Thursday, July 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Re: Thursday, July 17, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

Category 13 wrote:I would have clamed on the Janet Leigh clue because I immediately remembered there was a stunt double for that scene, and puzzled that they might be going for that.
Actually, I'm not sure if any of the below the waist footage was actually that of Leigh. There could be a descrepency, even though no one buzzed in.
Oh sure, in a top row clue in the first round they're trying to trick you with the name of a stunt double that nobody knows the name of. Awesome logic.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
cosmos
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cosmos »

psgola wrote:For the Woody Allen question, I thought of another Woody Allen film "Manhattan" which also had three a's and later found out was also in the 70s; interesting he's directed two films with three a's in it.
The year after "Bananas" was "Play It Again, Sam" and "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid to Ask)."

Nine a's in one year!

OK, he didn't direct "Sam." I forgot.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DHicton wrote:Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Not ignoring you, Doug. I just don't remember what it was. :oops:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
DHicton wrote:Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Not ignoring you, Doug. I just don't remember what it was. :oops:
FJ! Category: 16TH CENTURY SCIENTISTS

FJ! Clue: It is often said of this man that he "stopped the sun and moved the Earth"
Sam Hobbs
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Sam Hobbs »

If anyone knows when they will show this episode for KABC Los Angeles then it will help to let us know. I have searched and I have not found anything saying when it will be shown.

I believe that in the past they have shown pre-empted episodes on the day after it is scheduled and then shown a new episode on Saturday but since they are not doing that in other cities for this episode I assume they will not do it for us (Los Angeles) either.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm glad that affluenza clue was not one for the FJ! round. I may have needed more than 30 seconds to get it. Looks like April 2013 was the previous time for a portmanteau category although the word did appear in one clue a few months back.

2 for me in Country Music with Idol alums Underwood and Pickler.

Ah, Piranha 3D on opening day. There were some excellent scenes. It's the audience reaction to what happened to Jerry O'Connell though that made it worthwhile to have seen it in the theater. Right up there with the Annie Wilkes hobbling.

Janet Leigh a stumper was sad, but it's better than someone guessing Anne Heche.

16th Century Scientists had me crossing my fingers that I learned and still recalled enough from Cosmos to get it. Corpernicus on the paper and Galileo for an expected wrong guess. Like I've mentioned I watch live. Otherwise I would have sped through 28 seconds.

Katie survived two DD misses. Good thing for her the wagers were not too big.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Too bad it was the champ. *sigh* Can we get another 5 day champ before the end of the season? Not looking good.
It was a lost cause already since two weeks of Teens close out the season starting next week.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: Too bad it was the champ. *sigh* Can we get another 5 day champ before the end of the season? Not looking good.
It was a lost cause already since two weeks of Teens close out the season starting next week.
Bah...well, I guess it's better than Kids week, but not by much.
RKane
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RKane »

xxaaaxx wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Bah...well, I guess it's better than Kids week, but not by much.
You never know.... We might get another Leonard Cooper :D
I'm done. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yes, I ran the Country Music category.

Otherwise, my brain was sluggish. Couldn't pull Jane, fillings, Hermione Granger, or pajamas in time. Between that, clamming on Bananas (would've been a WAG), and having NHO "faraway look", I was 0/15 at the first break.
TS on Janet Leigh in the shower in Psycho? Are you kidding me?
I had to hold my tongue on that one because I knew it was Leigh, but I had the wrong first name (Vivien) and almost blurted that out.
Golf wrote:Oh sure, in a top row clue in the first round they're trying to trick you with the name of a stunt double that nobody knows the name of. Awesome logic.
Considering some of the ringers they've thrown at the top box before (Gigi Levangie Grazer, anyone?), I wouldn't put it past them.

Lach Trash on Kellie Pickler and Mandrill.

3/5 in Animals. Had brainlock upon seeing "aquatic mammal". Otter? No, not them, they don't begin with M. Mink? No, they're only semi-aquatic. Shoot, what else is aquatic and begins with M? Seal, walrus, sea lion, dolphin, orca... dang it, what am I missing?! Also NHO martin birds.

