Thursday, November 10, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 10, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6244, 2011-11-10

2011 Tournament of Champions semifinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Kara Spak, a newspaper reporter from Chicago, Illinois
Jay Rhee, an oncologist from Annapolis, Maryland
Buddy Wright, an operations engineer from Fort Worth, Texas

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And you, too, ladies and gentlemen. Well, you have met our "threesome"...

[Laughter]

Alex: ...for this second semifinal match. And each of them, Kara, Jay, and Buddy, are hoping to do as well as Tom yesterday. Good luck to you. Here we go--the Jeopardy! Round. And these are your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EUROPEAN GEOGRAPHY (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE 2011 EMMYS (5/5)
MILITARY WIVES (4/5)
AUTOBIOGRAPHIES (3/5)
STORAGE (4/5)
JEOPORTMANTEAU (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jay: 11 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Buddy: 11 R (including 4 rebounds), 4 W
Kara: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 6 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jay: $1,800
Buddy: $400
Kara: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kara Spak is from Chicago, and, Kara, your five winning appearances early on on our program enabled you to reconnect in a way with your late father, right?

Kara: Yeah, that's right. I got, um, many, many wonderful letters and notes from people, but there was one that really stood out. My father went to University of Notre Dame and I went there also with two of my brothers, and my father passed away after my sophomore year in college. And his college roommate saw me on the show, and he and his wife, um, made a little bit of an effort to track me down and get in touch with me. And he sent me, sort of, this beautiful letter about what he remembered from being my father's roommate in college. [Voice breaking] And so it really made me feel like my dad was part of the experience. So thank you.

Alex: Good, good.

Alex: Now, Jay Rhee, if you're in show business and you do well, say on Celebrity Jeopardy! you might be written up in The Hollywood Reporter, or Variety magazine. But if you're an oncologist as you are, it's a different sort of thing. You were written up in what?

Jay: The ASCO Connection--it's the American Society of Clinical Oncology newsletter.

Alex: And they were asking you about your appearance on Jeopardy! I hope?

Jay: Yes, we actually had one talk during my original run about genetic mutations and how they confer, uh, prognostic features in certain malignancies. So they, um, took that and ran with that a little bit.

[Laughter]

Alex: I asked.

Alex: Buddy Wright from Fort Worth, Texas, works at an aerospace company, and you won close to $90,000. What'd you do with the dough?

Buddy: Uh, we paid off a bunch of credit cards, dropped off the kids, and took off to Vegas.

Alex: Thank you. That's what I wanted to hear.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jay found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Buddy had $2,200, Jay had $6,000, and Kara had a deficit with -$1,600. Jay wagered $2,000.

EUROPEAN GEOGRAPHY $800: Ports on this bay include Bilbao, Spain & Bayonne, France

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STORAGE $200: The SSA, this association, says its members control 2 1/4 billion square feet

AUTOBIOGRAPHIES $600: An actor:
"My Wicked, Wicked Ways"
(Buddy: Who is Charlie Sheen?)

AUTOBIOGRAPHIES $800: A songwriter:
"Bound for Glory"
(Kara: Who is Bruce Springsteen?)

MILITARY WIVES $1000: That's the former Beatrice Ayer, gazing up at this husband of hers

EUROPEAN GEOGRAPHY $200: Alphabetically, the countries in Europe run from Albania to this tiny landlocked nation
(Kara: What is Uzbekistan?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jay: $8,000
Buddy: $3,200
Kara: -$1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 10, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LADS NAMED VLAD (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GIVE THE ORDER (0/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Next, we'll deal with the classification of organisms in [*]--the taxonomic order.)
THE MAN BOOKER PRIZE (5/5)
POP CULTURE (4/5)
2 VS, PLEASE (3/5)
ECONOMIST DANCE PARTY (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kara: 6 R, 0 W
Buddy: 6 R, 0 W
Jay: 8 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jay snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Buddy had $8,000, Jay had $12,800, and Kara was at $4,400. Jay wagered $4,000.

