Thursday, March 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6799, 2014-03-20

CONTESTANTS
Diane Levinson, a book publicist from Astoria, New York
Brendan Getzell, a tutor and musician from San Francisco, California
Gabor Revy, an aerospace engineer from West Chester, Ohio (whose 1-day cash winnings total $24,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. You know, folks, this is turning into the kind of week I really enjoy --contestants at the top of their game, performing well, and earning a lot of money as a result of that. Let's see if Diane, Brendan, and Gabor can keep that trend going today. Good luck. Here we go. Categories for this first round today are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORLD OF MUSIC (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FRUIT & VEGETABLE VENDORS? (5/5)
REWRITING THE PRESIDENTIAL OATH (5/5) (Alex: You have to correct our wording.)
I AM THE DANGER (5/5)
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS (5/5)
SAY MY NAME (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Diane: 13 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Brendan: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Gabor: 7 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Diane: $4,000
Brendan: $1,800
Gabor: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Diane Levinson is a book publicist who has done some pro bono work of getting people out to vote, voter-registration drives.

Diane: That's right.

Alex: And you have discovered the best time to do that.

Diane: The best time to do that is right after a new-citizen-swearing-in ceremony. So, people take the test, and they pass, and they take the oath of citizenship, and we would set out a table outside the courthouse, and people would come out and register to vote. So, "welcome to the country. Now you're a citizen. Here's the next step."

Alex: And they register to vote, and they also unwittingly register for jury duty.

Diane: Well, no avoiding that.

Alex: Yeah. Two weeks after becoming a citizen, I got a letter --"your name has been selected at random
for jury duty."

Alex: All right, Brendan Getzell, tutor and musician who hosts the San Francisco Bay area's most popular what?

Brendan: Open mike. Yeah.

Alex: And what does that mean --open mike?

Brendan: We basically make --everyone comes in, signs up. We make a nice, long list, and anyone who wants
to perform a song, a dance, a dramatic reading, which can get a little macabre, can totally do that. We get 40 to 70 performers a week, yeah.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Our champion, Gabor Revy, from West Chester, Ohio. He's a first-generation Hungarian.

Gabor: That is correct.

Alex: And that means your parents came over.

Gabor: Yes, both from Hungary. My dad in '57, actually, the year after the revolution, and my mom actually came over on the day of the moon landing, so July 20, 1969. She set foot on planet United States, and Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon.

Alex: So, both of your parents came to America on historically significant days.

Gabor: Yeah. You could say that.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brendan found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Gabor had $200, Brendan had $2,200, and Diane was at $4,000. Brendan wagered $1,000.

WORLD OF MUSIC $600: In 1993 Yanni returned to his homeland for a series of concerts & a live album recorded atop this ancient hill

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SAY MY NAME $400: "Breaking Bad" fans know this last name of 1932 Nobel physics prize winner Werner
(Gabor: What is von Braun?)
(Alex: Oh, if you've watched the series, you will know about [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Diane: $7,200
Brendan: $6,800
Gabor: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 20, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IMAGINE DRAGONS (4/5)
LABOR UNIONS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PUT A "CAP" ON IT (5/5)
THE 2nd CENTURY (3/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE MERCURY ASTRONAUTS (3/5)
MOVIE & TV COMPANIES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gabor: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Brendan: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Diane: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brendan snagged the next Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Gabor had $11,000, Brendan had $12,000, and Diane was at $9,600. Brendan wagered $800.

LABOR UNIONS $1600: Robert Montgomery & Ronald Reagan each served 2 stints as president of this

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Gabor who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Gabor had $13,400, Brendan had $12,800, and Diane was at $9,600. Gabor wagered $1,000.

THE 2nd CENTURY $800: This Roman emperor visited Britain in 122 A.D. & had some ideas for military construction
(Gabor: Uh...What's his name?)
(Alex: I know.)
(Gabor: Who is [*]?)
(Alex: That's it, yes. You know, also. [ laughs ]
Way to go. Built a wall.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MERCURY ASTRONAUTS $1200: Alan Shepard's many accolades included a Medal of Honor for space & a Langley medal from this institution
(Gabor: What is NASA?)
(Diane: What is the CIA?)
(Brendan: What is the NSA?)

