TD 194 -- General Knowledge: 20 of 10

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

esrever
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 194 -- General Knowledge: 20 of 10

Post by esrever »

Rules

Welcome to Think Different game 194! This quiz has 20 questions of general knowledge, each having 10 possible correct answers. Your goal for each question is to give the correct answer that you think the fewest players will give.

Submit your entry in a PM to me, esrever, by 12:00 noon Eastern Daylight Time on Monday, June 9, 2014. This deadline is firm. Once you have submitted your entry, changes will not be permitted.

You may drop as many questions as you wish by listing DROP instead of an answer. However, you will receive 10 points for each DROP you use. There is no bonus for using zero DROPs.

Your score for each correct answer will be the number of players (including you) who give your answer.

Your score for each incorrect answer will be the sheep score (the greatest number of players who give a correct answer to that question, but not including DROP) plus 5 points.

The lowest total score wins. Tiebreakers will be based on order of entry.

No intentional research is allowed! But if you stumble upon an answer between the time you read a question and the time you submit your entry, you are allowed to use that answer.

Please do not post any answers in this thread or elsewhere on JBoard. You may discuss this TD in this thread if you are sure you won't give away answers or offer hints about answers.

If you have a question about this TD that should not be discussed in this thread, then please send it in a PM to me. I will post clarifications in this thread if needed.

Good Luck!
Last edited by esrever on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esrever

Re: TD 194 -- General Knowledge: 20 of 10

Post by esrever »

Questions

1. NAMES OF BABY GIRLS
Name one of the 10 names most often given to newborn girls in the United States in 2013 according to the Social Security Administration.

2. POLYGONS
We all know that a triangle has 3 sides, a rectangle has 4 sides, a pentagon has 5 sides, and a hexagon has 6 sides. Name one of the 10 polygons described below. Give both the letter you choose and the polygon's name. Two of them each have two names that will be accepted as correct answers, but you need only give one answer. (Example: K. triangle)

A. 7 sides
B. 8 sides
C. 9 sides
D. 10 sides
E. 11 sides
F. 12 sides
G. 13 sides
H. 14 sides
I. 15 sides
J. 16 sides

3. NUMBERS
Name one of these numbers in Arabic number form. Give both your chosen letter and the number. You do not need to name the language. (Example: K. 34)

A. MCMLXVIII
B. veinte
C. cinquemila
D. quatre vingt
E. dezoito
F. pedwar
G. sechzig
H. eenenvijftig
I. novem
J. kvardek sep

4. #1 SONGS BY YEAR
Name the year ending in "0" in which one of the following songs was a #1 hit in the United States for at least one week according to Billboard magazine and/or Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories 1890-1954 book. Give both your chosen letter and the year. (Example: K. 1950)

A. Say My Name by Destiny's Child
B. Call Me by Blondie
C. Swanee by Al Jolson
D. Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars
E. Music! Music! Music! by Teresa Brewer
F. Semper Fidelis by U.S. Marine Band
G. American Woman by The Guess Who
H. Tuxedo Junction by Glenn Miller & His Orchestra
I. Cathy's Clown by The Everly Brothers
J. It Must Have Been Love by Roxette

5. BASEBALL TEAMS
Name one of the current Major League Baseball teams whose team name is in one of the positions 11 through 20 (inclusive) on the alphabetical list of MLB team names. Just to be clear: It's the team names that are alphabetized, not the team locations.

6. REALLY HIGH HIGHEST POINTS
Name one of the countries whose highest point is among the 9 highest "highest points by country" in the world. Two of the countries have a highest point that is the same elevation and therefore they are tied on the list; this means that there are actually 10 countries from which to choose. The country must be a sovereign state that is a member of the United Nations.

7. BIG CITIES - PART 1
Name one of the 10 most-populous cities in the continental United States EAST of the Mississippi River based on population within the city limits according to the 2010 census.

8. BIG CITIES - PART 2
Name one of the 10 most-populous cities in the continental United States WEST of the Mississippi River based on population within the city limits according to the 2010 census.

9. BIRTH CENTURIES
Name the century in which one of these historical figures was born. Give both the letter you choose and the century. (Example: K. 18th century)

A. William Shakespeare
B. Harriet Beecher Stowe
C. Thomas Edison
D. Genghis Khan
E. Clark Gable
F. Queen Anne of Great Britain
G. Michelangelo
H. Henry David Thoreau
I. Pocahontas
J. Christopher Columbus

10. IT'S A GAS
Name a chemical element other than oxygen that is a gas at room temperature.

11. A-G-N-O-R WORDS
Name one of the ten 5-letter words that can be spelled using ALL of the letters A-G-N-O-R and is contained in the Oxford English Dictionary.

