Monday, June 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6856, 2014-06-09

CONTESTANTS
Jack Barry, a chief financial officer from Raleigh, North Carolina
Heather Heffner, an attorney from St. Louis, Missouri
Molly Lalonde, a pediatric nurse practitioner student from Nashville, Tennessee (whose 2-day cash winnings total $26,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: All right, thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome back to our champion Molly. Heather and Jack are the newcomers. They are hoping to enjoy a certain amount of luck on the program today. So good luck to all three of you. Let's find out if it works. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round, and today we have these categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN CITIES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
YOU CAN QUOTE ME (3/5)
SPORTS TALK (5/5)
STUPID ANSWERS (4/5)
STOP! HEY, WHAT'S THAT SOUND? (5/5)
EVERYBODY LOOK WHAT'S GOING "DOWN" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jack: 9 R, 1 W
Molly: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Heather: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Molly found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Molly had $1,400, Heather had $400, and Jack was at $800. Molly made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

AMERICAN CITIES $1000: The southernmost major city on the U.S. mainland, it had a population of only 343 when the railroad arrived in 1896
(Molly: What is Phoenix?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Heather: $2,000
Jack: $600
Molly: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I'm very curious about Jack Barry's work. He is C.F.O. for a company that does what?

Jack: We make the world's most efficient solar module using the world's smallest solar cells. And the way we do that is we put 1,600 suns onto a cell that's only about a third of a square millimeter.

Alex: So you guys could create smaller solar--solar panels for homeowners, right?

Jack: Uh, exactly right. For homeowners and also solar for the grid. You know, up to tens of megawatts.

Alex: Now in the last year, last year or two, a certain number of solar companies, solar panel companies, uh, went bankrupt. I hope --

Jack: It--it's been tough. It's been tough.

Alex: Yeah? What's the toughest thing about it? Is it that the Chinese are preparing and--and presenting materials that are better than yours?

Jack: It's not so much that they're better. The Chinese really built up a tremendous amount of capacity over the last five years. And so supply exceeded demand, which really sent prices down. So if you don't have top-notch technology like we do, uh, you're in trouble.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Heather Heffner is an attorney from St. Louis, and I will assume a St. Louis Cardinals baseball fan.

Heather: Yes.

Alex: Because something in your life happened that was very important at a game.

Heather: Yes. Uh, many years ago, I was at a baseball game with my then-boyfriend, now-husband Drew, and a pop fly came my way. And like any sane person, I ducked. And when I looked up, he was holding the ball over my head.

Alex: In his hand.

Heather: Yes. So I feel very safe with him since I married him because of that.

Alex: Good for you. You're always safe with him at baseball games.

Heather: Exactly.

Alex: Molly Lalonde is our champion. She met her husband not at a baseball game. Where?

Molly: At a bar.

Alex: Which bar? A famous one.

Molly: A famous one. Uh, it's called Corby's from the movie Rudy. Uh, we went to Notre Dame, and that kind of our good Notre Dame meeting story.

Alex: So you're a big Notre Dame football fan.

Molly: Huge. Uh-huh.

Alex: Okay, good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
YOU CAN QUOTE ME $400: About his upcoming opponent Billy Conn, this boxing champ remarked, "He can run, but he can't hide"
(Molly: Who is Muhammed Ali?)

YOU CAN QUOTE ME $1000: Lord Acton famously said, this "tends to corrupt"

STUPID ANSWERS $1000: This son of Gutzon Borglum put the finishing touches on Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln & Teddy Roosevelt on Mt. Rushmore
(Molly: Who is Lincoln Gutzon?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jack: $5,200
Heather: $3,600
Molly: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NOVELS & NOVELISTS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE CENTURY'S FIRST YEAR (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CARIBBEAN CUISINE (5/5)
GLANDS & ORGANS (5/5)
ACTORS' ROLES (5/5)
BEFORE & AFTER (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Molly: 13 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Heather: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jack: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Molly snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Molly had $11,200, Heather had $4,800, and Jack was at $5,200. Molly wagered $3,000.

NOVELS & NOVELISTS $2000: This 1906 novel was partly inspired by an article in the San Francisco Chronicle called "The Call of the Tame"
(Molly: What is The Call of the Wild?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Heather who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Molly had $9,400, Heather had $10,400, and Jack was at $7,200. Heather wagered $1,000.

