Thursday, May 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, May 29, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Fun fact: if you cut off the top of a pineapple and replant it to grow a new bottom, when you harvest it, you'll find a small sponge and snail living inside it.
Damn, beat to the punch on that joke.
I don't get it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DHicton wrote:
debramc wrote:I love these horticulture FJs!! Bring 'em on. I'd much rather have whole categories of any kind of biology than almost anything presidential.
"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

… speaking of Dorothy Parker quotes.

Also, it was neat how one of the presidential nominee responses was "Dole", and FJ was "pineapple".
Also how they asked for Harvard's city in J...then had a whole category spoiling it in DJ.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Fun fact: if you cut off the top of a pineapple and replant it to grow a new bottom, when you harvest it, you'll find a small sponge and snail living inside it.
I don't get it.
Hint: He lives in a pineapple under the sea ...
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I don't get it.
Absorbent and porous and yellow is he....
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I don't get it.
Absorbent and porous and yellow is he....
If nautical nonsense be somethin' you wish.....

Kirk! don't feel bad, I considered myself somewhat clever and couldn't for the life of me see what the hell she was getting at. :oops:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

debramc wrote:
mrsal67 wrote:Agree with others that if you ever saw a bromeliad, then you would instantly get pineapple.

Anyone else confused by the eye socket/orbit clue? It said something like "...fluid filling the eye socket, also know as this..." .
I was confused just like Matt because I thought they were asking for the name of the fluid, not the name of the eye socket.
Any english majors out there that can comment on the phrasing of the clue? Is it grammatically correct?
I thought I heard "... fat around the eyeball..." So I thought they were asking for the name of whatever fat is around the eyeball (which, as far as I know, is called, you know, fat...). I must have misheard since you and Matt apparently heard fluid. In any case, yes I think the wording was misleading if all they really wanted to say was "This is the fancier name for eye socket." I haven't double-checked the actual wording though.
I'm pretty sure that the actual wording was "fatty deposits around the eyeball," which ruled out the humors for me (aqueous and vitreous) but left me with nothing, so I grudgingly stayed clam. On reveal, my reaction was "the orbit is the eye socket bone, isn't it?" (it turns out that it's both)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sherm wrote:Kirk! don't feel bad, I considered myself somewhat clever and couldn't for the life of me see what the hell she was getting at. :oops:
Sponge Bob. Got it. I know of the show's existence, but have never actually seen it.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Sherm wrote:Kirk! don't feel bad, I considered myself somewhat clever and couldn't for the life of me see what the hell she was getting at. :oops:
Sponge Bob. Got it. I know of the show's existence, but have never actually seen it.
Wish I could say the same, Kirk -- it seems like it's been on a never-ending loop in my home since 2007.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Dr. J wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wish I could say the same, Kirk -- it seems like it's been on a never-ending loop in my home since 2007.
You don't have kids, do you, Dr. J?

(I'll admit, my kids watch more SpongeBob than I do, and were the first ones to watch in the house, but I often watch with them, and have been known to tune in quite often when I'm looking for something to watch, and enjoy it.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
fowlerism

Post by fowlerism »

I over-thought FJ, guessing that the word derived from the Greek "bromos," meaning "stench." I therefore went with "durian," which is both stinky and commercially important (at least in some parts of the world).
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

dhkendall wrote: You don't have kids, do you, Dr. J?
Two delightful stepsons. The youngest still has Spongebob sheets at age 12 and has been Spongebob twice for Halloween. Whenever I need to reference a break in time, I find myself saying in a bad French accent, "Two Hours Later..."
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dhkendall wrote:
Dr. J wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
You don't have kids, do you, Dr. J?

(I'll admit, my kids watch more SpongeBob than I do, and were the first ones to watch in the house, but I often watch with them, and have been known to tune in quite often when I'm looking for something to watch, and enjoy it.)
Duuuuuude, I have a Sponge Bob beach towel that the lovely Mrs. Spiff bought me a few years ago. (Although I think it was primarily to replace a fading Powerpuff Girls beach towels that she was always embarrassed to be seen in public with...)
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Dr. J wrote:
Two delightful stepsons. The youngest still has Spongebob sheets at age 12 and has been Spongebob twice for Halloween. Whenever I need to reference a break in time, I find myself saying in a bad French accent, "Two Hours Later..."
My son once went as Zombie SpongeBob for Halloween. We bought a SpongeBob costume, gave it bloodshot eyes, colored the sponge a sickly greenish-brown, and gave it fangs.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Dr. J wrote:
My sympathies. Our son (now 9) went through a brief Spongebob phase, but thankfully outgrew it within a year or less. My wife and I used to joke that our brains would run out of our ears if we had to listen to it any more than we did. More horrifically, his now-13 cousin still watches the damn show on a regular basis. (NB: the cousin also introduced our son to even worse shows such as The Amazing World of Gumball, 15 minutes of which feels like the equivalent of a lobotomy)
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

Woof wrote:
Dr. J wrote:
My sympathies. Our son (now 9) went through a brief Spongebob phase, but thankfully outgrew it within a year or less. My wife and I used to joke that our brains would run out of our ears if we had to listen to it any more than we did. More horrifically, his now-13 cousin still watches the damn show on a regular basis. (NB: the cousin also introduced our son to even worse shows such as The Amazing World of Gumball, 15 minutes of which feels like the equivalent of a lobotomy)
Both boys now really love The Regular Show (and we like it, too), but the youngest one still has trouble going to sleep and has a DVD player with Spongebob on it that he plays at night, thankfully with the sound off. Could be worse...Tweety Bird and Sylvester are not on the list.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Woof wrote: More horrifically, his now-13 cousin still watches the damn show on a regular basis. (NB: the cousin also introduced our son to even worse shows such as The Amazing World of Gumball, 15 minutes of which feels like the equivalent of a lobotomy)
I had classmates in high school who still watched Spongebob. Yeah.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

opusthepenguin wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:(Sorry guys, but this is one of those "butt frustrated" moments for me)

Seriously...it's aggravating at a point. It's like a ton of bricks fell on the men, AGAIN. :roll:
I know, buddy. Come here. Let me hold you and whisper that you're still special and that superiority is your chromosomal birthright. We'll get through this.
We need MTGcollegestudent as a counter-balance to Arthur Chu.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My 16 year old son admits to still watching Spongebob. I think the show is funny, but my wife hates it.
MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Vanya wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:(Sorry guys, but this is one of those "butt frustrated" moments for me)

Seriously...it's aggravating at a point. It's like a ton of bricks fell on the men, AGAIN. :roll:
I know, buddy. Come here. Let me hold you and whisper that you're still special and that superiority is your chromosomal birthright. We'll get through this.
We need MTGcollegestudent as a counter-balance to Arthur Chu.
What's that supposed to mean?! :?
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Vanya wrote:We need MTGcollegestudent as a counter-balance to Arthur Chu.
What's that supposed to mean?! :?
I think it's supposed to mean "We need MTGcollegestudent as a counter-balance to Arthur Chu."

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.