Wednesday, November 9, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6243, 2011-11-09

2011 Tournament of Champions semifinal game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Erin McLean, a junior at Boston University from Danvers, Massachusetts
Tom Nissley, a writer from Seattle, Washington
Justin Sausville, a urologist from Baltimore, Maryland

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny, thank you. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. And a warm welcome back to our first group of semifinalists--Erin, Tom, and Justin. They performed well in the quarterfinal games. Justin, in this threesome, was the highest scorer, so he will select first as we start the Jeopardy! Round. We begin with the dollar figures, and we follow that with the categories. Here they are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TWINS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BOND MOVIE BY BOND GIRL (4/5)
& JUSTICE FOR ALL (5/5)
THE HILLS ARE ALIVE (4/5)
POLITICAL LEADERS (4/5)
COMPLETES THE PROVERB (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tom: 12 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Justin: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Erin: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Justin: $3,800
Tom: $2,000
Erin: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Erin McLean was our college champion this past year, which means she won $100,000. And the announcement of the victory was kind of special, because it was done where?

Erin: Well, I'm in the B.U. band, and so I play my tuba at almost every hockey game. And so I wasn't home the night my final game aired, but, uh, my friends actually contacted the arena and had them announce my victory at Agganis Arena in front of 6,000 people.

Alex: Yes, special, indeed.

Erin: Yeah.

Alex: All right. They're very proud of you, I'm sure.

Alex: Tom Nissley--he won eight times in the regular in the regular competition last year--$235,000, and that was enough money for you to quit your job and start what?

Tom: Uh, to become a writer. Uh, um, I've had a couple book projects I've been wanting to work on for a long time, and I had kind of an all-consuming job, uh, and now I've had time to work on them.

Alex: Nearly a quarter-million dollars can help in that regard, give you a lot of free time, right?

Tom: Yeah. A quarter of a million dollars will also help.

[Laughter]

Alex: Aha. Yes.

Alex: Justin Sausville is from Maryland. He's a urologist who has just completed the what? U.S. Army...

Justin: Uh, the officer basic course for the army reserve. Uh, I joined the army reserve when I was a resident, and now that residency--now that I've finished residency, I, uh, had the opportunity to spend three weeks in San Antonio, uh, learning the basics of being an army officer. It was great training, and it's--I think--I look forward to, um, being able to help contribute to, uh, taking care of the soldiers.

Alex: Okay, but that means, obviously, that you could be called up to serve abroad in some dangerous places.

Justin: [Nonchalantly] Uh...

Alex: Yeah.

Alex and Justin, together: Okay.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tom found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Justin had $3,800, Tom had $2,600, and Erin was at $1,000. Tom made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,600.

TWINS $600: These twins & recent First Daughters were named for their grandmothers
(Tom: Who are Barbara and...)
(Alex: You're halfway there.)
(Tom: I am halfway there. Uh...)
(Alex: But hurry!)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BOND MOVIE BY BOND GIRL $600: 1977:
Barbara Bach as Major Anya Amasova

POLITICAL LEADERS $1000: An ardent Polish patriot, this piano virtuoso served as the country's leader in 1919 & again in exile from 1940 to 1941

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE $400: Encyclopedia Britannica says Wels, Austria is in these lower parts of the Eastern Alps

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Justin: $6,400
Tom: $4,400
Erin: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WINTER OLYMPICS MASCOTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"RED", "WHITE" OR "BLUE" (5/5)
QUICK LIT (5/5)
BUGS (5/5)
BEFORE, DURING & AFTER (4/5)
OPERATIC COSTUMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: From the vaults of the Metropolitan opera, they look like they might come to life and sing on their own.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tom: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W
Erin: 7 R, 0 W
Justin: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tom snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Justin had $5,600, Tom had $5,200, and Erin was at $1,400. Tom wagered $1,000.

OPERATIC COSTUMES $1200: (Alex reports from the Metropolitan Opera in New York.) The costume worn by this character may not seem to go with his title profession, but in his first scene he sings "Largo al factotum" and explains that he's also the apothecary, gardener & wig maker
(Alex: I must have been doing a really good job.)
(Tom: You sold me, yeah.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Tom who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Justin had $10,400, Tom had $24,200, and Erin was at $5,400. Tom wagered $2,000.