12. NOBEL PRIZES
Nobel Prizes are awarded in six categories: Physics, Chemistry, Physiology/Medicine, Literature, Peace, and Economics. Name the category in which one of these individuals won a Nobel Prize. Give both your chosen letter and the Nobel Prize category. (Example: K. Physiology/Medicine)

A. Paul Krugman (2008)
B. Ivan Pavlov (1904)
C. Milton Friedman (1976)
D. Dorothy Hodgkin (1964)
E. Enrico Fermi (1938)
F. Steven Chu (1997)
G. Liu Xiaobo (2010)
H. Toni Morrison (1993)
I. Thomas Mann (1929)
J. Albert Schweitzer (1952)

13. MOVIE YEARS
Name the year ending in "2" in which one of the following films was released. A major star of each film is in parentheses after each title. Specify both your chosen letter and the year. (Example: K. 1942)

A. Tootsie (Dustin Hoffman)
B. Lawrence of Arabia (Peter O'Toole)
C. What's Up, Doc? (Barbra Streisand)
D. Shanghai Express (Marlene Dietrich)
E. Spider-Man (Tobey Maguire)
F. The Greatest Show On Earth (Betty Hutton)
G. Skyfall (Daniel Craig)
H. Blood and Sand (Rudolph Valentino)
I. Sister Act (Whoopi Goldberg)
J. Mrs. Miniver (Greer Garson)

14. THE FIRST 10 STATES
Name one of the first ten states of the United States based on date of ratification of the U.S. Constitution. Three of them are officially known as commonwealths but are generally referred to as states.

15. FACTORS OF 512
Name one of the factors of 512. (Positive whole numbers only.)

16. ACADEMY AWARDS FOR BEST ACTOR
Name one of the 10 most-recent actors to win an Academy Award for Best Actor.

17. EVENT YEARS ENDING IN "7"
Name the year ending in "7" in which one of the following events took place. Give both your chosen letter and the year. (Example: K. 1897)

A. On May 22, Charles Lindbergh lands his airplane in Paris, France, completing the world's first solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean.
B. On April 7, Bell Telephone and the U.S. Department of Commerce conduct a television transmission from Washington, DC to New York City -- the world's first long-distance television transmission.
C. On October 4, the USSR launches Sputnik 1, the first artificial Earth satellite.
D. On May 6, the dirigible Hindenburg explodes in flames at Lakehurst, New Jersey, killing 36 people.
E. On June 5 through 10, the Six-Day War is fought in the Middle East.
F. On December 24, Thomas Edison files a patent application for his latest invention: the phonograph.
G. On September 28, newscaster David Brinkey, 74, retires after 54 years in broadcasting.
H. On December 20, Queen Elizabeth II becomes the oldest-ever monarch of the United Kingdom, surpassing Queen Victoria, who lived for 81 years, 7 months and 29 days.
I. On July 1, Canada is created by enactment of the British North America Act, now called the Constitution Act.
J. On October 19, a stock market crash occurs in which the Dow Jones Industrial Average falls 22.61 percent in just this one day -- the all-time record for greatest percentage loss in the DJIA in one day.

18. FEDERAL HOLIDAYS IN THE UNITED STATES
Name one of the 10 federal holidays in the United States for which most U.S. Government employees get a paid day off from work. All of the holiday names have "day" in them, either separately or as part of a compound word.

19. CHESS OR CARDS?
Name one of the six types of playing pieces in the game of chess OR one of the four suits in a standard deck of playing cards.

20. AUTHORS
Name the author of one of these literary works. Specify both the letter you choose and the name of the author. (Example: K. John Doe)

A. For Whom The Bell Tolls (1940)
B. Jaws (1974)
C. Tuesdays With Morrie (1997)
D. Chesapeake (1978)
E. The Joy Luck Club (1989)
F. The Time Keeper (2012)
G. Jabberwocky (1871)
H. The Jungle Book (1894)
I. The Jungle (1906)
J. The Scarlet Letter (1850)
Last edited by esrever on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Clarifications

(1) Some of the questions with lettered answers have some duplicate answers:
Question #9: There are only 7 different centuries among the 10 answers.
Question #12: Since there are only 6 Nobel Prize categories and 10 answers, some of the prize categories are necessarily repeated. But each of the six categories is represented at least once in the answers.
Question #17: Two of the events happened in the same year, so there are 9 different years among the 10 answers.
Question #20. Two of the works are by the same author, so there are 9 different authors among the 10 answers.

(2) Questions 7 and 8: The city must be entirely east of, or entirely west of, the Mississippi River. So this excludes any cities that are bisected by the river.

