Tuesday, April 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6807, 2014-04-01

Battle of the Decades: The 2000s game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Stephanie Jass, a history professor from Milan, Michigan
Roger Craig, a data scientist from Brooklyn, New York
Vijay Balse, a chemical engineer consulting in renewable energy from Chatham, New Jersey

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE "AUGHT"S (5/5)
AMERICAN NOVELISTS (5/5)
BRAND NAMES (3/5)
CABLE NETWORKS (5/5)
INVENTORS & INVENTIONS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
I STAND BEFORE THE COUNTRY (5/5) (You have to complete the country's two-word name.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stephanie: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Roger: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Vijay: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Roger found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Vijay had $1,000, Roger had $1,400, and Stephanie was at $4,800. Roger made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

INVENTORS & INVENTIONS $800: Last name of American inventor Ray, whose noise-reduction system eliminated that background hiss on recordings

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Stephanie: $5,000
Roger: $2,800
Vijay: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: She holds the record for the most games won on Jeopardy! by a woman. Stephanie Jass also has a particular fond memory of her appearance with us on the program.

Stephanie: [ laughs ] Well, there are some that I can talk about and some that I can't.

Alex: Okay. [ chuckles ]

Stephanie: Perhaps my fondest memory --and this was completely --again, we've talked about this, Alex --this was your fault. You goaded me into a daily double trying to wager all of my hard-earned cash, which I was seeing as real cash, --

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Stephanie: --and on the spur of the moment, I said what I believed to be the truth at the time, which is that, in fact, you were the devil. You have taken it in good stride. I gave you a pitchfork last year. I assume it's one of your most treasured possessions.

Alex: It is indeed.

Stephanie: Well, great. I'm glad to hear. A collection, I assume, has started.

Alex: No, but money would have been better.
[ laughter ]

Alex: Roger Craig holds a record, also, for the most money won on a single "Jeopardy!" program, and that is $77,000. Ken Jennings held the previous record for $75,000. Now, if you win a lot of money in this tournament, you've already earmarked what you're going it use it for.

Roger: That's right. I'd love to go to South America. Preferably in the winter in the northern hemisphere.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Roger: And practice my Spanish and, you know, maybe even Portuguese in Brazil.

Alex: Are you into soccer? Because the World Cup is going to be held in South America, and then the Olympics are coming up afterwards, so.

Roger: Yeah, I would love to visit the Olympics. Maybe the World Cup, as well. It's a beautiful sport.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Vijay Balse, you're a Tournament of Champions winner, but you were not born and raised in the United States, and I'm wondering if that placed a little extra pressure on you in your matches?

Vijay: Yeah, you know, many things that are second nature to people born in this country or Canada, I had to try to figure out, try to memorize, things like that, so it is difficult.

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BRAND NAMES $600: "Don't suffer the coughequences" is a slogan of this Pfizer brand
(Vijay: What is NyQuil?)

BRAND NAMES $1000: Sneaker brand ASICS is an acronym ending with these 3 Latin words that mean "in a sound body"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Stephanie: $8,000
Roger: $5,200
Vijay: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
KING JAMES BIBLE QUOTES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HISTORIC OBJECTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORLD NEWSPAPERS (5/5)
MANKIEWICZES AT THE MOVIES (4/5)
TRIPLE RHYME TIME (3/5)
CERN (5/5) (The research center in Switzerland that's helped us communicate globally via the internet and is discovering the nature of subatomic particles.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Vijay: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Roger: 11 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Stephanie: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Roger snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Vijay had $2,400, Roger had $6,400, and Stephanie was at $8,000. Roger made it a True Daily Double, wagering $6,400.

HISTORIC OBJECTS $1600: Today thought of as a bejeweled statue, it was the Knights of Malta's annual tribute to the Holy Roman Emperor
(Roger [wagering]: You know how I like to roll, Alex - true daily double.) [laughter]

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Stephanie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 10th clue. Vijay had $3,600, Roger had $10,400, and Stephanie was at $10,400. Stephanie wagered $3,000.

