Monday, April 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6811, 2014-04-07

CONTESTANTS
Jonathan Kuehnle, a high-school campus director from Springfield, Onio
Michelle Leppert, a senior managing editor from Danvers, Massachusetts
Amy Nienaber, an aspiring student from Bettendorf, Iowa (whose 2-day cash winnings total $51,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard.
Well, our champion, Amy, has been standing in the wings for a little while, as you all know, while we presented the third and final preliminary round for our upcoming "Battle of the Decades." We now know who the 15 participants are gonna be, and it's gonna be one wild competition, I can assure you.
Today, though, Amy is here to defend against Michelle and Jonathan. Let's see if they can wind up earning $51,000 in just 2 days.
All right, let's go to work In the first round, the Jeopardy! round, and these are the categories that are now in play.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ICE CREAM PARLOR WORDS (5/5)
INNOVATION (5/5)
AUTHORS' PLOTS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GUITARS (2/5)
TV HOSTS BY INITIALS (4/5)
THE USS OLYMPIA (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Amy: 12 R, 0 W
Michelle: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jonathan: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michelle found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Amy had $600, Michelle had $800, and Jonathan had nothing in the bank. Michelle wagered $1,000.

AUTHORS' PLOTS $1000: The monument for his grave in Elmira, New York is 2 fathoms tall
(Michelle: Who is Washington Irving)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Amy: $2,600
Michelle: $800
Jonathan: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Quite often, I hear comments from viewers and people here in our studio audience who say we have a lovely set for Jeopardy! but it's not quite as good for Jonathan Kuehnle because you are color-blind?
Jonathan: Yes, I am totally colour-blind. I see nothing but black, white, shades of gray. That's about it.
Alex: You know, I love some of the black-and-white movies from the '40s and '50s, but you have no need for a color television set, then.
Jonathan: Didn't own one until I was 23, And The Wizard of Oz meant nothing to me.
[ laughter ]
Alex: Shh. You're not supposed to say that. That was filmed here.

Alex: Michelle Leppert is from Danvers, Massachusetts, and she admits to having had the worst summer job ever. What were you doing?
Michelle: I spent a summer selling books door-to-door. Straight commission. 3,000 miles from home. We worked 70 to 80 hours a week, and I met the people I came out to Fresno with the week before we came out.
Alex: What kind of books were you selling that made it so bad?
Michelle: Educational books, but the whole idea of door-to-door salespeople, even when I was doing it, people are not really fond of strangers knocking on the door, trying to sell them things.
Alex: Will they slam the door in your face?
Michelle: Slam the door in your face. They'll call you names. They'll sic the dog on you.
Alex: Oh, gosh.
Michelle: Yeah, it was --It seemed like a good idea at the time, though.
Alex: Yeah. A lot of things seemed like a good idea at the time.

Alex: Amy Nienaber is our champion. Tell me about your cat. Your cat's very talented, isn't it?
Amy: Yes. If you point a finger gun at her, she will fall over dead, and then you can tell her to roll over, and she'll roll over.
Alex: How long did it take you to teach her that trick?
Amy: Probably... maybe a couple months.
Alex: A couple months. Well, keep working with her.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AUTHORS' PLOTS $600: After his death in Samoa, this Scotsman's body was taken to a plot atop Mount Vaea

GUITARS $400: String vibrations are converted into amplifiable signals by these magnetic devices that sound like they're made by Ford or Chevy.
(Michelle: What are pedals?)

GUITARS $800: Leo was the first name of this designer of the iconic Stratocaster electric guitar

GUITARS $1000: The Stratocaster's great river is the instrument made by Gibson & named for this jazz guitar great

TV HOSTS BY INITIALS $1000: "Extra" (co-host), "The X Factor" (host): M. L.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Amy: $6,000
Michelle: $2,600
Jonathan: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 7, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BORN TO BE WILD (5/5)
"COM" TO ME (5/5)
QUOTABLE QUOTES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ON THE BEAUTIFUL BLUE DANUBE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A LEAGUE (5/5)
OF THERON (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jonathan: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Michelle: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Amy: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michelle snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Amy had $7,600, Michelle had $8,600, and Jonathan was at $3,800. Michelle wagered $3,000.