LADS NAMED VLAD $2000: In 1929, while working for RCA, this inventor & engineer demonstrated the first practical all-electronic TV
(Alex: Anything?)
(Jay: No, I'm sorry.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jay who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Buddy had $8,000, Jay had $8,800, and Kara was at $4,400. Jay wagered $1,200.

GIVE THE ORDER $1200: The grizzly bear & the gray wolf
(Jay: What is ursus?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POP CULTURE $2000: Got that song "Pumped Up Kicks" stuck in your head? Blame this trio led by Mark Foster

2 VS, PLEASE $1600: 8-letter adjective preceding "procedure", as when a scalpel is required
(Jay: What is vivisection?)

2 VS, PLEASE $1200: Adjective meaning unforgiving or vengeful

ECONOMIST DANCE PARTY $1600: In honor of "Alas, Brazil", a 1999 article by this newspaper columnist & 2008 Nobel winner, it's time to lambada

GIVE THE ORDER $1600: The gypsy moth

GIVE THE ORDER $2000: The platypus
(Jay: Uh, what is Echidnia?)

GIVE THE ORDER $800: The chinchilla

GIVE THE ORDER $400: The gorilla

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Buddy: $10,800
Jay: $6,400
Kara: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HOLLYWOOD HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Buddy: Wager $2,001 to cover Jay.
Jay: You have the hope of surpassing Buddy if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $4,401 to force Buddy to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Kara.
Kara: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $5,198 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
They were the first 2 sisters ever nominated for the same acting Oscar in the same year

FINAL SCORES
Kara: $5,200 - $5,188 = $12 (Who are [scribble] Anna + Miriam Spak?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Jay: $6,400 - $6,400 = $0 (Who are Vanessa and Lynn Redgrave?) (3rd place: $10,000)
Buddy: $10,800 - $2,001 = $8,799 (Who are Eva and Zsa Zsa?) (Finalist)
(Alex: [To Kara] Your sisters?)
(Kara: My nieces.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Buddy: $10,800, 17 R, 4 W
Jay: $10,400, 19 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Kara: $5,200, 9 R, 6 W
Combined Coryat: $26,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Jay: 19/61 = .311
Buddy: 17/58 = .293
Kara: 9/58 = .155
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AUTOBIOGRAPHIES $1000: An architect:
"Inside the Third Reich"
(Buddy: Who is Eichmann?)

THE 2011 EMMYS $1000: This best director was a raging bull in an Emmy shop for his work on "Boardwalk Empire"
(Buddy: Who is De Niro?)

JEOPORTMANTEAU $200: U.S. chief executive plus prosthetic teeth
(Kara: What is... president dentures?)

JEOPORTMANTEAU $600: Additional note at the end of a letter plus revered texts
(Kara: What is P.S. sacred?)

STORAGE $600: Store your manly possessions using a gun, bat or pipe type of this 4-letter word
(Buddy: What is a safe?)
(Jay: What is a case?)
[Initially ruled incorrect; reversed before the Daily Double at clue 29]

STORAGE $1000: In 1955 the Sentry company made the first one of these classified as fire-resistant
(Kara: What is a lock box?)

MILITARY WIVES $200: Her married life began in military housing in San Antonio in 1916; 37 years & 22 moves brought her to the White House
(Jay: Who is Lady Bird Johnson?)

MILITARY WIVES $600: In 1824 David Farragut married Susan Marchant of this Virginia city & made that port his home
(Kara: What is Newport News?)

EUROPEAN GEOGRAPHY $400: We're counting on your knowing that the Firth of Forth is an estuary in this country
(Jay: What is the United Kingdom?)
(Alex: United Kingdom? Be more specific.)

