Friday, October 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6235, 2011-10-28

CONTESTANTS
John Jordan, a university English teacher from Fort Collins, Colorado
Helaine Greenfeld, a government attorney from Chevy Chase, Maryland
Sunny Stalter, an English professor from Auburn, Alabama (whose 1-day cash winnings total $29,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks, and welcome again to our show. One thing we seem to be discovering so far this season is that there is no sophomore jinx. Players who become champions usually win their second game and then lose later on. So, Sunny, that's good news for you. You're just a one-time winner. However, you have to contend with Helaine and John. So good luck to all of you. Here we go, the Jeopardy! Round. And these are your categories--first...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CASEY AT THE BAT (5/5)
THE 1600s (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
IN THE DICTIONARY (5/5)
THE SHAPE OF THINGS (2/4)
LAND IDAHO! (2/2)
KEYBOARD NEIGHBORS (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be two letters that you find on your keyboard side-by-side.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sunny: 7 R (including 3 rebounds), 2 W
John: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Helaine: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $1,200
Helaine: $1,200
Sunny: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: As we get ready to talk to John Jordan, I want you all to think about The Brady Bunch, because your family is a little bit like the Brady Bunch, right, John?

John: Yes. When my wife and I got married ten years ago, we each brought three kids to the deal. It's even three boys and three girls, and the ages go every-every-other between the two of us, so we get a lot of... "Here's the story" ...and so on.

Alex: Six kids, and with no plans to add to the family?

John: Uh, we have the yours and the mine, but we've decided against the ours.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Helaine Greenfeld, government attorney. I take it your mom is a big baseball fan.

Helaine: That's right, Alex. When I was in labor with my oldest child Jake, she started looking at her watch. And it turned out she had, uh, tickets to see Cal Ripken break Lou Gehrig's record for--actually, tie Lou Gehrig's record for most consecutive games. And she left me. She--

Alex: In labor?

Helaine: Yes, she said she, uh, had other grandchildren, and she thought she might have even more, but she would never see that again.

Alex: [Laughs] Good for Mom.

Alex: Sunny, over to you now. Uh, you're writing a book about an unusual subject--the New York City subway system?

Sunny: Um, I'm actually writing a book about the literature of the New York subway system. Um--

Alex: So that would include The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3?

Sunny: I-I really liked that movie. I tend to go a little bit earlier. Sort of from around when it opened in 1904, all the way through the '50s...

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Sunny: And there's just lots of great American modernist writers who were inspired by it.

Alex: What--in your estimation, what was the best book ever written with the New York subway system as the underlying theme?

Sunny: Hmm. I really like John Dos Passos. He wrote a book called Manhattan Transfer that has a bunch of subway scenes.

Alex: Okay, good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sunny: Thanks.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Sunny had $2,200, Helaine had $1,000, and John was at $3,600. John wagered $2,400.

THE 1600s $1000: After hoarding food rations, he & his son were kept at bay, literally, by mutineers who set them adrift in 1611
(John: Who is Robinson Crusoe?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, John.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE 1600s $400: Dutchamn Willem Schouten, who rounded this dangerous tip of South America in 1616, named it for his birthplace
(Helaine: What is the Cape of Good Hope?)
(Alex: Cape of Good Hope is South Africa.)

KEYBOARD NEIGHBORS $1000: The bottom right pair of letters, it's a U.S. state postal abbreviation

THE SHAPE OF THINGS $1000: The Earth is this type of spheroid, meaning flattened at the poles
(Helaine: [Shakes head])
(John: What is oblique?)

THE SHAPE OF THINGS $800: Something pinnate is shaped like this (it's what "pinna" means in Latin)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sunny: $2,400
John: $600
Helaine: $0
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE STATUE OF LIBERTY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Today, we celebrate the 125th anniversary of the dedication of...)
RUSSIAN COMPOSERS (1/2)
MEANINGFUL STAGE NAMES (5/5)
WHERE'S THE PROBLEM? (4/5) (Alex: You have to name the body part.)
LIBRARIES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"SH"! (4/5) (Alex: And what happens in a library?...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sunny: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Helaine: 7 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
John: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Sunny had $2,800, Helaine had $1,600, and John was at $2,200. John made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,200.

