Monday, June 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 9, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

A friend did some research into the Jack London DD and shared it with me:

From a recent biography called “Jack London — An American Life” by Earle Labor …

While Jack was working on his first attempt at playwriting, an article appeared in the Sunday, December 4, edition of the “San Francisco Chronicle” that would result in the production of one of his most successful novels. THE CALL OF THE TAME—AN ANTITHESIS ran the headline. Below the headline were pictures of two large dogs facing each other, captioned: BONES—WHO HEARD THE CALL OF THE TAME and BUCK—WHO HEARD THE CALL OF THE WILD. In the article, Flora Haines Loughead compared the real-life “Bones, the Mahlemuit, bred of the wolf in Alaska,” and subsequently brought to California by Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Scharff, with London’s fictional hero in “The Call of the Wild”:

Bones was bred to cold and want, to hard labor and abuse. Upon contact with white men he answered the Call of the Tame and became docile, gentle and affectionate beyond nature. He has been rescued from the Arctic terrors to live out his days in comfort and happiness in the lovely Santa Clara Valley, where on warm days he seeks the cool shade of trees or rolls himself in the water for refreshment. Bred the wolf, he has allied himself with man.

London as quick to see the marketing possibilities. He wrote to Brett the next day about the next book he was going to write, an antithesis to “The Call of the Wild”: “Instead of the devolution or decivilization of a dog, I’m going to give the evolution, the civilization of a dog … a proper companion-book—in the same style, grasp, concrete way … it should make a hit.” Make a hit it did when it appeared in 1906 as “White Fang.”
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
davey wrote:What exactly IS "the call of the tame"?
Who the heck knows? That was kind of the problem in my opinion. So the choice becomes to go with the Pavlovian "Call of the Wild" or the answer that would come with a few seconds deliberation, namely "White Fang." I wouldn't say it was an unfair clue, but it certainly wasn't obvious and I'll bet you a whole lot of J! contestants would have said "The Call of the Wild."
I think Davey's point was that "The Call of the Tame" only makes sense as a riff on Jack London's title. Ergo, London had already written TCotW when the San Francisco Chronicle article came out. Once you've looked up the dates (1903 for TCotW, 1906 specified in the clue for the Chronicle piece) it's easy to realize that's how it went. If you don't know the dates, it's just one hypothesis among many that could be formulated in 30 seconds.

Davey's right that "Deliberation on a DD is smart." (Nice going, Kirk. You set him up. :D ) Over-deliberation, on the other hand, can cause problems. So can deliberating down a path different from the one intended by the writers.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote:I think Davey's point was that "The Call of the Tame" only makes sense as a riff on Jack London's title.
And why couldn't "The Call of the Wild" been a riff on "The Call of the Tame"?
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
georgespelvin wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Would they have taken blackjack for the 21 Stupid Answer?
I didn't see this game. Was the correct response 21? Did Jack Barry get it? Were the Standards and Practices people chilled to the marrow? :o

The Joker is Wild!
The correct response was 21, but Molly got it and not Jack. I'm on the side that blackjack would have been accepted immediately without pause.
Thanks Mark. It would have been a coincidence if Jack had gotten it. For those of you that don't know what I was talking about before, check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiz_show_scandals

Interestingly, both Herb Stempel and Charles Van Doren are still alive. I wonder if they were watching last night's show and picked up on this.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Missed all 3 DD, even Miami! ('train' took me to California and San Diego...kicking myself for that one.) 'Call of the Tame' smelled like a trap to me - reminded me of Julia's DD in 'Pin the Tale on the Donkey' where she blurted out Don Quixote when they were looking for Sancho Panza. Might have eked out 'White Fang' but didn't take the time to think about it.

Totally blanked on 'Padme, Nina Sayers' for $2000. Arghh.

Immediately took "in the Med." to mean island and went with Malta over Cyprus. Lucky me. (Malta does seem to come up a lot recently...)

Molly's FJ wrong guesses have been all over the place - Treaty of Verseilles (sic) and Morocco. Time to go home.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Davey's right that "Deliberation on a DD is smart." (Nice going, Kirk. You set him up. :D ) Over-deliberation, on the other hand, can cause problems. So can deliberating down a path different from the one intended by the writers.
Sure, I do it all the time, while others go down the right path. That's the nature of the game, not unfairness...London embraced the story for its dramatic possibilities, but who thinks that wild animals yearn for domestication?
BoK

Post by BoK »

cosmos wrote:
BoK wrote:A couple of points: ...
2. What was the wording on the 21 clue? Maybe my memory is failing me, but didn't they give the name of the game and ask for the minimum age?
Clue: You must be at least 21 to play at Luxor Las Vegas' 38 tables for this game.
Thanks. I guess my memory was backwards.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

georgespelvin wrote:
Thanks Mark. It would have been a coincidence if Jack had gotten it. For those of you that don't know what I was talking about before, check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiz_show_scandals

Interestingly, both Herb Stempel and Charles Van Doren are still alive. I wonder if they were watching last night's show and picked up on this.
Also interesting is that the original five game limit on a contestant's reign came as a consequence of the quiz scandals, not from concerns over having monotonous champions.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Leander wrote:I wondered why they chose to add the bit about UN member, since I don't think it changes the answer.
Just a hunch, but I think it rules out places like Gibraltar and an argument about what "in the Mediterranean" means.