THE CENTURY'S FIRST YEAR $1200: On July 3, 1801 this U.S. inventor's Nautilus submarine descended to a depth of 25 feft in a test in France
(Heather: I have no idea.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BEFORE & AFTER $1200: Pro-free market movement that emerged in 2009 as a hit with the line "The Jay-Z song was on"

BEFORE & AFTER $2000: Piscine term for someone not in his element, that being beneath the Verrazano-Narrows

THE CENTURY'S FIRST YEAR $800: In 1501 Rodrigo de Bastidas sailed west from Colombia & became the first European to reach this isthmus

THE CENTURY'S FIRST YEAR $1600: According to tradition, it was founded on Sept. 3, 301; it's still a republic on the Italian peninsula

THE CENTURY'S FIRST YEAR $2000: Australia's first parliament opened on May 9, 1901 in this city in the state of Victoria
(Heather: What is Queensland?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Molly: $14,200
Heather: $8,200
Jack: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE MEDITERRANEAN

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Molly: Wager $2,201 to cover Heather.
Heather: You have the hope of surpassing Molly if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,001 to force Molly to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Jack.
Jack: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $7,598 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the only U.N. member country in the Mediterranean where English is an official national language

FINAL SCORES
Jack: $7,600 - $5,000 = $2,600 (What is Vatican City?) (2nd place)
Heather: $8,200 - $8,000 = $200 (What is Cyprus?) (3rd place)
Molly: $14,200 - $2,300 = $11,900 (What is Morocco?) (26601-day champion: $11,900)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Molly: $18,600, 23 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Heather: $9,200, 14 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jack: $7,600, 12 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $35,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Molly: 23/60 = .383
Heather: 14/59 = .237
Jack: 12/58 = .207
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AMERICAN CITIES $200: Once part of New Sweden, this Pennsylvania city is found where the Schuylkill River meets the Delaware River
(Heather: What is Pittsburgh?)

AMERICAN CITIES $600: This city of 2 million people--we have no problem

SPORTS TALK $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a racetrack diagram on a monitor.) At the start of a NASCAR race, the top cars line up according to their qualifying times; best time gets this 2-word spot, a term said to have originated in horse racing

YOU CAN QUOTE ME $800: On March 4, 1966 John Lennon made the scandalous remark, "We're more popular than" him "now"
(Jack: Uh, who is God?)

SPORTS TALK $400: In 1996 MLB expanded this area, moving one boundary from the top to the bottom of the batter's knees
[Alex reads "MLB" as "Major League Baseball".]

SPORTS TALK $200: In a racquet sport, you whack this object seen here

STOP! HEY, WHAT'S THAT SOUND? $200: This huge mammal sounds like it's enjoying a bath in an African river
(Alex: You're right, with less than a minute to go.)

STOP! HEY, WHAT'S THAT SOUND? $400: Ever wanted to know how to ask, "Where is the train station?" in this language?

STOP! HEY, WHAT'S THAT SOUND? $600: Buckeyes, cover your ears--here's the fight song of this Big 10 school

STOP! HEY, WHAT'S THAT SOUND? $800: G'day! This instrument can be 5 feet long

STOP! HEY, WHAT'S THAT SOUND? $1000: Oops! Is "Malpractice Lawsuit" the sequel to this Hasbro game?

GLANDS & ORGANS $2000: These 2-inch-long glands sit on top of the kidneys & produce steroids
[Applause for Molly's run of the category]
(Alex: Hey, you're probably gonna get an A in your class in, uh, nursing. You're in the lead now
with $8,000.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Miami
Joe Louis
power
Lincoln Borglum
White Fang
Robert Fulton
Tea Party in the USA
fish out of water under the bridge
Panama
San Marino
Melbourne
Malta
Philadelphia
Houston
pole position
Jesus
the strike zone
a shuttlecock
a hippopotamus
(Mandarin) Chinese
the University of Michigan
a didgeridoo
Operation
the adrenal glands
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The Mediterranean
It's the only U.N. member country in the Mediterranean where English is an official national language.

Spoiler
What is Malta? Jack said Vatican City; Heather said Cyprus; Molly said Morocco.

Molly Lalonde: $14,200-2,300=$11,900...now a 3-day champion with $38,500
Heather Heffner: $8,200-$8,000=$200
Jack Barry: $7,600-$5,000=$2,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

SAotD: Stand-and-stare when spotted Spanish explorer and "isthmus"???

Thanks for the D. H. Lawrence clue, since we were essentially asked to identify him from "David Herbert". I've mentioned before that the "D. H." in "D. H. Lawrence" and the "dh" in "dhkendall" stand for the same thing.

Instaget FJ, although I realize it might be hard for non-geography nuts. (And Cyprus wasn't a bad guess at all). I wonder how the rest of the board fared.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote: (And Cyprus wasn't a bad guess at all).
Much better guess than two non-island countries, one of which isn't even in the UN. Maybe they thought it said "on the Mediterranean", but that still doesn't include the Vatican.

I also had Cyprus.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Any suggestions on keeping Philadelphia/Pittsburgh straight? I had to get that on the rebound.

Quotes for $200 was almost a Stupid Answers.

So what precluded Key West on American Cities for $1000? That was my only miss.

