TD 190: We Didn't Start The Fire

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 190: We Didn't Start The Fire

Post by jjwaymee »

Think Different 190: We Didn't Start The Fire (Revised Final Standings)

I apologize for the advertisement at the beginning, but it's a small price to pay for the treat of watching this truly awful video...

It's been 25 years since Billy Joel gave us his Baby Boomer musical journey known as We Didn't Start The Fire. Whether you are of the Boomer generation and wistfully remember all of Joel's musical references, or whether you are a Gen X'er or younger who believes that it was the moment Billy jumped the shark on his own brilliant career with his fart-sniffing lyrical tripe, we can all agree that the song at least provides a good study guide for our favorite quiz show.

Even though I am a Gen X'er who lived through barely any of Joel's song references, I can assure you that WDSTF was still very impactful on me. Thanks to Billy, I was forced to participate in a 10th grade English class project in the spring of 1990 where we had to write new lyrics to the song based on our own formative experience in the 80s and then SING IT of all things at a school talent show. There were several problems with that:

1) 16-year-olds are all stupid. We didn't have any real meaningful experiences or cultural touchstones. The Cold War was basically over. The scope of the project necessitated that we write a song about 1980s video games, TV shows and movies. Sure, there was the occasional Chernobyl or Grenada invasion but, c'mon, we didn't know jack about that. All that mattered was if it rhymed or not.

2) I was painfully shy and wanted no part of looking like even more of a dork than I was in front of all of my peers.

3) The talent show forced me to miss watching Shaquille O'Neal's last college game with LSU against Georgia Tech in the NCAA tournament. My bracket was blown up in absentia while I was hiding in the back of a group of 20 kids singing about Pac Man and Jason Voorhies.

So screw you, Billy Joel. Thanks to you I got a C- in Mrs. Tittle's class project. Baby Boomers are the worst. (No, not really. Don't send me your nasty PMs)

Anyway, on to the show...

THE RULES (stolen from previous TDs):

1. Please send me your answers by private message. Do NOT post them anywhere in this thread!

2. The deadline for submission is 11:59:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time on Sunday, May 11.

3. The object, as always, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.
a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
b. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) plus 5 points.
c. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)

4. You may say that you are MOVIN' OUT on one question by listing that instead of an answer. That will give you a score of zero points for that question.

5. You may also feel that a certain question is getting to you and you can't decide on an answer. In that case you can choose to answer PRESSURE and your score for that question will be equal to the "sheep" score. Choosing PRESSURE will not add to the sheep score. The sheep score will always be the most popular real answer, even if more people answer either MOVIN' OUT or PRESSURE.

6. There are two bonus questions. One bonus question will give you the opportunity to subtract points from your final score. For the other bonus question -- well, you had better be careful. You may think that you are a BIG SHOT but you may find out that you are ONLY HUMAN.

7. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when you read the question and when you submit your answers, it is fully acceptable to use that.

8. The first tiebreaker will be the number of correct answers, followed by the number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.

9. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.

Good luck!
Last edited by jjwaymee on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjwaymee

Re: TD 190: We Didn't Start The Fire

Post by jjwaymee »

Feel free to sing along as we reveal the questions...

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnny Ray, South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio,

Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, Television, North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe.

Rosenbergs, H-bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom, Brando, The King and I, And The Catcher In The Rye,

Eisenhower, Vaccine, England's got a new queen, Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye

Question 1

Until 1950 when he brandished a piece of paper that might or might not have had names on it, Joe McCarthy was a relatively obscure senator from Wisconsin who defeated the 22-year veteran Robert LaFollette Jr. to win his seat.

Name a current US senator with at least 20 years of tenure as of May 3, 2014. (15 possible answers)

Question 2

Coming after the first generation of atomic bombs, the hydrogen bomb differs slightly in that it derives most of its energy from a nuclear fusion reaction instead of a fission reaction.

Name a current country that acknowledges possession of nuclear weapons. (8 possible answers).

Question 3

The UK did get a new queen in 1952 upon the death of George VI. She was coronated the following year.

