Wednesday, March 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6803, 2014-03-26

CONTESTANTS
Deborah Ellis, a retired middle-school teacher from Rogue River, Oregon
Clay Walls, a university honors program manager from Birmingham, Alabama
Nancy Akerman, a science policy fellow from Arlington, Virginia (whose 2-day cash winnings total $14,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Bit by bit, the bird builds his nest. That's the case for Nancy Akerman, our champion. Won a couple of thousand dollars two days ago. Won $10,000 more than that yesterday. Today, who knows? But she has to contend with Deborah and Clay. Good luck, players. Here we go. Let's find out what the categories are in this first round, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CHEMICAL ELEMENTS IN POETRY (5/5)
OLYMPIC TRACK & FIELD RECORDS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: You have to name the event for us.)
PENINSULAS (5/5)
"MICRO" OR "MACRO" (5/5)
ARTS (3/5)
CRAFTS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Clay: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Deborah!: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Nancy: 4 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Clay: $5,000
Deborah!: $1,400
Nancy: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Deborah Ellis is a retired middle-school teacher and she has a cute little story to tell about her students and Jeopardy!

Deborah: Oh, yes. Well, when I was a teacher, I taught math primarily, and I would let the students call me at home. I gave them my home number. But I said, "Don't call during Jeopardy!". And I trained my husband to answer the phone and say, "Jeopardy! is on. Call back at 7:30," and just hang up. That's what we did.

Alex: God bless you for that.

Alex: Clay Walls from Birmingham, Alabama, manages an honors program for college students?

Clay: [nodding] Mm-hmm.

Alex: So you're used to dealing with bright students.

Clay: Yes, I'm very fortunate to do that.

Alex: Yeah, and you're pretty bright yourself.

Alex: All right, Nancy Akerman is our champion. Is it true that some of your studies, which we talked about on yesterday's program, involve undersea volcanoes?

Nancy: Yes. Yes.

Alex: Did you get to do any diving and explore them from a distance or what?

Nancy: They were about a mile down, so we used submarines instead, yeah.

Alex: For such a young lady, you've had a pretty exciting life so far, right?

Nancy: Yeah, it's been pretty good, thanks.

Alex: And you're a Jeopardy! champion, too.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nancy found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Nancy had $1,600, Clay had $7,000, and Deborah! was at $3,200. Nancy wagered $1,000.

OLYMPIC TRACK & FIELD RECORDS $800: 19 feet, 7 inches by Renaud Lavillenie

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ARTS $200: Drummer Art Blakey was a real heavy cat in this style of music that preceded "messengers" in his band's name
(Alex: They were called
the [*] Messengers.)

ARTS $1000: American philosopher Arthur Lovejoy's most famous work was "The Great Chain of" this

OLYMPIC TRACK & FIELD RECORDS $400: 19.30 seconds by Usain Bolt
(Clay: What is the 100-meter dash?)
(Nancy: What is the 400-meter dash?)
(Deborah: I don't know. [Laughs])
(Alex: You had to go to the race right in between--[*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Clay: $7,000
Deborah!: $3,200
Nancy: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORLD LEADERS IN 1914 (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PARENTHETICAL SONGS (3/5)
SILENT CONSONANT (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will contain a...)
MANAGEMENT (4/5)
LET'S GO "C" A PLAY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOUNT RUSHMORE (3/5) (Sarah: Mount Rushmore National Memorial-- American history alive in stone.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Deborah!: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 3 W
Nancy: 7 R, 1 W
Clay: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Deborah! snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Nancy had $2,600, Clay had $7,000, and Deborah! was at $3,600. Deborah! wagered $3,000.

LET'S GO "C" A PLAY $800: This 1904 Russian play ends with the sound of an axe striking a tree
(Alex: And you have enough money to take away first place from Clay.)
(Deborah: I'm chicken. I'll go $3,000, please.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Deborah! who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Nancy had $6,200, Clay had $9,800, and Deborah! was at $9,000. Deborah! wagered $2,000.

WORLD LEADERS IN 1914 $1600: Sultan Mehmed V (over a now-departed entity)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SILENT CONSONANT $1600: There's a silent "G" in this opposite of "to praise"
(Deborah: What is denigrate?)
(Alex: Back to you, Deborah.)
(Deborah: Okay. Let's go to -- I have no idea what it means -- Parenthetical Songs, $400.)

PARENTHETICAL SONGS $1200: T. Rex:
"(Get It On)"

PARENTHETICAL SONGS $2000: R.E.M.:
"(Don't Go Back To)"
(Clay: What is "Losing My Religion"?)
(Alex: No. Deborah or Nancy?)
(Deborah: No.)

MOUNT RUSHMORE $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Mount Rushmore in South Dakota.) It was this sculptor, the son of Danish immigrants, who decided that Mount Rushmore should be a national monument commemorating America's founders & builders

MANAGEMENT $2000: Books for managers include Alfred Sloan's "My Years with" this company, for many years the world's largest
(Deborah: What is IBM?)

WORLD LEADERS IN 1914 $1200: Prime minister Louis Botha

MOUNT RUSHMORE $2000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Mount Rushmore in South Dakota.) Amazingly, there were no fatalities & only a few minor injuries during the 14 years it took to carve Mount Rushmore--the workers were lowered from the face of the mountain in swing seats, known as these chairs
(Deborah: What's a trapeze chair?)
(Clay: What is a high chair?)
(Alex: No.)
[Deborah laughs]
(Alex: And I would like to point out right now that with that category, ladies and gentlemen, our Clue Crew members have now done clues in all 50 states.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Deborah!: $11,000
Clay: $9,800
Nancy: $6,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
(Alex: [at the end of the Double Jeopardy! Round] And now it's time for Final Jeopardy!, and here are the categories --Agriculture.)

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AGRICULTURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Deborah!: Wager $8,601 to cover Clay.
Clay: You have to wager $2,601 to cover Nancy's doubled score, but certainly no more than $3,599, so as to force Nancy to be right to have a chance at winning.
Nancy: Consider risking between $3,601 and $3,799. This will top a $0 wager by Clay while still beating Deborah! on the Triple Stumper (should Deborah! wager to cover Clay's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Prunus dulcis, this snack high in calcium & vitamin E, is native to the Mideast, but 80% of the world crop comes from Calif.

FINAL SCORES
Nancy: $6,200 - $3,800 = $2,400 (What are olives?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Clay: $9,800 - $2,601 = $7,199 (What are plums?) (New champion: $7,199)
Deborah!: $11,000 - $8,601 = $2,399 (What are dates?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: [revealing Deborah's response] No, that, too, is incorrect. The correct response, with about $4.5 billion in sales, almost as much as grapes -- [*]. [*].)
(Deborah: My second guess.)
(Alex: What did it cost you?)
(Deborah: Too much.)
(Alex: Ooh.)
(Deborah: I know.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Clay: $9,800, 19 R, 4 W
Deborah!: $8,400, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
Nancy: $6,000, 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $24,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Clay: 19/58 = .328
Deborah!: 19/60 = .317
Nancy: 11/59 = .186
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PENINSULAS $1000: The northern boundary of this peninsula is considered to be the Danube, Sava & Kupa rivers
(Deborah: What is the Italian Peninsula?)

CRAFTS $200: The man seen here is using the traditional method for making this-- perhaps for some origami

CRAFTS $400: Our next affable gent is making bird decoys by carving wood--also called this pastime

CRAFTS $600: In Mexico, a man operates a basic one of these to make some colorful stuff

CRAFTS $800: To beat the heat, a man in Edo is creating the folding types of these

CRAFTS $1000: The power sander is a good tool for making these that can later be treated with a product called sex wax
(Clay: What are canoes?)

OLYMPIC TRACK & FIELD RECORDS $600: 73 feet, 8 3/4 inches by Ulf Timmermann
(Alex: Correct.)
(Deborah: Okay. Let's--it's getting too hard. Let's go to "Micro" or "Macro," please, $200.)

