Thursday, June 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 19, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by floridagator »

What an easy, easy FJ. It always amazes me that J! (and College Bowl) contestants do well on graduate-level categories in certain areas but can't do even 7th grade-level business questions. That female contestant was unimpressive. She nearly blew her TDD by forgetting the phrasing. The new champ is even more unimpressive and I predict he flames out tomorrow.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was an enjoyable board, but not one that played to my strengths. I am happy that I knew the "Danny Boyle" DD, though.

I was between General Motors and Ford on FJ. I don't think that I need to say which one I picked.

I am sorry to see Troy go. He was a good player and I liked how he handled himself when his two opponents started to get hot in DJ.

In the third place situation that the new champ was in in FJ I don't think that wagering everything is such a bad idea, since second place is generally more of a loose cannon in what they will wager than first place is. I don't think there is anything wrong with it if you like the category and understand the risk, though there is no point in holding back $100.
Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd »

I feel like you're about ~50% during any Seahawks game to get a bit shot at Pikes Place of a salmon being thrown. FJ bet was obviously horrible, had so much hope for her after going for the true DD and was not expecting it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

A *lot* of low-hanging Lach Trash today

Also surprised at the Marcos BMS, had to neg it when I couldn't come up with the first name.

Guessing the gentle/gently will appear in the poll somehow.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Congrats to Brian for pulling this one out. That's why it's called a gameshow, eh?

Was screaming at the screen for Spaced Out. Gemini? Nobody ever heard of the Gemini program? I'm a space nut for sure, but, oy.

GM was not an Instaget, but pretty close.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

OSXpert wrote:
econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:This game is a win for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
Is there a reason that someone outside of Seattle would have heard of Pike Place?

Instaget FJ.
Besides being one of the bigger tourist spots in Seattle, its also where Starbucks was founded and some of their coffees are named after it.

I'm from Chicago and Pike's Place was instant for me.
I didn't get it
Is it also the place for fish market
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 with some unrevealed clues.
Mormons: 4/5 Quirky: 5/5 Spaced: 2/5 Touch: 0/5 Colorado: 4/5 Angels: 1/5
Proposal: 3/5 Literary: 1/5 Movie: 1/5 Fashion: 2/5 Neon: 4/5 D_X: 3/5

Lach trash: "Gemini", "Greeley"

I was unable to see FJ as it aired because a sudden thunderstorm knocked out the feed to the CBS affiliate from the commercials before FJ to the ending discussion. :x Fortunately, I remembered that you have it on here. :D I was able to get it under 30 seconds- I thought of the bailout and went to the auto industry.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The irony of Troy not knowing the FJ is priceless. He's a right wing pundit and former Bush II speechwriter who knows about the downfall of Sears that happened with a Democrat in the White House (but not the year) yet can't remember that GM has been profitable since the bailout which put them back into the S&P 500 during the Obama presidency. Is he in denial? :D (Sorry for the political comment, but too obvious to say nothing about.)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got GM, but wasn't 100% certain, also thought of Ford and Chrysler. The word big made me worry it was a hint for IBM.

I did not get the place in Seattle. If she had gotten it, she had the lead in FJ. Would Troy gave known how to bet from second.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

I went with GM, waffeld between that and Crysler, but eventually thought 1908 sounded too old for Crysler. I'm surprised that any of the contestants went with anything besides those two. And looks like I was dead wrong about Troy being our next superchampion. Although maybe I was just rooting for him because he seems like a cool guy (and we share some political beliefs, although poltics didn't stop me, and won't stop me, from rooting for Chu).

Glad to see Shore's Conjecture in play, I imagine that Keith will have something to say about this. I'm not sure I agree with all the wagering theories that people propose, but the fact is that if she bet 0 she would have won. I can't deny that.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I went with Lehman Brothers for FJ. :oops: But I got Danny Boyle and some other Lach Trash.
jeopardyhopeful
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyhopeful »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My sentiments, exactly. After having the seldom-seen cajones to do the TDD and get herself back in contention, all she had to do was wager less than $2,400 in FJ to keep Brian locked out, and she would have a well-deserved win.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
zakharov wrote:I'm pretty sure losing all your cash on forgetting to say "What is" qualifies as the worst way to lose. Thank god that didn't happen.
She pretty much lost in the worst possible way to lose, so ...
Only if she comes to understand what she did. I suspect most contestants who lose that way never figure it out.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BADuBois wrote:Was screaming at the screen for Spaced Out. Gemini? Nobody ever heard of the Gemini program? I'm a space nut for sure, but, oy.
I'm weak on space program knowledge. I was leaning toward Gemini but wouldn't have rung in. At least not until Troy rang in to say, "I'll give you a hint. It's not Apollo." :D
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:
BADuBois wrote:Was screaming at the screen for Spaced Out. Gemini? Nobody ever heard of the Gemini program? I'm a space nut for sure, but, oy.
I'm weak on space program knowledge. I was leaning toward Gemini but wouldn't have rung in. At least not until Troy rang in to say, "I'll give you a hint. It's not Apollo." :D
It was in the clue about how the Russians "did them one better with 3 people": two people = Gemini (and Mercury = 1, Apollo = 3).
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I was probably the only one who guessed Hostess. I think it's dessert time.

Has anyone ever come from that far in the hole to win?
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

opusthepenguin wrote:
econgator wrote:
zakharov wrote:I'm pretty sure losing all your cash on forgetting to say "What is" qualifies as the worst way to lose. Thank god that didn't happen.
She pretty much lost in the worst possible way to lose, so ...
Only if she comes to understand what she did. I suspect most contestants who lose that way never figure it out.

Friends, family and acquaintenances will no doubt point it out to her, often and forever.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

cosmos wrote:The irony of Troy not knowing the FJ is priceless. He's a right wing pundit and former Bush II speechwriter who knows about the downfall of Sears that happened with a Democrat in the White House (but not the year) yet can't remember that GM has been profitable since the bailout which put them back into the S&P 500 during the Obama presidency. Is he in denial? :D (Sorry for the political comment, but too obvious to say nothing about.)
GM was not really a success story you want to gloat about, even before recent revelations.

Nevertheless it was the obvious FJ response.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Thought about GM.
Thought about the bailout.
Thought "the bailout and bankruptcy are not the same thing."
Wrote "What is Chrysler?"

D'oh!
Sheepin' it real.