IMAGINE DRAGONS $1600: His 1898 story "The Reluctant Dragon" was reissued in 1953 to coincide with a "Wind in the Willows" reissue

THE MERCURY ASTRONAUTS $2000: Usual nickname of Donald Slayton, who was one of the original 7 named in 1959 but didn't make a space flight until 1975
[end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Gabor: $14,400
Brendan: $12,800
Diane: $10,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OTHER POLITICAL PARTIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Gabor: Wager $11,201 to cover Brendan.
Brendan: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Diane, hoping that you give the correct response and Gabor doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $8,801 to cover Diane's doubled score, but no more than $9,600 if you want to top Gabor on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $1,999 and win if both Gabor and Diane miss Final.
Diane: You ought to try wagering between $2,001 and $6,800. This will top a $0 wager by Brendan while still beating Gabor and Brendan on the Triple Stumper (should Gabor wager to cover Brendan's doubled score and Brendan wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1908 this animal appropriately became the mascot of the Prohibition Party

FINAL SCORES
Diane: $10,800 + $6,000 = $16,800 (What is the camel?) (New champion: $16,800)
Brendan: $12,800 - $12,700 = $100 (What is the bull?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Gabor: $14,400 - $5,601 = $8,799 (What is a tiger?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Gabor: $14,200, 19 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Brendan: $13,200, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Diane: $10,800, 18 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Diane: 19/58 = .328
Gabor: 19/59 = .322
Brendan: 17/60 = .283
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SAY MY NAME $800: This prince, Rainier's son, has competed in the Olympics 5 times on Monaco's bobsleigh team
(Gabor: Who is Prince Alfred?)

WORLD OF MUSIC $400: A symbol of hope
to its people, an orchestra of mostly self-taught musicians in Kinshasa plays this composer

WORLD OF MUSIC $800: Guitars, violins & trumpets typically make up this type of Mexican ensemble heard here

THE ONE WHO KNOCKS $1000: The Orlando sentinel didn't like "Gigli": these 2 stars "flunk chemistry 101; a potato produces more electricity"
(Gabor: Who is Angelina Jolie and Ben Affleck?)

LABOR UNIONS $400: The blue on the emblem of the largest national union of these is for "the thin blue line protecting those we serve"

LABOR UNIONS $1200: Soon after the United Rubber Workers was founded in this city in 1935, it went on strike against Goodyear
(Brendan: What is Detroit?)

THE MERCURY ASTRONAUTS $800: Scott Carpenter, a little rascal as a kid, married Maria Roach, whose dad produced these film shorts about little rascals
(Alex: [*], Hal Roach was the producer, yes.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Acropolis
Heisenberg
the Screen Actors Guild
Hadrian
the Smithsonian
Kenneth Grahame
Deke
camel
Prince Albert
Beethoven
mariachi band
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez
police officers
Akron
Our Gang
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Other Political Parties
In 1908 this animal appropriately became the mascot of the Prohibition Party.

Spoiler
What is the camel? Brendan said bull; Gabor said tiger.

Gabor Revy: $14,400-$5,601=$8,799
Brendan Getzell: $12,800-$12,700=$100
Diane Levinson: $10,800+$6,000=$16,800 ...now a 1-day champion with $16,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chalupabatman786
Valued Contributor

Post by chalupabatman786 »

Yet another Trebek mispronounciation, this time on Smaug...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was worried I wouldn't see the show due to basketball, but my local station ran it this morning and my DVR picked it up.

A nice run by Gabor to get back in the game but then he opts not to make a cover bet of second or third place. Brendan also overbets while Dianne makes a smart bet, one that keeps her above the others' MSBIW score if she is wrong, and wins on a solo get.

Anyone else think she looks like Amy Farah Fowler?

I know it isn't part of the official oath, but I was really hoping they'd work in "So help me, God" into that category.

I was elated when I saw the FJ category. That kind of stuff is right up my alley. Then I saw the answer and my glee quickly departed. A bull moose? No, too early and Teddy seems like the type who would have enjoyed a good drink.

