TD 142: A Touch of Classical

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

TD 142: A Touch of Classical

Post by opusthepenguin »

This is my first "Think Different" hosting. I'm very nervous about it. I've tried to craft questions that have many possible answers, but only a few that would occur to most players. I'll just have to wait for the replies to see if I overshot in one direction or the other. In retrospect, it was probably brash of me to put myself forward like this. I was just so entertained by the previous quizzes that it made me eager to try my hand. Go easy on me if this bombs.

Ok, enough cringing. On to the rules.

1. DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD! Send them to me by private message.

2. Deadline for submissions is 11:59:59 PM CST on Friday, November 11.

3. The object, as you know, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.
  • a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
    b. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) plus 5
    c. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)
4. You may DROP one question by so indicating and receive zero points for that question.

5. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain. No research! However, if, in the course of your normal activities, you happen to learn something useful between the time you read the questions and the time you submit your answers, that new knowledge is fair game. So you may find it advantageous to delay your submission. On the other hand...

6. In the event of a tie, the earlier entry gets priority. (Hat tip to Paucle for that no muss solution.)

7. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome.

8. Don't miss the BONUS possibilities detailed in questions 1, 2, and 10.

9. In this particular quiz, the following definitions will obtain. A classical composer is any composer listed at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_composers. The list stretches from 1098 to the present day, so there's plenty of ground covered. Any piece by one of those composers, and any arrangement thereof, shall be considered a classical piece.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Re: TD 142: A Touch of Classical

Post by opusthepenguin »

Think Different #142: New Quiz Maker, Classical Questions

1. NO, NOT THE SPORTING GOODS STORE - 61 possibilities
The designation may be outdated, but classical buffs can still name the "Big Five" US orchestras:
  • New York Philharmonic
    Boston Symphony Orchestra
    Chicago Symphony Orchestra
    Philadelphia Orchestra
    Cleveland Orchestra
Name someone who has had the title "Music Director" for one of those ensembles.
- The principal conductor is almost always the Music Director. If you just pick a conductor you associate with one of those orchestras, you'll be fine. Probably. Almost definitely. Don't worry about it.
- Last name only is fine
- BONUS: I'll knock 2 points off your total if you name a conductor who has been the Music Director of more than one of them, 6 points for someone who's done three.

2. BROADS, BUICKS, AND BUCKLEY? - 37 possibilities
Conductor Hans von Bülow popularized "The Three Bs" as an expression referring to three composers whose last names start with that letter. But there are many more B composers. Name a composer whose last name starts with B (even one of the three, if you like).
- BONUS: I'll knock 3 points off your score if you name a composer whose first AND last names begin with B.
- In all other cases, composers with the same last name will be scored together. E.g. Suppose three players give the hypothetically correct answers Paul Bignose, Herman Bignose, and Brenda Bignose. No one else uses a Bignose as their answer. Two players will receive a score of +2 for answering "Bignose." But the player who voted for Brenda Bignose will score a singleton (+1) from which 3 points will be deducted for a score of -2.

3. HE'S GOT A FEVER, AND THE ONLY PRESCRIPTION IS ... A BIGGER ORCHESTRA - 34 possibilities
Gustav Mahler famously said, "The symphony must be like the world. It must embrace everything." He pursued that idea in part by writing symphonies for large orchestras, often including unusual instruments. Name one of the instruments that Mahler called for in at least one of his finished symphony scores.
- I will borrow MFalk's rule for a similar question in TD 22: "Instruments with the same name but different tuning (for instance, soprano kazoo and alto kazoo) are considered one instrument. Also, multiple parts for the same instrument--first kazoo and second kazoo--are considered one instrument."

4. THE PLURAL OF OPUS - 52 possibilities
Plenty of composers wrote an opera or two, but let's set them aside. Others were more prolific, but only a handful of their operas--5 or fewer--have remained in the basic repertoire. Let's rule them out as well. And let's also rule out Baroque operas, which seem like a different animal. That leaves perhaps 3 heavy hitters with more than 5 operas in the basic repertoire--Wagner, Verdi, and Puccini. Name an opera by one of them.
- I want composer AND opera name, please
- English translations of the opera name are acceptable
- The opera needs to have been completed by the composer. Wagner, for example, abandoned some early works without completing them.

5. SCHWARZENEGGER SAID HE'D MAKE THIS LIST SOMEDAY - more than 17 possibilities
If you say "Who is Bach?" to Alex, he'll probably tell you "Be More Specific". So be more specific. This time, first and even middle names matter. Or at least initials do. Name someone in the Bach Family, by blood or marriage, real or otherwise, who had a musical career. All Bachs with the same name will be lumped together.

6. WELL! THERE IT IS! - 27 possibilities on my short list. Many more on IMDB
Hollywood loves a biopic… but not if the subject is a classical composer. Of the few films about classical composers that have been made, only one has been particularly successful. You know which one I mean. It starred F. Murray Abraham and Tom Hulce. Name a movie that has been released in which at least one of those two has acted.

7. THE SHINING EXAMPLE - 30 possibilities
Hollywood hasn't been good to classical composers, but classical composers been barry barry good to Hollywod. There must be more than 2001 movies with classical music in their soundtracks. It shows up like clockwork (and orange you glad it does?) You'd have to keep your eyes (and ears) wide shut not to notice. Director Stanley Kubrick used classical music in many of his films. Name the composer of one such piece. And may you follow paths of glory to a singleton.
- I only need the composer's last name UNLESS there is the possibility of confusion. Give me first name too, if you're not sure.
- I don't need the name of the movie it was used in.
- I don't need the name of the piece

8. WITHOUT OUR TRADITIONS... - at least 18 possibilities
"The violin has always been a Jewish instrument," remarked one of the correct answers to this question. "I hope I'm not perceived as chauvinistic, but it's a fact of life: The greatest violinists who ever lived were Jewish." Name a famous Jewish classical violin virtuoso.
- Pay attention to the adjectives. Don't try to get cute in your search for a singleton. Aaron Weinstein is a fine violinist--a jazz violinist. Larry Fine, one of the six Three Stooges, was a good violinist, but no virtuoso. Ditto for Werner Klemperer. (But non-ditto for Colonel Klink, his best known character, who was atrocious.)
- 17 answers I will definitely accept can be found on the short list at JInfo.org. Here's the link, but remember; don't click on it until after you've sent your answers to me. http://www.jinfo.org/Violinists.html
- The JInfo list includes famous violinists whose mother and/or father was Jewish, so don't worry about losing on a technicality.
- In my sole discretion, I will accept other answers if research proves they fit the question.

9. PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION
Identify one of the composers pictured.

- Last name only is fine
- Don't forget to tell me which one you're identifying

10. ADVENTURES IN GOOD MUSIC
Follow the link to a video with numbered clips from 13 classical pieces. Give me the name of one of these pieces: http://vimeo.com/31623266
- Don't forget to tell me which one you're identifying
- Don't worry about full, formal titles. If I can tell what piece you're going for and your answer is less vague than "You know, that thing they always play in movie trailers where everybody's singing really loud", I'll give you credit. However, if you choose to identify the first clip, I need the key.
- HINT: None of these pieces is by a composer pictured in the previous question.
- BONUS: I'll knock 5 points off your score if you tell me the relationship between the composer of clip #5 and the piece being played in clip #3. No penalty for guessing.

NOTE: I tried to put the video on Youtube, but the copyright bots blocked it. I filled out Youtube's dispute form, explaining that the video falls squarely within the definition of "fair use". The video is not for profit. The clips are of insubstantial length relative to the works they excerpt. And my use of the material has zero chance of negatively affecting the market for these audio recordings. (Indeed, there's a non-zero if admittedly quite small chance of a positive effect on the market.) Youtube said they'd check with Universal and Warner and get back to me. That's the last I've heard. I'm starting to think they don't care.

Anyway, Vimeo let me upload the video and it should work. I hope. If you have trouble playing it, you have a few options: 1) You can download the video in MP4 format or in AVI format and play it with your own software. 2) You can download a zip file of 13 numbered MP3s and listen to the clips. 3) You can PM me and ask me to email you the video or the audio clips converted to a format that you specify. I may be able to accommodate you. 4) You can PM me and ask for my phone number. Then you can call me and I will hum the clips to you.

11. THIS QUIZ GOES TO 11
Each question title contains an allusion or a pun or a pop-culture reference or a bit of erudition or something along those lines. Pick one of the question numbers and tell me what the title is referring to. You don't have to go into a lot of detail. (Sometimes there isn't a lot of detail to go into.) You just have to convince me that you didn't laugh because it wasn't funny, not because you didn't get it. If I feel your answer is missing something crucial, I'll solicit more information.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Nicely done, Newb!

Post by Woof »

Good set of questions, Opus. I surprised myself by having at least one answer that I was sure of to each question in your TD. Thanks for running this!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I agree! These are TD-quality questions, and at the appropriate level.

Watch for a bit of "classical gas" (aka my answers) in the next few days ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TD 142 - List of Entrants

Here's the final and complete list. I'm about to begin the reveal, so if you don't see your name and it should be there....

1 Paucle
2 Peggles
3 MarkBarrett
4 Volante
5 ayeembored
6 hbomb1947
7 gamawire
8 debramc
9 Woof
10 Rackme32
11 Vanya
12 econgator
13 immaf
14 Spaceman Spiff
15 lasercats
16 Turd Ferguson
17 dmleach
18 billiej
19 HugoZ
20 Zee2
21 dhkendall
22 barandall800
23 oddsox
24 goforthetie
25 Samer
26 cheezguyty
27 xxaaaxx
28 RandyG
29 BigDaddyJ
30 Bamaman
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Nice questions. On #10, the vimeo page says that you need the composer name, but the question on this board only asks for the name of the work. Do you want both?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

goforthetie wrote:Nice questions. On #10, the vimeo page says that you need the composer name, but the question on this board only asks for the name of the work. Do you want both?
Just the name of the work. Thanks for catching that. I changed my mind about what I wanted after I'd uploaded the video and written the caption.
ayeembored
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ayeembored »

Great, I decide to delurk a bit more and play TDs, and here comes Classical Music! UGH! Thanks a lot! :evil:

Of course, this is one of the categories that I know is a weakness if I get the call, so I should thank you, not curse you!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

ayeembored wrote:Great, I decide to delurk a bit more and play TDs, and here comes Classical Music! UGH! Thanks a lot! :evil:

Of course, this is one of the categories that I know is a weakness if I get the call, so I should thank you, not curse you!
That's the spirit! For the next TD, you can host one on Football or Hockey or Country Music.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

Hmmm, this one really scares me. For that reason alone I should do it. I just need to ponder it awhile.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

In.

BTW, TD rules specifically state all videos must have pictures.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Kinda sad that I can only match exactly 1 of the pictures to a specific composer.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote:Kinda sad that I can only match exactly 1 of the pictures to a specific composer.
Same here. :mrgreen:

I was stoked, though, that I was able to identify 6 of the 13 pieces featured on the video (although I then had a tough time trying to guess which one would be least likely to be sheepish).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:Kinda sad that I can only match exactly 1 of the pictures to a specific composer.
Really? I'd've thought two were obvious...

(Incidentally, I could only do two myself :D )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:

With a gun to my head, I'd venture a guess on a second one (and looking it up, I see I would still be alive -- don't worry, I've already submitted my answers).
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Vanya wrote:In.

BTW, TD rules specifically state all videos must have pictures.
Uh oh. Did I break a rule? Were the pictures of numbers enough? ;)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:
With a gun to my head, I'd venture a guess on a second one (and looking it up, I see I would still be alive -- don't worry, I've already submitted my answers).
After years of stocking the classical section at Strawberries Music, I thought I'd've been able to name more but then again, very few classical album titles show the composer on the LP cover! But I could do 6 for sure, and guessed on 5 others, 4 of which were right.
lasercats
Contributor

Post by lasercats »

Thank you so much for this TD! It's awesome and I am having a great time racking my brain (and trying to remember my first two years of college) to come up with answers.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

lasercats wrote:Thank you so much for this TD! It's awesome and I am having a great time racking my brain (and trying to remember my first two years of college) to come up with answers.
Hmmmm. Not remembering your first two years of college suggests you were doing it right. But if what you can't remember involves facts about classical music, I'm not so sure. :P
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I took music appreciation in college. The only thing I remember is the instructor was kinda hot.