THE STATUE OF LIBERTY $2000: The Statue's full proper title is "Liberty" doing this to "the World"
(John: What is welcoming?)
(Alex: No, what is [*]? Reason for the torch.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Helaine who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Sunny had $8,000, Helaine had $5,600, and John was at $4,400. Helaine wagered $3,500.

LIBRARIES $1600: Robert Frost & Daniel Webster collections are housed at a special collections library at this Ivy League school
(Helaine: What is Harvard?)
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"SH"! $1200: 2 to 4 feet long, the spiny dogfish is probably the most abundant species of this fish on the U.S. Atlantic Coast
(John: What is shad?)
(Alex: You had a choice and you should've gone for the other one. What is [*]?)

WHERE'S THE PROBLEM? $1600: Glossitis
(Alex: It's the kind of problem I have frequently--[*].)

LIBRARIES $2000: A library at the U.N. serves as a memorial to this Secretary-General who was killed in a 1961 plane crash

RUSSIAN COMPOSERS $1600: In 1856, at age 12, this "Flight Of The Bumblebee" composer entered a naval academy & remained in the navy for 17 years
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sunny: $8,000
John: $4,400
Helaine: $2,900

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INVENTORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Sunny: Wager $801 to cover John, but no more than $2,199 so as not to fall behind Helaine's doubled score.
John: You have the hope of surpassing Sunny if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $3,601 to force Sunny to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Helaine.
Helaine: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1823 this Scot obtained a patent for a process that made silk, paper & "other substances impervious to water and air"

FINAL SCORES
Helaine: $2,900 + $2,899 = $5,799 (Who was Macintosh?) (2nd place: $2,000)
John: $4,400 - $4,400 = $0 (Who is Carnegie?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Sunny: $8,000 - $1,000 = $7,000 (Who is Tesla?) (2-day champion: $36,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $9,000, 15 R, 8 W (including 2 DDs)
Sunny: $8,000, 15 R, 2 W
Helaine: $6,400, 12 R, 7 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $23,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Sunny: 15/58 = .259
John: 15/60 = .250
Helaine: 13/59 = .220
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CASEY AT THE BAT $600: From 1999 to 2005, Sean Casey batted .300 or better 5 times in 7 seasons for this Ohio team
(Sunny: Uh, who are the Indians?)

KEYBOARD NEIGHBORS $400: They combine to make an "F" sound
(Sunny: What's "E" and "F"?)
(John: What's "P" and "H"?)

KEYBOARD NEIGHBORS $600: In Spanish it's nosotros
(John: Uh, what is...)

IN THE DICTIONARY $200: This 10-letter word refers to one's partner in crime, perhaps as an accessory
(John: What is an abettor?)

IN THE DICTIONARY $800: This 2-word term can refer to a spicy sausage or a piece of highlighted text on a web page
(Helaine: What is a live link?)

THE STATUE OF LIBERTY $400: Give this man a "prize"! He used his newspaper, the World, to help raise funds for the statue's pedestal
(Helaine: Who is William Randolph Hearst?)

MEANINGFUL STAGE NAMES $400: Wrestler Steve Williams adopted this surname in tribute to Lee Majors' superhuman TV character
(John: What is the Six Million Dollar Man?)
(Helaine: What is the Bionic Man?)
(Alex: Stone Cold Steve [*]--right.)

MEANINGFUL STAGE NAMES $1600: Louis Lindley is known as this to movie lovers because he was told he wouldn't make much money in the rodeo
(Alex: And that shot, of course, from Dr. Strangelove.)

MEANINGFUL STAGE NAMES $2000: Donald Lytle's choice of this stage name made extra sense when "Take This Job And Shove It" became his biggest hit
(Helaine: Who is Money?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Henry Hudson
Cape Horn
NM
oblate
feather
Enlightening
Dartmouth
shark
the tongue
Dag Hammarskjold
Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
Charles Macintosh
the (Cincinnati) Reds
"G" & "H"
we
an accomplice
a hot link
Pulitzer
Austin
Slim Pickens
(Johnny) Paycheck
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Friday, October 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by CrunchyTaco »

That was certainly not the most exciting Jeopardy game ever. None of the players ever really seemed to get in rhythm.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

Is it only me, or was that... painful?