I was trying to think of some animal related to avoiding alcohol. Is there some animal that represents that idea? I went with the mule because it is on some Mountain Dew bottles. (Seriously, that was the best I could do).

I guess a camel makes sense since they are known for not drinking, but I'm still not a fan of the clue.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

That clue was interesting. I think the reason camel makes sense is that it had to be an animal that could only drink water. For that reason I went with a fish.

Ran the companies category, first time I've ran a category in awhile.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Oh wow... Gabor had the EXACT same FJ wager/result as Ken did in his loss. Interesting occurrence!
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Bamaman wrote:
I know it isn't part of the official oath, but I was really hoping they'd work in "So help me, God" into that category.
Why don't you just get fitted for your hood and robes, you raging bigot???

Did very well this game, apart from a few dumb misses in the first round. Ran 3/5 categories in that round.

I wish we'd seen the rest of the 2nd Century. I was doing surprisingly well!

Picked up the trash on Deke and Heisenberg (seriously, guys?)

Got FJ after 15 seconds or so. Didn't love it but couldn't think of any other animal associated with not drinking.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I was trying to think of some animal related to avoiding alcohol. Is there some animal that represents that idea? I went with the mule because it is on some Mountain Dew bottles. (Seriously, that was the best I could do).
I said a horse. Camel was never going to come to me.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Less than 10 clues left in DJ, one DD left, one top level clue left. So let's go to the one guaranteed NOT to have a DD?!?!

Then upon finding gold on a 2nd row clue make a totally useless wager? C'mon people, 2nd row DD's are like winning the lottery!

Excellent solo solve by the new champ in FJ, at first glance think she even made a proper wager. She also reminds me of Amy Farrah Fowler, and in my book that's a good thing! Perhaps she had a glass of tepid water to celebrate this victory.

And it's well known how I feel about the leader wagering so he can lose even if answering FJ correctly.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Bamaman wrote:Anyone else think she looks like Amy Farah Fowler?
Yes.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

I got camel but it occurred to me that the prohibition party was inadvertently promoting binge drinking. Because unless I'm misinformed, camels drink a very large amount when they can but are able to store it for a long time, unlike some desert creatures which get all their water from their food and rarely if ever actually drink water. But that's obviously overthinking. :)
esrever

Post by esrever »

I agree with others here that Diane reminds me of Amy Farrah Fowler.

Picked up Lach trash: "Heisenberg", "Kenneth Grahame" and "Deke"

Didn't get FJ. Guessed a mule instead.
Leander

Post by Leander »

UniquePerspective wrote:That clue was interesting. I think the reason camel makes sense is that it had to be an animal that could only drink water. For that reason I went with a fish.

Ran the companies category, first time I've ran a category in awhile.
The reason camel made sense was because it was an animal which, in popular conception, doesn't have to drink. I don't think it specifically had to do with water.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I'm not sure if the boards are easier this week or if I'm just getting better, but this might be my best week ever as far as Coryat scores are concerned.

Something amusing happened to me, and I'm not sure if it's happened to me before: There was a clue that all three contestants got wrong, and my response was different from all of theirs, and my response was also wrong. (Mercury Astronauts at $1200, involving the institution that gave somebody the Langley Medal. I guessed "The Pentagon".)

My generally good performance this week was marred by missing this FJ. The best I could come up with was "monkey" (thinking of the expression "having a monkey on one's back"). I didn't have high hopes for it being correct (it somehow seemed a little too frivolous) but it was the best I could do in 30 seconds. (I also briefly considered "pink elephant" but that seemed even more frivolous, as well as too close to the Republican elephant.)

I might have even thought something like "Maybe it's an animal known for drinking large amounts of water" whereas in a way, a camel is the opposite -- it's known for being able to go a long time without drinking any liquid. Which makes some sense in retrospect, but I didn't get there.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guessed the PGA for the group that gave Shepard the medal.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Deke Slayton did not have an ear problem that grounded him, as Alex said. Slayton had a heart problem. Alan Shepard was the one grounded with an ear problem.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

I guessed "cow" for FJ, thinking of milk as an alternative beverage.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I guessed camel on the notion of it living in "dry" climates.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

Owl for FJ, thinking that the Prohibition Party would want to associate themselves with a wise animal.