QUOTABLE QUOTES $2000: Year in which a U. S. president remarked, "this is the greatest week in the history of the world since the creation"
(Michelle: I have no idea. What is 1946?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jonathan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Amy had $11,600, Michelle had $8,400, and Jonathan was at $10,200. Jonathan wagered $2,000.

ON THE BEAUTIFUL BLUE DANUBE $1600: It's the only country through whose territory the Danube flows that used to be part of the USSR

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Amy: $12,800
Michelle: $12,400
Jonathan: $12,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOOD & DRINK

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Amy: Wager $12,001 to cover Michelle.
Michelle: You ought to wager to cover Jonathan, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $12,400. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $12,000 (to shut out Jonathan) or less than $11,600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Jonathan). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Amy.
Jonathan: You ought to try wagering between $201 and $11,400. This will top a $0 wager by Michelle while still beating Amy and Michelle on the Triple Stumper (should Amy wager to cover Michelle's doubled score and Michelle wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The corporate website for this product says it leaves its container at .028 miles per hour

FINAL SCORES
Jonathan: $12,200 + $12,000 = $24,200 (What is ... Heinz Ketchup) (2nd place: $2,000)
Michelle: $12,400 + $12,300 = $24,700 (What is Heinz Ketchup?) (New champion: $24,700)
Amy: $12,800 - $12,200 = $600 (What is Reddi Whip?) (3rd place: $1,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Michelle: $16,400, 18 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Amy: $12,800, 20 R, 1 W
Jonathan: $11,800, 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $41,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Amy: 20/58 = .345
Michelle: 19/60 = .317
Jonathan: 14/59 = .237
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
INNOVATION $800: (Al Gore delivers the clue form his office)
A change with thrilling implications for medicine & sobering ones for human autonomy is the life science revolution that has made this individual profile of your DNA available for 4 figures & dropping

THE USS OLYMPIA $200: (Kelly reports on board the Olympia in the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia)
On May 1, 1898, during
the Spanish-American War, the Olympia made history as Admiral Dewey's flagship, leading the U.S. fleet to victory In the decisive naval battle of this bay.

THE USS OLYMPIA $400: (Kelly gives the clue from the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia)
This ship needed giant smokestacks to vent the fumes from its vertical triple expansion engines far below decks that could generate more than 17,000 horsepower, burning 600 pounds of this fuel a minute.

THE USS OLYMPIA $600: (Jimmy gives the clue from the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia)
In 1921, the ship's last official mission was to carry the body of this anonymous personage back to the U.S. from France for burial.

BORN TO BE WILD $400: The wholphin seen here has 66 teeth. Its dolphin mother
had 88, and its father, a false killer one of these,
had 44.

BORN TO BE WILD $800: The cub seen here is one of these creatures, named for
an historical region of India.
(Jonathan: What is a tiger?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Jonathan: What is an Amur tiger?)

BORN TO BE WILD $1200: He doesn't look like much yet, but this little fellow could grow up to get his picture on the back of a quarter someday.
(Jonathan: What is an eagle?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Jonathan: What is a [*]?)

BORN TO BE WILD $1600: This little joey is one of the swamp species of these kangaroo relatives.

BORN TO BE WILD $2000: The little guy just coming out of his shell Is a bouncing baby Burmese this.

A LEAGUE $1200: Founded in 478 B.C., the Delian League united several city-states in the fight against Persia & was led by this city
(Michelle: What is Sparta?)

OF THERON $2000: In 2005 Charlize played this futuristic assassin whose tales were previously told on an MTV animated series
(Amy: Who is Ultraviolet?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Mark Twain
Robert Louis Stevenson
pickups
Fender
Les Paul
Mario Lopez
Ukraine
Heinz ketchup
a genome
Manila Bay
coal
the unknown soldier
a whale
Bengal tiger
bald eagle
wallabies
python
Athens
Aeon Flux
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Food & Drink
The corporate website for this product says it leaves its container at .028 miles per hour.

Spoiler
What is Heinz Ketchup? Amy said Reddi-Whip.

Amy Nienaber: $12,800-$12,200=$600
Michelle Leppert: $12,400+$12,300=$24,700...now a 1-day champion with $24,700
Jonathan Kuehnle: $12,200+$12,000=$24,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

...and by coincidence, I was listening to a song during one of the commercial breaks on the Saturday "Today Show" that ties in with today's final! 8-)
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

What an affable pair of challengers! They really seemed to be enjoying themselves and each other.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So that's what a "stent" is.