KING JAMES BIBLE QUOTES $1600: A major theme of Ecclesiastes is stated in the second verse of the book: "All is" this
(Stephanie: What is "All is lost"?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TRIPLE RHYME TIME $1600: Vestments of Thumper, the new head of the monastery
(Stephanie: What is the -- rabbit abbot -- [doubtfully] cabot?)
(Roger: What is -- a skunk monk's [time's up signal sounds])

TRIPLE RHYME TIME $2000: Go online with your brisket brag

MANKIEWICZES AT THE MOVIES $2000: The title character of Joseph's "All About Eve" isn't played by Bette Davis but by her
(Roger: Who is Crawford?)
(Stephanie: Who is -- [shaking head] Anne Bancroft?)
(Vijay: Who's Arden?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Roger: $17,200
Vijay: $8,800
Stephanie: $7,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS WOMEN

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Roger: Wager $401 to cover Vijay, but no more than $1,599 so as not to fall behind Stephanie's doubled score.
Vijay: You have the hope of surpassing Roger if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,401 to force Roger to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Stephanie.
Stephanie: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This crusader, in 1906: "More than 60 years of hard struggle for a little liberty, & then to die without it seems so cruel"

FINAL SCORES
Stephanie: $7,800 + $7,800 = $15,600 (Who is Susan B. Anthony?) (3rd place)
Vijay: $8,800 + $8,800 = $17,600 (Who is S.B. Anthony?) (2nd place)
Roger: $17,200 + $401 = $17,601 (Who is Anthony?) (New champion: $17,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Roger: $11,800, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
Stephanie: $10,800, 18 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Vijay: $8,800, 15 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $31,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Roger: 22/60 = .367
Stephanie: 19/59 = .322
Vijay: 16/58 = .276
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BRAND NAMES $200: peanutbutter.com is the website for this 6-letter brand
[Stephanie silently counts on fingers before responding; Alex and audience laugh]
(Alex: Aren't you glad you've got at least five fingers?)
(Stephanie: Indeed, indeed!)

INVENTORS & INVENTIONS $600: Here's Dr. Lonnie Johnson holding two of his inventions, the Nerf Dart Gun and this alliterative one

CABLE NETWORKS $800: "Army Wives" &
"24 Hour Catwalk"
(Roger: What is -- Fashion?)

TRIPLE RHYME TIME $800: Jacket worn when transporting billys & nannys in a launch
(Alex: Yeah, you got 'em all, you got all three.)

KING JAMES BIBLE QUOTES $800: To King Hezekiah, "Thus saith the lord, set thine" this "in order, for thou shalt die, and not live"
(Roger: What are affairs?)

TRIPLE RHYME TIME $400: The most outstanding policeman's agricultural yield
(Stephanie: What is a top cop's crop?)
(Alex: Yes. [pause] No. [Stephanie appears to realize her mistake.])

CERN $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew gives us a clue about the Large Hadron Collider at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland.) CERN really is the coolest place on Earth; prior to operation, one-eighth of the LHC was cooled with superfluid helium to -271 degrees Celsius, a few degrees above this term for the lowest temperature possible

CERN $1200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew brings us the clue from outside CERN in Geneva, Switzerland.) CERN's globe is a symbol of the Earth and sustainable development; its structure is wood, a material that minimizes the greenhouse effect, due to its ability to store rather than emit this element.

CERN $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew comes to us from the halls of CERN in Geneva, Switzerland.) The offices of this corridor were those of CERN computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee, who wanted to connect hypertext to the internet in an effort to easily relay information, thereby creating this service that is now practically synonomous with the internet.

WORLD NEWSPAPERS $2000: This German tabloid whose name means "Picture" was founded in 1952 for those with poor reading skills
(Roger: What is Stern?)

MANKIEWICZES AT THE MOVIES $400: (I'm Ben Mankiewicz of Turner Classic Movies.) My grandfather Herman Mankiewicz shared screenplay credit with Orson Wells on this film, often called the greatest movie of all time

CORRECT RESPONSES
Dolby
Robitussin
in corpore sano
the Maltese Falcon
vanity
rabbit abbot habit
post roast boast
Ann Baxter
(Susan B.) Anthony
Skippy
a Super Soaker
Lifetime
goat coat boat - boat goat coat
house
top cop crop
absolute zero
carbon
the World Wide Web
Bild
Citizen Kane
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Famous Women

This crusader, in 1906: "More than 60 years of hard struggle for a little liberty, & then to die without it seems so cruel."

Spoiler
Who is Susan B. Anthony?
Roger Craig: $17,200+$401=$17,601...advances to quarterfinals of Decades Tournament
Vijay Balse: $8,800+$8,800=$17,600
Stephanie Jass: $7,800+$7,800=$15,600
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

13 and 12, Coryat of $17K in a BotD game? No foolin'. I'll take it.

====

At the first break, I had three mental blocks: Melville, Miller, and Pyrex.

Ran Inventors, which I believe is my first run in this tournament.