OLYMPIC TRACK & FIELD RECORDS $1000: 3 minutes, 32.07 seconds by Noah Ngeny
(Deborah: Oh. I was gonna say, what is the mile?)
(Alex: Yes. The equivalent. The Olympic mile.)

PARENTHETICAL SONGS $1600: The Four Tops:
"(Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)"
[NOTE: The correct song title is "I Can't Help Myself".]

SILENT CONSONANT $2000: The rock species of this Arctic bird is also known as the snow chicken
(Nancy: What is the -- oh, the puffin?)

MOUNT RUSHMORE $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Mount Rushmore in South Dakota.) The four presidents chosen for Mount Rushmore symbolize the first 150 years of American history-- Washington is the founding, Lincoln is preservation, Roosevelt is development, & Jefferson is expansion for his role in this 1803 land deal

MOUNT RUSHMORE $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Mount Rushmore in South Dakota.) The accuracy of the likenesses on Mount Rushmore is amazing, especially considering that 90% of it was carved using this--its blasts removed 450,000 tons of rock from the mountain
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

MOUNT RUSHMORE $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Mount Rushmore in South Dakota.) To remove granite from the skin of the monuments' faces, the carvers drilled very shallow & closely spaced holes, a technique called this, like a beehive structure, then broke away the rock between the holes

CORRECT RESPONSES
the pole vault
jazz
Being
the 200 meters
The Cherry Orchard
the Ottoman Empire
malign
"Bang A Gong"
"Rockville"
Gutzon Borglum
General Motors
South Africa
boatswain chairs
almonds
the Balkan
paper
whittling
a loom
fans
a surfboard
the shot put
the 1,500 meters
"Can't Help Myself"
the ptarmigan
the Louisiana Purchase
TNT (or dynamite)
honeycombing
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Agriculture
Prunus dulcis, this snack high in calcium & vitamin E, is native to the mideast, but 80% of the world crop comes from California.

Spoiler
What is the almond? Nancy said olives; Clay said plums; Deborah said dates.

Nancy Akerman: $6,200-$3,800=$2,400
Clay Walls: $9,800-$2,601=$7,199...now a 1-day champion with $7,199
Deborah Ellis: $11,000-$8,601=$2,399
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

In before TPH complains that Roman Sebrle in Olympic Records was totally impenetrable for a top row clue.

Deborah wasn't chicken on her first DD, she was strategically ignorant. There is a difference. Then the final DD was totally laughable but totally expected.

Anybody else want to admit "Jerry McGuire" was the reason in instantly answering mission statement?

At first glance, surprisingly good wagers in FJ! Sweet, and shocking.

Between the decades tournament and Arthur's games, games like this have gotten next to impossible to watch without throwing stuff at the TV.
Last edited by Golf on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

The last five minutes of DJ were a perfect demonstration of how disappointing the last couple of weeks of games have been. The players were perfectly likable today, but it almost seemed like they were purposely avoiding the second DD. There was no way it was in that Rushmore category, and I groaned when the returning champ moved away from the category in which it was obviously hidden. Speaking of the Rushmore category, that had to have been the most longwinded clue ever just to get to the Louisiana Purchase at $400...

I got caught up in the juxtaposition of "snack" and "crop" and couldn't get anywhere on FJ.
Golf wrote: Deborah wasn't chicken on her first DD, she was strategically ignorant. There is a difference. Then the final DD was totally laughable but totally expected.
She bet almost all of her money, I don't think it's worth complaining about. At least she bet more than the value of the clue.
Last edited by lieph82 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Well at least I did better than yesterday. 21 right in J, 19 in DJ.

Had a really horrible neg for "long jump" on the shot put clue. I knew it was wrong as soon as I said it.

Lach Trash: 200m dash, Gutzon Borglum (can't forget a name like that), GM, South Africa.

How does "catacombs" have a silent consonant? Is this one of those mary/marry/Mary things? Or was I not paying close enough attention and had it in the wrong category?

