Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, June 23, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:For FJ, "Wicked" was an insta-response and I refused to entertain any other answers during the Think music. :(
It was mine, too, then I thought "hold on, Wicked isn't based on a movie" but it was too late. I couldn't shift gears.
Ummm, Wizard of Oz????
Yeah, that's why Wicked came to mind instantly, but then I realized it wasn't really based on the movie for the reasons elucidated here by the other posters.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

I'd like to thank my mom for once getting me a copy of "Wicked" and then ensuring I didn't fall into that trap. Thanks mom!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

lieph82 wrote:P.S. knowing a little bit about the Oz books might just help you out in a future game on this board...
Especially if you want to be an Oz Pinhead. :lol:
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
lieph82 wrote:P.S. knowing a little bit about the Oz books might just help you out in a future game on this board...
Especially if you want to be an Oz Pinhead. :lol:
Thank you Mr Diggs.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

silverscreentest wrote:Did anyone else get hit with the negbait about the Mississippi state toy named for a President? I said Lincoln Logs instead of Teddy Bear. In hindsight, Lincoln is not popular in Mississippi and the Teddy Bear incident took place in Mississippi.
Yep me too, realized a second too late that if it was any state's toy it would be Illinois. To my surprise, Illinois does not have a state toy at all.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Wheatley wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:Did anyone else get hit with the negbait about the Mississippi state toy named for a President? I said Lincoln Logs instead of Teddy Bear. In hindsight, Lincoln is not popular in Mississippi and the Teddy Bear incident took place in Mississippi.
Yep me too, realized a second too late that if it was any state's toy it would be Illinois. To my surprise, Illinois does not have a state toy at all.
Possibly Kentucky, but it doesn't have a state toy either.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
dhkendall wrote:For FJ, "Wicked" was an insta-response and I refused to entertain any other answers during the Think music. :(
It was mine, too, then I thought "hold on, Wicked isn't based on a movie" but it was too late. I couldn't shift gears.
That would still be considered a good guess in my book.
I went with 'Mama Mia' as an insta-response. I have no interest in broadway at all, so it would have surprised me if I was correct. I would have been wagering at a minimum risk also.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

its206 wrote:Surprised anyone said Spider-man when that was a pretty high-profile flop. I remember reading it could run for years and years and still never turn a profit based on its ridiculously troubled production. Is that true?
I don't know, but it wouldn't affect the gross. Still, I suppose you have a point. If Spider-man grosses $1 billion and is still in the red, somebody's cooking the books.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

harrumph wrote:It is based on the 1995 Gregory Maguire novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Which is one of the darkest books I have ever read. Hard to believe at times that the book and musical are related at all.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

opusthepenguin wrote:
its206 wrote:Surprised anyone said Spider-man when that was a pretty high-profile flop. I remember reading it could run for years and years and still never turn a profit based on its ridiculously troubled production. Is that true?
I don't know, but it wouldn't affect the gross. Still, I suppose you have a point. If Spider-man grosses $1 billion and is still in the red, somebody's cooking the books.
Is there a Bialystock listed as one of the producers?
OCSam
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Leander wrote:Not an instaget FJ, but I couldn't come up with any other show currently running that was based on a movie. Plus, knowing how popular Lion King is and the use of super premium pricing for preferred seats, hitting a billion seemed not unreasonable.
I started out with The Producers because it was the first (successful) one I could think of made out of a movie. (And if anyone wants to be a [jerk] and claim PTO is based on a movie, I'll fight you over it!). But then I figured it wasn't that successful, and I started thinking of other long-running plays, and went immediately to The Lion King.
Although I might not be willing to fight you about PTO being based on a movie (I assume that is an abbreviation of Phantom of the Opera), you are still wrong.

