Friday, May 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6850, 2014-05-30

Julia Collins game 20.

CONTESTANTS
Wendy Hardenberg, a university librarian from New Haven, Connecticut
Sami Siegelbaum, a professor of art history from Chicago, Illinois
Julia Collins, a supply chain professional from Kenilworth, Illinois (whose 19-day cash winnings total $410,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: I don't know what to talk about in the conversation segment. Something will come to me, or she'll question me. Sami and Wendy, good to have you aboard. Good luck to all three of you. Let's have some fun. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And here come the categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE ANIMAL IN THE LOGO (5/5)
POKER (4/5)
TALK CLEANLY TO ME (4/5)
SINGLE-NAMED SINGERS' HITS (5/5)
THE ROARING '20s (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE RODIN MUSEUM (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 14 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Sami: 8 R, 1 W
Wendy: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Julia: $4,600
Sami: $2,400
Wendy: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Quite often during commercial breaks, people in our studio audience ask me, "How many languages do you speak?" I'm going to ask Wendy Hardenberg that same question. How many languages do you speak?

Wendy: Um, five, to varying degrees. [Chuckles]

Alex: You're a translator sometimes, right?

Wendy: Yep. Um, I'm--my kind of--I guess it's a side career is as a--as a literary translator.

Alex: It's a marvelous side career. What are the languages?

Wendy: Um, French is my best one, German's pretty good, Hindi is not so great, and Italian is basic. [Chuckles]

Alex: Okay, all right.

Alex: Um, Sam [sic] Siegelbaum from Chicago, a professor of art history who lived in Paris for a while. That sounds exciting. What were you doing there?

Sami: I was doing dissertation research there. I basically tailored my dissertation topic to be able to live in Paris for a year.

Alex: Wh--what would be a hidden gem in Paris that you might recommend?

Sami: Well, actually, the Rodin Museum is wonderful, so...

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Now we come to Julia Collins. What do you want to talk about, champ? [Chuckles]

Julia: Oh, boy... [Laughs]

Alex: All right, I thought of something, because I was informed that in high school the mascot of the school sports teams was...

Julia: Was a snail.

Alex: A snail?

Julia: So our cheer was, "Go, go, escargot!"

[Laughter]

[Julia laughs; Alex laughs.]

Alex: We're moving on, folks. Pick up that signaling device.

Julia: All right.

Alex: Go, go, escargot, lady!

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Julia had $6,800, Sami had $2,400, and Wendy had a deficit with -$600. Julia wagered $1,800.

THE ROARING '20s $1000: In May 1926 President Coolidge sent U.S. marines into this nation to quell an uprising led by General Augusto Sandino
(Julia: What is Cuba?)
(Alex: No. What is [*]? Where the Sandinistas held sway for a while.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE ROARING '20s $600: In 1929 this film about 2 WWI fighter pilots in love with the same girl won the first Best Picture Oscar
(Alex: Great silent film
called [*].)

TALK CLEANLY TO ME $600: Free from defects, or a playoff game-winning "reception" in 1972
(Alex: Reception made by Franco Harris of the Pittsburgh Steelers, the [*] reception.)

POKER $400: If players before you make a bet, you must call or raise to stay in; if they don't you can stay in by doing this
(Julia: What is hold?)
[Alex knocks twice on his lectern as he gives the correct response.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Julia: $6,800
Sami: $3,600
Wendy: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A REAL MAC DADDY (3/4)
POETIC LINES (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Next, we'll give you the [*], you identify the poem for us.)
THE 28 COUNTRIES OF NATO (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DESCRIBING THE TV CAST (4/5)
TWO OF A KIND (5/5)
WHAT A "CO"-INCIDENCE (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will end in those two letters--"C-O".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Wendy: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Julia: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Sami: 6 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sami snagged the next Daily Double on the 21st clue. Julia had $14,400, Sami had $4,400, and Wendy was at $7,000. Sami wagered $2,500.

