Sports Jeopardy

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Sports Jeopardy

Post by CoachP »

Robert K S wrote:I imagine the show will be taped on the regular Jeopardy! set... was there any indication that it wouldn't be?
I also took the test this morning-I believe the rep from Crackle mentioned that it would be a sports bar themed set, but nobody had seen it yet. Not sure if it would be taped in the same studio.
LaxTarheel, were you in the 9am group? Sorry you didn't make the cut-I didn't either. I thought maybe there were closer to 180 folks in the group.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

I had a try out this morning in Culver City as well and can add a few details.

The show will film in front of a studio audience on the same set as regular Jeopardy on the Sony lot.
They will film in August, January and April.
There will be some tweaks to the regular Jeopardy format though they were not specific what those might be. There will be single Jeopardy, double Jeopardy, daily doubles, final Jeopardy. But they want to allow more of Dan Patrick's personality to come out. They appear to want the atmosphere to be more fun within the existing structure.
When broadcast on Crackle, each episode will have the same running time as regular Jeopardy.
There will probably not be a celebrity Sports Jeopardy episode or episodes.
Casting decisions will be made by Maggie, Jimmy, Corina and Amy (I think that was her name).

To my observation, there were more people in the crowd who were Dan Patrick fans vs. Jeopardy fans. But the 24 who passed the test (including me) seemed to be mostly Jeopardy people.

Good luck to those who will be auditioning in the other cities. Have fun!
Last edited by Spiny Norman on Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

Robert K S wrote:TMZ has posted 12 audition clues.
They "obtained" the sample clues from the Sports Jeopardy webpage. Groundbreaking stuff, TMZ.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

jjwaymee wrote:
Robert K S wrote:TMZ has posted 12 audition clues.
They "obtained" the sample clues from the Sports Jeopardy webpage. Groundbreaking stuff, TMZ.
The given answer to the first question is also wrong. The career stolen base leader prior to Lou Brock was not Ty Cobb. It was Billy Hamilton (the one who played MLB at the turn of the 20th century, not the one who plays for Cincinnati now).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leade ... reer.shtml
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Potentially dumb question:

Sports Jeopardy! is not going to change the format of the regular game is it? By this I mean, they won't be having a Triple Jeopardy! round, or offering a Weekly Triple, or anything like this. (for one thing, while both Double Jeopardy and Daily Double have meanings outside of Jeopardy!, those two terms would be completely ham-fisted; for another thing, the game format has been perfect for half a century, why change it? 61 clues is so nice).

I don't imagine they would, but you never know if some higher-up assumes sports fans are knuckleheads and need gimmickry to stay interested.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

RKane wrote:Potentially dumb question:

Sports Jeopardy! is not going to change the format of the regular game is it? By this I mean, they won't be having a Triple Jeopardy! round, or offering a Weekly Triple, or anything like this. (for one thing, while both Double Jeopardy and Daily Double have meanings outside of Jeopardy!, those two terms would be completely ham-fisted; for another thing, the game format has been perfect for half a century, why change it? 61 clues is so nice).

I don't imagine they would, but you never know if some higher-up assumes sports fans are knuckleheads and need gimmickry to stay interested.
The producers were circumspect about what changes they might make for Sports Jeopardy. Could be that they are still test-playing different variations. But they did indicate that they want more video clues read by sports personalities. Video clues can take longer than regular clues. More banter from Dan Patrick could add more time. They would have to cut time somewhere. We might see fewer than 61 clues. Maybe 5 categories instead of 6. But this is just my speculation. I have no inside knowledge.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I know this is online, but will they have commercials? Are the episodes going to be exactly 30 minutes long?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I know this is online, but will they have commercials? Are the episodes going to be exactly 30 minutes long?
I'm guessing the commercials will be the same way they have the commercials in the "Flashback" episodes (a non-fast-forwardable commercial set with the same ads all the time at the spots commercials normally run in.) The "Flashback" episodes are the only things I've seen at Crackle, but I imagine all the stuff on there have commercials in that format.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Spiny Norman wrote:The given answer to the first question is also wrong. The career stolen base leader prior to Lou Brock was not Ty Cobb. It was Billy Hamilton (the one who played MLB at the turn of the 20th century, not the one who plays for Cincinnati now).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leade ... reer.shtml
No no no. These records are modern era only by default. Besides, since Lou was my favorite player I vividly remember the chase to pass Cobb. Not Hamilton.

Otherwise you're going to start spouting that the single season strikeout leader is not Nolan Ryan, it's Matt Kilroy. And Ryan is now in 8th place on that list. Yeah right.
scfromor
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by scfromor »

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I was at the Sports Jeopardy in LA last Saturday (passed the test and got to play around with the buzzer for a few moments). I had a couple of thoughts based on what I read here:

1. I agree with Spiny Norman that the producers were circumspect as to what we might see on the show. They were asking the participants for ideas about the show and the questions. The producers also definitely wanted a more fun-based approach to this version than the regular version. What happens afterwards is frankly anybody's guess.

2. I didn't get the sense that there was a regional (in this example LA) bias to the practice questions or to the test itself. I seriously doubt that studying local teams would help anyone in getting on the show. The producers specifically asked the participants NOT to discuss the questions so that is the most I will say.

At this point, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I get the call.....
Sean Cole
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
laxtarheel wrote:Please let me know if I've shared too much. I hope this helps and good luck to those trying out later this month.
Interesting stuff. The qualifying exam would have given you a sense of the scope of the material. What qualifies as "sport(s)"? Auto racing? Hunting and fishing? Texas Hold 'Em? Dog shows?
I think you would be better off not asking an auditioner to reveal any specifics about the qualifying test, even if they are just "general" specifics.
Just call me Mr. Slugworth.
goongas

Post by goongas »

They are airing it on their own network that is not precipitated on a schedule. Why does it have to come in at a certain time? The only thing I can think of is if they eventually want to sell it to a cable network like GSN or ESPN.
georgetrev
Contributor

Post by georgetrev »

goongas wrote:They are airing it on their own network that is not precipitated on a schedule. Why does it have to come in at a certain time? The only thing I can think of is if they eventually want to sell it to a cable network like GSN or ESPN.
If that happens, NBCSN would likely have the show, considering Patrick is an NBC employee.
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker »

Chicago audition letters (Sunday, July 13) are out. I'm old. I'm slow. And I'm hoping to catch lightning in a jar.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

happybooker wrote:Chicago audition letters (Sunday, July 13) are out. I'm old. I'm slow. And I'm hoping to catch lightning in a jar.
Yep, I got mine, too. Sunday afternoon would not have been at the top of my list of choices. Although this was my closest audition location, still trying to decide whether it is worth the 12 hour round trip drive.
Sheepin' it real.
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

Just got an invite for Saturday July 19 in NYC.

Apparently, it's easier to get an audition from just signing up for Sports Jeopardy than it is to get one from getting a passing score on the online test for regular Jeopardy. (At least in my experience.) But I'll take what I can get!
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

lincoln23 wrote:Just got an invite for Saturday July 19 in NYC.

Apparently, it's easier to get an audition from just signing up for Sports Jeopardy than it is to get one from getting a passing score on the online test for regular Jeopardy. (At least in my experience.) But I'll take what I can get!
Hey, me too. Perhaps I'll see you there.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

zakharov wrote: Hey, me too. Perhaps I'll see you there.
My appointment is at 9 AM, so I'm just hoping that I'll actually see me there. Good luck with your test/audition!
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

Would someone please be kind enough to tell me how or what you had to do for an email? I should've gotten one for Chicago since I signed up but never received my email. I wish I knew where the venue was.