Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, March 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

Better yet, tune in live: Live ATC. Just pick an airport. My usual weekly bike ride takes me past the end of the runway for National Airport. I can take my phone out and listen in as the jets land and takeoff.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote:Better yet, tune in live: Live ATC. Just pick an airport. My usual weekly bike ride takes me past the end of the runway for National Airport. I can take my phone out and listen in as the jets land and takeoff.
Many United Airlines flights have the air traffic control communication, straight from the cockpit radio, available on the audio system.

I agree with bpmod -- in my many flights on United, I have never heard a pilot referring to an airport by its 3-letter code, not even LAX. (They say "L.A. approach," "L.A. tower," etc.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote:I agree with bpmod -- in my many flights on United, I have never heard a pilot referring to an airport by its 3-letter code, not even LAX. (They say "L.A. approach," "L.A. tower," etc.)
In large part, because they can't do it that way. They have to change radio frequencies several times, so they're never actually talking to "LAX". On the way in, they'd be talking to SoCal Approach. As they come onto final, they'll switch to LA Tower. Once they depart the runway, they'll switch to LA Ground (I assume LA has a ground frequency).
mbclev
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mbclev »

reddpen wrote:But at the end of DJ, all three had decent scores, so I had hope for an interesting final and strategic wagering... hope that was quickly dashed by the FJ clue, then shattered by Jen's wager. Sure, she beats Gordon if Gordon only wagers to lock out Thad (as he did on my sheet), but crikey, woman, you've gotta lock him out! If she doesn't regret this for the rest of her life, maybe mbclev will send her an annual St. Patrick's Day card reminder.
Or her family and friends will do that, if they haven't done so already.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Given what was a TS on the Tuesday 3/18 episode(go to that thread to see the TV related clue that was) I suspect a clue about Alice/Vera/Flo/Mel's Diner/Linda Lavin/Vic Tayback et al. would have been a TS in the TV Waitress category. That show hasn't aired anywhere in reruns in some time.
overkill94

Post by overkill94 »

I mentioned it in the post for yesterday's game, but Jen was pretty pissed about not betting enough. Nice lady, but definitely not a dynamic personality (I thought they would say something to her during the practice round).
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

econgator wrote:Once they depart the runway, they'll switch to LA Ground (I assume LA has a ground frequency).
That would probably be a good assumption -- in fact, if I recall correctly, there are separate ground frequencies for the north and south sides of the airport.

Listening to ATC just hasn't been the same since they changed "taxi into position and hold" to "line up and wait."
davey

Post by davey »

BADuBois wrote:
reddpen wrote:So many horrors on these boards. Led People? Check the Richter readings near John Bonham's grave. And Mel Brooks's snarky allusion to Catherine the Great's death by bestiality gone bad -- that story is, well, horse---- according to snopes. This was not the J! writers' finest half hour.
Agreed. The horse reference to Catherine the Great was BS.
Yes, and Brooks should know better...he made a history of the world, after all... ;)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

They must have changed the definition of 'waitress' while I wasn't looking. Last I heard it was a noun meaning female one who waits. So, if I were waitressing at a restaurant, would I be called a waitresser? And the females I worked alongside would be called waitressresses?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey

Post by davey »

bpmod wrote:They must have changed the definition of 'waitress' while I wasn't looking.

Brian
The OED first cites the use as a verb to 1974...but J.B. Priestley used the word "waitressing" in 1936.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

ENT category was a free-for-all to whoever could dive in first
Kid Charlemagne
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kid Charlemagne »

Finally getting around to catching up on J! on my DVR after falling way behind.

That might be the worst J! board I ever seen. Multiple choice? That bands mash-up thing? The airport codes? Seriously? Did they run out of time to write a proper board?

And then...that wager...OMG..that wagering....I'm sure that's what most of the comments are about.
Yes, there's gas in the car.