Thursday, July 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6884, 2014-07-17

CONTESTANTS
Megan Gardner, an electrical engineer from Columbia, Maryland
Katie Wroblewski, a graduate student in history from Ypsilanti, Michigan
Jerome Azbell, a library reference clerk from Smyrna, Tennessee (whose 1-day cash winnings total $13,999)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to our show. I'm hoping today's game is easier than yesterday's. Jerome won the game. And because the game was so tough, he didn't get to win a lot of money. But he's trying to make up for that today against these two newcomers, Katie and Megan. Good to have you here, ladies. And here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And here come the categories. We start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY SIGNIFICANT OTHERS (3/5) (Alex: You'll love it.)
NATIONAL SCENIC BYWAYS (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
OFFICE SEEKER, DISAPPOINTED (4/5)
A KILLEE'S HEELS (4/5)
MYTHS BUSTED BY MYTHBUSTERS (4/5)
TRIPLE "A" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jerome: 13 R, 2 W
Katie: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Megan: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jerome: $2,800
Katie: $1,600
Megan: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Megan Gardner is an electrical engineer working with the space industry. That sounds like exciting work. What do you do?

Megan: It is exciting. I am currently working on a mission called "Solar Probe Plus." And when it launches in a few years, it will come closer to the Sun than any spacecraft has before.

Alex: Have you got --well, I'm sure you have. The scientists have figured out how close to the Sun you can go without plunging into the Sun and burning up.

Megan: I don't know if there is a limit, but I know our spacecraft is going to about 8 1/2 solar radii from the Sun.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Katie Wroblewski from Ypsilanti, Michigan.

Katie: Yes.

Alex: Did I pronounce your last name correctly?

Katie: Yes, that's correct.

Alex: It's Polish, isn't it?

Katie: Yes.

Alex: And you spent a year studying in Poland --where?

Katie: I did --the year after I finished college, I was in Kraków, and --

Alex: Beautiful city.

Katie: It's a wonderful place to spend some time, and...I just really enjoyed the experience.

Alex: Before the Soviet Union broke apart, I was in Kraków with my wife, and we enjoyed a fantastic five-course dinner with wine, some champagne --cost about $13. After the breakup
of the Soviet Union, capitalism set in. Now it would cost you a couple hundred bucks for the same meal. I'm sure you experienced something like that when you were there.

Katie: Sure.

Alex: Jerome Azbell is from Tennessee. I want to hear about your experience trying to fix a broken part on your car, 'cause it's out there.

Jerome: Oh, yeah. I had a great car. It was 10 years old, had about 250,000 miles on it, and I'm getting up on the interstate to help somebody out. Door handle breaks off in my hand. Went and got the parts, and within a couple of weeks had wrecked the car. [ laughs ]

Alex: Oh. Boo, hiss.

Jerome: We ended up finding somebody else who had a similar make and model in a parking lot. Left the car part on top of her car. Didn't even let her know it was us.

Alex: And her car was missing the same part?

Jerome: Missing the exact same part.

Alex: Obviously a manufacturing default, there --a fault.

Jerome: I would say so.

Alex: Yeah. Pick up your signaling device. We hope it's working. And go ahead and make a selection.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katie found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Jerome had $4,600, Katie had $3,600, and Megan was at $600. Katie wagered $1,000.

NATIONAL SCENIC BYWAYS $800: A California scenic byway takes you through this place; a 1907 ad about it asked, "Would you enjoy a trip to Hell?"
(Katie: What is the Pacific coast?)
(Alex: Oh, no. That's not Hell. But [*] could seem like it was Hell. We have less than a minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OFFICE SEEKER, DISAPPOINTED $400: This Minnesotan was elected to the Senate in 1966, but his later presidential run was less successful

TRIPLE "A" $800: Woody Allen played Fielding Mellish in this "tasty" 1971 film
(Alex: It was a hoot. [*].)

