Monday, June 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6851, 2014-06-02

Julia Collins game 21.

CONTESTANTS
Brian Loughnane, an investment operations manager from Scituate, Massachusetts
Debra Walsh, a retired accounting instructor from Morehead City, North Carolina
Julia Collins, a supply chain professional from Kenilworth, Illinois (whose 20-day cash winnings total $428,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen. And welcome to our show. Currently, we have a wonderfully delightful, friendly champion in Julia Collins... until she gets into a game. Then she becomes relentless. Many of her victories have been runaways, which means that by the time we get to Final Jeopardy!, she had so much money, the opponents could not catch her. But today is another day. Debra, Brian, who knows what's going to happen? Good luck to all three of you. Here we go--Jeopardy! Round. And these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EASY BEING GREEN (3/3)
WE MAKE THAT! (3/3)
HAVE A COUNTY SEAT (5/5)
HISTORIC PEOPLE IN ART (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"BABY" ON BOARD (5/5)
LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL (5/5) (Alex: And now, to mark the 75th anniversary of Little League, we have a whole category devoted to that subject.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julia: 13 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Debra: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Brian: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 4 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Julia had $1,800, Debra was in the red with -$200, and Brian was at $1,600. Julia made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

HISTORIC PEOPLE IN ART $1000: A book of psalms
from the 13th century
shows the 12th-century murder of this man

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Julia: $3,600
Brian: $1,600
Debra: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Brian Loughnane is from Massachusetts, but, originally, you're from Ireland?

Brian: That's right, Alex. I was born and raised in Ireland. Moved over here just over 20 years ago.

Alex: And is it true that the first television program you saw when you arrived here with your parents was Jeopardy!?

Brian: That is correct. It was well-signaled to me. A lot of people I knew in Ireland who had been here had seen Jeopardy!, had liked it, and felt that I would like it. And so I made a point to--I made a point to go out and--

Alex: Because you were into trivia?

Brian: Yeah, I was. And so I made a point to watch it soon as I got over here.

Alex: Okay, good.

Brian: And here I am.

Alex: Well, 20 years later, it paid off.

Alex: Debra Walsh--

Debra: Yes!

Alex: --is from North Carolina. You married the first guy who bought you a drink in a bar?

Debra: Yes, I did. It was the first time I'd ever been in a bar.

Alex: Right. That's your story, and you're sticking to it.

Debra: That's my story, yes. [Laughs]

Alex: Yeah. How long have you been married?

Debra: 39 years.

Alex: Okay, so it worked.

Debra: Yes.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Julia Collins, champion. 20 victories in a row.

How do you spend your spare time when you're not absorbing all kinds of information that will come in handy on a show like Jeopardy!?

Julia: [Chuckling] Well, I spend a lot of my spare time absorbing information. [Laughs]

Alex: Really?

Julia: I love to read. I watch a lot of television, probably more than is good for me. I like to go to museums. So, really, my hobbies are things that have helped me a lot.

Alex: You gonna use some of your money to do some traveling abroad, do you think?

Julia: I hope so. I hope so.

Alex: Visit museums over there?

Julia: Yes. I know you asked me a couple weeks ago where I'd like to go, and I should've said the Hermitage, 'cause I've never been to Russia, and that would be--would be fantastic.

Alex: Go in the winter, because then you don't have to deal with the thousands and thousands of people who are visiting the Hermitage in the summer.

Julia: That's a good tip.

Alex: The same thing applies to the Louvre, by the way.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HISTORIC PEOPLE IN ART $400: In the 1520s, this ex-priest was painted by his close friend, Lucas Cranach the Elder
(Brian: Who is the Pliny the Younger?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Julia: $9,400
Debra: $2,000
Brian: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 2, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EASY BEING GREEN (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MEMOIRS (3/5)
INDIA (4/5)
WORD ORIGINS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DIDN'T MAKE THE BILLBOARD TOP 40 (3/5)
YOU'RE A 3-LETTER ANIMAL (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brian: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Julia: 8 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Debra: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julia snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Julia had $14,200, Debra had $5,200, and Brian was at $4,600. Julia wagered $3,200.

WORD ORIGINS $1600: The Greek for "sand tray" gives us the name of this counting device
(Julia: What is a... calculator?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brian who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Julia had $9,400, Debra had $5,200, and Brian was at $8,600. Brian wagered $2,000.

