TD 196 - Cheaper by the Dozen

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

TD 196 - Cheaper by the Dozen

Post by gamawire »

Welcome to Think Different 196, Cheaper by the Dozen. I have assembled 12 questions with 12 correct answers each. Your goal is to give the least popular correct answer for each question. Correct answers will be given one point for each person who responded with that answer (including yourself). Incorrect answers will be scored as the sheep score (most popular correct answer) plus 12. Low score wins. Ties will be broken by number of singletons, then doubletons, then order of entry.

Half of the questions have bonus questions associated with them. Bonus questions are worth one point off your score for that question. There is no penalty for a wrong guess on bonus answers, but you must get the main question correct in order to be eligible for the bonus.

HELPS:

Since there are a total of 144 answers available, if there is a question you don’t like or prefer not to answer, just mark that item “GROSS.” Your score will be zero for that question. You may only drop one question – any subsequent use will be considered an incorrect response.

You may also use “BOXCARS” if you would like for one question. This will give you a score of 12 for that question. BOXCARS may only be used once – any subsequent use will be considered an incorrect response.

Please remember that you are not allowed to look up answers – all responses must come from the wealth of knowledge that you already possess.

Please PM your answers to me – do not post in the thread. Entry deadline is noon, Central Standard Time, Monday, June 23, 2014. I will most likely starting posting answers fairly quickly after that, so late submissions will probably not be accepted.

If you have questions or concerns, send me a private message (or post here if you are sure your question will not affect the game in any way) – I will post clarifications as necessary.

Enjoy!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
gamawire

Re: TD 196 - Cheaper by the Dozen

Post by gamawire »

THE QUESTIONS:

1. The names of Jesus’ original 12 apostles can be found in the gospels of Matthew (4:18-22; 9:9-12; 10:1-4) and John (1:35-51). Name one of these 12 men. Since some of the names are similar, please make sure you give me enough information to be able to determine who you are talking about (Source: moodycatholic.com).

2. Name an actor who portrayed one of the 12 Angry Men in the 1957 movie of the same name.
Bonus: Name that man’s juror number.

3. Name one of the things my true love gave to me in the song “The Twelve Days of Christmas” (amount and item).

4. Name one of the 12 elements that begins with the letter C.
Bonus: Name that element’s atomic number.

5. Name one of the last twelve secretaries of state (the person must have had tenure of one month or more – so basically anyone who was only an “acting” secretary-of-state will not be considered a correct answer).

6. As chosen by Rolling Stone (in 2011, I believe), name one of the top 12 guitarists of all time.
Bonus: How many women made the original Top 100 list?

7. Name one of the twelve people shown below, all of whom were born in Houston. You do not need to specify the number of the photo.
(Since I couldn't figure out how to put it here, the photo is at the end of this post.)

8. Name one of Broadway’s twelve longest running shows (Source: Wikipedia, as of June 1, 2014). For your information, the list includes 11 musicals and one revue.
Bonus: How long has that show’s run been (in number of performances, +/- 50)?

9. According to statistics collected by the USGS, name one of the top 12 gold producing countries (in metric tons for 2013).

10. To date, Jack Nicholson has been nominated for a total of twelve Oscars, eight times for best actor and four times for best supporting actor. Name one of these twelve films.
Bonus: For how many of these twelve nominations did Jack win?

11. Name one of the six Tudor monarchs or one of the six wives of Henry VIII.

12. In 1909, Swedish author Selma Ottilia Lovisa Lagerlöf became the first woman to win the Nobel Prize for Literature. Name one of the twelve women who have accomplished that milestone since then.
Bonus: Name the year in which your answer won the prize (+/- 2 years).

Photo for Question 7:
Attachments
Houston Smaller.jpg
Houston Smaller.jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 9430 times
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

#8 - The show does not need to be currently running (it can be; it just doesn't have to be) - just in the top 12 for longest runs (revivals included).
Last edited by gamawire on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

Houstonians instead of San Antonians? I'm disappointed.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

lisa0012 wrote:Houstonians instead of San Antonians? I'm disappointed.
Or at least surprised, right? I had a bigger pool to draw from this way.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was mulling over questions to include on a possible future TD the other day and the cast of 12 Angry Men came to mind. But did I look them up? Of course not!!!!

But it doesn't matter because the most obscure one will sheep anyway and you know who will be a singleton.
JoshuaRQI
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaRQI »

Does the longest running broadway show need to be currently running, or just have set the record?
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

JoshuaRQI wrote:Does the longest running broadway show need to be currently running, or just have set the record?
It does not need to be currently running - just in the top 12 for longest runs.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I was mulling over questions to include on a possible future TD the other day and the cast of 12 Angry Men came to mind. But did I look them up? Of course not!!!!
I think I used that one back on TD 13 ... or 25? I forget which.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

gamawire wrote:
True. And you didn't include the people I see in the Houston tourism commercials, so I'm impressed.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

lisa0012 wrote: True. And you didn't include the people I see in the Houston tourism commercials, so I'm impressed.
Where would be the fun in that? :D
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Is there a larger version of Houston smaller.jpg?
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Vanya wrote:Is there a larger version of Houston smaller.jpg?
Yes - on my computer. WAY too big to fit where this one does. :)
BobF

Post by BobF »

Vanya wrote:Is there a larger version of Houston smaller.jpg?
It resizes really nicely in MS Paint, just set it to 200% height and width. Of course first you have to right-click and select copy to get it off of this page.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

lisa0012 wrote:
gamawire wrote:
True. And you didn't include the people I see in the Houston tourism commercials, so I'm impressed.
Houston has tourism commercials??
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I suppose on #3, you mean the traditional version of the song rather than the comedic/parody versions, all of which are huge improvements?
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Rackme32 wrote:I suppose on #3, you mean the traditional version of the song rather than the comedic/parody versions, all of which are huge improvements?
Yes, the traditional - no Jeff Foxworthy or any such bastardization. :D
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Rackme32 wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:
gamawire wrote:
Houston has tourism commercials??

Yes - the two I've seen feature Lyle Lovett and Jim Parsons (two people who you now know are not in my collage).
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

gamawire wrote:
JoshuaRQI wrote:Does the longest running broadway show need to be currently running, or just have set the record?
It does not need to be currently running - just in the top 12 for longest runs.
Just thought of something - does the number include revivals? Or did you want one of the top 12 single runs?
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Magna wrote:Just thought of something - does the number include revivals? Or did you want one of the top 12 single runs?
UPDATE: The list does include revivals. I apologize for any confusion.
Last edited by gamawire on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.