Friday, May 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Friday, May 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by reddpen »

gnash wrote:The only guess I could come up with for FJ was 32 years off for the book and 21 months off for a derivative work. Les Misérables.
That was my guess too, though I managed to misspell it by reversing the first two vowels. (Maggie/Glenn/Robert/Corina, please put me on before the dementia worsens.) I did pull out the Dick [mm, that just reads wrong] Van Patten DD by remembering the show he was on and doing the math. Other trash pickups: punk and vampire. Clams that I ought to have pulled include vicuna, pashmina, Reichenbach Falls and maybe Soleil Moon Frye -- all I could remember (besides Mayim Bialik's name) was that after she grew up, people called her Punky Boobster.

What a terrific game. I hope next week's are this competitive. Also, I think folks here are overlooking Roger a bit. While it's true that Brad and Ken both had dominating wins this week, neither of them faced Leszek. Brad has also seen firsthand (TCONA 2012) what Roger (and Austin, for that matter) can do onstage surrounded by some of the finest minds in American trivia.
In and out of the pool four times
darkgreenblue
Contributor

Post by darkgreenblue »

georgespelvin wrote:Quite honestly, the only two players that would have made this perfect had they made it would have been Frank Spangenberg and Jerome Vered, although they did have their chance.

Except that Jerome gave off a very negative vibe in his game, almost like he didn't want to be there. I'm sure that's not true, but he was having a tough game, missing DDs, etc., and it took its toll.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

darkgreenblue wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:Quite honestly, the only two players that would have made this perfect had they made it would have been Frank Spangenberg and Jerome Vered, although they did have their chance.

Except that Jerome gave off a very negative vibe in his game, almost like he didn't want to be there. I'm sure that's not true, but he was having a tough game, missing DDs, etc., and it took its toll.
Compare Jerome's demeanor with his appearance in any other game (I suggest the finals of the UToC but any Jerome game will do - maybe see which one is on Crackle), you'll see that's his demeanor always when he's playing. Doesn't mean he didn't want to be there any more than it means Colby is actually cocky from his demeanor. (And of course Jerome himself is a boardie and has posted here about how he enjoyed his experience)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Had Chuck bet to cover Mark, he finishes one dollar below Rachael in the wild card standings. That would have been a tough way to go out. (Ignoring for a moment the other player's scores).

Everyone made a big deal about Watson being a category in Ken's game. It was just a joke. There is no reason to expect he'd know more about famous people named Watson than anyone else.

As I expected, we had a close game. I predicted they'd all be in the $10-$12,000 range and I wasn't far off. Gutsy wagering by all three going small in FJ wagering in contrast to the others this week in that spot.

No chance on FJ. But since we all seemed to just name a random book of that era. I get the prize for coming closest to the date. The hunchback of Notre Dame was published January 14, 1831. So I was just two weeks off on that end.

Was the B in Mark's second response the start of the correct work? If he finishes it, we have the 3/3/3 semifinal split we all wanted.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hscer wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:1830, 2011, same name, book. Book of Mormon. How in God's name did I instaget that? And a TS in this tournament no less?!?! I think I had the Book of Mormon on the brain since I recently stayed at a Marriott and was tickled to see one in the desk alongside the Gideon Bible.
Wait, what? WHAT?
HE SAID HE STAYED AT THE MARRIOTT.
karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner »

darkgreenblue wrote: Heh. When did you bail? Sometime in the third series, I would guess? (I know some fans felt insulted by the opening fake-out, revealed as Anderson's wacky theories, but I loved that stuff. The stupid Magnussen case drove me up the wall, though. Photographic memory is all you need to be a supervillain! Still, some excellent scenes in that ep, of course.)
I loved the fake-out too! I hated the Magnussen case and the Mary Morstan turnout. And I don’t recall Sherlock having a single moment of brilliance the whole season. I guess I prefer a detective show than a melodramatic show about a detective (shrug).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
hscer wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:1830, 2011, same name, book. Book of Mormon. How in God's name did I instaget that? And a TS in this tournament no less?!?! I think I had the Book of Mormon on the brain since I recently stayed at a Marriott and was tickled to see one in the desk alongside the Gideon Bible.
Wait, what? WHAT?
HE SAID HE STAYED AT THE MARRIOTT.
The founder of Marriott was a Mormon. Not surprising the Book of Mormon would be in their hotels.
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by El Jefe »

floridagator wrote:The contestants today missed a lot of fairly easy clues. I couldn't believe Montreal was a $2000 clue and still no one got it correct.
I'm about 80 miles from the Montreal airport, have lived in Vermont 25+ years, and have never heard it referred to as "Montreal Island." Most of us who have visited know Montreal is on an island, but to which island their airport is on!? Maybe I'm just too busy giggling like a schoolboy about nearby Ile de Soeurs. I think the responses here testify to the difficulty of the question.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Don't get TOO excited...did he say he wrote it down?!?!?
I never write down. If I say it out loud, it counts.
So is the deal that you're watching this with other people and you're afraid of giving incorrect responses in front of them, to the point of clamming on your only idea when you're not sure of it?
I usually watch it by myself or with my mom. She doesn't care if I get it wrong, nor do I care if I say a wrong answer in front of her. I clam on FJ! even if I'm watching solo, as was the case on Thursday. Some of it is contingent on my confidence in the rest of the game.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

dhkendall wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:Time to see the J!Board Doctor.
Her office is just down the hall, second door on the right. Can't miss it, thers a logo of two snakes entwined around a pitchfork on the door.
Really, a hall and multiple doors in a sod hut. And I think Dr. J is not included in my insurance coverage.
OCSam
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

darkgreenblue wrote:

Oh...
He VERY MUCH wanted to be there. We left the hotel at 7 PM. The day went very long. I don't think we started tape on the last show until nearly 5pm. We were all tired. I guessed too much. Four guesses left alone ... Am ahead of tom. Ah well. Sorry to seem negative.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

If they wanted a real $2000 question, Quebec's 3rd largest city, Laval, is also on an island. For whom is that island named?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Sage on the Hudson

In missing FJ, fail to feel like a Moron I.

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

teapot37 wrote:That was a deliciously evil FJ. Somehow I don't think of the Book of Mormon as, well, a book, and I was searching for a movie to glom onto. (Musicals never entered my mind.)
A book it may be, but the clue more than suggested that the work in question was a piece of literature, and not a religious tract.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Great game, as expected. Chuck is an impressive player, and I was glad to see he didn't use his typical FJ strategy of betting the farm.

I haven't seen any spoilers, but I am going to assume they will keep Brad, Ken, and Roger apart. I am also going to assume that they will keep Pam away from Brad and Ken, so Roger will have to deal with that Jeopardy beast. Beyond that, i guess they will keep Ken and Tom separated to avoid the rematches. Very tough to call, but that Roger/Pam/???? match could be historical if they matched those 2 up...would they throw Colby into that mix? I guess I shall see....I like to be surprised so I am not even going to look...
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Semifinal match-ups are up!
Spoiler
Monday: Chuck Forrest vs. Ken Jennings vs. Russ Schumacher
Tuesday: Tom Cubbage vs. Leszek Pawlowicz vs. Brad Rutter
Wednesday: Colby Burnett vs. Roger Craig vs. Pam Mueller
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

floridagator wrote:If they wanted a real $2000 question, Quebec's 3rd largest city, Laval, is also on an island. For whom is that island named?
Dr. Norman Island? (He's the guy from that famous John Donne quote. Also the guy who poked out the Cyclops' eye.)
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

gnash wrote:The only guess I could come up with for FJ was 32 years off for the book and 21 months off for a derivative work. Les Misérables.
I started with Les Miz (even knowing, from the time frame of that story, that 1830 was far too early) and spent the rest of the time running throught the titles of recent high-profile movies and TV series. Alas, never thought of Broadway -- and I've SEEN Book of Mormon!

Was hoping Mark could get through so that all four of the Decades quarterfinalists I've met (along with Brad and Pam from our ToC and Russ from TRASHionals) would have reached the semis.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Terrific FJ clue! I didn't come up with anything, but I agree that Grey's Anatomy was a really good guess. I was trying to think of TV series and movies.

So glad Pam is advancing. I wish Dan had moved on, but otherwise I'm really happy with the quarterfinals. This will be a very exciting week!
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

postby dhkendall » Fri May 09, 2014 5:05 pm

I'm wondering if my response for the $600 clue in "Sounds Like A Letter" would count: I said (a homophone of) "A", the answer was pronounced as a homophone of "I". Now first off, I'm not 100% sure if I was answering "aye" or not, but I argue that "aye" can be pronounced as a homophone of "A". Something that might count against me though is that "A" was used later in the $400 clue (Fonzie's utterance), so they might be less likely to count it on another clue in the same category. I'm counting it on the fact that "aye" can be pronounced "A", but what do the rest of y'all think?
When "aye" is pronounced as a homophone of "A", it does not mean "yes" -- it means "always" *. So a response of "A" would not fit the "parliamentary affirmative" part of the clue.

*This factoid brought to you by the letters G (for Gilbert) and S (for Sullivan).
Teems with quiet fun.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Dr. J wrote:Look, I'm not trying to insinuate that the writers wrote anything with Ken specifically in mind or to help him; Ken doesn't need any help (or any stinking badges, probably). But I also have no doubt that they fully expected that both Ken and Brad would go deep in this tournament and knew this as they wrote. That knowledge may or may not have changed the way they approached the clues -- they may have tried harder to NOT include stuff that was in either of their wheelhouses, for example -- but they knew those two would be playing, which IS different than regular J! play. Hence Watson categories. I'm fine with that, actually; it's part of the history of the show, and there were enough fierce competitors in this Tourney that neither Ken nor Brad should have had an advantage from a knowledge standpoint.

There was a narrative for this tournament that TPTB had pre-crafted, and it's playing out exactly as they hoped, due in no small part by the high-quality play of the guys at the top. There's a reason they were chosen to play Watson on air, after all!
An aside notation' I think you should get rid of those stinking mustaches.