EUROPEAN GEOGRAPHY $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) Beginning northwest of Moscow and flowing 2,300 miles to the Caspian Sea, this river is the longest in Europe

POP CULTURE $1200: We are royally mad about this British-born host

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Bay of Biscay
Self Storage
Errol Flynn
Woody Guthrie
General George Patton
Vatican City
Vladimir Zworykin
carnivore
Foster the People
invasive
vindictive
Paul Krugman
Lepidoptera
monotremes
rodent
primate
Joan Fontaine & Olivia de Havilland
(Albert) Speer
Martin Scorsese
presidentures
postscripture
rack
a safe
Mamie Eisenhower
Norfolk
Scotland
the Volga
(Cat) Deeley
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 10, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Hollywood History
They were the first 2 sisters ever nominated for the same acting Oscar in the same year.
Spoiler
Who were Joan Fontaine and Olivia DeHavilland? (in 1942) Kara said her nieces, Anna & Miriam Spak. Jay said Vanessa and Lynn Redgrave. Buddy said Eva & Zsa Zsa [Gabor].
Buddy Wright: $10,800-$2,001=$8,799
Jay Rhee: $6,400-$6,400=$0
Kara Spak: $5,200-$5,188=$12
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

That meltdown by Jay was painful to watch. He was doing so well, and then... boom. Reminds me of Ken's downfall.
Last edited by heelsrule1988 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Ouch. These boards seemed pretty hard and the game was painful to watch at times. The J round hurt Buddy and Kara, whereas Jay faltered a bit in the DJ round. That order category was brutal. As for FJ, even if you had spotted me the first names, I wouldn't have come up with the correct response.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

That FJ was an instaget for me! Second-guessing with Dorothy and Lillian Gish, but ruled them out. Anyone could have won at the end! ZsaZsa and Eva? Really? Kara couldn't think of anyone? At least the Redgrave sisters was a sensible guess, if a couple of decades late.

Don't mind me...can't help kvelling at getting a TS FJ in the TOC.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Rough game for Jay, good night for me. I picked up several triple stumpers and cruised through FJ, though I expect Joan and Olivia will garner one of the lowest "get" percentages of the season among board members. Rarely have I seen three contestants more frozen immediately after the FJ reveal. Because the actresses did not go by the same last name, I didn't expect any of them would come up with it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Thursday, November 10, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILER

Post by seaborgium »

I felt Jay shot himself in the foot with his DD hunting this time around, especially in the orders category. Carnivores was the only one I didn't know, and maybe they would have gotten more if the clues had been played in order (get it!?), but Jay probably would have wagered differently had he been a few clues into the category.

Failure on FJ for me. I thought of the Redgraves and de Havilland/Fontaine, but I didn't know if the latter pair were nominated in the same year, and I decided to write both pairs down (with my surreptitious pen and slip of paper in the studio). I finished the Redgraves, and it was too late to write anything else.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

These boards felt like the easiest of the entire TOC to me, almost likely regular game boards (slight bump in difficulty), even got a couple triple stumpers (Foster the People was probably just getting hot when this taped, so that's fine, a little surprised on Chinchilla and Gorilla going for silence). Was a real confidence booster of a board for me, but the clues that cost players would have cost me too. Granted, the fact that they had 2011 Emmys, Pop Culture, and "Vlads" had to have helped me. Portmanteaus went a ton better for me than BMA yesterday

I am so happy for Buddy. It was hard to see Jay meltdown like that, but all three put up a good fight and Buddy's reaction was just awesome. So happy for him.

You could have given me five years and their first names and I would have never gotten that FJ. I hate to sound like TPH, but man, these FJs have been completely dominating me.

And I said Laffey for Laffer. My poor Coryat.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Instaget on FJ for me too. Just one of those chestnuts you see rather often if you're a movie geek.

Congrats to Buddy! Well done. It did suck to see Jay lose his mojo at the end there. Kara never quite got in there, unfortunately.

Alex got on my nerves in this game a bit. And it pissed me off he went tugging on Kara's heartstrings basically in the middle of the game.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Looked as though there was an edit after Alex revealed the correct response and the wager was revealed, because instead of asking for the wager, ALex just said Buddy wins the game, which was pretty obvious to most of us given the scores of Kara and Jay at that point. A lot of wrong answers and triple stumpers but they still got both boards played though.
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker »

Usually boards as tough as these (and they were beyond the usual ToC level) lead into a soft FJ. Not today. I got to deHavilland but somehow paired her with Vivien Leigh.

It may be my period of withdrawal after getting out of the pool, but this was the kind of show that had me glad that I wasn't watching it with J! pen in hand.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

heelsrule1988 wrote:That meltdown by Jay was painful to watch. He was doing so well, and then... boom. Reminds me of Ken's downfall.