Little Shop of Horrors was based on a "B" horror movie released in the 60's and is older than The Producers. I went back and forth on those 2 since LSH is much older and may be on broadway in some revival (question wasn't clear if it meant only first/continuous run). Settled on The Producers and was wrong anyway.
davey

Post by davey »

mrsal67 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Leander wrote:Not an instaget FJ, but I couldn't come up with any other show currently running that was based on a movie. Plus, knowing how popular Lion King is and the use of super premium pricing for preferred seats, hitting a billion seemed not unreasonable.
I started out with The Producers because it was the first (successful) one I could think of made out of a movie. (And if anyone wants to be a [jerk] and claim PTO is based on a movie, I'll fight you over it!). But then I figured it wasn't that successful, and I started thinking of other long-running plays, and went immediately to The Lion King.
Although I might not be willing to fight you about PTO being based on a movie (I assume that is an abbreviation of Phantom of the Opera), you are still wrong.

Little Shop of Horrors was based on a "B" horror movie released in the 60's and is older than The Producers. I went back and forth on those 2 since LSH is much older and may be on broadway in some revival (question wasn't clear if it meant only first/continuous run). Settled on The Producers and was wrong anyway.
Little Shop of Horrors was an off-Broadway hit in the 1980s that was revived on Broadway from October 2003 to August 2004. Not a huge success there.
A lot of Broadway musicals are based on movies. One that precedes all the ones mentioned is 42nd Street, which ran over 8 years starting in 1980, and was revived for 3 and a half years in the early 2000s.
The Producers closed in 2007.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mrsal67 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I started out with The Producers because it was the first (successful) one I could think of made out of a movie. (And if anyone wants to be a [jerk] and claim PTO is based on a movie, I'll fight you over it!). But then I figured it wasn't that successful, and I started thinking of other long-running plays, and went immediately to The Lion King.

A few years after Phantom of the Opera, Andrew Lloyd Webber did write a musical based on a movie: Sunset Boulevard. It got mentioned earlier in this thread. Sunset Blvd pre-dates The Lion King by a year--pre-dates the movie, that is.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:(And if anyone wants to be a [jerk] and claim PTO is based on a movie, I'll fight you over it!).
You never did explain why Phantom of the Opera is not based on a movie.
Again, not willing to go to blows over it, but I am curious.
davey

Post by davey »

mrsal67 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:(And if anyone wants to be a [jerk] and claim PTO is based on a movie, I'll fight you over it!).
Because it isn't. It's based on a 19th C. novel by Gaston Leroux. And the Phantom in the show is not like the Phantom in the Lon Chaney movie.
davey

Post by davey »

davey wrote:
mrsal67 wrote:
Because it isn't. It's based on a 19th C. novel by Gaston Leroux. And the Phantom in the show is not like the Phantom in the Lon Chaney movie.
Sorry, just realized that the Leroux novel is from 1909-10. It's always smart to check facts before posting... :oops:
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

davey wrote:
davey wrote:
mrsal67 wrote:
Sorry, just realized that the Leroux novel is from 1909-10. It's always smart to check facts before posting... :oops:
Thanks for the education. I did not know there was a Phantom novel.
Does the novel have the chandelier incident? I know its in the Claude Raines version but I don't know if it is in the Lon Chaney version.
davey

Post by davey »

mrsal67 wrote:
davey wrote:
davey wrote:
mrsal67 wrote:
Thanks for the education. I did not know there was a Phantom novel.
Does the novel have the chandelier incident? I know its in the Claude Raines version but I don't know if it is in the Lon Chaney version.
I did not know, but checked Wikipedia which says it's in the book and both movies. It's true also that Claude Rains' Phantom looks more like the show's Phantom. But he uses a full mask, not the show's half-mask.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

I got thrown off in FJ thinking about recent shows - Aladdin was just on the Tonys (and won for supporting actor), so that came to mind first. Then Newsies, since it had to be older than just this year to get a billion dollars, and I figured it had to be Disney, but I didn't work backward quickly enough before the think music ran out.

This despite the fact that I was just looking at tickets for the Lion King tour to see if they were reasonably enough priced to take my young cousin (nope). But it didn't spring to mind as a show currently on Broadway.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Belated judge's ruling required (watching this in Daytime J!)

L__S (Alex: Each correct response -- four letters only. The word will begin with an "L" and end with an "S".) $600: "Run them, swim them or sit on them"

Credited was "What are laps". Would "What are legs" work just as well? IMHO they do, but I'd like a judges' ruling on this.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012