My cats decided to wrestle on the laptop when the TV category was wrapping up, but amid their hissing I still heard "Sharknado" and got Syfy.

====

Clammed on "Sputnik" because I figured it was too easy for $1200.

Triple RT was tough. I got "Rabbit something" at $1600, but couldn't get any of the words at $2000.

Emmanuel was my only get in Bible, oddly.

Blanked on Hindenburg and clammed on doubloon.

World Wide Web was a "duh" moment. I overthought the clue and almost said Arpanet.

====

"Susan… nah, they won't go THAT easy on BotD. There's just gotta be a trick to this. Oh, Alex said it's tricky, I think I did the right thing by clamming an FJ! for once." Derp.
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lieph82 »

Great game all!

Dr. J, how'd you lose to that scrub?
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Another great game... but very disappointing that it came down to an easy FJ. This game deserved better.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Great game played by all.

Picked up Lach trash: "Robitussin"

Instaget FJ. I don't know why Alex said it was tricky.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
"Susan… nah, they won't go THAT easy on BotD. There's just gotta be a trick to this. Oh, Alex said it's tricky, I think I did the right thing by clamming an FJ! for once." Derp.
It is never right to clam on FJ.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

heelsrule1988 wrote:Another great game... but very disappointing that it came down to an easy FJ. This game deserved better.
I wonder if you'd have a different perspective if Roger and Vijay had each other's scores. This goes back to Vijay's interview; this type of clue isn't a gimme for him.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

But he got it right, though.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

The Mankiewicz clan is mentioned today in the thread on yesterday's game and a category on their movies turns up in DJ! today.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

I guess I'm gonna be the only one to go for Elizabeth Cady Stanton. For some reason I placed Anthony's death a couple decades later. Oh well. Very entertaining game.
hscer

Post by hscer »

Have the games been easier, or is this decade just going to dominate the tournament games?
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

As others have noted, a great, great game... very fast-moving, although I agree that some of the clues were pretty easy for such a high-caliber class of players.

FJ caught me up for a second... could it really be that easy? For a moment I was tempted to go for Stanton, but no, I went with Susan B.

Was rooting for Dr. J all the way through... love the glasses, and I'd love you referring once again to the famed "Devil" remark.

Looking forward to the rest of the week.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Fishercat wrote:I guess I'm gonna be the only one to go for Elizabeth Cady Stanton. For some reason I placed Anthony's death a couple decades later. Oh well. Very entertaining game.
Nope--another Stanton here, and for similar reasons. I also thought that Anthony seemed too obvious.

This was an easier and much more well written board than the one that was used in yesterday's game, so I can't complain about the FJ.

I loved the "Super Soaker" clue. It took me back to my childhood!

I got help from two past FJs on two different clues in this game: Samonsite, and the Maltese falcon (the latter was the FJ from Catherine Ramen's first round UToC game).

Congrats to Roger, Vijay, and Stephanie on a great game! Y'all are awesome!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Anybody got a link to the first 10 minutes--up through Roger Craig's interview? PM or email me if so. (I don't dare look at this thread.) The idiots at NBC decided I needed an important ObamaCare update.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I got this FJ, but I thought there was something imperfect about it -- was there any clear or obvious way to choose between Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton? (Unless you were already familiar with the exact quote in question.)

After looking up their death dates, they turn out to be 1906 and 1902 respectively.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

legendneverdies wrote:The Mankiewicz clan is mentioned today in the thread on yesterday's game and a category on their movies turns up in DJ! today.
It's not as coincidental as you think--or at least not in the way that you think it. Rex Kramer mentioned it in yesterday's thread and he was at the taping. On the other hand, the fact that Alan Bailey mentioned it to him while they were taping the game before today's is coincidental. In fact, I almost responded to Rex's post in yesterday's thread with a comment to the effect of that I'm surprised they didn't kick you all out for talking. I wonder if they had heard the conversation if they would have considered throwing the whole category out because of an abundance of S&P caution.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

The quote in FJ! sounded to me like it was said after the person was already dead. I almost said Stanton for that reason, but went with Susan B.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Excellent game, but we were expecting that. Roger, congrats and well done (as per usual). Stephanie, sorry to see you lose. When the scores were shown after DJ, I thought Roger had a lock because I was only looking at Stephanie's score. I knew Vijay had caught fire and was hastening along, but I didn't realize he'd come back that far. FJ? Can it really be that obvious? I guess so. The whole board had the feel of a normal match, not a tournament. So I guess it was in keeping with that level of difficulty.

And yes, Roger, we do know how you roll!