WINTER OLYMPICS MASCOTS $2000: Haakon & Kristin, mascots of this city's Olympics, were named for a Norwegian prince & princess

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OPERATIC COSTUMES $2000: (Alex wears a helmet at the Metropolitan Opera in New York.) This helmet is a fitting accessory from a production of this Wagner work in which the knight's arrival in a swan boat is one of opera's great entrances
(Justin: What is Parsifal?)
(Alex: And try as I might, I couldn't bring that hat home.)

BEFORE, DURING & AFTER $400: "The pipes, the pipes are calling" for a Culture Club lad & late Yankees owner
(Justin: Who is Boy George Steinbrenner?)
(Alex: We need all three; we need before, during & after.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tom: $26,200 (lock game)
Justin: $10,400
Erin: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FRENCH HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Tom: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $5,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Justin: Wager $401 to cover Erin.
Erin: You have the hope of surpassing Justin for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $4,600 and $5,398.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She said, "I told my plans to no one. I was not killing a man, but a wild beast that was devouring the French people"

FINAL SCORES
Erin: $5,400 - $5,398 = $2 (Who is Joan of Arc?) (3rd place: $10,000)
Justin: $10,400 + $10,399 = $20,799 (Who was Charlotte Corday?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Tom: $26,200 + $1,001 = $27,201 (Who is Corday?) (Finalist)
(Alex: [Revealing Justin's response] The woman who killed Marat in his tub.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tom: $29,000, 27 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Justin: $10,400, 15 R, 3 W
Erin: $5,400, 12 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $44,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Tom: 28/61 = .459
Justin: 16/58 = .276
Erin: 12/58 = .207
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BOND MOVIE BY BOND GIRL $1000: 1971:
Jill St. John as Tiffany Case
(Alex: You have to love the names.)

POLITICAL LEADERS $600: David Ben-Gurion first became prime minister of Israel in this year
(Erin: What is 1949?)

TWINS $800: First names of the pair seen here

& JUSTICE FOR ALL $400: Since 1992 this "Project" has used DNA evidence to help exonerate more than 250 wrongly convicted people
(Erin: What is the Genome Project?)

OPERATIC COSTUMES $400: (Alex dresses as a toreador at the Metropolitan Opera in New York.) In a costume from a 2009 production I'm Escamillo, the toreador who wins the heart of this gypsy girl

OPERATIC COSTUMES $800: (Alex reports from the Metropolitan Opera in New York.) The title character disguises himself, but not very well, in "Le comte Ory", the first opera created in French by this composer whose last opera was "William Tell"
(Justin: Who is Puccini?)

OPERATIC COSTUMES $1600: (Alex wears a cape at the Metropolitan Opera in New York.) This cape was worn by Enrico Caruso as the Duke of Mantua in this Verdi opera, the role in which he made his Met debut way back in 1903

QUICK LIT $1200: Characters have been rejected by their author in a 1921 play by this Italian
(Alex: Yes, Six Characters in Search of an Author.)

BEFORE, DURING & AFTER $2000: Nebraska-named D-Day landing area whose album "Pet Sounds" clones Nazis in South America
[Applause for Tom's near-run of the category]

BUGS $2000: These ants are named for the way they gather or reap seeds & leaves

CORRECT RESPONSES
Barbara & Jenna
The Spy Who Loved Me
Jan Paderewski
the foothills
the Barber of Seville
Lillehammer
Lohengrin
Oh Danny Boy George Steinbrenner
Charlotte Corday
Diamonds Are Forever
Chang & Eng
the Innocence Project
Carmen
(Gioachino) Rossini
Rigoletto
Pirandello
Omaha Beach Boys from Brazil
harvester ants
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Re: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DWS »

I thought this game was a good start to the semifinals. Nice job by Tom on getting the lock win.
Fishercat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fishercat »

DWS: Agreed. All three players showed well and had their moments. Tom was just masterful, and both Justin and Erin did well. My theory about Erin getting her sea legs on the buzzer seemed to validate itself as she was picking up a ton of the "all three buzzing" answers.