Ken's downfall? When he was still in the lead at the end of DJ! in game 75? Or when Rutter in 2005 or Watson in 2011 beat him?
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Look who's back doing Coryats for you all! Hope to do this more often for games.

In any event, here we go:

BUDDY: $10,800
JAY: $9,200* (incl. 1 correct, 2 incorrect Daily Doubles)
KARA: $5,200

As with (and as of) tonight, I will be using an asterisk (*) to denote if a ruling was reversed for a particular player on a given clue, good or bad. This is NOT reflected in the actual Coryat score, as per the rules of Coryat scores. And should such an event arise, multiple asterisks will be used for multiple ruling reversals by TPTB.

EDIT: Fixed Jay's score, it had a period instead of a comma separating the thousands and hundreds digits.
Last edited by NoWhammies10 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Buddy on the win, and congrats to Jay and Kara on their stellar ToC performances!

I hate to say it, but...this board was garbage. I don't blame Jay, Kara, and Buddy at all for the low scores. Those Laffer and Pavlov clues at $2000 with the cutesy TOMs had no place at all on a ToC board. I cannot believe the difference in quality between last night's board and this one.

Oddly enough, the DD where Jay wagered $4000 was one where I thought he should have bet small. I would have gone all in on the European Geography one in the J! round.

When I saw the FJ category I thought that it would be good for Jay and Kara. I had never even heard of one of the actresses who was a correct response for it. Movies are a weak category for me so I can't comment on the quality of the clue.

Tomorrow's match has the potential to be the greatest game of J! ever. If the board ends up being as low quality as this one I may throw things at the tv.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

As to the guesses by the players, Jay's was by far the best. Lynn Redgrave was nominated for Best Actress for 1966's Georgy Girl, while Vanessa was nominated for 1966's Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment. Wow, I thought they screwed up for a second when I realized that the Redgrave sisters were indeed nominated in the same year. I had to go back and re-read the question to realize that they asked for the first 2 sisters to be nominated in the same year. That is a nasty break for Jay that he was actually the only one of the 3 to come up with a remotely plausible answer, and his did actually fit the clue given, they just weren't the first.

I can't believe Buddy didn't even list the last name of Eva and Zsa Zsa. I'm guessing he meant it as a joke answer, but even if he thought there was a 0.01% chance that it was correct, why wouldn't he have taken a half-second to scribble Gabor?

As for me, my bad guess was Katharine and Audrey Hepburn. I wonder how big of a laugh that would have gotten in the studio, as somehow I've managed to live for over 30 years, much of which came in the age of the internet, without ever coming across anything pointing out the fact that these two actress were not related to each other. I also was unsure of the relative age of the two, so I wasn't even sure if they made more sense as sisters or as mother/daughter. It turns out that Audrey was born 22 years later. If not for that minor detail, it would have been a pretty darn good guess, as they were both nominated for Best Actress in 1960 and 1968. I'm guessing that if I had tuned into the Oscars in either of those years, I might have figured out that the British actress Audrey Hepburn was not related to the American actress Katharine Hepburn. Did anyone else out there ever not know if these 2 same-named actresses were related?
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

jeff6286 wrote:Did anyone else out there ever not know if these 2 same-named actresses were related?
I was just about to post the same thing. I absolutely cannot believe I never knew that before! :oops:
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Was the whole Order category a bust? I definitely think Jay shot himself in the foot a bit by diving into the middle of that one. I ended up getting primate, monotreme, and rodent, and kicking myself over lepidoptera. Carnivore made perfect sense, but I wasn't used to the category yet.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Hardest boards of the tournament. No runs at all, even in usual strengths such as European Geography. I knew Jay's DD hunting would bite him when he hit the Order DD.

No prayer at all in FJ, Yes I would've entered Zsa Zsa and Eva as a joke answer. Some of you take Hollywood way too seriously.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

FJ for me was basically "Olivia de Havilland and her sister! What's her sister's name?!?!? crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap 5 seconds left JOAN FONTAINE!!!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.