THE 28 COUNTRIES OF NATO $2000: The one that's 99% Muslim

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Julia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Julia had $15,600, Sami had $8,100, and Wendy was at $7,000. Julia wagered $2,400.

POETIC LINES $800: "10,000 eyes were on him as he rubbed his hands with dirt; 5,000 tongues applauded when he wiped them on his shirt"
(Alex: [Before Julia's wager] Less than a minute to go, now.)
(Alex: Julia?)
(Julia: I don't know. [Laughs])
(Alex: Mighty Casey has struck out. [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT A "CO"-INCIDENCE $2000: Undomesticated Andes denizen seen here

DESCRIBING THE TV CAST $2000: A recently emancipated slave,
a man thrown off the board of Union Pacific

THE 28 COUNTRIES OF NATO $1200: One of the smallest, this country is home to the main NATO headquarters
(Alex: It's outside of Brussels in [*].)

THE 28 COUNTRIES OF NATO $1600: The 2 island countries that are members

A REAL MAC DADDY $1600: PM of Great Britain from 1957 to 1963, this father of 4 was nicknamed both "Supermac" & "Mac the Knife"
[Alex reads "PM" as "Prime Minister".]

POETIC LINES $1600: "Thou wast not born for death, immortal bird!... the voice I hear this passing night was heard in ancient days"
(Julie: What is The Rime of the Ancient Mariner?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Julia: $11,600
Wendy: $9,000
Sami: $8,100

PREFINAL REMARKS
(Before the first break, Alex Trebek delivers a Footnote about The Gates of Hell from the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia.)
Alex: A small version of The Thinker sits atop The Gates of Hell. Originally it was to be Dante pondering his work, but then Rodin decided an anonymous figure might be better, thinking not only with his brain, but with every muscle of his body.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY POLITICS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Julia: Wager $6,401 to cover Wendy.
Wendy: You ought to wager to cover Sami, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $9,000. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $7,200 (to shut out Sami) or less than $3,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Sami). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Julia.
Sami: Consider risking between $901 and $2,900. This will top a $0 wager by Wendy while still beating Julia on the Triple Stumper (should Julia wager to cover Wendy's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A Senate seat from this Southern state sat vacant for 4 years; when it was filled, its ex-occupant had become U.S. president

FINAL SCORES
Sami: $8,100 - $7,000 = $1,100 (What is Te) (3rd place)
Wendy: $9,000 + $7,201 = $16,201 (What is Tennessee?) (2nd place)
Julia: $11,600 + $6,500 = $18,100 (What is Tennessee?) (410001-day champion: $18,100)
(Alex: You're now a 20-game winner, in second place, $428,100!)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Julia: $15,800, 21 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Wendy: $9,000, 12 R, 2 W
Sami: $7,600, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $32,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Julia: 22/60 = .367
Sami: 14/59 = .237
Wendy: 13/58 = .224
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE RODIN MUSEUM $200: (Alex delivers the clue from the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia.) For 37 years, Rodin worked on "The Gates of Hell", adding & removing figures; the subject matter of the doors is based on this epic poem by Dante

THE RODIN MUSEUM $400: (Alex delivers the clue from the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia.) The original marble is in the Paris Rodin museum; the Philadelphia Rodin Museum has a replica, made after Rodin's death, of this iconic sculpture in which a pair of lovers embrace

THE RODIN MUSEUM $600: (Alex delivers the clue from the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia.) Rodin was so successful at authentically sculpting the human body that he was accused of using molds from a live model in the piece known as "The Age of" this--also the material from which the statue was cast

THE RODIN MUSEUM $800: (Alex delivers the clue from the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia.) In 1347 the English king Edward III agreed to lift an almost year-long siege of a French port city if 6 townsmen would sacrifice themselves; in this sculpture, Rodin shows the emotion of each of the men as they trudge to their death

THE RODIN MUSEUM $1000: (Alex delivers the clue from the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia.) Medusa on the breastplate & an owl on the helmet help identify this highly polished marble sculpture as this Roman goddess
(Wendy: Who is Athena?)

