Monday, April 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6821, 2014-04-21

Julia Collins game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Kris Voss, a doctoral student from Durham, North Carolina
Julia Collins, a supply chain professional from Kenilworth, Illinois
Frédérique Delaprée, a foreign service officer from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (whose 2-day cash winnings total $20,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome. Good news for you folks who are watching us at home right now. Starting today and for the next two weeks, we'll be giving away a fabulous trip each day. Now, we've already had 20 winners to fabulous places like the Galápagos Islands, Machu Picchu, the Arctic, Alaska, Easter Island. It could be your turn. Pay attention later on in the program, and you'll find out how you could be a winner. Now, Julia and Kris, you could be a winner today, too, if, uh, you play our game better than our returning champion Frédérique. Good luck to all three of you. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round has these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ABOARD "SHIP" (5/5)
THE CAPTAIN (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE CREW (3/5)
THE FIRST MATE (1/1)
THE SALE MAKER (4/5)
HIGGS, BOSUN (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Frédérique: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Julia: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Kris: 2 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Frédérique found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Frédérique had $1,400, Julia had $1,800, and Kris had a deficit with -$400. Frédérique wagered $500.

THE CAPTAIN $600: Sparking a debate about women in combat, in 1989 U.S. Capt. Linda Bray led troops under fire during the invasion of this country
(Frederique: What is Nicaragua?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Frédérique: $1,900
Julia: $800
Kris: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kris Voss is a doctoral student from Durham, North Carolina, who was national Certamen champion in high school. I don't know what Certamen is.

Kris: Well, yeah, Certamen is like a--

Alex: Oh, "ker-TAH-men".

Kris: Yeah. It's a Latin, uh, or classics, uh, quiz bowl competition that we played in teams.

Alex: Ah.

Kris: And so, uh, our team won nationals twice, like, 20 years ago, so there's not many of us that are in... [Chuckles] the Certamen hall of fame for winning twice. But I am, so...

Alex: All right. Well...

[Kris laughs.]

Alex: That's good for you.

[Laughter]

Alex: Julia Collins is from Illinois. This lady enjoys traveling and has been to some exotic places--probably some of the places that, uh, um, our viewers will get a chance to, uh, visit in our "Explore the World" sweepstakes. Where have you been?

Julia: Most exciting place. The most exciting place was Iceland. I went on a road trip around the entire country with two of my good friends. And it was quite an epic road trip. We saw geysers and glaciers.

Alex: Did you swim in that, uh, famous blue lagoon?

Julia: Oh, we did. We did.

Alex: That's fun, isn't it?

Julia: It was a lot of fun.

Alex: It's fun swimming in that blue lagoon even in the middle of winter, because it's hot. You feel warm and toasty. Okay.

Alex: Frédérique Delaprée is our champion. She had a mishap on her way to Southern California. Wound up losing one of her shoes.

Frédérique: Yes. I was on the way to, actually, Florence, Italy.

Alex: Oh. I'm sorry.

Frédérique: Yes. On a train, uh, to visit my sister. I hopped on the train, and as I was getting on, one of my shoes fell between the train and the platform. So I did the entire 12-hour train trip with just one shoe. And when I got off at the Florence train station, I had to hop into Italy.

[Laughter]

Alex: Now... T-this is a rare circumstance here--a woman traveling with only one pair of shoes.

[Laughter]

Alex: Unheard of in my family.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE CAPTAIN $400: Captain William Ebdon
suggested the design
for this charitable organization's crest

THE CAPTAIN $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew sits with a model ship at the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia.) Here's a replica of the Halve Maen, the ship on which this explorer sailed in search of the Northeast Passage in 1609

THE CREW $600: In "The Ox-Bow Incident", Mapes says, "Rustlers got Kinkaid this morning... there's" a this group "forming"
(Julia: What is mob?)

THE CREW $800: This canine crew plays team sports for North Carolina State
(Kris: What are the Huskies?)

HIGGS, BOSUN $600: These crewmen whose name indicates they work on the ship's upper surface answer to Higgs

HIGGS, BOSUN $800: When he worked a sailing vessel, Higgs supervised the maintenance of this, all the ropes, tackle & chains supporting masts

THE SALE MAKER $1000: John Patterson, CEO of NCR, this company, was one of the first to make use of sales training & retreats

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Frédérique: $3,900
Julia: $1,600
Kris: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 21, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PLAYS & PLAYWRIGHTS (3/3)
LESS-THAN-GENTEEL MEN OF HISTORY (3/5)
MAN CANDY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: In honor of National Park Week, we'll deal with...)
12+-LETTER WORDS (3/5)
THAT '70s SONG (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 8 R, 1 W
Frédérique: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Kris: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kris snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Frédérique had $5,900, Julia had $5,600, and Kris was at $2,400. Kris wagered $2,000.

MAN CANDY $2000: This candy bar was named for what girls said to the boy who came to the candy factory to flirt with them
(Kris: What is... Hey Baby?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Frédérique who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Frédérique had $6,300, Julia had $6,000, and Kris had nothing in the bank. Frédérique wagered $1,500.

THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM $1600: 275-foot tall General Sherman is found in this national park

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THAT '70s SONG $1200: "Holly came from Miami, F‑L‑A, hitchhiked her way across the U.S.A."
(Alex: Take a [*].)

MAN CANDY $1200: These chewy fruit candies with a pair of rhyming names come in varieties like Berry Blast & Tropical Typhoon

THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM $800: The grave seen here is typical of the many found at this historic battlefield, now a national monument
(Frederique: What is Gettysburg?)

12+-LETTER WORDS $800: Description of one who wears eyeglasses
(Kris: What is, uh, nearsighted?)

THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM $2000: This California World War II relocation center is marked by a monument that reads "soul consoling tower"

12+-LETTER WORDS $1200: He's the type of business operator seen here
(Alex: That's a concession stand, so he's a [*].)

LESS-THAN-GENTEEL MEN OF HISTORY $800: In the 1990s divers off the Carolina coast found the wreck of the Queen Anne's Revenge, captained by this pirate

LESS-THAN-GENTEEL MEN OF HISTORY $2000: What a barbarian! In 450 he demanded the Roman emperor's sister as his wife & 1/2 of the Western Empire as dowry

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Julia: $8,000
Frédérique: $7,800
Kris: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC GROUPS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place; two-thirds (exactly) for second place.
Julia: Wager $7,601 to cover Frédérique.
Frédérique: Wager exactly $2,600.
Kris: Bet either $0 to beat Julia and Frédérique on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Frédérique is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager $5,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
With fewer than 10 member cities in attendance, this association based in Lubeck held its last assembly in 1669

FINAL SCORES
Kris: $5,200 - $1,000 = $4,200 (What are the cities I don't know) (3rd place)
Frédérique: $7,800 + $7,300 = $15,100 (What is the Hanseatic League?) (2nd place)
Julia: $8,000 + $7,605 = $15,605 (What is the Hanseatic League?) (New champion: $15,605)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Frédérique: $8,400, 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Julia: $8,000, 16 R, 3 W
Kris: $7,200, 8 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $23,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Julia: 17/58 = .293
Frédérique: 14/60 = .233
Kris: 8/59 = .136
Team: 39/63 = .619

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ABOARD "SHIP" $400: It's the art of handwriting
(Kris: I'm... sorry.)

THE CREW $1000: The book title "Band of Brothers" is from the St. Crispin's Day speech by this Shakespearean king
(Julia: Who is Henry IV?)

HIGGS, BOSUN $400: Higgs spent a couple of years in this nonmilitary alliterative body whose flag is seen here

THE SALE MAKER $200: In this billionaire's words, "In 1970 I founded Virgin as a mail order record retailer"
(Alex: Right, with less than a minute to go.)