I knew the MLK quote was "____ God Almighty", but wasn't sure whether it was "thank" or "praise". Joe Louis was the only one in that category I had no idea on.

Rundowns exist in baseball? Hippos make noise?! Huh?!?

Stupid Answers continues to thumb its nose at me. NHO "American Tragedy", and "Lincoln Borglum" was incredibly tough IMO.

Seriously, what led to Chinese on Stop for $400? Unless you know precisely what Chinese sounds like, that just as easily could've been Japanese, Korean. And I only knew it was Asian because the closed captioning said so. Without captions on, it might as well have been Swahili. Or Martian.

Got everything but "conch" in Caribbean Food. My only other gets were $400 in Glands/Organs and Before & After. The rest of the DJ! round was totally beyond me.

No guess on FJ! Malta's a country?! I honestly thought it was just an island that was part of another country.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

dhkendall wrote:SAotD: Stand-and-stare when spotted Spanish explorer and "isthmus"???
Oh I had already screamed myself hoarse when '_____ tends to corrupt' was a stand-and-stare TS.

Got FJ by process of elimination. Where the hell did those two guesses come from?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:So what precluded Key West on American Cities for $1000? That was my only miss.
Mainland
TenPoundHammer wrote:Any suggestions on keeping Philadelphia/Pittsburgh straight? I had to get that on the rebound.
Pittsburgh = "Three Rivers" (Ohio, Allegheny, Monongahela)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:So what precluded Key West on American Cities for $1000? That was my only miss.
Mainland
And possibly also the word "major" as in "major American city", although admittedly that's more subjective.
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Any suggestions on keeping Philadelphia/Pittsburgh straight? I had to get that on the rebound.
The Delaware River separates Pennsylvania from New Jersey. Philly is on the eastern end of the state, while Pittsburgh is about as far west as you can get.
They said 'mainland.' Key West is an island in the Florida Keys.

The Jack London DD was vicious negbait.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
Mainland
And major. ("Major" is, of course, subjective, which is why they threw in the fact about the small railway town, but it helped me pick Miami over Brownsville.)
Uhh, look at a map?
TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! Malta's a country?! I honestly thought it was just an island that was part of another country.
Perhaps you thought it was part of the Falkland Islands? Because surely everyone's heard of the Maltese Falklands!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
esrever

Post by esrever »

Congrats to Molly on her third win!

Picked up Lach trash: "Joe Louis", "power", "Isthmus of Panama", "San Marino"

Got FJ.
TenPoundHammer wrote: So what precluded Key West on American Cities for $1000? That was my only miss.
The clue asked for a major U.S. city. Key West has only about 25,000 people.
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! Malta's a country?! I honestly thought it was just an island that was part of another country.
Perhaps you thought it was part of the Falkland Islands? Because surely everyone's heard of the Maltese Falklands!
Tip your waiters! Try the veal!
Leander

Post by Leander »

If you take the clue literally to mean "in" the Mediterranean, aren't Cyprus and Malta the only two possible answers? Since Malta used to be a British possession, I figured it was the one likely to use English.

I wondered why they chose to add the bit about UN member, since I don't think it changes the answer.
Golf

Post by Golf »

groovitude wrote:The Jack London DD was vicious negbait.
No it wasn't. If that clue was at the top of the board the answer is "Call of the Wild". Since it was at the bottom it has to be something else.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Golf wrote:
No it wasn't. If that clue was at the top of the board the answer is "Call of the Wild". Since it was at the bottom it has to be something else.
Not really. They have some ridiculously easy clues in the bottom row quite often.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I spent the commercial break trying to think of as many islands in the Mediterranean as I could, and then I tried to think of as many countries as I could that bordered the Mediterranean.

It was time well spent. It meant that the correct answer popped into my head fairly quickly. I'm pretty sure I've read about Malta's official languages before. Also, I think the Maltese language might be the only major Semitic language written in the Latin alphabet. That might be a tad obscure, and is not necessary for answering the clue, but it just means that if you're a language nerd, then "Mediterranean country that's linguistically interesting or unique" will tend to make Malta pop into your head.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

skullturf wrote:I spent the commercial break trying to think of as many islands in the Mediterranean as I could, and then I tried to think of as many countries as I could that bordered the Mediterranean.
Sadly, I forgot all about Malta. I knew it wasn't Cyprus (Greek/Turkish) and all I could come up with was Gibraltar, which isn't even in -- or on -- the Med ... or in -- or on -- the UN.
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote:
Golf wrote:
Not really. They have some ridiculously easy clues in the bottom row quite often.
It seems to me that this a recent phenomenon. I've been really surprised lately how easy some of the $2000 clues are, often easier than clues further up the board.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Guessed Cyprus (thought it might have been one of those situations where a common language was imposed from the outside on a fractious country).

To be fair to people who guessed elsewhere, I was headed to the Levant next- either Israel or Lebanon.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH