Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

Broadway

In 2013 this musical based on a movie became the first to gross $1 billion on Broadway.
Spoiler
What is The Lion King? Michelle said Spiderman, James said The Producers
Alison Meermans: $10,400+$4,800=$15,200
Michelle Concoli: $12,600-$12,600=$0
James Friscia: $15,200-$10,000=$5,200

Alison is now a two day champ with $33,600
PlayerWM86
Contributor

Post by PlayerWM86 »

I was hoping that there would be some Sonic clues today, seeing that it's the video gaming icon's 23rd birthday today - there have been some clues about him in the past, and I can recall at least a College Championship episode in 1994 where series #3 was the correct response.

Anyways, here's hoping that Allison goes very far this week. And here's hoping we don't get another returning champion shutout anytime soon...those hurt!
Avid J! watcher since 1989 & failing at J! video games since 1995.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Do my eyes deceive me? Were those three basically perfect bets in FJ? If so, sweet!
PlayerWM86 wrote:I was hoping that there would be some Sonic clues today, seeing that it's the video gaming icon's 23rd birthday today
More than one clue on some random birthday of a video game? Seriously?
Last edited by Golf on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash: "Dandelion Wine", "September", "Vanderbilt", "Gillian Anderson"

Instaget FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I was worried about this group when Wounded Knee was a stand-and-stare TS, but it turned into a close game.

James seemed kinda stiff to me. Must've been the nerves. DJ seemed slow as a result, so I was surprised we even saw 29/30 clues.

Instaget FJ. Probably would've gotten it without a refresher, but checking the answers for the Broadway question in TD 196 this afternoon made it a cinch. I'm surprised it was a single get.

Hey, 2-day champ! Yay.

And hey, good wagers! I should praise them when that happens. Though I have no idea why he offered Michelle a tie.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Had no clue that Lion King was so popular.

Said Mamma Mia just to say something.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

James was incredibly nervous but I'm sure he (if not his fiancee) will be comforted by all the lascivious comments I saw from the ladies on Twitter.

Swept "Quoth the Celeb," Literary Potent Potables, Needs (lame category), and got all 4 that we saw in Idioms. Didn't help my Coryat that much since I got totally owned in Winged Things and "I Am From Romania." Mixed up Bucharest and Budapest...shoot me now.

Lach trash: "Dandelion Wine" and Wounded Knee

Instaget FJ. Lion King is ludicrously popular. Maybe living in NYC helped.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Leander

Post by Leander »

Not an instaget FJ, but I couldn't come up with any other show currently running that was based on a movie. Plus, knowing how popular Lion King is and the use of super premium pricing for preferred seats, hitting a billion seemed not unreasonable.
BoK

Post by BoK »

This clue was an instaget for me because of this NYT article from a few months back. It's about Disney's dynamic pricing algorithm.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

I came up with The Producers and Hairspray but wasn't especially confident about either of them. I was pretty sure it would have to be older than either of those if it has grossed $1 billion.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was an excellent board, and I'd say the best one in recent memory. I was happy to get all the Lach trash that esrever got, plus "Wounded Knee."

I was waiting for a clue on Constantin Brancusi in the "Romania" category's $2000 space. It annoyed me when the contestants kept avoiding that clue, but then when they got to it the clue was not on him!

The FJ category was one where I would not wager to cover when the person behind me had more than 2/3. I also guessed Spider-Man, even though I was pretty sure that it wasn't directly based on a movie. I was thinking in terms of musicals that premiered in recent years; this was a real forehead slapper.

I can't rave enough about how much I liked this board. The person(s) who wrote it should get raises and take over all the writing duties.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

My first thought was "The Producers". I subsequently wondered about "The Lion King" but I didn't switch on the theory that one's first thought is usually right.

Changing the subject: If the Vermont legislature really suggested serving apple pie with ice cream, they should be ashamed of themselves. Real Vermonters know that apple pie is eaten with sharp cheddar cheese.
Teems with quiet fun.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 out of 59.
Quote: 4/5 Medicine: 0/5 Last: 1/5 State: 1/5 Literary: 4/5 L__S: 3/5
Winged: 2/5 19th: 4/5 Needs: 3/5 TV: 4/5 Romania: 2/5 Idioms: 2/5

Lach trash: "September", "Wounded Knee", "Gillian Anderson"

Didn't get FJ- guessed Spamalot; I knew about the Lion King being a musical, but it didn't come to mind.

It is possible that "Ben and Jerry's" would be acceptable for "ice cream" in the State category because it mentioned Vermont specifically in the clue? I know Ben and Jerry's has chains all over the place, but they're headquartered in Vermont.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

Nothing more satisfying that a reference to the excellent "Hannibal" TV series! I picked that trash up, believe it. And referencing "Meth Damon" was funny, too.

Guessed "Hairspray" to say something, punched myself in the face when I heard the real answer.

A fun, close game. I think James must have been watching/reading about Arthur, or maybe it also occured to him that, "Hey, maybe there is some generally untapped strategy to apply to the game." Nice to see it in use, anyways.
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I have to give credit to Alison on another comeback. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it seemed like she was getting destroyed on the buzzer for a good deal of the game. Her two opponents were just so quick and then she pulls it out again.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

immaf wrote:
Changing the subject: If the Vermont legislature really suggested serving apple pie with ice cream, they should be ashamed of themselves. Real Vermonters know that apple pie is eaten with sharp cheddar cheese.
Gross dude.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Unless the Vermont legislature specifically mention Ben and Jerry's in their resolution, then it should not be accepted.

Shrek for me, as good a guess as any I suppose. I considered The Producers as well but Lion King never came to mind. While Spiderman the musical may have been based on the movie, if it had been Spiderman, I think they'd have said it was based on a comic book.

I liked the bets for the most part. Alison made sure to stay above James' MSBIW to win on a TS. Michelle's MSBIW is lower than James', so she might as well go all in. Not sure if I'd offer a good player like Michelle a tie. Maybe he watches The Final Wager.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

This final was so obvious, yet out of reach. AAArgh, hate days like this
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K