SINGLE-NAMED SINGERS' HITS $1000: He shares his name with a brand of boxing gloves

"God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes /
'Cause then you really
might know..."

THE ROARING '20s $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew points to a map on the monitor.) In 1927 it took Charles Lindbergh 33-1/2 hours to fly from Long Island to this metropolis; today, it takes around 8 hours, & people don't mob you for getting there successfully

THE ANIMAL IN THE LOGO $800: Pocket Books,
a division of Simon & Schuster
(Sami: What is a butterfly?)

TALK CLEANLY TO ME $1000: It's the film editing technique in which a new scene slides sideways to replace the old one
(Alex: That's it, and you're back on the plus side with a minute to go.)

WHAT A "CO"-INCIDENCE $400: Made from sand, lime, and cement, this durable applied covering may have been used on pyramids thousands of years ago
(Sami: What is concrete?)
(Alex: Yes, each correct response will end in "C-O".)

WHAT A "CO"-INCIDENCE $1200: It's this popular Southern style of music heard here

THE 28 COUNTRIES OF NATO $400: The one with the largest population
(Wendy: What is Germany?)

TWO OF A KIND $400: Because of similarities in mass, size & density, this planet is known as "Earth's twin"
(Sami: What is Mars?)

TWO OF A KIND $1200: These twins born July 4, 1918 both became advice columnists
(Wendy: Who are Anne Landers & Dear Abby... or Abigail Van Buren and...)
(Alex: You got 'em.)
(Wendy: [Laughs] Okay.)
(Alex: You got three of them for just two people.)

POETIC LINES $400: "And before him on the upland he could see the shining wigwam of the Manito of Wampum"
(Sami: What is Hiawatha?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Sami: What is [*]?)
(Alex: That's it. That's the title.)

POETIC LINES $2000: "Let us go then, you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky like a patient etherized upon a table"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Nicaragua
Wings
immaculate
saying "check"
Turkey
"Casey at the Bat"
the guanaco
Hell on Wheels
Belgium
Iceland & the United Kingdom
Harold MacMillan
"Ode to a Nightingale"
Tennessee
The Divine Comedy (The Inferno accepted)
The Kiss
Bronze
The Burghers of Calais
Minerva
Everlast
Paris
a kangaroo
a wipe
stucco
zydeco
the United States
Venus
Anne Landers & Abigail Van Buren
"The Song of Hiawatha"
"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

19th Century Politics
A Senate seat from this southern state sat vacant for 4 years; when it was filled, its ex-occupant had become U.S. President.

Spoiler
Who is Andrew Jackson? Sami said Te.

Julia Collins: $11,600+$6,500=$18,100...now a 20-day champion with $428,100
Sami Siegelbaum: $8,100-$7,100=$1,000
Wendy Hardenberg: $9,000+$7,201=$16,201
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri May 30, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgs
Contributor

Post by tgs »

Great poker face by Julia during FJ. Wagering by her opponents - Sami, at least - not so good. Julia wins if she gets it right, but also on a triple miss.

In a way, Julia was more impressive holding strong and fighting for the win today than she has been in her lock wins. But in another, more accurate way, the locks are more impressive. Whatever the case, I'm starting to consider her the idealized form of what the armchair Jeopardy! contestant can aspire to be: she's not so dominant in any one area as to consistently demolish her opponents, like a Ken Jennings or a Roger Craig, but she has no major deficiencies in Jeopardy! canon knowledge relative to her opponents, tends not to neg and has a serious case of Blitzdaumen.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Since I'm away from home and can't watch, did Julia pass Dave Madden today?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ElendilPickle wrote:Since I'm away from home and can't watch, did Julia pass Dave Madden today?
I get the impression from tbs' post that she did, but I'll know in about 45 minutes ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
tgs
Contributor

Post by tgs »

ElendilPickle wrote:Since I'm away from home and can't watch, did Julia pass Dave Madden today?
Yes. Julia had a slim lead going into FJ but got it correct. She is a 20-day champion.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

tgs wrote:has a serious case of Blitzdaumen.
Just want to say I love this term and I really hope it catches on. (TPH: If you don't know, Google Translate is your friend.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nice win by Julia to become #2 on the wins list. She had a decent enough lead so striking out with Casey didn't hurt her.

FJ took me a bit to piece together but got it in time.

If Sami had enough time to write one n, would he have gotten credit for What is Ten? Tenn I am sure they'd take.

This (I think) was the second if her two tape days and she seemed a bit tired. Now she can rest for a week and with no job to go to (nor any real need to look for one right now) she can be refreshed as she goes for 21.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

CLUTCH.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Congrats to Julia on her 20th win!

Picked up Lach trash: "Wings", "immaculate", "Belgium", "Iceland and U.K."

Didn't get FJ
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

At the end of DJ I feared the headline would read: Mighty Julia Has Struck Out.

But then I was fairly confident she would be good with the FJ category and her poker face didn't worry me.

I think this was the first day of two day taping. Can anyone confirm?

Sami looked like a giant killer for the first few minutes but it turned out he did so well with Rodin because he had been to the museum.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

Bamaman wrote:If Sami had enough time to write one n, would he have gotten credit for What is Ten? Tenn I am sure they'd take.
What if he still only had two letters, but had gone with "TN" instead of "TE?" Glad that it didn't make a difference in the results in any case.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Jackhammer Julia does it again!

I was surprised by the size of her DD wager in DJ. Usually she is more conservative.

Alex noted that Sami might have been writing down the correct answer, but TE is also the start of Texas, another southern state.

I know Julia majored in art history, but I was surprised when she went for the Rodin category when her opponent was an art history professor. I'm not sure she calculated it, but it would probably be better to get her opponent's wheelhouse category out of the way early, especially if it contains a DD.

Altogether the three contestants today played it very conservatively. There was not much guessing at answers they didn't know.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TryingHarder
Contributor

Post by TryingHarder »

cosmos wrote:
Sami looked like a giant killer for the first few minutes but it turned out he did so well with Rodin because he had been to the museum.
I think it is more of a result of his being an art history professor :)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

cosmos wrote:Sami looked like a giant killer for the first few minutes but it turned out he did so well with Rodin because he had been to the museum.
He had been to the Rodin Museum in Paris; the video we saw was Alex at the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

cosmos wrote:I think this was the first day of two day taping. Can anyone confirm?
This tweet from Julia implies that it was indeed the first day of taping. Lach Trash on immaculate, check, Belgium, and Iceland/UK. In final, went from "southern state President" straight to Jackson, and then on to Tennessee.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

cosmos wrote:Sami looked like a giant killer for the first few minutes but it turned out he did so well with Rodin because he had been to the museum.
Being an Art History professor probably helped him in that category just as much.

I had no idea on the "Casey at the Bat" DD. Since it was in the second row I probably would have gone big on it and been burned. The Poetry category was tough for me in general.

I also didn't do well in the "NATO" category, but I did make the lucky guess on "United Kingdom and Iceland" after I briefly considered Malta.

FJ was an instant get.

Congrats to Julia on passing Madden!
tonypct
Contributor

Post by tonypct »

Congratulations Julia. She did have me worried for a minute, but only for a minute. I can't recall all her games, but I wonder if this was her closest game.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

Lach trash: "Wings", "Immaculate" (if the NFL part wasn't there, I wouldn't have known it), "Harold MacMillan"

Actually knew both of Julia's incorrect DD's (Nicaragua and Casey at the Bat- by a good guess), but despite the bragging, the money count is over 400K (and 20 days) for Julia and $0 for me. :D

Instaget FJ- knew the gap was the Civil War and knew Andrew Johnson was a senator from Tennessee.

To Julia: "Go, Go, Escargot!" (through her mental and buzzer reflexes are far from it).