Name a female monarch of England or Great Britain, including uncrowned monarchs and disputed claimants. (8 possible answers)

Question 4

Winning his title in 1952, Rocky Marciano is the only heavyweight champion to be undefeated and untied for his career.

Other than Rocky Marciano, name an American boxer who was an undisputed (recognized by all of the relevant governing bodies for the time period) Heavyweight champion between 1910-1978. (16 possible answers)

Some clarification: I chose to begin at 1910 because it is during the reign of a well-known early champion. I end at 1978 because in that year the undisputed champion lost that status when he refused to agree to a match with Ken Norton and therefore the WBC recognized Norton as its champion. That 1978 champion is one of the possible answers. Norton is not.

Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev, Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc,

Roy Cohn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, Dacron, Dien Bien Phu Falls, Rock Around the Clock.

Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team, Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland,

Bardot, Budapest, Alabama, Khrushchev, Princess Grace,
Peyton Place, Trouble in the Suez

Question 5

Juan Peron, former president of Argentina, is perhaps more famous for his wife, Eva Peron. She later became the subject of a musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber. The musical later was almost ruined by Madonna, but that is neither here nor there.

Other than Evita, name an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical for which he has solo credit for the music (16 possible answers)

Some clarification: A musical produced by ALW where he has shared or zero credit for the music is not a valid answer. The musicals do not necessarily have to have appeared on Broadway or the West End.

Question 6

In 1955 Walt Disney opened Disneyland in California, creating the template for the perfect evil that is a Disney theme park.

Name an attraction at one of the two Disneyland parks (Disneyland & California Adventure) in Anaheim, CA where FASTPASS service is available. (14 possible answers)

Some clarification: For the uninitiated, FASTPASS is a free feature in a Disney park that allows you to "reserve" an appointment for a popular ride. You obtain a FASTPASS ticket at the entrance to the ride and then come back later during your appointment time to skip to the front of the line. Basically, the service is offered on the most popular big-name attractions. Another hint -- Many of these attractions have an identical counterpart at one of the Disneyworld resorts in Florida (Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Hollywood Studios). I will not Trebek you if your answer is not the exact name of the attraction. You just need to be close enough that I know what you mean. If I need clarification I will PM you.

Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac, Sputnik, Chou En-Lai, 
Bridge On The River Kwai,

Lebanon, Charles de Gaulle, California baseball, Starkweather homicides, Children of Thalidomide.

Buddy Holly, Ben Hur, Space Monkey, Mafia, Hula Hoops, Castro, 
Edsel is a no-go,

U2, Syngman Rhee, Payola and Kennedy, Chubby Checker, Psycho,
 Belgians in the Congo

Question 7

In 1958 both the Giants and the Dodgers moved to California, opening the floodgates for other franchise moves and western expansion.

Give the current name and location of a MLB or NFL franchise that has moved from a different metro region since 1958 (after the Dodgers and Giants) to arrive at its 2014 location. (13 possible answers)

Some clarification: By "different metro region" I am excluding situations like the Detroit Lions moving from Pontiac to downtown Detroit. Ditto with the Boston/New England Patriots. Also, the Oakland Raiders moved to L.A. and back again, so they do not count.

Question 8

In 1959 Ford introduced the Edsel, a car that was supposed to be a flagship product but was discontinued after only three years due to abysmal sales.

Give the make and model of one of the top 16 selling passenger vehicles in the United States in 2013. (16 possible answers)

Some clarification: My data comes from Cars.com and while it agrees with other websites I checked, I was unable to find the definitive source. It appears to be self-reported by each manufacturer. Please make sure to provide the make and model. Ford is not acceptable. Edsel is not acceptable. Ford Edsel is acceptable (but wrong).

Question 9

Belgian Congo is the former name of Zaire, which is the former name of Democratic Republic of Congo. Countries shouldn't be allowed to change names. It confuses me. I wish it was like Risk, where South America had only four countries. That's a lot easier to keep track of.

Give the current name of a United Nations member country from the name that it was known as at some point in history (14 possible answers)

The list is below. Make sure to provide the letter that corresponds to your answer so I know which one you are answering.