LITERARY SIGNIFICANT OTHERS $600: Bill Sikes

LITERARY SIGNIFICANT OTHERS $800: Leopold Bloom

MYTHS BUSTED BY MYTHBUSTERS $400: Unlike a James Bond movie scene, covering someone's body in this will not kill a person through asphyxiation
(Jerome: What is gold?)
(Alex: Mm...)
(Jerome: What is gold foil?)
(Alex: No.)

A KILLEE'S HEELS $200: You get a clear shot of the heels of this actress as she's stabbed in the shower scene of "Psycho"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jerome: $7,200
Katie: $2,600
Megan: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COUNTRY MUSIC MOVERS & SHAKERS (4/5)
THE HIGHWAYMEN (3/4)
"M"ENAGERIE (4/5)
SIGNS & SYMBOLS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
A RIVER RUNS BETWEEN THEM (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: We'll give you two countries, and you give me the river that forms the main boundary between those countries.)
PORTMANTEAU WORDS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Megan: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Katie: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jerome: 7 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Megan snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Jerome had $7,600, Katie had $3,000, and Megan was at $6,200. Megan wagered $2,000.

SIGNS & SYMBOLS $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) In a Gilbert Stuart portrait, behind Washington are many symbolic touches, like the rainbow, showing faith in the future,
the copy of "The Federalist," symbolizing unity
under the Constitution, and, on the chair, this botanical symbol
of victory
(Megan: What is an olive branch?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Katie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Jerome had $9,200, Katie had $7,800, and Megan was at $4,200. Katie wagered $1,400.

A RIVER RUNS BETWEEN THEM $2000: Brazil & Argentina (It's named for a third country)
(Katie: What is...)
(Alex: Hurry.)
(Katie: ...Paraguay?
(Alex: No, you picked the wrong one. [*]. [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COUNTRY MUSIC MOVERS & SHAKERS $2000: In 2013 fans cheered on this country cutie as she kicked up her heels to win "Dancing with the Stars"

PORTMANTEAU WORDS $1200: AKA sudden-wealth syndrome, it's the condition caused by too much money & consumerism

A RIVER RUNS BETWEEN THEM $1600: Zimbabwe & Zambia
(Jerome: What is the Congo?)
(Megan: What is the Limpopo?)
(Alex: It's another "Z" word -- [*], leading into Victoria Falls.)

"M"ENAGERIE $1600: This African monkey has blue cheeks & a red nose that become brighter when it's excited
(Jerome: What is a mandible?)
(Alex: I believe you misspoke, Jerome.
It's a [*], not a mandible.)

SIGNS & SYMBOLS $2000: From north Africa, St. Augustine made this animal a symbol of the humble Christian bearing burdens without complaint
(Jerome: What is the donkey?)

THE HIGHWAYMEN $2000: This British highwayman & his horse black Bess became celebrated in 19th century pulp fiction

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jerome: $9,200
Katie: $6,400
Megan: $4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
16th CENTURY SCIENTISTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Jerome: Wager $3,601 to cover Katie.
Katie: You ought to wager to cover Megan, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $6,400. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $2,000 (to shut out Megan) or less than $800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Megan). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Jerome.
Megan: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $1,400), you might try betting $2,201, playing for a win if Katie tries to two-thirds Jerome (though, from this position, a wager of all $4,200 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Katie to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It is often said of this man that he "stopped the sun and moved the earth"

FINAL SCORES
Megan: $4,200 + $4,199 = $8,399 (Who is Copernicus?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Katie: $6,400 + $2,801 = $9,201 (Who is Copernicus) (New champion: $9,201)
Jerome: $9,200 - $3,601 = $5,599 (Who was Galileo?) (3rd place: $1,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jerome: $9,200, 20 R, 5 W
Katie: $8,800, 14 R, 3 W (including 2 DDs)
Megan: $6,200, 9 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $24,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jerome: 20/58 = .345
Katie: 15/60 = .250
Megan: 10/59 = .169
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OFFICE SEEKER, DISAPPOINTED $600: In 2012, this Pennsylvanian
could not overcome Mitt Romney

LITERARY SIGNIFICANT OTHERS $400: Tarzan
(Alex: Me Tarzan, you [*]. Good.)

