New app: QuizUp

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: New app: QuizUp

Post by sarah0114 »

I am on QuizUp as "Sarah M.", and I've changed my icon to my Jboard icon to make me easier to find.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

I'm Leslie Lemon, a nod to my two favorite comediennes/soul sisters, Amy and Tina.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

I'm in with my real name (darn you Facebook), Lisa Peterson.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Volante wrote:
jpahk wrote:i know a little bit about grammer, but i wouldn't call it my most strongest subject. let's see: frasier crane, sideshow bob, ... down periscope? that's all i've got.
hank 'beast' mccoy, but that's all i can add to that.
Then there's…
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

lisa0012 wrote:I'm in with my real name (darn you Facebook), Lisa Peterson.
It's possible to create an account without linking it to Facebook. Just sayin'.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

You can also go into the settings and change your display name from the one it pulled from Facebook.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

jjwaymee wrote:
Yes, but I'm glad I did because it turns out I have a bunch of friends already using the app. Within five minutes of installing my mom sent me a challenge....
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

lisa0012 wrote:
jjwaymee wrote:
Yes, but I'm glad I did because it turns out I have a bunch of friends already using the app. Within five minutes of installing my mom sent me a challenge....
Did you beat her?
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Bamaman wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:
Did you beat her?
We played a few times, and in our category of choice we are pretty evenly matched.

This app is going to be very addicting.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

And my phone's version of Android can't support it.

...it's probably for the best. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From Marc Berman's TV Media Insights:

NBC Picks-Up Game Show “Quizup” Based on Trivia App
NBC has given a 10-episode order to Game Studio QuizUp and Apploff Entertainment for new series “QuizUp,” which will feature in-studio contestants trying to earn a large cash prize by winning trivia battles against viewers who qualify from anywhere in the country and play in real-time from home on their mobile devices. The series is based on the trivia app of the same name, with more than 75 million users worldwide, and is a collaboration between NBC, Game Studio QuizUp and Apploff Entertainment.

The premise: If the in-studio contestant wins eight trivia battles against eight different competitors who are watching and playing from home, they can win up to $1 million. If any of the at-home players win their battle, they will win the money allocated to that round. Qualification to play from home will happen through the QuizUp app. “QuizUp” is expected to debut sometime in 2016.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Somehow I missed this thread the first time around. I enjoy the app, though I tend to play too often late at night when I can't sleep. Like all apps, it gets dull after a while and I drift away, and yet . . . somehow I keep coming back to it a few months later. I think I'm obsessed with earning the UN Assembly badge for playing opponents from 100 different countries. I stand at 89 and got so excited the other day when I drew an opponent from Cote d'Ivoire.

I'd like to write for the site if only to revive the movie categories with new questions. You can look me up under -- what else? -- cinemaniax7.
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

I'm "Gord Reid".
@caknuck
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I've been on QuizUp for a while, but I haven't used it much at all over the last few months. It was round about the time that they "improved" it to be a social media platform as well that I stopped playing as much. Part of me is convinced it was a coincidence of timing, after all, I didn't think felt that strongly about it, I still watch YouTube despite the juvenile social media aspect of its comments, but part of me says that it's no coincidence, and shows me what a lot of QuizUP players are really like, not really the trivia type but the "hey look fun game!" type, which aren't the kind of people I like to play.

Now that they recently introduced a "make your own category" tool, I want in on that, but I"m also afraid as to what kind of categories the QuizUp users have come up with.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

MarkBarrett wrote:From Marc Berman's TV Media Insights:

NBC has given a 10-episode order to Game Studio QuizUp and Apploff Entertainment for new series “QuizUp,” which will feature in-studio contestants trying to earn a large cash prize by winning trivia battles against viewers who qualify from anywhere in the country and play in real-time from home on their mobile devices. The series is based on the trivia app of the same name, with more than 75 million users worldwide, and is a collaboration between NBC, Game Studio QuizUp and Apploff Entertainment.

The premise: If the in-studio contestant wins eight trivia battles against eight different competitors who are watching and playing from home, they can win up to $1 million. If any of the at-home players win their battle, they will win the money allocated to that round. Qualification to play from home will happen through the QuizUp app. “QuizUp” is expected to debut sometime in 2016.
Million Second Quiz, anyone?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

ZachTheRiah wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:From Marc Berman's TV Media Insights:

Million Second Quiz, anyone?
yes please :arrow:
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

dhkendall wrote:...Now that they recently introduced a "make your own category" tool, I want in on that, but I"m also afraid as to what kind of categories the QuizUp users have come up with.
Speaking of that, I have started up the category "American Horse Racing". Only 65 questions so far, many more to come as I get around to it...

btw, I have played QuizUp for quite awhile, possibly since it was quite new. I'm not too nuts about the social-media stuff they added, either, but it's pretty easy to ignore that aspect if you want.

ps. my handle is Pat Patterson on there.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

QuizUp officially shut down today. This game had a huge impact on my life.

I first started playing QuizUp in March 2014. I was a sophomore in high school at the time. Everyone at my school was playing this game. I was formally introduced by this game by my sister, who was challenging a friend. As a person who has always been into trivia, I thought this game looked interesting, so I gave it a try and I loved it. I played for about a week and then I stopped playing for a few months, then came back in late June. Back then, I used to go on Facebook all the time to view posts by my high school crush. Unfortunately, in early July, she ended up blocking me and I was devastated. I then spent some more time on QuizUp to make me feel better. I left the game again in August and then came back again in late November 2014, and I stayed on the app all the way until January 2021. I played a total of 133k games and accumulated much knowledge from the game. It was a huge inspiration for me. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for QuizUp. This isn't a complete loss however, as all of the questions were saved, and I have put all the questions from my favorite topics on the app Quizizz and will still be playing those questions on there in years to come. Although I left QuizUp a couple months ago, it is still and will forever be a huge part of my life.

RIP to the greatest trivia app of all time. You will forever be missed.
Douglas Squasoni
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:29 am QuizUp officially shut down today. This game had a huge impact on my life.

I first started playing QuizUp in March 2014. I was a sophomore in high school at the time. Everyone at my school was playing this game. I was formally introduced by this game by my sister, who was challenging a friend. As a person who has always been into trivia, I thought this game looked interesting, so I gave it a try and I loved it. I played for about a week and then I stopped playing for a few months, then came back in late June. Back then, I used to go on Facebook all the time to view posts by my high school crush. Unfortunately, in early July, she ended up blocking me and I was devastated. I then spent some more time on QuizUp to make me feel better. I left the game again in August and then came back again in late November 2014, and I stayed on the app all the way until January 2021. I played a total of 133k games and accumulated much knowledge from the game. It was a huge inspiration for me. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for QuizUp. This isn't a complete loss however, as all of the questions were saved, and I have put all the questions from my favorite topics on the app Quizizz and will still be playing those questions on there in years to come. Although I left QuizUp a couple months ago, it is still and will forever be a huge part of my life.

RIP to the greatest trivia app of all time. You will forever be missed.
WHAT NO WAY ARE YOU SERIOUS. I was just thinking about getting my account back up again to study and prepare for more trivia competitions. :( What fun game can I use in its place now, if you know any?
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

finishemzoe wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:05 pm WHAT NO WAY ARE YOU SERIOUS. I was just thinking about getting my account back up again to study and prepare for more trivia competitions. :( What fun game can I use in its place now, if you know any?
A friend of mine was able to save all of the questions from that game and I am currently putting a number of those topics on the app, Quizizz.

Quizizz is an incredible learning platform. You can search for anything and pretty much find anything.

There is also Sporcle, which has millions of stuff.
Douglas Squasoni