A. Basutoland
B. British Honduras
C. Ceylon
D. East Pakistan
E. Formosa
F. Gilbert Islands
G. Hibernia
H. Lusitania
I. New Hebrides
J. Northern Rhodesia
K. Nyasaland
L. Portuguese Guinea
M. Siam
N. Upper Volta

Hemingway, Eichmann, Stranger in a Strange Land, Dylan, Berlin, 
Bay of Pigs invasion,

Lawrence of Arabia, British Beatle-mania, Ole Miss, John Glenn, 
Liston beats Patterson,

Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British Politician sex, J.F.K. blown away, 
What else do I have to say?

Question 10

Lawrence of Arabia won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1962. The film was 228 minutes long, or just about as long as this song seems right now. Billy Joel started in 1949 and we have only gotten to 1963 at this point...

Name a winner of the Academy Award for Best Picture from 1949-1961 (13 possible answers)

Some clarification: I am asking for the year in which the film premiered, not the year in which the ceremony was held. It drives me nuts when quizzes ask me which film won Best Picture in 1998 and the answer is Titanic.

Birth control, Ho Chi Minh, Richard Nixon back again, Moonshot, Woodstock, Watergate, punk rock,

Begin, Reagan, Palestine, Terror on the airline, Ayatollah's in Iran, 
Russians in Afghanistan.

Wheel of Fortune, Sally Ride, Heavy metal suicide, Foreign debts,
 Homeless Vets, AIDS, Crack, Bernie Goetz,

Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law, Rock and Roller cola wars, I can't take it anymore

Neither can I, Billy, neither can I.

Question 11

The moon landing of 1969 was the culmination of a monumental effort that began in 1962 with the Mercury program.

Name EITHER a Mercury Seven astronaut OR an astronaut that walked on the moon (18 possible answer, Michael Jackson doesn't count)

Question 12

In the 1980s Coke and Pepsi started running ad campaigns featuring rock n' roll performers. This eventually culminated with Britney Spears pushing America to drink Pepsi, which possibly explains the declining trend in sugary soda drink sales.

Name a performer who has been inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame multiple times (19 possible answers)

Some clarification: These performers have been inducted both as a solo artist and for their body of work with a band OR for their body of work with two bands. In one case, it is solo career and two bands.

So now we have finally reached the year 1989. To close the loop on the dichotomy I espoused at the beginning of this TD, you will get one Baby Boomer bonus question and one Gen X bonus question.

Bonus Question 1

For a reduction of 1 point each, name up to five of Billy Joel's studio albums (maximum 5 point reduction)

Greatest Hits albums or concert albums don't count. There is no penalty for incorrect guesses, but you may only supply a maximum of five answers.

Bonus Question 2

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! This is how a Gen X'er learned history in 1989. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure laid out the blueprint for a successful class presentation. If only I had a phone booth time machine in Mrs. Tittle's 10th grade english class...

For a reduction of 1 point each and a potential 10(!) point reduction in your score, name the characters who were on the stage at San Dimas High School for the final class presentation at the end of the movie. I need first AND last names for all characters where applicable.

For this question you will get a 1 point reduction for every correct response you provide, but if you provide even ONE incorrect response, you will be penalized by having points added to your score according to the TOTAL responses you provided. For example: 5 correct responses = -5 points. 7 correct responses = -7 points. 7 correct responses and 1 incorrect response = +8 points on your score because you gambled and lost.

Good luck everybody!
Last edited by jjwaymee on Sun May 04, 2014 9:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Clarifications

Question 7: It was my intent that the Dodgers and Giants are not valid answers. The timeline for the question begins immediately after they both moved to California.

Question 12: My description of the achievements of the multiple RnR HOF inductees was very poor. There are inductees on the list who were recognized for their work with TWO bands and NO solo career. I apologize for the confusion.
Last edited by jjwaymee on Sun May 04, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Entrants List (57 Total)

hscer
Wheatley
dnbguy
Cat Hat
countguy

geolawyerman
MarkBarrett
gamawire
Creed Bratton
TheyCallMeMrKid

Sarah0114
Kingrat47
hbomb1947
Lumosityfan
Joy

WooWho?
mennoknight
Vanya
bkburner
Alyssa

ElendilPickle
nserven
immaf
DadofTwins
Woppy T

periwinkle
gem
Paucle
tjconn728
DCrawshawJr

dhkendall
Christy
clprez
dott888
lieph82

Noon
Vermonter
jeffwolfe
Matthew5000
eboettch

mitchparov
econgator
CheezeWhiz
Magna
Bamaman

JeopardyMom
Turd Ferguson
goforthetie
Peggles
RandyG

d4z
soxfan99
teapot37
Paulsaysthought
ihavejeoprosy

debramc
Woof
Last edited by jjwaymee on Mon May 12, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had never seen that video before and it was worse than I was expecting. I like the song because of the tune, but as a 46 year old who has spent his entire life hearing baby boomers being the focal point of everything, it was a bit over the top.

Still, I'm looking forward to the quiz and of you ever get on the show, the talent show needs to be your interview subject.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Mrs. Tittle, teaching teenagers? And you think you had it bad?
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

...And we're off. I made the post crash when I tried to supply alt code musical notes around each stanza of the song. Then it gave me an error and I couldn't recover the text I had entered. Also, I was too dumb to save my work. Let that be a lesson for any future first-time TD'ers...
hscer

Post by hscer »

[OOPS]
Last edited by hscer on Sat May 03, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Ooh, I like this one. I also like "We Didn't Start the Fire."
Last edited by Wheatley on Sat May 03, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jjwaymee wrote:Countries shouldn't be allowed to change names. It confuses me. I wish it was like Risk, where South America had only four countries. That's a lot easier to keep track of.
What if they all changed their names to names like "The Squarish-Shaped Country Colored Pink On The Map"?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

I'm really looking forward to entering this TD. I also like the song. I guess I'm a hopeless boomer. :D
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Looks like fun and a challenge. Very nice job! I need clarifications, some of which shouldn't be posted in the thread, so I'll send them all in a PM.
jjwaymee wrote:I apologize for the advertisement at the beginning, but it's a small price to pay for the treat of watching this truly awful video...
My experience seems to be that intro ads don't run within embedded videos. (Or maybe the YouTube gods just smile down on me.)
jjwaymee wrote:For a reduction of 1 point each and a potential 10(!) point reduction in your score, name the characters who were on the stage at San Dimas High School for the final class presentation at the end of the movie. I need first AND last names for all characters where applicable.
I worked for a long time in San Dimas, CA. Can I just name 10 people I worked with instead (first and last names)? Many were indeed characters to the end.
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

Bonus 2 may be the best question in the history of TD.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

For bonus #2...do you want the names that the two San Dimas boys call the personages of historical significance?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

mennoknight wrote:For bonus #2...do you want the names that the two San Dimas boys call the personages of historical significance?
I want the name of the character as stated in the movie credits at IMDB, i.e. the "official" historical name, not a nickname or other name that may have been used by the two protagonists. I will post this as an official clarification. Does that answer your question?
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

jjwaymee wrote:
mennoknight wrote:For bonus #2...do you want the names that the two San Dimas boys call the personages of historical significance?
I want the name of the character as stated in the movie credits at IMDB, i.e. the "official" historical name, not a nickname or other name that may have been used by the two protagonists. I will post this as an official clarification. Does that answer your question?
*plays a sweet Van Halen lick*

Yeah, I just ask because I can probably quote this movie line for line. I was actually thinking of the scene when they introduce the gang to Missy, I mean mom.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

We didn't start the TD...

They were always Sheeping, even when we're sleeping...

We have about 20 entrant and plenty of room for more! There are still singletons available for each and every question.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Dude. You gotta have a poker face like me.

WOAH THREE ACES
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

"Put them in the Iron Maiden."

"EXCELLENT! (air guitar)"

"Execute them!"

"BOGUS!"
Sheepin' it real.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

entry in (after a brief hiatus)
just needed to take a break from these for a bit.