I had raisins for FJ. Hope I'm not alone.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

What the heck was up with Clay's non-interview? Alex didn't have anything to say, and Clay didn't have anything to say. It almost felt like they accidentally edited most of it out. Good taste in argyle though.

====

Clammed on Iron and Oxygen in Elements, no clue on Sulfur.

I got Lach Trash on it, but I thought "Jazz" was a bit tricky at $200. Clammed on Federal Reserve since I wasn't 100% on "reserve" and wasn't sure if "Fed" would be BMS'ed. Also ouldn't think of an "Art" tennis player.

So that's who Arthur Murray is in that "Tear Stained Letter" song.

Crafts was almost Kids' Week easy. I ran it; did anyone not?

"Digital behemoth? The hell are they talking about? Was there some really huge macro-named electronic thing that came out in 1975?!?" Micromanage was my only get there, although I clammed on "Micronesia". NHO "macroeconomics" or "macrobiotics" to my knowledge.
Golf wrote:In before TPH complains that Roman Sebrle in Olympic Records was totally impenetrable for a top row clue.
First clue, nothing. I found the whole category totally impenetrable.

====

Coriolanus was waaaaaaaaaaaay undervalued at $400. The only other hits I see for it as an answer in the Archive are much further down the board, and most often stand-and-stares.

How is it that I've never heard of the first two plays, but have heard of the bottom three? Still went 0/5.

"I Can't Help Myself" was my only get in Parenthetical. Surprised Clay's omission of the "I" didn't lead to an overturn.

Never heard of the other four songs; negged with "Stop" instead of "Pride" at $400.

I know I've seen the sculptor of Rushmore's name a billion times, but somehow, "Borglum" never trips my "weird names are memorable" filter enough for me to retain it.

Management from $800 down was miles over my head. Those clues seemed completely impenetrable unless you've done enough office work to sprout a Dilbert tie.

====

Blah blah "prunus" blah blah "California". No way that can't be raisin… ALMONDS?!?! The hell?!?!?
zakharov wrote:How does "catacombs" have a silent consonant? Is this one of those mary/marry/Mary things? Or was I not paying close enough attention and had it in the wrong category?
I've only ever heard it with a silent B. How have you heard it?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"blahblahblah clue crew...
shut up, Alex!
"...all 50 states blahblahblah..."
well...at least with only a couple of clues left we won't run out of ti-
"...Daily Double, and we are running out of time..."
*buzzer sounds with one clue left*

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

*with 3600, enough to take the lead with a TDD*
"I'm chicken...3000"
:?: :?:

Not even close in FJ. I got it into my head that the 'dulcis' part meant 'sweet', so I considered a bunch of fruits before settling on plum, which I knew was wrong. I never would've guessed almonds in a million years.

Interesting wardrobe choices today.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

zakharov wrote:
I had raisins for FJ. Hope I'm not alone.
Nope, I had raisins as well.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
zakharov wrote:How does "catacombs" have a silent consonant? Is this one of those mary/marry/Mary things? Or was I not paying close enough attention and had it in the wrong category?
I've always pronounced the B in that and comb. Perhaps I am the strange one.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

zakharov wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I've always pronounced the B in that and comb. Perhaps I am the strange one.
I've never heard the B pronounced in either word.
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

Said grapes for FJ - with "dulcis," I was thinking sweet --> fruit. What's a fruit grown in California? Grapes, sure. No way was I getting almonds.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash: "jazz", "malign", "Bang a Gong", "Rockville", "GM", "South Africa"

Didn't get FJ. I wrote down "dates" instead.
Shmuel
Contributor

Post by Shmuel »

I guessed raisins as well.

For "there's a silent 'g' in this opposite of 'to praise,'" my answer was "impugn," not "malign." Think they'd have accepted it?
chipbell
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by chipbell »

I felt pretty confident about "raisins" in FJ.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

"400m" - Wrong. "100m" - Wrong. "[Clam]"
Ouch.