MYTHS BUSTED BY MYTHBUSTERS $200: You can't pick up radio signals through one of these, whether gold or amalgam
(Alex: [*] in your teeth, right.)

A KILLEE'S HEELS $400: Early in "The Wizard of Oz", you see red heels on this witch's corpse before they morph onto Dorothy's feet
(Katie: Who is the Wicked Witch?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Kate: [*].)
(Alex: That's the one.)

A KILLEE'S HEELS $800: Drew Barrymore tries to run away, but Ghostface stabs her & drags her away by her feet in this 1996 film
(Jerome: What is Dick Tracy?)

NATIONAL SCENIC BYWAYS $400: South Dakota's Peter Norbeck scenic byway takes you past Harney Peak, Needle's Eye & this national memorial
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

COUNTRY MUSIC MOVERS & SHAKERS $800: You can crash his party any time
(Alex: You're a country music fan.
It's gonna pay off,
maybe.)

COUNTRY MUSIC MOVERS & SHAKERS $1600: On his death, he was praised as an ambassador
for the state of Tennessee and the greatest country singer of all time
(Katie: Who is Alan?)

THE HIGHWAYMEN $1600: Many a highwayman met his end at the "Tyburn tree", which was really this structure
(Jerome: What is a hanging post?)
(Hanging post?
We'll accept that.
It's a [*].)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Death Valley
Walter Mondale
Bananas
Nancy
Molly
paint
Janet Leigh
laurel wreath
Uruguay
Kellie Pickler
affluenza
the Zambezi
mandrill
camel
Dick Turpin
Copernicus
(Rick) Santorum
Jane
fillings
The Wicked Witch of the East
Scream
Mount Rushmore
Luke Bryan
George Jones
gallows
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

16th Century Scientists
It is often said of this man that he "Stopped the sun and moved the Earth".

Spoiler
Who is Copernicus? Jerome said Galileo.

Jerome Azbell: $9,200-$3,601=$5,599
Katie Wroblewski: $6,400+$2,801=$9,201...now a 1-day champion with $9,201
Megan Gardner: $4,200+$4,199=$8,399
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Jeopardy! being pre-empted for ABC News special on the downed jet on WABC.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I'll never understand why (in general, not just with this specific story) after interrupting regular programming during the day to tell us about it, then having the local and regularly scheduled national news give us plenty of updates, they think they need to preempt 7PM programming to talk about it even more, even if they're just repeating information we already have. *sigh*
Golf

Post by Golf »

TS on Janet Leigh in the shower in Psycho? Are you kidding me? I gotta assume TPTB are only auditioning those who scored UNDER 35 on the online test and perhaps that's why I haven't gotten an email this year.

To make matters worse, they knew Kelly Brook was in the awful remake of Piranha. Yeah, she got naked (which is always good when discussing her) but still. And this pervert recommends watching her in "Survival Island".

Traveling to visit family always takes me through Checotah, OK which used to have signs on the outskirts stating "Home of Carrie Underwood". Not there any more, perhaps she moved and they were forced to remove them.

After that abortion of a game, no surprise Katie wagered for the immediate tie on the last DD. Was hoping she'd get it just to see her wager $4000 or the like in FJ.

No surprise someone went with Galileo on FJ, but he's associated with the 17th century even though he was alive during the 16th.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash - Walter Mondale, "Bananas", Janet Leigh, Death Valley, camel

Reaganomics was overvalued at $2000.

Instaget FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:I'll never understand why (in general, not just with this specific story) after interrupting regular programming during the day to tell us about it, then having the local and regularly scheduled national news give us plenty of updates, they think they need to preempt 7PM programming to talk about it even more, even if they're just repeating information we already have. *sigh*
Sometimes this happens ...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dorsey/howard-s ... aysian-fli
Leander

Post by Leander »

Looks like WABC is showing Jeopardy at 7:30. It's on right now.

I live in CT and get both NY and CT stations. Oddly, the CT stations didn't pre-empt at 7 pm like the NY ones did.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Lucked out this time. Usually, that's a preemption followed by Wheel of Fortune and maybe they'll remember to air J! at 1:35 in the morning but probably not.