(3) Question 1: You do not have to spell the name exactly as it is spelled on the list. If your spelling of a name is pronounced the same as one of the 10 names on the list, I will count it as a correct answer.
Last edited by esrever on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Entrants (70):
nestegg
Alyssa
DPP
nightreign
Wheatley
gamawire
geolawyerman
lieph82
MarkBarrett
sarah0114
dnbguy
JeopardyMom
Lilac
CheezeWhiz
Noon
Peggles
jjwaymee
hscer
ElendilPickle
JoshuaRQI
gem
Aardvark
Caboom
Kayanne
mennoknight
d4z
Cat Hat
CrunchyTaco
Bristle
Christy
dhkendall
Vanya
armorie
mitchparov
Rackme32
Joy
dude33
countyguy
econgator
BobF
immaf
DCrawshawJr
tjconn728
Woppy T
Magna
clprez
Leander
Mathew5000
TheyCallMeMrKid
whatisbishkek
dott888
Paucle
skullturf
Vermonter
Bamaman
RandyG
amorris525
ihavejeoprosy
goforthetie
Bob78164
jeffwolfe
Woof
debramc
Lumosityfan
UniquePerspective
lisa0012
eboettch
This Is Kirk!
barandall800
cheezguyty
Last edited by esrever on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 38 times in total.
BobF

Post by BobF »

esrever wrote:Questions
3. NUMBERS
Name one of these numbers in Arabic number form. Give both your chosen letter and the number. You do not need to name the language. (Example: K. 34)

A. MCMLXVIII
B. veinte
C. cinquemila
D. quatre vingt
E. dezoito
F. pedwar
G. sechzig
H. eenenvijftig
I. novem
J. kvardek sep
Darn, no Swedish, I might have had a chance.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

I'm in, last place locked up!
My goal is to score less than 20xDROP :lol:
esrever

Post by esrever »

I'm pleased with the number of entries so far (25), but there's certainly room for more!

One of the answers has already been given by 11 players. So from now on, using a DROP instead of that particular answer will result in fewer points (10). Also, there are two other answers (to two other questions) that already have 9 players and 8 players, respectively, so those answers might go beyond 10 as well. Just something to think about if you're planning to enter.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

To clarify, on the Mississippi River questions you're referring to cities entirely east and entirely west of the river? Cities bisected by the river can be ignored for both questions?
esrever

Post by esrever »

DadofTwins wrote:To clarify, on the Mississippi River questions you're referring to cities entirely east and entirely west of the river? Cities bisected by the river can be ignored for both questions?
Yes and yes.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Bumping. 28 entries so far!
BobF

Post by BobF »

Now that mine TD is out of the way, and since I can drop unlimited questions (I may score 200, haha) I will enter sometime soon.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

For question #1, does spelling count? If names sound the same but are spelled differently, are they counted as the same name? To give a male example, are Sean, Shaun, and Shawn the same name?
Teems with quiet fun.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

immaf wrote:For question #1, does spelling count? If names sound the same but are spelled differently, are they counted as the same name? To give a male example, are Sean, Shaun, and Shawn the same name?
Look, the list is made by the SSA, not by the NSA. SSA does not listen to people and, consequently, does not know what their names sound like.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

Look, the list is made by the SSA, not by the NSA. SSA does not listen to people and, consequently, does not know what their names sound like.
So, not only do we need to guess a popular name, we need to guess the most popular spelling of it?
Teems with quiet fun.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

immaf wrote:
So, not only do we need to guess a popular name, we need to guess the most popular spelling of it?
I am not competent to answer that. I only know how the sausage is produced; I don't care how it is used.
esrever

Post by esrever »

immaf wrote:For question #1, does spelling count? If names sound the same but are spelled differently, are they counted as the same name? To give a male example, are Sean, Shaun, and Shawn the same name?
You do not have to spell the name exactly as it is spelled on the list. If your spelling of a name is pronounced the same as one of the 10 names on the list, I will count it as a correct answer.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

You'll want to PM those to esrever instead of posting them in the thread.

I like this TD, though I'm pretty sure I'm going to sheep it up. I considered dropping every question, but I figured I might as well try my luck.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

nightreign wrote:You'll want to PM those to esrever instead of posting them in the thread.

I like this TD, though I'm pretty sure I'm going to sheep it up. I considered dropping every question, but I figured I might as well try my luck.
Oops, I accidentally pressed "quote" instead of "PM" to PM my answers, caught it right after pressing Submit, copied and it after about ten seconds, and hoped nobody saw. I created a PM immediately after. :oops:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

countyguy wrote:
nightreign wrote:You'll want to PM those to esrever instead of posting them in the thread.

Oops, I accidentally pressed "quote" instead of "PM" to PM my answers, caught it right after pressing Submit, copied and it after about ten seconds, and hoped nobody saw. I created a PM immediately after. :oops:
You're lucky you did, because Aria was going to send a Faceless Man after ... wait ... that's Arya, not Aria. My bad.
esrever

Post by esrever »

41 entries now! If you haven't entered yet, you have until Monday at 12:00 noon Eastern Time to get your entry in. Come join the fun!