I seem to remember there being a clue fairly recently about some time-based accomplishment (I think in track) where the guess was very far off, too. I know there were a few posts about it on the boards. Anybody remember it?

If I got the DD in that category, I'd do a true DD without any hesitation, while repeating over and over in my head "Please don't let it be discus or hammer, please don't let it be discus or hammer." I was pretty sure of the approximate OR in just about every other event, but if they gave one of them, it'd be a 50-50 shot. Upon looking it up, hammer is ~70m, hammer is ~85m, and javelin is ~90.6m (which is actually less than I thought it'd be; the WR is 98.5m). Surprisingly, the woman's javelin record is less than the woman's discus or hammer.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

soxfan99 wrote:"400m" - Wrong. "100m" - Wrong. "[Clam]"
Ouch.

I seem to remember there being a clue fairly recently about some time-based accomplishment (I think in track) where the guess was very far off, too. I know there were a few posts about it on the boards. Anybody remember it?

If I got the DD in that category, I'd do a true DD without any hesitation, while repeating over and over in my head "Please don't let it be discus or hammer, please don't let it be discus or hammer." I was pretty sure of the approximate OR in just about every other event, but if they gave one of them, it'd be a 50-50 shot. Upon looking it up, hammer is ~70m, hammer is ~85m, and javelin is ~90.6m (which is actually less than I thought it'd be; the WR is 98.5m). Surprisingly, the woman's javelin record is less than the woman's discus or hammer.
They redesigned the javelin some time back to make it go shorter, that might account for the above. Apparently Wormser's design to fit Lamar's limp-wristed throwing style went too far.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Is this the FJ where one contestant apparently thought it took 94 hours to run a marathon?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Also ouldn't think of an "Art" tennis player.
It wasn't until that clue (the third in the column) that the nature of the category finally clicked with me. (I mean, the first was about music, which is a performing art.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Digital behemoth? The hell are they talking about? Was there some really huge macro-named electronic thing that came out in 1975?!?"
Somewhat sheepishly, I admit that I missed that one too. I had a similar problem. I thought they were talking about a physical object originating in 1975, that was both digital and very large. (Like maybe ENIAC or something, but later.) I said "microcomputer", following the strategy I sometimes use for top-row clues of "Just blurt out the first thing that seems to fit" -- even though I certainly see why "microcomputer" is a flawed response.

As for FJ, this was the best I've ever felt about a wrong response in a very long time.

I had "dates" and felt good about it. "Prunus dulcis" made me think "sweet prunelike/plumlike thing". I considered plums/prunes as well as grapes/raisins, but the Mideast made me think of dates. They're sweet, they're probably a relatively healthy snack food, they're associated with the Middle East, and I know nothing about the Latin names of most plants, but I just thought "Dates are probably just similar enough to prunes to have "prunus" in their name." (Wrong, as it turns out.)

During the reveals, I *still* felt very good about my response. First, when "olives" was revealed, I worried for half a second. "Shoot! Those are very Middle Eastern, too!" Still felt that dates, being sweeter, had a better chance. Olives were ruled wrong, so I felt good. Next, when plums were *also* ruled wrong, I thought, "Yep, it's dates. Get ready to write that check mark." The third contestant had "dates" and I was like, "Cool, the lone contestant to get FJ gets to become the champion."

But dates was wrong, too. At that moment, I was like "What?! OK, I guess then it *must* be figs. That's clearly the only other possibility. Figs it is."

Nope. Almonds.

I'd be willing to bet money that more people at home said dates than almonds. In fact, I'm curious where almonds even ranks among people's answers. Third? Fourth? Fifth?
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

Golf wrote:
Ouch.

They redesigned the javelin some time back to make it go shorter, that might account for the above. Apparently Wormser's design to fit Lamar's limp-wristed throwing style went too far.
It's probably because the women's and men's javelins are closer in design than the women's and men's hammers or disc. The women's disc and hammer are each about half the weight of the men's, but for the javelin, the sizes are very similar. This results in women's javelin throws that are relatively shorter. (I like when Jeopardy teaches me knew things)