I precalled Cyprus, but once the clue was revealed FJ was an instaget for me.
cosmos wrote:Stupid question about stupid answers: Could you omit his first name and simply say the son of Gutzon Borglum is Borglum? Or would that be too stupid? :D
That was my response! (If asked to BMS, I'd have said "Who is Borglum, Jr.?")
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

morbeedo wrote:
Molly's FJ wrong guesses have been all over the place - Treaty of Verseilles (sic) and Morocco. Time to go home.
I would enjoy it to an unreasonable degree if Molly kept winning with 5-10k just to see certain posters' heads explode.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

NoName84 wrote:Wasn't sure if they wanted a country in the Mediterranean or just with a shoreline. Had I gone with the latter of these, I would have said Egypt. Fortunately, I chose correctly.
Yeah, how many countries are completely in the Mediterranean? 2 that I know of. A true 50/50 clue.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I took "In the Mediterranean" as "In the Mediterranean area", hence guessed Vatican. Even during the commercial break, as I was running through my spotty mental map of that area, I didn't think about the islands. D'oh!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This Is Kirk! wrote:And why couldn't "The Call of the Wild" been a riff on "The Call of the Tame"?
Because, while there is colloquially such a thing as "the wild," there is no such expression as "the tame"?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:No guess on FJ! Malta's a country?! I honestly thought it was just an island that was part of another country.
Perhaps you thought it was part of the Falkland Islands? Because surely everyone's heard of the Maltese Falklands!
Oh, Mr. Peabody...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

I don't think I saw anyone explicitly say this, so I will. Kudos to Molly for playing to win: TDD in the first round, starting DJ round in a wheelhouse (and running it), moving to NOVELS AND NOVELISTS (a highly probable category for containing DD), returning to the category after Heather took them elsewhere for one clue, and then betting more than the value of the clue when she indeed found the DD there. These are all things which usually provoke criticism when absent so are deserving of praise when present.

It's unfortunate that after all that work she ended up with what I think was a crapshoot of a DD (for the reasons already covered). Did the writers anticipate that someone might neg with The Call of the Wild? If they did and wanted to prevent it, that could easily have been done without necessarily making White Fang any easier to get. So they either didn't anticipate it (sad) or didn't want to prevent it (also sad).

Glad that the game didn't hinge on that.

So the Buffalo Bisons are a thing? Okaaaaaaaay....

Was that Joe Louis clue obvious to sports people here? Was it the opponent's name or the actual quote that was significant? I negged with Ali as well since he is so well-known for making quips like that about his opponents.

Too many FJ! precalls to list, but one of them was "Corsica (grrrrr)" (yes, including the 'grrr'; still sore about that :lol: ). I didn't think it *had* to be an island, but I knew Malta had British ties, so seemed good enough to me.
dhkendall wrote:
Leander wrote:I wondered why they chose to add the bit about UN member, since I don't think it changes the answer.
Because the word "country" always needs a qualifier
Ah, that makes sense. I always have a momentary panic when I see "U.N." in a clue because I think it's going to be necessary to know who is and isn't a member (knowledge I have not and crave not). But most times that specific knowledge turns out to be unnecessary after all, and now I understand why. Thanks.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

jkbrat wrote:Was that Joe Louis clue obvious to sports people here? Was it the opponent's name or the actual quote that was significant? I negged with Ali as well since he is so well-known for making quips like that about his opponents.
I had the same neg. I wouldn't have rung in on the show, but I had gotten them all correct so far (at that early stage), so I wanted to say something so that I still had a chance of running the board (which is something I've only done once).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got Joe Louis. It required knowing who Billy Conn was, so I don't blame anyone for guessing Ali.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

jkbrat wrote:Was that Joe Louis clue obvious to sports people here? Was it the opponent's name or the actual quote that was significant? I negged with Ali as well since he is so well-known for making quips like that about his opponents.
I consider myself better than average at sports, and Joe Louis was my guess, but not completely obvious to me. I forget the opponents name, but knew he was too early for an Ali opponent.
Sheepin' it real.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

jkbrat wrote:So the Buffalo Bisons are a thing? Okaaaaaaaay....
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

seaborgium wrote:I've seen a Stupid Answers category where one player was unclear on the concept and gave a technically correct response once or twice, without being negged.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:So what precluded Key West on American Cities for $1000? That was my only miss.
Mainland
And major. ("Major" is, of course, subjective, which is why they threw in the fact about the small railway town, but it helped me pick Miami over Brownsville.)
I figured the implication was lowest place in the lower 48, not the mainland thereof. Bit of hairsplitting IMO.
So did you think the railroad went straight from the mainland to Key West, or hopped from key to key?
When Henry Flagler built the railroad in Florida, it did eventually go all the way to Key West (not sure what year), so TPH was not way off.
This is where being from an area and knowing too much hurts you.
I heard Southernmost and railroad and jumped to Key West instead of noting the words mainland and major.