Daily Double Distribution?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Daily Double Distribution?

Post by Wheatley »

This is something I've been wondering about, and can't find a straight answer for online - How do you hunt for Daily Doubles? I know that they're almost never on the top row, and very rarely on the second, but beyond that, is there any strategy besides hunt and peck the high value clues? Are subject materials more likely to house one? I saw someone saying in the 6/2 game thread that there was no way they'd put a daily Double in "Three Letter Animal Words."

I always thought it was pseudo-randomly placed, eg 15% chance of being in the second row, 20% chance of being in the third, 35% in the forth, and 30% in the bottom, regardless of what the particular clue said.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
geolawyerman
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Daily Double Distribution?

Post by geolawyerman »

I think Arthur Chu once mentioned that they are in more academic categories, so you'd probably want to look in "World Capitals" instead of "Taylor Swift's Boyfriends"
2016 Teen Tournament contestant
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I've also heard they are more likely to be in the leftmost column as well (or the two left-most), fwiw.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hscer

Post by hscer »

dhkendall wrote:I've also heard they are more likely to be in the leftmost column as well (or the two left-most), fwiw.
I think Watson, and since then Brad Rutter, always go for "Leftmost column, second-highest value" as soon as they can in DJ.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

It varies slowly over time, but it pretty consistent within one season. Go into the J! Archive and count where all the Daily Doubles appeared this season (use different charts for the J! and the DJ! rounds, as they have different distributions). You'll find that certain specific spaces are vastly overrepresented. If you memorize six or seven spaces in each of the two rounds, you can give yourself a better than even chance of finding at least two of the Daily Doubles in any given game (assuming you can get control of the board).

If that seems like too much work, you probably shouldn't try out for the show.

Rex
Zyzzyva
Valued Contributor

Post by Zyzzyva »

I suspect the boardmasters will avoid placing DDs in "quick draw" categories like Stupid Answers, video brainteasers, and Carmen Sandiego-style "name the country."
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

The only times DDs are randomly placed is when one is uncovered by mistake and has to be replaced. We were explicitly told this in the Green Room (in 2008, but I can't imagine something like that has changed).
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

How would a DD be uncovered "by mistake?"
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

If the board shows a clue the player did not select, or if Alex gives control of the board to the wrong person and that person picks the DD, that would constitute a mistake. When Maggie was going over that with us, I had to wonder if either of those things had ever happened.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

nightreign wrote:If the board shows a clue the player did not select, or if Alex gives control of the board to the wrong person and that person picks the DD, that would constitute a mistake. When Maggie was going over that with us, I had to wonder if either of those things had ever happened.
I think that did happen once (wrong player given control and a DD was picked). I'm sure someone will correct/support me.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Zyzzyva wrote:I suspect the boardmasters will avoid placing DDs in "quick draw" categories like Stupid Answers, video brainteasers, and Carmen Sandiego-style "name the country."
I'm sure I've seen it in the latter (which is always my Yell At The TV Moment - specifically "*That's* the Daily Double???")
nightreign wrote:If the board shows a clue the player did not select, or if Alex gives control of the board to the wrong person and that person picks the DD, that would constitute a mistake. When Maggie was going over that with us, I had to wonder if either of those things had ever happened.
I've heard mention of it happening enough times on the board to know that it's a thing that has happened a few times.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

econgator wrote:
I think that did happen once (wrong player given control and a DD was picked). I'm sure someone will correct/support me.
I am sure that happened many times, but you wouldn't see it on TV.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Rex Kramer wrote:It varies slowly over time, but it pretty consistent within one season. Go into the J! Archive and count where all the Daily Doubles appeared this season (use different charts for the J! and the DJ! rounds, as they have different distributions). You'll find that certain specific spaces are vastly overrepresented. If you memorize six or seven spaces in each of the two rounds, you can give yourself a better than even chance of finding at least two of the Daily Doubles in any given game (assuming you can get control of the board).

If that seems like too much work, you probably shouldn't try out for the show.

Rex
Oooh, this sounds almost like what that infamous "Press Your Luck" contestant did!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzNMCXWCZzQ
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

No worries Rex, I think I could handle that. It's like nothing in comparison to that Press Your Luck feat.
Zyzzyva
Valued Contributor

Post by Zyzzyva »

dhkendall wrote:I'm sure I've seen it in the latter (which is always my Yell At The TV Moment - specifically "*That's* the Daily Double???")
My favorite one is when Joon doubled up late in DJ in mental arithmetic. Hell, I was taking cash out of my wallet and throwing it at the television.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Wheatley wrote:This is something I've been wondering about, and can't find a straight answer for online - How do you hunt for Daily Doubles?
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cult ... art_holder
armorie
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by armorie »

gnash wrote:
econgator wrote:
I am sure that happened many times, but you wouldn't see it on TV.
some disgruntled editor should leak a blooper reel
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Zyzzyva wrote:My favorite one is when Joon doubled up late in DJ in mental arithmetic.
that's my favorite too.

(but it really was there the whole time—there were no irregularities in taping that would have required its placement to change once the show started.)