I was just sitting here, stupefied, at how much they knew as I kept putting "zeroes" on my sheet. The Before/Middle/After category was frustrating as I knew about 2.5 of the three parts on each question.

Oh, and my smartass answer to Final Jeopardy? Marie Curie (it sorta makes sense!) I guess the fact that I avoided the History of France kinda hurts here. :)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Tom Nissley on advancing to the finals, and congrats to Erin and Justin on a well-played tournament!

This was a very, very good board. The J! round may have been a tad on the easy side but on the whole it was well-written and hit a good difficulty level. I loved the Bond girls category, and I think that the writers did a good job making the clues in it accessible to non-Bond movie fans by including the name of the character, actress, and year that the film was released.

The thing that made this game the most fun to watch was seeing how well-composed Erin, Tom, and Justin all were. None of them seemed to be nervous and they all won their fair share of buzzer races. In the end Tom's knowledge base won it for him, but it was still a good battle.

The only triple stumper that I remember surprising me was Paderewski. The contestants did a great job picking up the money.

I got the FJ clue. The light bulb came on about 5 seconds into the clue. Naturally I thought of Joan of Arc and Marie Antoinette first but they both seemed too obvious. It would have been embarrassing for me to miss this clue considering that Jean-Paul Marat was my precall!

Tom impressed me in this game more than I thought he would. The fact that he played this well and that Jay Rhee managed to match up well with him in their quarterfinal game makes me think that I underestimated them both, and that TPTB might not have done such a bad job choosing the semifinal match ups.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

Got Fj easily (for once, being French speaking came in handy!)

The before, during and after category would have done me in though ;-/

Congrats to Tom for the win, and to Justin and Erin for a well-played game.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

laubla999 wrote:Got Fj easily
I sorta did. I kept thinking "Corday", no "Cordray", no "Corday" ... no ......... no. "Corday"
The before, during and after category would have done me in though ;-/
That's the one I had little trouble with. The only one I had no chance on was the $2k clue, as I had no chance on the "after" part.

Well-played game by all and congrats to Tom on the win!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Great game tonight - a lot of fun to watch. Heck, I even liked the opera category.

Great job by all three contestants! As others have said, all three contestants had their moments, and have every reason to be proud and satisfied. Tom had more moments than the others, and more near the bottom of the board. Running "Before, During and After" put it away for him. If I were a 4 or 5 time winner, I'd look to (somehow) practice on these in the time off before the next TOC - they only break these ones out for the heavyweights.

My respect for Tom's ability, always very high, went up another couple of notches with a lock game after missing one true daily double and betting small in another (can't remember the third DD) against great players.

Can we have all the games at the TOC level? I could watch more of this.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Very impressive performance by Tom, turning on the afterburners in the middle of the DJ round and reminding us of how great he was in winning 8 games in regular play (and also a reminder of how deep this TOC field is). He had lots of good gets, such as blue stocking, Isherwood and Pirandello. Justin and Erin hung in there as long as they could, but Tom could only be held in check for so long.

I loved these boards. More B, D & A please? I actually found the $400 one the hardest (couldn't get the "Danny Boy" part of the clue) but ran the rest of the category. I thought the Olympic mascots category was easier than the category title suggested; you only had to know what city the Olympics had been held in in various years, all pretty recent (as well as being able to get to Sasquatch from Quatchi).

FJ was an instaget. I thought it was a reasonable clue; not tricky or obscure, just the kind of thing a TOC finalist should know.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

French History
She said, "I told my plans to no one. I was not killing a man, but a wild beast that was devouring the French people."
Spoiler
Who is Charlotte Corday? Erin said Joan of Arc.
Tom Nissley: $26,200+$1,001=$27,201
Justin Sausville: $10,400+$10,399=$20,799
Erin McLean: $5,400-$5,398=$2
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tom had the Gold-finger in the DJ round to put the game away. Losing 2600 on JENNA! JENNA! JENNA! to the third power only slowed Tom down a tad.

Paderewsi was exactly the kind of thing I had in mind when I Bronzed Justin before the tournament. A known name that he should get. I never took into account that things like that can go TS and make it not matter. I'd like to think that at least two of three of Mark, Joon or Roger would have been all over the name.

