Wednesday, March 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Re: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nserven »

I really hate these music sales stat FJs.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

naurae29 wrote:Picked up Loch Trosh - See what I did there? I'm hilarious! - and "hypoglycemia," "sawbones," and "nitrous oxide."
Have you suddenly turned into Woll Smoth? :D
naurae29 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I could've sworn blue whales had the longest gestation. What'd I miss?
I mean, the right answer?
Yeah, I do that a lot. Guess I just figured largest animal = longest gestation.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

nserven wrote:I really hate these music sales stat FJs.
Someone missed the Bieber question!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

zakharov wrote:
nserven wrote:I really hate these music sales stat FJs.
Someone missed the Bieber question!
Don't forget the infamous Taylor Swift question.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This is getting weird... for the second time this week I ran the J board. Ran into a few stumpers on the DJ board, then the wheels fell off on FJ (was 50/50 on Beyoncé and Rihanna, having run with the "newcomers" comment; Madonna was considered and discarded, sad to say)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was great to see the Team Players handled first and well although Gabor's confidence level on those and many other clues was lacking.

Hope Mike Shairo was watching tonight: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8745

William Wallace for Loch Ness monster was a creative miss.

I got the TS on sawbones, but gave it right back doing the sacreligious for sanctimonious error.

Taylor Swift? No
Justin Bieber? No
Madonna? No

I don't hate the clues or the music categories, but my success rate needs some work. I saw how the clue was saying to go further back than Bieber or Lady Gaga, but how far? I wrote Taylor Swift to have a guess as I did not trust the writers not to use her again.

I considered Jennifer Lopez making money off American Idol, but that is 2014 and does show judging money really count? Thinking of the show made me consider Mariah Carey since she was paid well for her season. I looked at Taylor Swift on the paper and thought about Katy Perry as a possible.

Madonna did not enter the thinking pattern since I was never on the concert track.

Enough of these misses. I'm getting the next music FJ! clue.

There has been a lot of calliope music since Arthur left.
aeq5006
Valued Contributor

Post by aeq5006 »

I guess they don't require people to get the accent right, because I'm pretty sure it's PRA-do, not pra-DO. On the "haircut" one, the only thing that came to my mind was "fleeced". It seems to me that even though it wasn't what they were looking for, it fits the clue. And would they have accepted "laughing gas" for nitrous oxide? The fact that Alex specifically called it "laughing gas" implies they would have, and "oxide" wasn't in quotes. I wonder whether the first wrong answer on the Loch Ness monster one primed the other two to think of a person; if you're thinking in terms of legends in the sense of myths, rather than in the sense of heroes, Scotland -> Loch Ness Monster is pretty hard to miss.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Surely we can agree that a game show chat board is not the best place for a throwdown about the First Amendment?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
aeq5006
Valued Contributor

Post by aeq5006 »

dnbguy wrote:I put Madonna because of "newcomers", but I could've sworn I just saw a headline the other day that said Taylor Swift was the highest paid person in music. Maybe I'm going crazy?
According to Billboard, TF is the top earner at $39 M. According to Forbers, TF had $55 M, but Madonna had $125 M. I'm trying to figure out what's up with that.

ETA:

http://www.fuse.tv/2014/03/taylor-swift ... op-earners
BIllboard released its "Money Makers 2014" list today, which tabulates 2013's richest musicians. No, this isn't the exact same thing as Forbes' list of the year's highest-paid musicians, because Billboard's inputs are different and stricter. The Money Makers list accounts solely for money made off of music and touring in the United States last year, using proprietary data as well as numbers from Nielsen and various streaming and digital services.

Unlike Forbes, this Billboard list does not take endorsements or other revenue streams into account. It provides a narrower, more precise number, though these too rely on royalty and revenue estimations that differ by artist.
I guess none of the contestants read the Billboard list. It seems rather ridiculous to expect contestants to know not only who was at the top, but on which list.
Last edited by aeq5006 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

chalupabatman786 wrote:Was it just me, or did Trebek mispronounce Joakim Noah's first name?
He did -- should be more like JO-a-kim.

Katy Perry for FJ. Never would have come up with Madonna.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

With Gabor on the show today, I guess nobody named Eva was in the greenroom this week.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

econgator wrote:
chalupabatman786 wrote:Was it just me, or did Trebek mispronounce Joakim Noah's first name?
I've already deleted the show from the DVR and I can't rightly remember how Alex pronounced it. The Chicago sportscasters all say joe-keem, so judge from that. (It's inconsistent which syllable gets emphasis.)
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Budphrey wrote:
econgator wrote:
I've already deleted the show from the DVR and I can't rightly remember how Alex pronounced it. The Chicago sportscasters all say joe-keem, so judge from that. (It's inconsistent which syllable gets emphasis.)
He said it more like Joaquin Phoenix says his name (WA-keem).
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I'm wondering if "Los Angeles" would have been sufficient for the Beckham clue.

Sure there's another MLS team in Southern California, but it's called Chivas USA, with no "LA" in the name.
OCSam
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

El Jefe wrote:Half of the time Alex screws up a movie quote rhythm or accent too much to appreciate it, but he honored the Airplane! line awesomely. (MOVIE QUOTES- $1600
I got this because someone posted a link to it here not long ago.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

clprez wrote:I got FJ because I knew that Madonna did a concert tour last year, and the ticket prices were ridiculous.
Yeah, wasn't it the "Celebrating 30 Years of Awful Music" tour or something like that? :D
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This is getting ugly.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
naurae29 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I could've sworn blue whales had the longest gestation. What'd I miss?
I mean, the right answer?
Yeah, I do that a lot. Guess I just figured largest animal = longest gestation.
So, counterintuitively, size and gestation period don't track super well. Beluga whales have longer gestation periods than blue whales. Porcupines have longer gestation periods than sheep, which in turn have longer gestation periods than lions. Chinchillas and tigers? About the same gestation period.

There's no doubt it's remarkable that blue whales have a gestation period only a couple of months longer than humans. BUT there were other facts in the clue. And I think this is one of the many times that it's important not to stop reading simply because you think you have the right answer.

Though the specific length of the gestation period may not have been particularly helpful here, the weight of the newborn was: 220 pounds might sound like a big baby, but it's just the weight of a big but not enormous adult male human. A bit lighter than Mike Tyson, a bit heavier than Eli Manning. On the other hand, a blue whale calf weighs 2.5 metric tons - 5500 lbs. That's a pickup truck. (Also, blue whale calves apparently *gain* about 200 pounds each day during their first several months.)

In short, the bit about the 220lbs wasn't extraneous. It was probably the clue writers trying to help you out by pointing away from (really big) whales.
Golf

Post by Golf »

skullturf wrote:Barbra Streisand popped into my head.
dnbguy wrote:I just saw a headline the other day that said Taylor Swift was the highest paid person in music.
Bamaman wrote:Considered Streisand
MarkBarrett wrote:I wrote Taylor Swift to have a guess
econgator wrote:Katy Perry for FJ.
OK, I'm really not sure how many people saw through the clue, but after the above comments it's obvious they did not. So I apologize in advance if the reason nobody has mentioned it because it was obvious.

The clue said "Beiber and Gaga", not Justin Beiber and Lady Gaga. In a trivia question that is unusual incomplete information, so why did they do that? To lead the players to a one-named artist. And that one named artist had to be around well before the other two because that kind of information is somewhat subjective, so they weren't going to leave any doubt it was much earlier. Therefore Madonna was the obvious answer although Cher is not a bad guess.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

That's clever. Kudos on the catch.