Wednesday, April 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6828, 2014-04-30

Julia Collins game 8.

CONTESTANTS
John Ogden, a communications executive from Silver Spring, Maryland
Mallory Howe, an eighth-grade history teacher from Brea, California
Julia Collins, a supply chain professional from Kenilworth, Illinois (whose 7-day cash winnings total $144,910)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny. Thank you. Welcome. You average $20,000 per win for a couple of days on Jeopardy!, you're doing quite well. Do it for seven shows in a row, you're doing extremely well. But that's the case for our champion, Julia. Mallory and John, yeah, you know how good you're gonna have to be today to replace her. But good luck to all three of you. Here we go. Let's see what happens in this first round with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LET'S SPEAK CANADIAN (4/5) (Alex: Eh?)
BETWEEN (5/5)
DAD TV (5/5) (Alex: We want you to name the show, of course.)
HOW THEY DIED (5/5)
FROM "C" TO SHINING "C" (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response begins and ends with the letter "C.")
THE ART OF NORMAN ROCKWELL (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Mallory: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
John: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Julia had $1,800, Mallory had $800, and John was at $1,400. Julia wagered $1,000.

THE ART OF NORMAN ROCKWELL $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.) For "The Recruit" in 1966, Rockwell borrowed the pose of the football player from a sculpture of Giuliano de' Medici by this Florentine master
(Julia: Who is da Vinci?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mallory: $3,400
John: $1,400
Julia: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: John Ogden does public relations for a very well-known charitable organization, which is...

John: The Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Alex: And how many wishes does the foundation make come true each day?

John: That's great. Actually, every 40 minutes, across the United States, we make another child's wish come true. In our chapter --I work for the Mid-Atlantic chapter --we make one happen every single day.

Alex: Good for you guys.

John: Thank you.

[Applause]

Alex: Mallory Howe.

Mallory: Hello.

Alex: Eighth-grade history teacher.

Mallory: Yes.

Alex: The BBC puts out a list of 100 must-read books.

Mallory: Yes.

Alex: And it is one of your ambitions to read all of those books?

Mallory: I'm trying to get through the list. I decided that if I read it in high school but didn't quite remember, I was gonna do them a reread, and if I read it in a different language, I was gonna reread them, so I've enjoyed kind of going back through and --

Alex: Are there many American books --books by American authors in that list?

Mallory: Not a lot, no.

Alex: No?

Mallory: Not too many, no.

Alex: They're a little chauvinistic, are they?

Mallory: Yes. [laughs]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Julia Collins is our champion. She will visit any place that has a museum in its designation, right?

Julia: Yep.

Alex: Any one that you have not visited that's on your bucket list --you want to make a point of visiting?

Julia: You know, I've been to a lot of wonderful museums. I've been to the Prado, but I would love to go back, 'cause I was in kind of a rush. So that's where I'd love to return.

Alex: It takes time to visit the Prado.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LET'S SPEAK CANADIAN $600: "Deke", a hockey move that fakes a defender out of position, is short for this word

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Julia: $4,600
Mallory: $4,400
John: $4,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
POETS & POETRY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WE "R" THE WORLD (5/5)
LET'S AGREE ON A PRICE (4/5)
THE MIDDLE AGES (4/5)
LOW-TECH HIGH TECH (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NATIONAL SPELLING BEE WINNING WORDS (3/3) (Alex: The 2014 bee is coming up. In this category, you have to spell the correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
John: 6 R, 1 W
Mallory: 4 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Julia had $10,600, Mallory had $4,000, and John was at $4,000. Julia wagered $3,000.

POETS & POETRY $2000: The longest poem in "Leaves of Grass", called this since 1881, consists of 52 sections
(Julia: What...is...[*]?)
(Alex: Ah. That was a guess, right? Wasn't it?)
[Julia nods]
(Alex: It's right.)
(Julia: All right!)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mallory who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Julia had $15,200, Mallory had $6,400, and John was at $5,600. Mallory wagered $1,000.

LOW-TECH HIGH TECH $1200: A salad spinner can help diagnose anemia by acting as this device to separate red blood cells from plasma

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MIDDLE AGES $1200: Around 1169 Arab philosopher Ibn Rushd began writing his commentaries on the works of these 2 ancient Greeks

LOW-TECH HIGH TECH $400: A hard reboot of your computer can be accomplished with this simple pair of steps
(Mallory: What is control-alt-delete?)
(Alex: What is [*]? [*] -- that's how I solve all of my problems.)