THE FIRST MATE $200: She was the first spouse of both Sean Penn & Guy Ritchie (wonder what else they have in common?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

THE NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM $400: This type of formation seen here lends its name to a Montana national park

12+-LETTER WORDS $2000: Atmospheric pressure can be adjusted to acclimate a diver to normal pressure in this type of chamber
(Julia: What is depressurization?)

LESS-THAN-GENTEEL MEN OF HISTORY $1600: In 38 A.D. this "little boot" emperor executed the Praetorian Guard prefect to whose support he owed his accession
(Alex: Right, with less than a minute.)

PLAYS & PLAYWRIGHTS $800: (Ben Brantley of The New York Times delivers the clue.) Zachary Quinto gave a benchmark performance as Tom Wingfield in such a thorough rejuvenation of this Tennessee Williams play that I hesitate to call it a revival

PLAYS & PLAYWRIGHTS $1200: The chorus in this play by Aristophanes takes the form of amphibians, hence the title
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Panama
the Salvation Army
Henry Hudson
posse
the Wolfpack
deckhands
rigging
National Cash Register
Oh Henry!
Sequoia National Park
"Walk On The Wild Side"
Mike & Ike
Little Big Horn
bespectacled
Manzanar
concessionaire
Blackbeard (Edward Teach)
Attila the Hun
the Hanseatic League
penmanship
Henry V
the Merchant Marine
Richard Branson
Madonna
a glacier
decompression
Caligula
The Glass Menagerie
The Frogs
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Historic Groups
With fewer than 10 member cities in attendance, this association based in Lubeck held its last assembly in 1669.

Spoiler
What is the Hanseatic League? Kris said "the cities I don't know".

Julia Collins: $8,000+$7,605=$15,605...now a 1-day champion with $15,605
Frederique Delapree: $7,800+$7,300=$15,100
Kris Voss: $5,200-$3,000=$2,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had no idea what the Hanseatic League was, what it did, where it was based or when it existed. I had never heard of that city. But I put it down anyway because something is better than nothing. I even misspelled it as Hanciatic. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. No idea why that group even came to me.

Other than that, it was a brutal game to watch. A guy at Duke didn't know N.C. State's nickname. Gettysburg I'm 1876. Neither board was cleared. More puny DD bets from Frederique. Then when she should make a small FJ bet of $2,600, she goes nearly all in.

Two players corrected Alex. Both lost.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anyone wanna explain how we had LTAM in the J! round with TEN clues to go?!

Lach trash: National Cash Register, Mike & Ike, bespectacled, Manzanar (we were assigned a book on it in 3rd grade).

====

Sportsmanship was my only "ship" miss, but Captain and Crew both went entirely over my head.

Hull at $1000 was overvalued. I Skunked Bosun, but clammed on three, that one included.

Sale felt upside-down. Richard Branson at $200 was waaaaaaay undervalued IMO. Also didn't notice "gum" in the Wrigley clue at $400 until too late, but easily got the bottom three.

====

Thought Mr. Goodbar was a very obscure start at $400. I've only ever seen the mini ones, never a full sized one, and even then, I haven't seen the mini ones in nearly 15 years. Also NHO Oh Henry bars.

Oddly, Manzanar was my only get in National Parks. The others just weren't connecting. Not even Sequoia, which after the reveal I thought was a stupid-easy DD.

====

Not even a guess on FJ! Have I mentioned yet that I got abolutely no world history at all? I don't think I've ever heard "Hanseatic" in my life.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Is this a wager to tie situation that the wagering calculator doesn't have? I feel like Frederique was in a position to bet exactly 2600 but the calculator didn't mention it. What is this exact situation?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ran Higgs, Bosun.

I said "concessionist" for the theater worker. 13 letters, so it should be good.

Instaget FJ.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

The only thing I associate with Lubeck is the Hanseatic League, so it was an easy FJ for me. Anyway, this was a really sloppy game for all the players. Frederique never impressed me, and there were way too many triple stumpers.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bamaman wrote: ..brutal game to watch. A guy at Duke didn't know N.C. State's nickname. Gettysburg I'm 1876.
I threw my hands up in disgust after that Gettysburg guess. Didn't care who won after that. 'Mob' for 'posse' gave me a good laugh.
More puny DD bets from Frederique. Then when she should make a small FJ bet of $2,600, she goes nearly all in.
This is probably mean, but after that 500 wager on a first round DD with 1400 total, I was hoping FJ came down to a similar margin (yes I know she got it wrong, but still, such terrible wagers should be punished)

Lubeck didn't immediately ring any bells, but it was instaget the second he mentioned the year.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esrever

Post by esrever »

I counted 15 clues that none of the three contestants answered correctly!

Picked up a bunch of Lach trash: "Salvation Army", "Wolfpack", "Henry Hudson", "deck hands", "rigging", "posse", "National Cash Register", "Blackbeard", "Attila the Hun"

Instaget FJ.
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

Yelling at the TV when they got the LTAM warning in both rounds and went to the top of the column in each. And in Plays & Playwrights, too... :cry:
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Bamaman wrote:I had no idea what the Hanseatic League was, what it did, where it was based or when it existed. I had never heard of that city. But I put it down anyway because something is better than nothing.
I was similar. I wrote down "Hanseatic League" almost as a desperation thing.

I'm not familiar with Lubeck, but thought it might be in Germany. And if not Germany, then maybe the Netherlands or Denmark or something.

And I knew the Hanseatic League was some sort of multi-city Baltic or Northern European thing, and I knew it might have existed around the late Middle Ages or early modern period.

But it was still, for me, an extremely tentative, stab-in-the-dark kind of guess. I knew the Hanseatic League was a "thing", but I would be unable to answer any follow-up questions about it.

I was so surprised to be correct that I actually let out a little squeal of delight.

For the Little Big Horn clue, I said "Custer's Last Stand". I don't remember the exact wording of the clue, so I don't know whether that would be correct.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

That 70s song for $400 in DJ! had the players ID Staying Alive by the Bee Gees based on lyrics. Alex said "We're staying alive with the Bee Gees" when a contestant kept themself alive in the match on his last episode of High Rollers in 1980.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Speaking of coincidences, tonight glaciers came up during the contestant interviews, and then "glacier" was later a correct response in the National Parks category.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

skullturf wrote:For the Little Big Horn clue, I said "Custer's Last Stand". I don't remember the exact wording of the clue, so I don't know whether that would be correct.
I'd give it to you. The previous name of the location was Custer Battlefield National Monument. There was some objection when the name was changed to Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument in 1991, but my thought was why name a battlefield after the commanding loser?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a pretty enjoyable board, so it's even more of a shame that there were so many clues left uncovered.

I did certamen in high school and was on a state championship team in my junior year, so it was cool that it was mentioned in the interview segment.

I got FJ in 5-10 seconds, to bring me to 8 in a row (My personal best is 10, at least as long as I have been keeping track). I was thinking that this FJ clue and the ones last week on U.S. Presidents and the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World are ones that the writers should have included in the 2000s Battle of the Decades week, but it's sounding like tonight's FJ will play easier than I would have guessed.

I enjoyed watching Frederique and am kind of sad to see her go, but she should have wagered more on that first DJ round DD. Props to the new champ for getting The Frogs on the last clue of the game to give her the victory!
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

I have a feeling Alex's expedition promos are going to make it difficult for the contestants to clear the board. Today, the board would like have not been cleared anyway due to all of the TSers.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Bamaman wrote: ..brutal game to watch. A guy at Duke didn't know N.C. State's nickname. Gettysburg .
ezactly what I was thinking.
Songs and candy are sit and stare for me...overall, tough to watch. At least the champ is happy to be there. Not sure I was fred. Ever cracked a smile.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Never heard of the Hanseatic League. Did well otherwise though. I'm not tracking my score these days - more practicing speaking up for my audition.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Given the number of TSs this game, I was pleasantly surprised to see two of the contestants respond to the Final correctly.