Thursday, July 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, July 10, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Will33 wrote:So much for thinking the male domination was back lol.
Yeah...I think the producers are doing this only to not have another male make it to the 2014 ToC. It's like a sabotage...
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Yeah...I think the producers are doing this only to not have another male make it to the 2014 ToC. It's like a sabotage...
Stop now.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

zakharov wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Stop now.
What? I'm not "Gordon Ramsaying" about it...I'm just making a statement.

(Yes...I made it up.)
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
JimGunn
Contributor

Post by JimGunn »

I always ace any of the categories with "word" in quotations like "Rock". Got stumped on final by guessing saccharine even though I knew it was wrong. Just couldn't get it out of my head to try other possibilities.
Golf

Post by Golf »

JimGunn wrote:I always ace any of the categories with "word" in quotations like "Rock".
Quoted for chuckles.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

trainman wrote:Stern Pinball and Jersey Jack Pinball will be somewhat surprised by Pete's assertion that pinball machines aren't being made anymore. I'm sorry to hear the bar where he tends doesn't have recent releases (if any).
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. My wife and I go to pinball shows sometimes and I always enjoy playing the new machines as well as the classics.

And nice job representing Mid-Michigan, Jen!
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

My best category was obviously a sports category in No Chaser, as I got 4/5. However even I as a sports fan, didn't get the $1000 answer of Ted Ligety 2014 Gold Medalist. That was a Sports Jeopardy level question that definitely deserved to be on the Sports Jeopardy audition test. Good for Jen.

I did have a Lach Trash on Evita, which I thought was too simple for $2k, but I guess not.
I also didn't get FJ, as I guessed Sugar, knowing that it was probably wrong.

Oh, I also said Puritans.
Golf

Post by Golf »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. My wife and I go to pinball shows sometimes and I always enjoy playing the new machines as well as the classics.
Enjoying pinball and living in Seattle, would you happened to have played with Todd MacCulloch?
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

Missed FJ -- thought the formula looked vaguely like Ammonia, which wasn't any help -- went with saccharine just to have something; upon the reveal, I knew the word 'ethereal' had something to do with heaven, but never knew it meant 'delicate' as well. The only lach trash for me was 'The Doctor Is In' -- I struggled with 'Evita' as right away that tune "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina" began running through my head preventing the synapses from properly functioning, i.e. I choked. Congrats to Campbell on an impressive run and also to Jen for that sole FJ get and the win. She certainly was beaming and seemed super thrilled with her victory.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cosmos wrote:FJ clue: This adjective can mean "delicate", "heavenly" or, in chemistry, "related to C[sub]4[/sub]H[sub]10[/sub]O"

I see a possible problem. By writing "or" instead of "and" they might make it possible for "etheric" to be correct, since that word and "ethereal" both mean related to ether. But "this" is singular, implying only one single word meets the requirements of the entire clue. In other words, I don't think "etheric" can mean "delicate" so it should be wrong but there could well be an argument.

edit: After giving it more thought, I believe "etheric" has to be accepted as a correct response.
No. The "or" simply means that the word isn't used with all three meanings at the same time. If "etheric" was acceptable, all synonyms of "heavenly" and "delicate" would be as well.

I said "sweet," guessing that the formula was for some sort of sugar, and stretching the pleasant, positive definition of the word to fit the possible synonyms.

I guess the challengers didn't notice Campbell offered a tie yesterday, or else they wanted to reward him for doing so.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Does Ted Ligety do DayQuil commercials? Good game with a tough FJ. I liked the military guy.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Johnblue wrote:Does Ted Ligety do DayQuil commercials? Good game with a tough FJ. I liked the military guy.
He does. They were all over NBC's coverage of the Games this year.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What a game! I haven't read the other posts yet, but I'm sure I'm not the first to say it. Three good players, evenly matched, who kept the game moving along.

Campbell, it's sad to see you go, but congratulations again on the wins.

Jen (if you're reading), nice get on FJ, and nice play throughout! Way to keep your head. Tough luck to Pete who also played very well.

The FJ was tough but fair, in my opinion. And Jen was only narrowly behind, so it didn't feel like she was stealing the game from better players. A different day, a different board, and she'd have been the leader going into FJ. Same for Pete. That's true in theory, I suppose, for any set of contestants. But if this trio played 100 games, it feels like we might have to wait for the last one to see who wins 34 of them.

I look forward to seeing Jen's performance with one game and some buzzer mojo under her belt.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

A Wray wrote:
Zee2 wrote:I believe that "Pilgrims" was wrong and "Puritans" should have been accepted. The clue referred to the group that was persecuted. The persecuted group were Puritans. They didn't become "pilgrims" until they left on their "pilgrimage."