Insta-miss with Galileo. Copernicus never occurred to me.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Did Katie have a Penultimate Wager?
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Vermonter wrote:Did Katie have a Penultimate Wager?
When she hit the DD there was one more clue left on the board, but time sounded before it was revealed.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

My impression is that in the last few weeks we've seen a lot more DD-hunting by contestants. It's tempting to attribute this to Arthur Chu's influence. But then, we've seen hardly anyone adopt the two other most conspicuous elements of Arthur's strategy: (1) large DD wagers, often TDD, and (2) wagering to tie in FJ. So given that, I wonder whether I am correct that there has been more DD-hunting. I think we know from Julia Collins's interviews exactly which games were taped after Arthur's run began airing. So has anybody tracked systematically, the number of contestants who followed a DD-hunting strategy (or more generally a Forrest Bounce strategy) before, during, and after Arthur Chu's run?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Mathew5000 wrote:My impression is that in the last few weeks we've seen a lot more DD-hunting by contestants. It's tempting to attribute this to Arthur Chu's influence. But then, we've seen hardly anyone adopt the two other most conspicuous elements of Arthur's strategy: (1) large DD wagers, often TDD, and (2) wagering to tie in FJ. So given that, I wonder whether I am correct that there has been more DD-hunting. I think we know from Julia Collins's interviews exactly which games were taped after Arthur's run began airing. So has anybody tracked systematically, the number of contestants who followed a DD-hunting strategy (or more generally a Forrest Bounce strategy) before, during, and after Arthur Chu's run?
On the contrary, there have been quite a few wagers to tie from the leader in FJ, probably at least 5 or 6 over the last 6 weeks or so, though I haven't been counting. I would suspect that at least some of these are a result of players seeing Arthur Chu do it, even if they don't entirely understand the reasoning behind it.

Okay, I didn't want to be wrong, so I went ahead and counted, and it turns out it has happened 4 times in the last month, 6/23, 7/10, 7/11, 7/15. These are all games where the leader bet to reach double second place's score but did not add the extra dollar. It does not include games where the leader was already in a lock-tie position.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

jeff6286 wrote:Okay, I didn't want to be wrong, so I went ahead and counted, and it turns out it has happened 4 times in the last month, 6/23, 7/10, 7/11, 7/15. These are all games where the leader bet to reach double second place's score but did not add the extra dollar. It does not include games where the leader was already in a lock-tie position.
Also 7/9.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

cosmos wrote:
psgola wrote:For the Woody Allen question, I thought of another Woody Allen film "Manhattan" which also had three a's and later found out was also in the 70s; interesting he's directed two films with three a's in it.
The year after "Bananas" was "Play It Again, Sam" and "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid to Ask)."

Nine a's in one year!

OK, he didn't direct "Sam." I forgot.
After the success of Annie Hall, it was rumored that he was superstitious about nine letter titles, so his next two films were Interiors and Manhattan. Later nine letter titles were September and Celebrity.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

silverscreentest wrote: After the success of Annie Hall, it was rumored that he was superstitious about nine letter titles, so his next two films were Interiors and Manhattan. Later nine letter titles were September and Celebrity.
Radio Days too.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

psgola wrote:For the Woody Allen question, I thought of another Woody Allen film "Manhattan" which also had three a's and later found out was also in the 70s
I said, "Going Bananas". Then upon hearing the correct answer, I said to myself, "Oh, "Going Bananas" must've been that stupid Donny and Marie movie." Then I looked it up and discovered that the Donny and Marie movie was called "Goin' Coconuts"!

Stupid brain.
Sheepin' it real.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Golf wrote:TS on Janet Leigh in the shower in Psycho? Are you kidding me? I gotta assume TPTB are only auditioning those who scored UNDER 35 on the online test and perhaps that's why I haven't gotten an email this year.
More likely people under 35, whose taste in the horror/suspense genre goes more to the Scream movies (yes, I missed that one -- I couldn't remember which horror film she was in, they kind of all blend together), and not to Psycho. At least no one said Anne Heche.

Did surprisingly well with the country singers, even though I don't (generally) listen to them. I've seen Underwood and Pickler in concert (Mrs. Spiff is a big fan of Carrie, and Pickler was the warmup act for another band we saw). Carrie is one of those who puts on quite an impressive show, and was definitely worth the money.

FJ was an instaget, though I was having doubts with Galileo. Stuck with the Pole.