;-(
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

laubla999 wrote:Is it only me, or was that... painful?

;-(
Not just you. It reminded me of my second game, but worse. Just a night where no one got into any kind of rhythm, really. I whiffed the FJ, got stuck on Macadam, which I knew was wrong, but was taking up too much of my available brain for too long. Slapped head when Macintosh was revealed.

(I was a little shocked that 2 hours after it aired, (well, after it aired here, at least) that there were no posts on the thread. I refreshed it and found yours, thankfully. It was a little Twilight Zone-ish... :shock: )
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have never heard of the guy in FJ.

Yes, that was awful to watch. Robinson Crusoe for Henry Hudson?

Yes, going 0/3 in DDs dropped the final scores, but the leader only had $8,800 and she didn't hit any of the DDs.
laubla999

Post by laubla999 »

mam418 wrote:
laubla999 wrote:Is it only me, or was that... painful?

;-(
Not just you. It reminded me of my second game, but worse. Just a night where no one got into any kind of rhythm, really. I whiffed the FJ, got stuck on Macadam, which I knew was wrong, but was taking up too much of my available brain for too long. Slapped head when Macintosh was revealed.

(I was a little shocked that 2 hours after it aired, (well, after it aired here, at least) that there were no posts on the thread. I refreshed it and found yours, thankfully. It was a little Twilight Zone-ish... :shock: )
I was sure FJ began with Mac (isn't it what the English call a raincoat?), but I couldn't get the rest out ;-(
laubla999

Post by laubla999 »

Bamaman wrote:I have never heard of the guy in FJ.

Yes, that was awful to watch. Robinson Crusoe for Henry Hudson?

Yes, going 0/3 in DDs dropped the final scores, but the leader only had $8,800 and she didn't hit any of the DDs.
The "bay" was kind of enough for me to get Hudson. But I'm from Quebec ;-)
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

You could have given me all day and I would never have come up with Macintosh. I didn't even know what the invention was until I looked it up just now. (I thought maybe they were talking about Scotchgard.) I keyed on "process" and said Bessemer just for the sake of something to say.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Never hoid uh da bum.

Sorry to see Helaine go down. I liked the gutsy DD wager, plus she got FJ right, plus she's a local. Ah well.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mam418 wrote:(I was a little shocked that 2 hours after it aired, (well, after it aired here, at least) that there were no posts on the thread. I refreshed it and found yours, thankfully. It was a little Twilight Zone-ish... :shock: )
Well, if some moron had put the thread up in a timely manner, there might have been more posts by then.
laubla999

Post by laubla999 »

alietr wrote:
mam418 wrote:(I was a little shocked that 2 hours after it aired, (well, after it aired here, at least) that there were no posts on the thread. I refreshed it and found yours, thankfully. It was a little Twilight Zone-ish... :shock: )
Well, if some moron had put the thread up in a timely manner, there might have been more posts by then.

?
The thread was up "before" the game aired (at least for me).

That's all one can ask ;-/
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I always thought Macintosh was a botanist, with the apple bearing his name. I made up 'Lamin', going from laminate.

edit Some of you people who get J! in the morning have to wait on the rest of us. 6pm Mountain here.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Usually when I go 5/5 on the FJ clues for the week it seems like 35% of the voters joining me. Based on the comments last night and the early comments tonight perhaps I won't have as much company?

I read the clue and wrote Macintosh. Done. Not quite though. With nothing better to do during think time and knowing I swept the week I went with the show off response and added Charles.

A search term in the archive for "Charles Macintosh" did not have many hits and only a few more popped up when I just did "Macintosh."

http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... +macintosh

John missing the FJ clue was fine by me. His Brady Bunch story was not enough to sway me. His switch out of the Casey (obviously baseball) category was strike one. Figuring out Reds, but not immediately jumping on the rebound for Sean Casey's team had me done with him.

As for the game itself "The People" would have exhibits A-Z in court. No rebound on Cape Horn? The match was very easily a 4th podium cake walk.