EASY BEING GREEN $2000: This city's 1997 protocol limits emissions of carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide & other greenhouse gases

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
INDIA $400: Construction on this city designed by 2 British architects began in 1912 but was delayed during World War I

EASY BEING GREEN $400: The kinetic energy of this 4-letter natual phenomenon is estimated at 11 quadrillion kilowatt-hours per year

DIDN'T MAKE THE BILLBOARD TOP 40 $1600: At No. 84, "Runnin' With The Devil" by these rockers

DIDN'T MAKE THE BILLBOARD TOP 40 $2000: At No. 76, this New Wave band with "I Melt With You"

WORD ORIGINS $1200: This anglicized French word once meant "hearthside" but now refers to a lobby or entrance hall

WORD ORIGINS $2000: It once referred to a "crazy" Viking who fought with the fury of a wild beast

MEMOIRS $1600: "The Man Died" by Wole Soyinka was inspired by his years in prison in this West African country

MEMOIRS $2000: This 18th century Frenchman's "Confessions" set the template for modern autobiographies
(Julia: Who is Voltaire?)
(Alex: It's the other one, [*], not Voltaire.)

EASY BEING GREEN $1600: You can "donate & protect an acre" of tropical area at thisfoundationuk.org, a group co-founded by Sting in 1989
[In the clue as it originally appeared, "this" in the URL was all-capitalized, while the rest of the URL was not, helping distinguish between the URL and the "this".]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brian: $12,600
Julia: $11,000
Debra: $5,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: This is the first game in a long, long time in which Julia has not led going into Final.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR-WINNING WRITERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Brian: Wager $9,401 to cover Julia.
Julia: Try wagering $599, which is as much as you can put up against Brian without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Debra.
Debra: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Julia, but if Julia decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $2,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Winning for 1999, this New England writer is the last person to win an Oscar for adapting his own novel

FINAL SCORES
Debra: $5,200 - $0 = $5,200 (Who is Stephen King?) (2nd place)
Julia: $11,000 - $11,000 = $0 (Who is Chabon?) (3rd place)
Brian: $12,600 + $10,000 = $22,600 (Who is John Irving) (New champion: $22,600)
(Alex: [To Brian] [*], the author of The Cider House Rules. And he is our new champion with $22,600. Welcome to the winners' level. And we're gonna miss Julia Collins. She's going away, though, with $428,000. We'll see her again in our Tournament of Champions. Well done, young lady.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Julia: $13,400, 21 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Brian: $12,600, 14 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Debra: $5,200, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $31,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Julia: 21/60 = .350
Brian: 15/59 = .254
Debra: 10/58 = .172
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HISTORIC PEOPLE IN ART $200: In a 16th-century work, the ruler of this empire is receiving tributes
(Debra: What is the Incan Empire?)

"BABY" ON BOARD $200: This style of dress was introduced in the late 1950s as empire-waisted styles came back into vogue

EASY BEING GREEN $200: The green of this rich gemstone, harder than quartz, comes from small amounts of chromium in the crystals
(Julia: What is jade?)

HISTORIC PEOPLE IN ART $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a painting on the monitor.) The so-called Pelican Portrait was named for the bird on the brooch, a symbol of motherhood, as it was believed it fed its young with its own blood, just as this woman sacrificed for her country

"BABY" ON BOARD $1000: A fetus in position to be born butt-first, as in about 1 in 25 full-term births
(Debra: What is breech?)

HISTORIC PEOPLE IN ART $800: As well as painting
entertainers, Andy Warhol portrayed leaders, like this man

LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL $600: In adult baseball, this is 90'; in Little League, it's 60'
(Brian: What's the distance from the mound to the plate?)

LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue on a monitor.) Carl Stotz was inspired to found Little League in 1939 after he stumbled into a bush
while playing backyard baseball with his nephews in this town that, despite its name, is more than 100 miles inland

LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL $1000: "A--pint--sized--Hercules--wielding--a--mighty--club" was perhaps heard in his broadcast debut, for a 1953 Little League game
(Alex: Oh, my gosh. I did it well enough for you to pick up on that. I'm surprised and pleased. Go again.)
(Debra: You gave it away.)

HAVE A COUNTY SEAT $600: Check out some bridges of Madison County near its county seat of Winterset in this state
(Brian: What is Wisconsin?)

HAVE A COUNTY SEAT $800: Muskogee is both a county & county seat in this state
(Alex: Correct, with less than a minute to go.)

EASY BEING GREEN $1000: Known for its painted green bottles, this beer has been "doing our thing since 1939"
(Brian: What is Heineken?)

EASY BEING GREEN $800: Not many folks can sucker-punch Thor, but this character does, in "The Avengers" movie
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

YOU'RE A 3-LETTER ANIMAL $800: Want to bet this animal can provide rich milk? You're on!

YOU'RE A 3-LETTER ANIMAL $1200: What's this African antelope with curved horns, thin legs & a horselike tail? Not much... What's this with you?
(Alex: [*]. What's new with you?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Becket
Martin Luther
abacus
Kyoto
New Delhi
wind
Van Halen
Modern English
foyer
berserk
Nigeria
Rousseau
Rainforest
John Irving
the Aztec Empire
baby-doll
emerald
Elizabeth I
a breech baby (baby breech accepted)
Chairman Mao
the distance from home to first (the distance between bases)
Williamsport
Howard Cosell
Iowa
Oklahoma
Rolling Rock
The Hulk
a yak
a gnu
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Oscar-Winning Writers
Winning for 1999, this New England writer is the last person to win an Oscar for adapting his own novel.

Spoiler
Who is John Irving? (for The Cider House Rules) Debra said Stephen King; Julia said Michael Chabon.

Brian Loughnane: $12,600+$10,000=$22,600...now a 1-day champion with $22,600
Julia Collins: $11,000-$11,000=$0
Debra Walsh: $5,200-$0=$5,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgs
Contributor

Post by tgs »

I've suspected today would be the end since a week or so ago, when Julia announced a TV appearance in Chicago for tomorrow.

Some thoughts:

Julia's FJ wager. Argh. Now that she's buddies with Keith I doubt that'll happen in e TOC.

Finally an all-around bad game for Julia, including some uncharacteristic negs, and she's still in pretty good shape, nearly in the lead going to FJ but still in position to win on a triple stumper FJ (if she'd wager better) because she's so strong on the buzzer. An impressive bad game, if there is such a thing.

Her first game without a sweater and she loses. Obviously causal.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

She looked like at first she would run away with it, but she didn't get that second Daily Double towards the end, which she was so good at finding. Critics can say they should go back to a limited number of games a player can be on. I disagree. Arthur and Julia were both refreshing because we hadn't had a double digit champion since David Madden and that was in 2005. Who knows the next time we'll have someone like that, if ever?

I am more confident than ever that Ken's streak may never be broken. I think all but 10 of his victories were locks, and if I recall correctly, not once did he trail going into Final Jeopardy.

I congratulate Julia on a wonderful run and I hope she goes far in the Tournament of Champions.

Also, congratulations to Brian for his victory. I'm not going to pass judgment on what kind of player he is or can be, since Julia's first game wasn't exactly a runaway or an overly high amount. Brian won more today than Julia did her first game and her margin of victory in her first victory was a mere $505.

It's a little too bad she couldn't have been on a year ago. The possibility of her facing Larissa and/or Pam in the Battle of the Decades would've been great.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Down goes Collins!!! Down goes Collins!!! Down goes Collins!!!!

(Said in a better Cosell voice than Alex used).

Seriously, a great run and I am sorry to see her go. She seemed a bit off her game, even if the got the DD right, she still doesn't have a lock. (I picked abacus in a coin flip over calculator).

I'll forgive the Irish native for not knowing the distance between the bases, but I ran the category pretty easily. Although Cosell was a bit of a guess as the impression was pretty bad.

I think Brian underbet on the DD. The scores were....

Julia $9,400
Brian $8,600
Debra $5,200

There was $3,600 left on the board in the bottom two clues in three lettered animals. The $2,000 bet does give him the lead, but he can be passed if Julia gets one right and he doesn't get any. At least make her sweep the board to take the lead.

With that category in his spot, I'd have been tempted to bet $999 and hope she bet to shut out third place. But she has never bet from behind and after 20 wins, she may not really care, so her all in bet didn't surprise me much. After her reveal, I was hoping he also missed and went all in.

I had no idea, went with Stephen King as the only New England author I could think of. Well, he was one of two New England writers who came to mind, but I was pretty sure Brendan DuBois hasn't won an Oscar.

Congrats to Julia on her historic run and good luck in the TOC.
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXaLu7bvke8

Well, this is a game I'm looking forward to watching (I haven't been able to not be spoiled, sad to say).

I was hoping she'd lose to a woman (keep the rift trend going!!) but good luck to "Brian," although with the exception of the Keller/Leach/McShane and Kavanaugh/Marshall combos, those who defeat the big champions tend to appear to be flukes.

And I don't think that even the biggest Julia fan thought she was going to come within 50% of Ken's streak, although maybe they did. She was, after all, well over 25%.

If she ever has to place Kelly or Meulleur (or, for that matter, Baker, who she may well play in the ToC), I doubt she'll even come close. Then again, I've been known to be wildly wrong before.

Sorry to see she lost the time she doesn't wear a sweater, because that might invoke obscenely stupid superstitious ideas in some. Although perhaps the Jeopardy! audience is above such idiocy.

Can't wait to watch the game, and see if I am dead wrong or not in the ToC!
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Pliny the Younger? WTF? Stand and stare *after* that? WTFF??

They accepted "baby breech"? I've always heard it "breech baby". (My mom was one - born a breech in 1943 in rural Saskatchewan is quite a feat, and she's still alive!)

Loved Julia's (last) interview - this is the kind of person who can win 20 games on Jeopardy! As Ken Jennings said "the key to success on Jeopardy! is be an information-seeking person all your life". (Something like that).