POETS & POETRY $1600: In this Longfellow poem, the little village of Grand-Pre lay "in the Acadian land on the shores of the Basin of Minas"

LET'S AGREE ON A PRICE $1600: Megyn Price & Patrick Warburton played the long-married Audrey & Jeff Bingham on this CBS sitcom

LOW-TECH HIGH TECH $2000: Keeping a computer secure by disconnecting it from a network is using this type of 3-letter "gap"
(Alex: It's called using an [*] gap.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Julia: $21,200 (lock game)
John: $8,400
Mallory: $7,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ALBUM COVERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Julia: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
John: Wager $7,201 to cover Mallory.
Mallory: Risk between $601 and $6,600, covering John's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This band used a picture of the Hindenburg disaster on the cover of its eponymous debut album

FINAL SCORES
Mallory: $7,800 + $7,000 = $14,800 (What is Led Zepplin?) (3rd place: $1,000)
John: $8,400 + $7,201 = $15,601 (What is Led Zeppelin?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Julia: $21,200 + $4,500 = $25,700 (What is Led Zeppelin?) (8-day champion: $170,610)
(Alex: This is one of those "duh" Finals. You got to get this one, right?)
[John laughs]
(Alex: [revealing Mallory's response] Even though you misspelled it.)
(Mallory: Spelled it wrong. I know. [laughs])
(Alex: Just a little. You forgot an "E," but that's okay.)
(Alex: [revealing Julia's response] Oh, a little risky.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Julia: $21,200, 25 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
John: $8,400, 14 R, 2 W
Mallory: $8,000, 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $37,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Julia: 26/60 = .433
John: 15/58 = .259
Mallory: 13/59 = .220
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE ART OF NORMAN ROCKWELL $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.) In 1916, "Boy with Baby Carriage" earned Norman Rockwell $75 & his first of more than 300 covers for this magazine

THE ART OF NORMAN ROCKWELL $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.) Used to promote war bonds during World War II, Rockwell's "Four Freedoms", depicting freedom from want & fear, freedom of worship, & the one here, freedom of speech, were inspired by a 1941 speech given by this man

THE ART OF NORMAN ROCKWELL $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.) In the work here, painted over 11 years, Rockwell takes you for a Christmas Eve stroll along this primary thoroughfare in Stockbridge -- every small town has one

THE ART OF NORMAN ROCKWELL $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.) Fond of Dickens & Victorian images, Rockwell based the one here on this classic tale

LET'S SPEAK CANADIAN $400: In Toronto, your "hydro bill" is for this essential, not water
(Julia: What is gas?)

LET'S SPEAK CANADIAN $1000: Perfect for the cooler weather, a "tuque" is one of these
(Alex: That's it. Knitted cap.)

BETWEEN $200: This male singing voice is about halfway between tenor & bass

BETWEEN $1000: Listed alphabetically, this state capital comes between Denver & Dover
(John: ...)
(Alex: No, nothing?)
(John: No.)

FROM "C" TO SHINING "C" $1000: A language written in the Greek alphabet but descended from Ancient Egyptian
(Mallory: What is Cyrillic?)

WE "R" THE WORLD $1600: In 1895 Oscar Wilde went to gaol in this town
(John: Oh. Sorry.)

LET'S AGREE ON A PRICE $2000: African-American soprano Mary Price is better known by this name
(Alex: That's it, with a minute to go.)

NATIONAL SPELLING BEE WINNING WORDS $400: 1984:
a French-named sled with its own Olympic events
(Mallory: What is a [*] -- [*]?)

NATIONAL SPELLING BEE WINNING WORDS $1200: 1993:
a World War II suicide pilot
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Michelangelo
decoy
"Song of Myself"
a centrifuge
Aristotle & Plato
turning it off, turning it on (or unplugging it, plugging it back in)
"Evangeline"
Rules of Engagement
air
Led Zeppelin
The Saturday Evening Post
FDR
Main Street
A Christmas Carol
electricity
a hat
baritone
Des Moines
Coptic
Reading
Leontyne Price
L-U-G-E
K-A-M-I-K-A-Z-E
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Album Covers
This band used a picture of the Hindenburg disaster on the cover of its eponymous debut album.

Spoiler
What is Led Zeppelin?

Julia Collins: $21,200+$4,500=$25,700...now an 8-day champion with $170,610
John Ogden: $8,400+$7,201=$15,601
Mallory Howe: $7,800+$7,000=$14,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Invigilator???? What the hell???? (I got it but by inference in the clue, as I'm sure the contestant did)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

And the tiara has been passed to the new Queen of Jeopardy!.

No way can you miss this FJ. Well, I did. Never made the leap from Hindenberg to Zeppelin. Wrote down Grateful Dead as a guess.

Julia risked her lock with her bet.
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

Ooh, Clavin's Rule up in hurrrr.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

John had some of the wordiest clue selections I've ever heard.

NHO "proctor".

I knew what a tuque was, but couldn't articulate it. "Oh, a thing you put on your head to keep it warm. What is it called?" Don't overthink it, stupid.

Also blanked on Saturday Evening Post. Ended up 0/5 in Rockwell.