What do you all think? I don't think it would have affected the final outcome, as it was.
No. And "Puritans" should have been negged rather than BMSed. The Pilgrims and Puritans were two totally different groups, though they are often confused. The Pilgrims had separated from the Church of England. The Puritans wanted to stay in it and "purify" it (thus their name). The Pilgrims arrived in 1620 and founded the Plymouth colony. The Puritans arrived in 1630 and founded the Massachusetts colony. These were two separate colonies until 1691.
I think this is a definite edge case. I side with the decision to BMS, but I wouldn't have been upset by an outright neg. The Puritans didn't all stay in England to purify the Church of England. Some of them were among the group that went to the Netherlands in 1609 and, 11 years later, to the New World. So the Puritans aren't the "persecuted group" that as a group fled to the Netherlands and then across the Atlantic. But a group of Puritans did do exactly those things.

This does make for one of those interesting situations where BMS actually means "Give me a different response."

I also get Zee2's argument that "pilgrims" is incorrect since they weren't yet pilgrims when they were being persecuted. But going down that road would make talking about history too difficult. Who are the pilgrims? Well, they're the group of people who, prior to being "pilgrims", were persecuted... etc.

For J! purposes, the answer is even more clear-cut. J! has always accepted anachronistic names as long as the name refers to the person/entity in question. Who was sitting next to JFK when he was shot? Onassis. In real life, nuh uh. On Jeopardy!, yeah they'll take it. I think. I can't recall anything quite so blatant. But I've seen plenty of similar responses accepted.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:Okay, fine the Puritans are guessed. That I can understand. I don't get the BMS from the judges/Alex. What I really do not not understand is the lack of rebound. Campbell: Any insight?
Lights! Camera! Inaction!

Seemed like your ordinary brain freeze to me.
MarkBarrett wrote:I'm not sure if I am allowed to use the "I" word here even if I am using it about myself? Let's try, I'm a real knucklehead. I thought of ether and moved on because it was not an adjective.
You eeeeeeeeeeeediot!!!!!!!! There. See? No "I" word. :D

Also? Another example of your ordinary brain freeze. Did you have some lights shining on you or something?
jeopardyhopeful
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyhopeful »

I really enjoyed this game. Jen impressed me with that FJ get. I'm guessing that's going to poll VERY low. I think maybe she overbet in FJ, though. If Pete had only bet $7,600, which I think is very reasonable (to cover a Jen all-in), then she would have lost if she had gotten the response wrong. If she bet less than $4,600, though, she would have won even if she missed the FJ clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

JeopRDFan wrote:Missed FJ -- thought the formula looked vaguely like Ammonia
That's NH3 -- not even close. ;)
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

(How did I figure the formula was for ether? I don't know entirely, but isn't it traditional to end the alcohols with an -OH? C4 H9 OH? That or I totally mucked it up and thought it was ethanol and not ether... (see drunkard remark. :lol: ))
CH2OH is really a linearized written version of

H
-C-OH
H

The two carbon straight chain alcohol is ethanol, 3 is propanol, and 4 is butanol
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

http://www.ushistoryscene.com/uncategor ... spilgrims/

For me the 1609+11=1620=Plymouth Rock=pilgrims

I often make the comment that the puritans came to be able to persecute ---not to be free from persecution.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

whatisbishkek wrote:
PeteMoss wrote:Why was the bartender dinged for the Rock Lobster question? I didn't understand Alex's explanation.
Because the category indicated the responses had to include "rock" and his initial response of "lobster" did not meet that criterion.
So the category name included the word "rock," and his response did not. My thought on that was, "if the category name is 'bridges,' and the clue is looking for the Golden Gate Bridge, and the contestant answers "What is the Golden Gate?", then that is a correct response because the word "bridge" (as in "What is the Golden Gate Bridge?") is implied in the category or in the clue or both. It's not necessary to repeat the word "bridge" in the answer.

And if that is how the rules are applied, then I don't know why he was negged for not specifying ROCK lobster. Am I confused?

Liked this game overall getting 43 right; but an unusual number of misses (6) dropped my Coryat below $30K. I also thought Puritans should have been accepted w/o the BMS.

For whatever reason FJ was as insta- as instagets get for me. And that's without having any clue about the chemical formula they put up there. I got "ethereal" from the words they used to define it, and then just surmised that the formula corroborated my answer by being the formula for ether. Good thing I was right, as it would have been embarrassing to be so certain of my answer and yet so wrong.

Sorry Campbell couldn't come up with this one. I was looking forward to seeing a nice long run from him. Most enjoyable player. Congrats to Jen on an excellent sole get. (Although I will note that both Pete and Jen wagered way too much in FJ; if that was just picking a nice round number on her part, which is what it seemed like, she'll have to do better than that in her defense tonight.)