The FJ clue had me know the correct name tout de suite. I did a double check that I was not going to blow it by using the name of 1987 TOCer. Rapidement, J'ai fini.

Twins and Proverbs were the category runs for me at home. In live play I'm sure I would have been thrown off by the timing for the clues in Proverbs to be done.

I needed a few warm-up shots for B,D & A as I was ready for the 90 mph heaters for the last three in the category. $400 was indeed the toughest in my book.

No TS clues for FJ yet. The writers are going to turn the tables on the results some time this tourney. Time to make my predictions for semi #2 in the other thread.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

hbomb1947 wrote: I thought the Olympic mascots category was easier than the category title suggested; you only had to know what city the Olympics had been held in in various years, all pretty recent (as well as being able to get to Sasquatch from Quatchi).
Same here, and I was hoping the category would involve mostly just naming the city from the year or country, because I knew I'd have a heck of a lot better chance at that than actually naming or recognizing those goofy mascots that they always use. I can't believe that I didn't realize until just now that the Vancouver mascot was named Quatchi, as I considered sasquatch for that answer, being in the Pacific Northwest, but decided to clam on it, since I thought a more logical mascot would have been a smaller, cuter mythical creature. Even after the correct response was given and I smacked my forehead, I didn't even make the connection that Quatchi was a totally obvious name for a sasquatch mascot.

Did anyone else wonder why Tom didn't just say "Who are the Bush twins?" on his Daily Double, instead of trying to come up with their first names? They accepted Olsen Twins without requiring first names, so I think they would have to accept it for this clue. For a while I was thinking that $5,200 he lost on the DD would end up costing him the game, if Justin was able to hold the lead going into FJ, but then Tom caught fire in the DJ round, making it a lock game even with a miss on the true DD. I thought the whole twin category was insanely easy for the TOC, topped off by Romulus & Remus in the $1,000 box.

I was worried that they were going to neg Erin for saying "What is divine", when she should have said "what is is divine", despite the awkward wording. The writers of that clue should have anticipated the clumsy answer required for the clue as written and added the "is" to the text of the clue. Alex gave her a long pause after her response, before ruling her correct. I would have been seriously pissed off on Erin's behalf if they had come back and taken that one away later, but fortunately they chose to let it go.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

boson wrote:My respect for Tom's ability, always very high, went up another couple of notches with a lock game after missing one true daily double and betting small in another (can't remember the third DD) against great players.
The third DD was the last clue of the game. By that point, Tom already had the game locked and wisely wagered so as not to risk it.

It was amazing how quickly this game changed from highly competitive to a run-away. Justin could have easily won this game had things gone just a bit differently. And I have to say that I was very impressed with Erin's performance. I never expected her to make it out of the QFs (sorry, Erin!), but she really held her own against some stiff competition. Congrats to all three of you on a nice showing!
jeff6286 wrote:Did anyone else wonder why Tom didn't just say "Who are the Bush twins?" on his Daily Double, instead of trying to come up with their first names?
Yes!
jeff6286 wrote:I was worried that they were going to neg Erin for saying "What is divine", when she should have said "what is is divine" ... but fortunately they chose to let it go.
Her response was correct as given. The quote is from Alexander Pope's Essay on Criticism: "To err is human; to forgive, divine."
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:I was worried that they were going to neg Erin for saying "What is divine", when she should have said "what is is divine" ... but fortunately they chose to let it go.
Her response was correct as given. The quote is from Alexander Pope's Essay on Criticism: "To err is human; to forgive, divine."
Oops, I totally screwed up my thinking on that then. I was thinking it should be "To forgive is divine", so I retract my previous comments about clumsy wording and sloppy writing. That does leave the question of why Alex made the long pause before accepting Erin's response. Perhaps he was making sure that she didn't say "What is is divine?", since that would have made her incorrect according to the original source of the proverb. Although in a proverb, I could see more than one wording being allowed, since they weren't necessarily directly quoting Pope as the source of the saying. Maybe Alex just had a frog in his throat or something, and I read way too much into it.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Great game by all three players, but Tom showed why he was a superchamp in the regular season tonight. I groaned when I saw B, D & A but surprised myself by getting all but the $400 clue (got stuck on Danny Boy). Erin, you played a great game but Tom was a buzzsaw tonight.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Agreed with all who chimed in that this was a great game, my only beef was that if Erin and Justin could ahve had a fighting chance in FJ and actually made FJ matter.