NHO Leo Strummer, and The Clash doesn't sound especially familiar either. Also couldn't pull "Les Paul" in time. Still, 3/5 in Guitars isn't bad for a keyboard player.

Ice Cream for $200 confused me since I thought "scoop" only meant "story" in a general sense, so "one paper before others get it" confused the heck out of me.

That "cones" clue was a cruel coincidence with a colorblind contestant on.

I've heard of up, down, strange, charm, top, bottom, if you don't know what a quark is, you still got 'em, but never knew they were called flavors.

Also NHO Manila Bay.

====

Ran Wild and "Com", but my only other gets were $400 in Blue Danube and Theron.

Could "Quotable Quotes" have had any LESS of a TOM on any of those clues? I saw no way to figure out a single one of those.

====

Leaves its container slowly.…♪Anticipation♪… Gotta be Heinz Ketchup!
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Fender a TS? Really?

Also, I said "drizzle" for the "sprinkles" clue. Iffy, granted, but maybe?

Instaget FJ.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Too bad... I had high hopes for Amy. Oh well. :(
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

The new champ played a pretty solid game, was pleased when she bet the max on the early DD. The guy cost himself 25k by not taking advantage of the DD.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I was looking forward to settling back into regular play...and then Fender was a TS. Yikes. Thankfully, they recovered nicely and made it an interesting game.

FJ took about 25 seconds, some of which was wasted doing math in my head :oops: , then once I pictured someing oozing out of its container at a glacial pace, the right answer came to me instantly.
econgator wrote: Also, I said "drizzle" for the "sprinkles" clue. Iffy, granted, but maybe?
Same here.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash: "Robert Louis Stevenson" and "Fender"

Instaget FJ.
Shmuel
Contributor

Post by Shmuel »

econgator wrote:Also, I said "drizzle" for the "sprinkles" clue. Iffy, granted, but maybe?
I had that as well, and would second "Iffy, granted, but maybe?"
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

econgator wrote:
Also, I said "drizzle" for the "sprinkles" clue. Iffy, granted, but maybe?
I'd count it, but then again it was my answer as well.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

No idea on FJ. Speed it comes out the container? Lach Trash on Les Paul.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I'm not worried about the ice cream part of it, but I don't remember the exact wording used to describe the rain.
HeathenBenny
Working On The Age Requirement

Post by HeathenBenny »

Wow, this was an awesome game. A nailbiter to the very end, and I think the best (wo)man won. I have a feeling Michelle will be a tough one to take down. This is gonna be a great week.

This was also my first ever game I did a live Coryat for, and I got $12600, which is a lot better than I thought I'd do. Hit both Doubles in DJ. I have a long way to go from the Tournament of Champions, but I'm proud of my performance with barely any precursory knowledge.
Aspiring sportscaster. If you like sports, you might like my twitter: www.twitter.com/bennybxb
"I don’t spend any time whatsoever thinking about what might have been." ~Alex Trebek
Shmuel
Contributor

Post by Shmuel »

xxaaaxx wrote:I'm not worried about the ice cream part of it, but I don't remember the exact wording used to describe the rain.
"LIGHT RAINS THAT MAY PRECEDE LARGER SHOWERS"
HeathenBenny
Working On The Age Requirement

Post by HeathenBenny »

Shmuel wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:I'm not worried about the ice cream part of it, but I don't remember the exact wording used to describe the rain.
"LIGHT RAINS THAT MAY PRECEDE LARGER SHOWERS"
I had drizzle too, but looking back on it, it would likely be negged. Drizzle is usually independent of other rain.
Aspiring sportscaster. If you like sports, you might like my twitter: www.twitter.com/bennybxb
"I don’t spend any time whatsoever thinking about what might have been." ~Alex Trebek
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

I appreciate any Tolkien reference, but this is really how the clue should have read:

A grave marker for J.R.R. Tolkien and his wife Edith bear the name of these two Middle-earth characters.
Spoiler
Who are Beren and Luthien?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Andromus wrote:I appreciate any Tolkien reference, but this is really how the clue should have read:

A grave marker for J.R.R. Tolkien and his wife Edith bear the name of these two Middle-earth characters.
Spoiler
Who are Beren and Luthien?
That's a TOC level clue (or an LL-level clue, even).