Friday, May 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by floridagator »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
eboettch wrote:Didn't put anything down for FJ. Wonder if they purposely didn't put that in Ken's game...
I wonder about that as well. If they had done it, I'll bet Facebook would have just exploded with allegations!
Grrr.... the contestants are chosen without knowledge of what the questions are. The questions are written without knowledge of who the contestants will be.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

floridagator wrote:
BigDaddyJ wrote:
eboettch wrote:Didn't put anything down for FJ. Wonder if they purposely didn't put that in Ken's game...
I wonder about that as well. If they had done it, I'll bet Facebook would have just exploded with allegations!
Grrr.... the contestants are chosen without knowledge of what the questions are. The questions are written without knowledge of who the contestants will be.
I agree with the former. But I find it hard to completely believe the latter, especially considering how much the show had us prepping for the eventual Ken'n'Brad show. No matter when this show was written, Jennings had to be in their head somewhere. How much they tried to stay neutral while writing categories and questions? We may never know. I myself wondered if we'd see any Geography FJs, considering Ken's well-known expertise in that area.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Would you call the Tuesday FJ! a geography question?

Today was pretty hard. I am so bad at lit I can't really judge tonight's.

Phew. Pam and Colby advance. But, alas, Mark does not. Well, at this level, not everyone who is really good can advance. :)

Do you think they did a Mormon FJ with Ken in mind specifically?
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Dr. J wrote:
floridagator wrote:
BigDaddyJ wrote:
I agree with the former. But I find it hard to completely believe the latter, especially considering how much the show had us prepping for the eventual Ken'n'Brad show. No matter when this show was written, Jennings had to be in their head somewhere. How much they tried to stay neutral while writing categories and questions? We may never know. I myself wondered if we'd see any Geography FJs, considering Ken's well-known expertise in that area.
Plus, there was "Our Old Pal Watson" in Ken's prelim. That had to be deliberate.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

skullturf wrote:I missed this FJ, but I am weirdly proud of my wrong answer -- more proud than I have been of any of my wrong FJ responses in a while.

I parsed the clue as: "A book that came out in the early to mid-1800s shares a title with some kind of artistic work of the current millennium -- a work that had a 'premiere'. So maybe a TV show."

My answer: What is Grey's Anatomy?
THAT'S what I was trying to think of! That was the (admittedly wrong) answer I was searching for during the Think music.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

skullturf wrote:(It turns out that Gray's Anatomy (the book) is from 1858, which isn't 1830, but I still think it's close enough to be an excellent wrong answer.)
And I'm sure that Grey's Anatomy (the TV show) is before 2011, but other than that, that's probably the best possible wrong answer.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

With Pam advancing to the semifinals and Rachael not advancing, as was the case in the 2001 Tournament of Champions, Pam gets deja vu in this tournament by once again being the only woman in the bunch to make it to the semifinal round.
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

countyguy wrote:Would you call the Tuesday FJ! a geography question?
Tuesday seemed as much like a Current Events question than a geography question, IMO.
countyguy wrote:Do you think they did a Mormon FJ with Ken in mind specifically?
I don't know, but I find it interesting. S&P makes sure that the prepared games are chosen randomly, so the chances were low that Ken actually gets that FJ question. Maybe none of them thought it might look fishy to have a FJ centered on that particular book with a heavily favored champ competing who happens to be LDS, but there it is. Of course, the odds are that Ken WON'T get it in his game, and even if he does, there's no guarantee that he gets it right. Just seems like something I'd avoid completely if I were on the writing team. (Unless they WANT Ken to win...commence fake mustache twirling and evil laugh.)
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

What a great game! I think this was the best game all week (maybe Roger Craig's would come in second, IMO). With (at least) two of the other matches this week being blowouts, this was a really great nailbiter.

I was so glad to see both Chuck and Colby advance! I hadn't seen Mark as much, but he really seems likeable as well as knowledgeable, so I was hoping all 3 would advance. Too bad THAT didn't work out.

I hope the matches next week are this good.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

esrever wrote:Good game, although the players had a dozen non-DD clues that none of them answered correctly.

Picked up Lach trash: "vampire", "harpoon", "female singer", "lip", "madrigals"

Didn't get FJ.
There was a shocking amount of Lach Trash in this match, which is crazy because—apart from FJ, which I very stupidly blanked on—I thought the J and DJ boards were no more difficult than what you'd find in a Teen Tournament.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

What the hell do vampires have to do with Slavs? That was a stupid clue.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

How finnicky are they on pronunciation? I answered with "Soleil Moon Frye," but I pronounced the "L." I'd say it's close enough to be unambiguous and warrant a correct answer, but if not, I've learned my lesson - answer as vaguely as you can get away with.

Also, fun fact, BJ Novak went to the same high school as me - so of course I got that TS. He did a book reading there a couple weeks ago, my brother and I went. Very funny stuff, he's a funny guy.

How do they determine the matchups for the semifinals? Are they random? I can't be the only one who's champing at the bit for a finale between the three Jeopardy juggernauts, and I'd be real disappointed if they didn't all go on separate shows.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

Wheatley wrote:How finnicky are they on pronunciation? I answered with "Soleil Moon Frye," but I pronounced the "L." I'd say it's close enough to be unambiguous and warrant a correct answer, but if not, I've learned my lesson - answer as vaguely as you can get away with.
Yep -- just say the last name, and if it's not enough, Alex will give you a BMS. Better that than get negged for a poor pronunciation or incorrect given name.

I knew BJ Novak, too -- big Office fan here. Lots of gettable clues all over the board, actually.

The next round matchups are determined by the producers, and they want the same outcome that you do -- a big ratings finals with the heaviest hitters they can get. (You can see the matchups in the spoiler thread, if you're interested...)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

As expected, this was another barn burner of a match. Chuck was providing a good demonstration of the Forrest bounce, as were his opponents at times. I had expected Colby to be a bit more dominant on the buzzer, but I thought that all 3 had some good gets. Lots of Lach trash for me in the Holmes cat: it didn't seem like any of them were Holmes aficionados such as I. FJ, though, was downright evil. I struggled with coming up with anything to say (having fixated on well-known movies for the 2011 premiere) and eventually put down Alice in Wonderland, knowing full well that 1830 was too early. Dear wife said Jane Eyre, which made more sense in certain regards. I can't wait to see next week's matches, which should be offscale excellent.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

econgator wrote:
UniquePerspective wrote:I was stuck on Hunger Games even though the first movie didn't come out in 2011 I believe.
More importantly, it wasn't written in the 1800's. ;)
Well, thats a reasonably good name for a book about the potato famine.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Wheatley wrote:How finnicky are they on pronunciation? I answered with "Soleil Moon Frye," but I pronounced the "L." I'd say it's close enough to be unambiguous and warrant a correct answer, but if not, I've learned my lesson - answer as vaguely as you can get away with.
The rule is that if a word can reasonably be pronounced according to a given spelling, it's acceptable. The corollary is that in FJ, if a word can reasonably be spelled according to a given pronunciation, it's also acceptable.

So yeah, pronouncing Soleil "sole ale" is OK for J!
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

BADuBois wrote:What a fun game, seeing three guys at the very best level of playing "Jeopardy!" battle it out. So looking forward to next week.
ihavejeoprosy wrote:That was one of the best FJ clues in recent memory. I got it wrong but give the writers props for coming up with it.
Agreed. I puzzled and thought about it and puzzled some more, and nothing came to mind. And when FJ was revealed, I thought, damn, that was a good trivia question. And even then, I was surprised it was a TS.
I was thinking about movies and literature. Didnt even strike me to go towards broadway.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Considering that no one thought anything about a legal category as a FJ in Dan's game, I don't see why people should have gotten so exercised if Ken had gotten the Book of Mormon FJ in his game.
Spoiler
Not that FJ mattered in Ken's game anyway.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DHicton wrote:
The rule is that if a word can reasonably be pronounced according to a given spelling, it's acceptable. The corollary is that in FJ, if a word can reasonably be spelled according to a given pronunciation, it's also acceptable.

So yeah, pronouncing Soleil "sole ale" is OK for J!
Of course, the French will scorn and mock you and maybe launch a cow in your direction.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Also, I forget who commented about not giving a geography clue in Ken's game because he is so good at geography, but come on--a number of the remaining contestants are very good at geography. For example, Chuck Forrest.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.