Surprised myself by running a few categories: Mascots for one, and especially on "Before, During and After" - I love the wordplay categories, but responding at home is tough, as I don't count it if I don't get it out before the player does, and considering the responses in BDAs are always long ... (at least I got rid of the "what is" opening to make my responses shorter). I could also have run the "Proverb" category as well, but need a judges' ruling: would "create Him" be acceptable to the given "invent Him" on the $1000 clue?

Can I get half points on FJ? I knew instantly that the clue was referring to Marat's assassin, but I thought her name was "Mary Cassat" (obviously confusing her with the painter). :oops:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alamble

Post by alamble »

jeff6286 wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote: I thought the Olympic mascots category was easier than the category title suggested; you only had to know what city the Olympics had been held in in various years, all pretty recent (as well as being able to get to Sasquatch from Quatchi).
Same here, and I was hoping the category would involve mostly just naming the city from the year or country, because I knew I'd have a heck of a lot better chance at that than actually naming or recognizing those goofy mascots that they always use. I can't believe that I didn't realize until just now that the Vancouver mascot was named Quatchi, as I considered sasquatch for that answer, being in the Pacific Northwest, but decided to clam on it, since I thought a more logical mascot would have been a smaller, cuter mythical creature. Even after the correct response was given and I smacked my forehead, I didn't even make the connection that Quatchi was a totally obvious name for a sasquatch mascot.
The Vancouver Games actually had four mascots, all of which were small and adorable. Mukmuk the marmot is my personal favorite.
Did anyone else wonder why Tom didn't just say "Who are the Bush twins?" on his Daily Double, instead of trying to come up with their first names? They accepted Olsen Twins without requiring first names, so I think they would have to accept it for this clue. For a while I was thinking that $5,200 he lost on the DD would end up costing him the game, if Justin was able to hold the lead going into FJ, but then Tom caught fire in the DJ round, making it a lock game even with a miss on the true DD. I thought the whole twin category was insanely easy for the TOC, topped off by Romulus & Remus in the $1,000 box.
Tom likely would have been prompted if he'd gone simply with "the Bush twins" given that the clue specifically denoted that the girls are named for their grandmothers.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

boson wrote:Tom had more moments than the others, and more near the bottom of the board. Running "Before, During and After" put it away for him.
He didn't quite run it. "O Danny Boy George Steinbrenner" was a triple stumper.

If I may brag a teeny bit, I did run that category. Had each of my responses ready before Alex was done reading the clue. Oh yeah. (How come we don't have a "stretching with a grunt of confidence" smilie?)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

I swept Bond Girls (it helps that I perused EW's Best and Worst Bond Girls list just a day or two ago, otherwise I would have certainly missed the Tiffany Case one), and I think I also swept Opera Costumes if I remember right, which is crazy because like many, Opera is an anti-wheelhouse for me. (Also, who knew Alex had such a theatrical side? Well, I guess it wasn't that hidden... :) ) I almost got all the Before, During, After clues...but that last one, the DD, just wasn't coming to me. Nice job, Tom, on that one.

A great game by all three. Tom, congrats, on your lock against two more than capable players, and Justin and Erin, you guys held your own quite nicely.

FJ was the definition of instaget for me...killing, female, French? Had to be Corday. Her name's stuck in my head from some strange combo of remembering the painting, the fact that her name is an alliteration, and learning about it briefly in 9th grade history, IIRC.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My only miss in the Twins was the DD. I guess first ladies' mothers is something we need to study before the TOC.

I also missed Danny Boy in BD&A, but the rest were pretty simple.

Another 4/5 in mascots, missing only Sasquatch.

No chance in FJ. Went for Joan just to have something, but knew she was wrong. I'm not familiar with the story about Corday, so I was sunk there.

Went 0/5 in Bond girls. I've tried to watch a Bond movie a couple times, but turned them off after five minutes out of boredom every time.