I think the thing I like most about Julia is how it genuinely looked like she was having fun from the moment Johnny introduced her in her very first game, to the moment the credit roll finished today. This is another key to success at Jeopardy, enjoy the game, my friends.
tgs wrote:I've suspected today would be the end since a week or so ago, when Julia announced a TV appearance in Chicago for tomorrow.
And how many TV appearances did Ken have before his run ended. I think the TV people have started calling because she's more famous now, was it around this point that the media started noticing Ken? (Not counting Arthur in this because he's fully admitted to self-promotion, so early-in-the-run TV appearances were part of his MO.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Knew the film, didn't know the author who wrote it.

PS: How would Julia have done in the BOTD had she been invited? I think she would have made at least the semis.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

She falls $3300 short of David Madden's regular game winnings mark. Next season's Saturday reruns have 34 of the 52 airings sewn up between Chu's and Julia's games. GSN will probably pick up this season in about three years when they are able to do so and if they choose to.
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

Anyone find it a little trippy that Julia finally lost her game on the 10-year anniversary of Ken's very first game? Sad that she just missed the mark of surpassing David Madden's winning total, but she still won more games, and is the winningest woman on Jeopardy! It was a thrill watching her.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Well, it was a good run, Julia.

===

This was a game of tough $200 clues IMO:

1.) What led to Aztec on Art?

2.) NHO "Baby doll dress", which was my only miss there.

3.) Westchester isn't every well known IMO.

I also thought "Wind" was tricky to decipher on Green in DJ! for $400.

The whole Historic People category was totally impenetrable to me anyway.

Guessing the contestants had the same brain fart on New Delhi that I did. I couldn't think of a single city in India.

Lach Trash: Foyer. Had a chance at running the Word category, but clammed on the bottom two.

Why was Kyoto "of course" on Green for $2000?

Ran 3-Letter Animals.

Somehow I see "I said Stephen King" being a poll choice. NHO John irving or "Cider House Rules".
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Mother of all that is sweet and holy, if you don't know your Oscars cold, that is some of the most vicious negbait I have ever seen on this show.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bamaman wrote: I think Brian underbet on the DD. The scores were....

Julia $9,400
Brian $8,600
Debra $5,200

There was $3,600 left on the board in the bottom two clues in three lettered animals. The $2,000 bet does give him the lead, but he can be passed if Julia gets one right and he doesn't get any. At least make her sweep the board to take the lead.
I was thinking the same thing, even though at this point I know better when it comes to their wagering. I think I was still annoyed that berserk was a TS.

Congrats for the long run Julia! Good luck in the TOC.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Julia, if by chance you're lurking here, congrats on an amazing run. You don't win 20 games without being damn good. I'll look forward to seeing you in the Tournament. Let's get the hype going now for Julia vs. Arthur!

I got spoiled by following #Jeopardy on Twitter during the game - guess I can't complain too much.

I'm sure many people here will join me in missing with Stephen King on final. "But 'The Green Mile' was a novella!" said the voice in the back of my head. Would never have gotten the right answer.

Kyoto was a damn easy DD, and I'm sure Julia knew it. If only she'd DD hunted in the other side of the board...

LT on Martin Luther, foyer, and Nigeria (lucky guess).
Last edited by zakharov on Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I'm surprised there's been no "Luck o' the Irish" jokes yet. :P

Looked like another run-of-the-mill blowout victory for Julia, and then... boom. It all faded away. Oh well... had to end sometime. Now our attention turns to the anticipation of the Julia-Arthur deathmatch in the next TOC. Can't wait!
Shmuel
Contributor

Post by Shmuel »

dhkendall wrote:They accepted "baby breech"? I've always heard it "breech baby".
It looked to me like there was an edit there, after which Alex said that Brian had said both of the words. I was surprised he didn't go on to explicitly note that they should have been the other way around, but I guess it got lost in the explanation of why Debra was negged.

I ran Word Origins and would have run 3-Letter Animals if I hadn't clammed on the last clue. Ah well.

I'm sorry to see Julia go, but I cannot wait for the ToC. Julia vs. Arthur! :)
esrever

Post by esrever »

Congrats to Julia on her magnificent 20-game run! Sorry to see her go.

I really thought Julia was going to win again when she was well ahead going into the DJ round. But Brian caught up to her and passed her. Brian was very fast on the buzzer.

Picked up Lach trash: "Martin Luther", "New Delhi", "Modern English", "Nigeria"

Didn't get FJ. Guessed Stephen King instead.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I had no idea, went with Stephen King as the only New England author I could think of.
This.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Bamaman wrote:Down goes Collins!!! Down goes Collins!!! Down goes Collins!!!!

(Said in a better Cosell voice than Alex used).
Not that I'm a fan of Alex's impressions, but if it IS part of your shtick, how can you NOT do Cosell? So I give him credit for trying, since in the past, as far as I recall, he has not.
I'm smart and I want respect.