I could understand the slow start for the players in the first round. My 15 was a struggle to get over 50% correct. The DJ round was 23/27 and I'm sure I could have a least got Tchai-vinsky in the first box if it played in Russian Composers.

Sunny found a clever path to victory by her opponents missing all the DDs. She was in the best position entering FJ and survived a solo solve by Helaine.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I am not engaging in hyperbole when I state that this was the poorest play I've ever seen in Jeopardy, and I've been watching since Art Fleming's second season. Between the negs, the TSs and the slow rate of play there was really not much to recommend this game, sad to say. FJ was an instaget for me, but I've read a lot of British fiction and know their term for raincoat. After seeing the game, I wasn't surprised when they went 1/3 on FJ. :(
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Usually when I go 5/5 on the FJ clues for the week it seems like 35% of the voters joining me. Based on the comments last night and the early comments tonight perhaps I won't have as much company?
Tonight's was no better than last night's. I didn't know that the Macintosh was named after an actual person, so just WAGged James Watt so I could at least guess a Scottish person (Tesla? Really?).

I'm giving myself MN in the Neighbors category. It's just as valid as NM -- I think. I don't remember any other restrictions other than adjacent letters, lower right, and postal abbreviation.
laubla999

Post by laubla999 »

MarkBarrett wrote: No rebound on Cape Horn?
Yes, that was another easy one, given that the clue mentioned South America and the word "dangerous". I didn't need to know where the guy was born ;-/
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Inventors
In 1823 this Scot obtained a patent for a process that made silk, paper, & "other substances impervious to water and air".
Spoiler
Who is Charles Macintosh? John said Carnegie; Sunny said Tesla.
Sunny Stalter: $8,000=$1,000=$7,000...now a 2-day champion with $36,200
John Jordan: $4,400-$4,400=$0
Helaine Greenfeld: $2,900+$2,899=$5,799
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

laubla999 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: No rebound on Cape Horn?
Yes, that was another easy one, given that the clue mentioned South America and the word "dangerous". I didn't need to know where the guy was born ;-/

I couldn't pull out Cape Horn. The clue had me running Dutch cities in my head and never got on track. I was pretty sure Good Hope wouldn't be the name of a dangerous cape.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: I'm giving myself MN in the Neighbors category. It's just as valid as NM -- I think. I don't remember any other restrictions other than adjacent letters, lower right, and postal abbreviation.
I'm not so sure about that one. I forget the exact wording, but Alex's explanation made me think all the correct responses would be two letters next to each other on the keyboard, left-to-right. That may have just been my assumption, but since the first 4 clues all fit this description, it seems reasonable to assume that the 5th one would too. Perhaps if they had started at $2,000 you would have more of an argument, but I suppose I could see that call going either way.

Like others have mentioned, I was trying to think of something like Scotchguard, and the word Teflon even floated through my mind, although I had no idea if that made any sense or not. Like DBear, I was also trying to make a last name out of "laminate", and at the end of the 30 seconds, I was pretty much back to square one with no reasonable guess whatsoever. Looking back knowing the correct response was Macintosh, I might as well have saved my self the 30 second mental workout, because I was never going to get that one. I guess I don't feel quite as bad about choking on the movie FJ! yesterday, since at least it didn't keep me from an incredibly rare perfect 5-for-5 week.

I can't believe they actually made a whole category about baseball players named Casey. (sort of) After the first clue, I pre-called: Casey Stengel...no-brainer; Sean Casey...not all that well-known, but a pretty safe bet to be included...and that was all I could come up with. Casey Candaele? In a Jeopardy! clue? Really? I don't think I've heard that name in almost 20 years, and I may go another 20 without hearing it. I guess the fact that his mother helped to inspire A League of Their Own is somewhat noteworthy, but I wonder how exactly the writers set out to write this "Casey" category, when even the biggest baseball fan could probably name no more than 2 or 3 famous Caseys in major league history.

I think the overall quality of this game can best be summed up by the following sequence:
"This surname..."
"Who is The Six Million Dollar Man?"
"No"
"Who is The Bionic Man?"
"No" :cry: