Wednesday, May 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6838, 2014-05-14

Battle of the Decades semifinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Colby Burnett, an AP world history teacher from Chicago, Illinois
Pam Mueller, a graduate student in psychology from Princeton, New Jersey
Roger Craig, a data scientist from Brooklyn, New York

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you so much for tuning us in today. I'd like to start this, uh, third semi-final match with a prediction. As you all know, Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter are waiting in the wings to come back tomorrow to begin the 2-day final match for $1 million. I predict that the third player, their opponent, will not be... IBM's Watson.

[Laughter]

Alex: But it will be Colby, Pam, or Roger. And I wish all three of you good luck. Here we go. What are the categories for this first round?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE CITY (3/5)
WHO'S THAT? (5/5)
BOOKS OF THE LATIN VULGATE BIBLE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
COMMON BONDS (5/5)
COLORFUL SPORTS TEAMS (5/5)
FEEL THE "RG" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Colby: 9 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Roger: 11 R, 4 W
Pam: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Colby found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Roger had $1,600, Pam had $1,200, and Colby was at $1,800. Colby made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

BOOKS OF THE LATIN VULGATE BIBLE $600: A New Testament guy:
"Jacobi"
(Colby: Who is -- what -- what is, uh... jeez.)
(Alex: Hurry.)
(Colby: Jacob?)
(Colby: [sighs] Now my boss is gonna get mad at me for that.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Roger: $1,400
Pam: $1,200
Colby: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Colby Burnett is a high school teacher from Chicago whose entire school has been very supportive of your appearances in our tournaments.

Colby: Oh --oh, definitely. So, uh, every time that --well, in Chicago, uh, the shows airs at 2:30. It's during the last period of school. And certain teachers will let students out of that last period to go watch me. Uh, the first few times I was on the show, I was not one of them, so, uh... however, when the episode ended before my period end, about 70 kids swarmed into my classroom and started screaming. And I decided to not give them all detention, so I just kinda went with it.

[Laughter]

Alex: Uh-huh. Does it, uh, help with their, uh, marks? Their grades? Do you --if they are encouraging you, do they get better grades?

Colby: I mean, they do. Uh...

[Laughter]

Colby: I mean, cor --correlation is not necessarily causation. But they're great kids.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Pam Mueller is a graduate student from New Jersey. And I understand that your mom, who is one of your biggest fans, of course, still gets nervous whenever she hears the Jeopardy! Think! music. Is that true?

Pam: Yeah, yeah. Even when it's just on television, I am not on the show. Just as soon as it comes on, it's sort of like... you know, panic-inducing.

Alex: Mm-hmm. Um... does she play along at home?

Pam: Yeah. Yeah.

Alex: You usually beat her, though?

Pam: [rolling her eyes] Yeah. [laughs]

[Laughter]

Alex: Roger Craig is another Jeopardy! champion. Uh, gets recognized a fair amount of the time because of his appearances on our program. What are some of the perks of being recognized?

Roger: Uh, the perks of being recognized are you can meet someone in Union Station and they, you know, your shows have been airing, and they'll invite you to their home, where their wife will cook you a dinner. All right, I did not take them up on that request. But...

[Laughter]

Roger: Or even, um, uh, one other lady recognized me, and just because I was a Jeopardy!
champion, she invited me to a baby shower the next week.

[Laughter]

Roger: "Oh. Okay." It was very odd. I-I declined that one, too.

Alex: Not all of the Jeopardy! viewers are regular-type folks, if you know what I mean.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FEEL THE "RG" $400: The FTC's Bureau of Competition reviews them
(Roger: What are... air...[sighs])
[Timer sounds]
(Alex: No. Too much time.)

THE CITY $800: Pennsylvania's "Christmas City", it was founded by Moravians from central Europe in 1741
(Roger: What is King of Prussia?)

THE CITY $600: When taking "a trip to" this Utah city, be sure to stop by its tabernacle, built before Salt Lake City's
(Roger: What is Provo?)

BOOKS OF THE LATIN VULGATE BIBLE $200: "Judicum"
(Roger: What is Hebrews?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Roger: $5,200
Colby: $3,600
Pam: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE "CITY" (4/5)
THEY DID THE MATH (4/5)
ADVERBS IN SONGS (4/5)
PRESIDENTIAL FIRSTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORLD LITERATURE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE LOVELY GERMAN LANGUAGE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Roger: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W
Colby: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Pam: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Pam snagged the next Daily Double on the 1st clue. Roger had $5,200, Pam had $2,800, and Colby was at $3,600. Pam made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

WORLD LITERATURE $1200: In Ariosto's chivalric romance "Orlando Furioso", Orlando is this great king's nephew
(Pam: I have also never gotten to say this -- let's make it a True Daily Double.)
[Applause]

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Roger who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. Roger had $3,200, Pam had $6,400, and Colby was at $5,600. Roger made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,200.

PRESIDENTIAL FIRSTS $2000: He was commander-in-chief the first time the U.S. formally declared war
(Roger: I've always wanted to say this.)
(Alex: Oh!)
(Roger: Let's make it a True Daily Double.)
[Laughter and applause]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ADVERBS IN SONGS $2000: The Beatles used a trio of adverbs in the title of this song from "Revolver"
(Roger: What is... "Good Day Sunshine"?)

WORLD LITERATURE $800: Inspiring the film "Rescue Dawn" was Dieter Dengler's "Escape from" this Indochinese nation
(Roger: What is Cambodia?)

THE "CITY" $800: From the Latin, it means happiness
(Roger: What is...)
[Timer sounds]
(Roger: Oh, my gosh. Goodness.)
(Alex: What is [*]?)
(Roger: That's it. All right.)
(Alex: Thank you for agreeing with our researchers.)

THE LOVELY GERMAN LANGUAGE $2000: The "Ode to Joy" in Beethoven's 9th says,"Freude, schöner" this zwölf-letter word meaning "divine sparks"

THEY DID THE MATH $1600: In between loaves of bread, jugs of wine & thous, he came up with the first complete solution of cubic equations

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Roger: $18,000
Colby: $11,600
Pam: $7,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAMES ON THE MAP

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Roger: Wager $5,201 to cover Colby.
Colby: You have the hope of surpassing Roger if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,401 to force Roger to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Pam.
Pam: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $7,198 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Visited by Jacques Cartier in 1534, it was later renamed for Queen Victoria's father, the Duke of Kent

FINAL SCORES
Pam: $7,200 - $5,605 = $1,595 (What is Madison?) (3rd place: $25,000)
Colby: $11,600 - $7,501 = $4,099 (What is New Brunswick?) (2nd place: $25,000)
Roger: $18,000 - $5,201 = $12,799 (What is Alberta?) (Finalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Roger: $16,800, 24 R (including 1 DD), 8 W
Colby: $13,400, 16 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Pam: $5,600, 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $35,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Roger: 24/59 = .407
Colby: 16/59 = .271
Pam: 10/59 = .169
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
COMMON BONDS $800: Egos,
the economy,
an air mattress
(Roger: What are things that, uh, blow up?)
(Alex: Blow up?)
(Roger: Or get blown up.)
(Alex: Yeah, we'll accept that -- [*].)

WHO'S THAT? $200: His 1930s exploits included numerous bank robberies

WHO'S THAT? $400: This German count doesn't look like he was lighter than air

WHO'S THAT? $600: Order on the court with this different kind of Russian racketeer

WHO'S THAT? $800: This onetime Coast Guardsman was a best-selling author in the '70s

WHO'S THAT? $1000: "My Side of the Road" is a memoir by this '40s and '50s film star

COLORFUL SPORTS TEAMS $200: In 1900 Charles Comiskey relocated the St. Paul Saints & they became this baseball team
(Colby: Yes! Who are [*]?)
[Laughter]

COLORFUL SPORTS TEAMS $400: It's the NHL team whose logo is seen here

BOOKS OF THE LATIN VULGATE BIBLE $1000: There's "I Regum", First Kings, "I Samuelis", First Samuel, & "I Paralipomenon", this
[NOTE: Alex reads the "I"s as "Primus"]

ADVERBS IN SONGS $1600: This Smiths song with an adverb-filled title says, "I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar"
(Roger: What is...)
[Timer sounds]

ADVERBS IN SONGS $800: Let go & name this Katy Perry tune heard here

ADVERBS IN SONGS $400: In a Paula Abdul No. 1 hit, this adverb precedes "Your Girl"
(Colby: What's [*]?)
(Alex: Yes.)
[Laughter]

THE "CITY" $1600: An 1854 U.S.-Canada treaty was this type, saying we'll drop our customs tariffs if you will
(Colby: What's one of [*]?)

THEY DID THE MATH $1200: You can use these 2 symbols to show that Thomas Harriot's book introducing them appeared not in 1630 or 1632 but 1631
(Pam: What are...I don't know.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
James
mergers
Bethlehem
Bountiful
Judges
Charlemagne
James Madison
"Here, There And Everywhere"
Laos
felicity
Götterfunken
Omar Khayyám
Prince Edward Island
get inflated
(John) Dillinger
Zeppelin
(Maria) Sharapova
Alex Haley
(Dorothy) Lamour
the White Sox
The (St. Louis) Blues
Chronicles
"How Soon Is Now"
"Unconditionally"
"Forever"
reciprocity
greater than and less than
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Today's game is a victory for the rotund form of Kirby's Conjecture. Roger Craig bet "lavender."
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Austin Powers wrote:Today's game is a victory for the rotund form of Kirby's Conjecture. Roger Craig bet "lavender."
Is the rotund form of Kirby's Conjecture the same thing as the fat form or are you coining a new term?
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Austin Powers wrote:Today's game is a victory for the rotund form of Kirby's Conjecture. Roger Craig bet "lavender."
I still can't believe Colby got involved in a land war in Asia. And then compounded his mistake by going in against a Sicilian with death on the line. --Bob
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A tornado warning wiped out the entire first round for me. At least I got to see the end, though the round I did see was kind of bleah compared to the first two games.

While we have the dream final we were expecting, Roger's habit of ringing in and then trying to figure out the question cost him the lock and nearly the game had FJ not been a TS. Colby winning the buzzer race on Xeno made FJ competitive.

I couldn't come up with anything on FJ, said Vancouver just to have something though I knew it was wrong.

Great wagering on FJ!!!!! Roger made the cover bet and the other two both gave themselves a chance to win if they get it right.

Can't wait for the finals!!!!!!!
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Not much else to say except... this is what I've been waiting months for. This is the matchup I've been dying to see. LET'S. FREAKING. GO.

Also... YAY FOR THIS! :D
Last edited by heelsrule1988 on Wed May 14, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

YES! Roger/Brad/Ken FTW!

Roger's victory was certainly hard-fought, thus making this all the more exciting IMO.

10 in both rounds? Not bad for this tournament.

Lach Trash: Judges, Felicity.

"Never Gonna Give You Up" should've been $400 in that song category, and I'm not saying that just because I've NHO the two songs above it.

Completely lost on FJ! Even the Canada hint didn't help at all.
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by geolawyerman »

FJ was tough. I got it in the closing seconds.
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:While we have the dream final we were expecting, Roger's habit of ringing in and then trying to figure out the question cost him the lock and nearly the game had FJ not been a TS. Colby winning the buzzer race on Xeno made FJ competitive.
Yeah, Colby made it exciting there at the end. That was a spectacular game by all three (although I will say there were a few baffling TS's).

Instaget FJ.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Folks I'm going to make two lines.

O/U: 1.5 references of "Dream Final" by heelsrules.
O/U: 4.5 exclamation points by heelsrules.

EDIT: Never mind all that, he posted already. No bets to be taken.

Fun game all around, indeed it was the closest as I expected. The way the math turned out it had to come down to getting it right, and nobody did, so Roger pulled it out. A bit of a shame there wasn't much more math involved. Well done to Roger, although I'm not going to lie, I now think he is going to be a big underdog between Ken and Brad, something about Roger's performance these weeks makes me put him a bit behind Ken and Brad.

My thought with final was British and French, hence the English Channel for my crappy ass guess.
Last edited by UniquePerspective on Wed May 14, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Dreeeeaaaam final! Hooray! I was rooting for Colby because he's awesome, but at least we've got an amazing matchup coming.

Not Roger's strongest game, and I wonder if he was tired or something. You could hear him admonishing himself for most of the game.

I got FJ right with about 5 seconds to spare, after mentally wandering through most of Eastern Canada, and probably wouldn't have been able to write it down. Is PEI a common enough abbreviation that they'd accept it? Judges?
Last edited by zakharov on Wed May 14, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash: "Bethlehem", "Here, There, and Everywhere", "felicity"

Got FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

zakharov wrote:Is PEI a common enough abbreviation that they'd accept it? Judges?
Almost certainly acceptable.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I got FJ pretty quickly, through the same approach of wandering through Eastern Canada and PEI popped up after I dismissed New Brunswick.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Oh yes, and Trebek's "not all viewers are regular-type folks" comment clearly proves that he posts here. I suspect he is secretly TPH.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

UniquePerspective wrote:Folks I'm going to make two lines.

O/U: 1.5 references of "Dream Final" by heelsrules.
O/U: 4.5 exclamation points by heelsrules.

EDIT: Never mind all that, he posted already. No bets to be taken.
Oh come on. :lol:

I've been a Jeopardy fan for a decade now and this is by far the most exciting thing I've ever seen on the show. Allow me to be crazy happy about it. :P

P.S. Only one exclamation point, and it had nothing to do with the game result. Take that!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I had a better game than I did Monday or Tuesday, but it may just have been that the categories were more to my liking. Lots of wordplay. I ran Colorful Sports Teams, and went 4/5 in a large number of categories.

I'm originally from Canada, which made this FJ far easier for me. I strongly associate Cartier with the Gulf of St. Lawrence and with Canada's east coast, so it was just a matter of picking a royal place name from that part of the world. Montreal? Quebec City? The St. Lawrence River? The Gulf of St. Lawrence? New Brunswick? Nova Scotia? Newfoundland? Prince Edward Island?

I didn't know who Queen Victoria's father was, or who Prince Edward Island was named after. But I figured since Victoria was succeeded by an Edward, she might have had other close relatives named Edward. And I also figured that this probably wasn't a clue to overthink -- as long as Cartier got you to the Atlantic coast of Canada, I had a feeling it would just be the most "obvious" royal place name around Canada's east coast. I didn't waste time trying to think of, say, cities smaller than Montreal or Halifax. There are only so many Canadian place names that would appear in an FJ.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

I would've loved to have seen the wagering if Colby had more than $400 more!

Roger did enough to win this game, and we'll see if new-school strategy and wagering smarts is what it takes to beat Ken and Brad.
pamiam
Contributor

Post by pamiam »

Congratulations to Roger for prevailing in a hard-fought (and just plain HARD) game! I don’t think any of us feel that we were at our best in this match. I know that some of the clues were just coming at me as strings of words that I couldn’t wrap my head around.

Other than, you know, not having a million dollars, this tournament was amazing. I’m glad I got to “make it a true Daily Double” at least once in my Jeopardy career. I’m glad I got to run a category and get applause at least once in my Jeopardy career. I’m SO glad to have had the opportunity to hang out with Jeopardy friends, old and new.

A few other small thoughts:
I’d like to head off any comments about my very stupid FJ! guess. My mind was stuck on cities, and after drawing a blank, I figured I had to write something. If you’re going to espouse the “never leave it blank” theory, you can’t then think that something was too stupid to write down. I’m not playing the “what if” game (see below), but in retrospect, that was totally gettable (her dad’s not King; ergo, he is a prince….) Starting there would have been far more effective.

Who knows the lyrics to Ode to Joy in German? Ugh.

I thought they were looking for a place like Frankenmuth, MI, when they were talking about a “Christmas City.”

A few big picture thoughts:
What I learned and managed to internalize from the UToC:
When it’s over, do not play the “what if” game. There are lots of ways I could play it this time around, but no matter how you play, you lose. All retroactive counterfactuals can do is make you miserable. It was noted that I seemed to be doing a lot better after losing this time than I was at the end of the UToC semifinal. I think that this is due to my unwillingness to dwell on “what might have been.”

I would have liked the opportunity to play Brad and Ken in the finals (Just one correct FJ! answer away, twice now!), and I think I would have acquitted myself well (there may be some evidence of this, as they had all of the contestants write down our own answers on cards during the finals FJs – not sure what they’re going to do with the video of that). But it was definitely Roger’s game this time around, and I'm OK with that. (and congratulations, again!)

In fact, the only thing I feel bad about is letting down the people who hoped I’d do better. So – sorry, guys. Next time. Hopefully, there'll be some sort of Alex Trebek Farewell Tour(nament) and I’ll have learned my other lesson (see below)--and some more geography (yikes!)--by then.

What I learned and did NOT manage to internalize from the UToC:
Confidence is imperative. While studying might help you be more confident (at least in some cases), all the studying in the world won’t do you good if you don’t believe that you can win. And despite me telling anyone/everyone that I knew this was my biggest problem, and that I was fixing it, in the hopes of creating some accountability, it didn’t work. It’s hard to lie to yourself! Stuart Smalley-esque self-affirmations, like saying “I AM confident!” are not very effective. This isn’t false modesty – it’s a destructive way of thinking that is really detrimental (see previously-linked Atlantic article for some examples).

Lastly, thanks to all who have said such nice things on here about me – it means a lot (probably more than it should; it’s dangerous putting any stock in what people say about you on the Internet ☺ )

WAY TL; DR: congrats, Roger!, this was a lot of fun, sorry for disappointing anyone, I’ll keep working on confidence, thanks to my cheering squad, and I’ve got an atlas on my bedside table.