Instaget FJ, precalled both the right answer, and (once the clue was read) the fact that someone would say Galileo instead. Too bad it was the champ. *sigh* Can we get another 5 day champ before the end of the season? Not looking good.

Reaganomics for 2000?? :roll:
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Leander wrote:Looks like WABC is showing Jeopardy at 7:30. It's on right now.

I live in CT and get both NY and CT stations. Oddly, the CT stations didn't pre-empt at 7 pm like the NY ones did.
Yeah, even though Wheel of Fortune was a repeat tonight (who can tell, anyway?) it shocked me WABC went with J! instead of WoF.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yeah, "Janet Leigh" and "Walter Mondale" were very surprising triple stumpers.

I had some bad misses on Geography clues. "Death Valley" came to me on the J! round DD right after I blurted out "San Francisco," thinking of the earthquake. I had a hard time on that one since I didn't know what kind of geographic feature or region the clue was going for. I also said "Havana" for "Caracas." Then on that last DD I picked the wrong one on the coin flip between the Paraguay and Uruguay Rivers. My precall for that clue was the Oder River. I was getting so angry that the contestants kept going away from the $2000 geography clue and was afraid that it would be left uncovered. I didn't even realize that it could have been a DD; that would have made me even more angry, but since I lost the coin flip I now kind of wish that it had been left uncovered.

I am going to guess that at least half the board joined me in getting FJ off the category. Copernicus was the only 16th century scientist who I could think of off the top of my head, and then the clue left no doubt. I do kind of feel for the person who was in the lead and guessed Galileo; even though Galileo was too late he still wasn't a bad guess.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Second game in a row with under par scoring. :(

I sooo wanted Katie to get that last DD so we could have a conendrum with the tie for the lead with 3rd locked out.
I'm thinking she would have wagered $0, based on her silly wager that actually happened. If she assumed Jerome would make a zero wager in this scenario, would she do same in a lock tie?
Who knows what Jerome would have done. We'll hopefully find out if he comes on here.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

Literary: 2 Byway: 3 Office: 3 (Stupid guess: Hubert Humphrey) Heels: 4 Myths: 2 "A": 1
Country: 4/5 Highway: 1 "M": 1 Signs: 3 River: 3 Portmanteau: 3

Lach trash: "Janet Leigh", "Kellie Pickler", "Zambezi River", "camel", "Uruguay River"

I said Kepler instead of Copernicus, not having the greatest knowledge about their particular discoveries in astronomy. I did precall that the question would pertain to astronomers, and mentioned those guys.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I would have clamed on the Janet Leigh clue because I immediately remembered there was a stunt double for that scene, and puzzled that they might be going for that.
Actually, I'm not sure if any of the below the waist footage was actually that of Leigh. There could be a descrepency, even though no one buzzed in.

I got fooled on the Walter Mondale clue and said George McGovern.

Didn't get FJ. I just don't care enough about astronomers.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I ran the country music category. That concerns me.

Instaget FJ!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Category 13 wrote:I got fooled on the Walter Mondale clue and said George McGovern.
McGovern? He was SD, not MN.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote:
Category 13 wrote:I got fooled on the Walter Mondale clue and said George McGovern.
McGovern? He was SD, not MN.
Yep. Hey, at least they border each other.
I just knew he was from that region and got blown out of the water in '72.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

So what was FJ anyway? I missed the whole show zonked out on painkillers.
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

The best category for me tonight was 4/5 on office seeker, disappointed, only missed on Walter Mondale, I thought Hubert H Humphrey.
I never heard the word "Portmanteau" till tonight, did get 2/5, and then googled what it meant later.
For the Woody Allen question, I thought of another Woody Allen film "Manhattan" which also had three a's and later found out was also in the 70s; interesting he's directed two films with three a's in it.
I seriously thought the St. Augustine answer was the Ox, but I got confused with another great philosopher in St. Thomas Aquinas. I do get those two mixed up.
Instaget for Copernicus and for Lach Trash: Janet Leigh & Death Valley (FJ). It was hilarious when she said Pacific Coast as the answer!