Momentarily blanked on I Love Lucy and it kept me from running Dads. Hate it when the only one I miss is $200.

Seeing another name with "Crick" was enough to make me clam on "Watson". Didn't know there was a third person with them.

"Catholic" = "broad minded"?! Huh?!?!?

FJ! just zoomed miles over my head, with "The Price Is Right" being literally my only get. Doesn't help when they're putting weird stuff like Rabat at $400, or that Low Tech High Tech clue about turning off and back on.

====

"Blah blah Hindenburg". I had Led Zeppelin before Alex was done reading the clue.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

'Deke' is shory for decoy (or...anything, for that matter)? Hm. Also, it's a Canadianism?? I've heard it a million times.
"Catholic" = "broad minded"?! Huh?!?!?
Must...resist...

This FJ will top 90%, right?
TenPoundHammer wrote: "Blah blah Hindenburg". I had Led Zeppelin before Alex was done reading the clue.
RIGHT???
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Catholic" = "broad minded"?! Huh?!?!?
I'll admit I've never heard of that usage, either. Best I could come up with was civic.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

She Clavin'd... oh snap! Julia is really impressing me, but I'm shocked she did that.

I'm guessing I'm going to be the only person here who didn't get FJ. :lol:
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I'm guessing she just did the math wrong, off by $100 the wrong way (not that that's a valid excuse, with all the time they have to figure out their wagers, but I'm hoping it wasn't deliberate).
esrever

Post by esrever »

Julia continues to be very impressive. Congrats to her on her 8th win!

Picked up Lach trash: "decoy", "turn off/turn on", "Evangeline", "air"

Instaget FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

heelsrule1988 wrote:I'm guessing I'm going to be the only person here who didn't get FJ. :lol:
You've already been beaten by about 4 posts.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

I mean, I'll be fully honest, for some reason I couldn't think of it at first because I was focusing literally on visuals rather than the context clue, so it was a 27th second spot for me. But once I did get it, I was having the "duh" moment Alex said.

I was wondering whether Julia technically risked the lock. I also wonder whether she correctly intuited that second would not bet everything and took a little more risk.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

UniquePerspective wrote:I mean, I'll be fully honest, for some reason I couldn't think of it at first because I was focusing literally on visuals rather than the context clue, so it was a 27th second spot for me. But once I did get it, I was having the "duh" moment Alex said.

I was wondering whether Julia technically risked the lock. I also wonder whether she correctly intuited that second would not bet everything and took a little more risk.
For a hundred bucks...?
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

lieph82 wrote:
UniquePerspective wrote:I mean, I'll be fully honest, for some reason I couldn't think of it at first because I was focusing literally on visuals rather than the context clue, so it was a 27th second spot for me. But once I did get it, I was having the "duh" moment Alex said.

For a hundred bucks...?
I'm not necessarily defending it, just saying if there was a game theory reason, that's the only one I can think of.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

For me, the adjective "catholic" with a lower case C can mean "broad in scope", but "broad-minded" seems like a slightly imprecise paraphrase.

This FJ was easy for me, but I'm interested in popular music trivia of the 70s, 80s, and 90s, and Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands of all time, and one of the very few where I own all their studio albums.

But the clue also seemed gettable even if you're not a big Led Zeppelin fan. I am curious to hear if anybody here got it without really knowing the album or its cover, but just sort of word-associating from "Hindenburg". (My guess is that this FJ will have a higher get rate than the previous two or three.)

Humorous wrong answer: "Blimp Bizkit"

I'm Canadian, so I was hoping to run the Canadian category, and would have been embarrassed if I hadn't. I got "deke", but I never previously consciously thought about what it was short for.

I got all three DDs playing along at home, but two of them were very much best guesses for me, and I wouldn't have rung in had it been a regular clue.

Given a statue I'm not familiar with, and asked to name the "master" from Florence who created it, the best I could do is almost randomly name one of the "big guys". Leonardo or Michelango. But if you only know four pieces of classic art, the one you know that's a sculpture is Michelangelo's David. So Michelangelo won the coin flip for me.

Similarly, "Song of Myself" is one of few Whitman works I can name, and my mom has a copy of "Leaves of Grass" and I thought maybe there was a chance that "Song of Myself" was in there. But I have no idea whether "Song of Myself" is particularly long or not.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

UniquePerspective wrote:
lieph82 wrote:

For a hundred bucks...?
I'm not necessarily defending it, just saying if there was a game theory reason, that's the only one I can think of.
I'd bet she did the calculation and then added a hundred like she'd do in a non-lock game.
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

She's not the only multi-champion who has Clavin'd. Maria Wenglinsky did it in her fifth game, and I believe she was actually the all-time record holder for a woman at that time, ironically enough.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

econgator wrote:You've already been beaten by about 4 posts.
Just saw that... at least I don't have to feel completely terrible. :lol: