was the first railway station in the Middle East.
    • The name also survives in the Jaffa orange.
[/list]
I always thought Jaffa and Haifa were the same thing -- different transliterations -- and just learned differently. From the archive, it looks like they both come up a fair amount on the show.
The name also survives in Jaffa Cakes (I presume named for the orange flavor). Yum.

Someone asked about the Newbery award -- yes, that's for American authors only (as is the Caldecott for American illustrators), so Roald Dahl wasn't eligible. Otherwise, not a bad guess -- the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie was in the 60s (1964 not 1968), and I didn't think Dahl had written anywhere near 50 books, but I forgot about his adult fiction including short story collections and his nonfiction, and he actually wrote more than 50.