Wednesday, November 16, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Re: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by RobotJepLady »

Welcome, Emily! Nice win in the previous game! (I graduated from Middletown High, so I was rooting hard for you.) And thank you for pronouncing the Mel Brooks movie title correctly. ;)

Instaget on FJ for me... but I'm a bit of an English history junkie, and wound up studying economics, so I'm somewhat decent on business history type stuff. And I too was wondering what Alex had been smoking when he mentioned Gorbachev...
Thanks, Mam! I came to the forums a couple of weeks ago, looking for reactions to my first game, which I didn't get to see because of the blackout. I saw that you had been rooting for me from Portland, so I was glad at least someone around here saw it live. I'm a relative newcomer to these parts; moved here ten years ago, so I didn't go to high school locally.

My mom took a couple of classes specifically in the history of insurance, and she said she would never have gotten FJ as written. I knew my response was wrong, since the Mermaid Tavern was much older than the given year, but it beat the pants off of "What is...I've got nothing?" or "What is a company not founded in my kitchen?"
RobotJepLady
Valued Contributor

Post by RobotJepLady »

cinemaniax7 wrote:I'm pleased to say I knew FJ because I just happened to write about the maritime origins of insurance in my new book!
Oooh, could you mail it to me two months ago? :)
Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Frank Hardy »

A standing ovation for Ellen for making a rational wager from third place in FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: And she wasn't out in Left Field with the Mermaid Tavern: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid_Tavern
I was curious enough to click your link. Check out the name between Beaumont and Selden.

The FJ clue had me looking for a drink and sailing link. Lipton's Tea had to be wrong as I knew the year in the clue was a couple of hundred years off. Starbucks was a distractor as well with a coffee/whaling theme. Clicking the pieces to solve the clue was not going to happen in 30 seconds. I needed pondering time as is given with the Ken Jennings Tuesday Trivia and I would have got to Lloyd's before the week was over.

I lost a coin toss in calling the Explorer a probe instead of first instinct satellite. Grecian Urn was a better DD for me to solve.

Emily: Welcome and was there some kind of edit with your interview story? I thought I noticed a jump at the end.

Or perhaps the writers knew they needed to shave time to make sure all the sacred clues got in from Gilligan's Island. I know already by reading posts here I was not alone in wanting to play all five there and it didn't look hopeful at the end of the round.

If Ellen's raft/call of nature story was day one then I'm not even sure I want to know what makes day two. Or is that number two? [ducks]
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

As soon as they introduced Ellen as a retired math teacher I knew she would be the one to dethrone the returning champ

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2197

(previous victim of a math teacher named Ellen)
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Could not believe Rosie O'Donnell was a Triple Stumper.

Clue zero on FJ!
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I'm pretty sure the FJ info came up in the "Final Jeopardy clues" thread on the old Sony board.
I'm smart and I want respect.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

NoWhammies10 wrote:Also, apparently Aleve pays the consolation prizes now. Huh.
They have for several weeks now, actually (look at the note at the top of the page). Aside from the ToC (they'd have to sell a LOT of Aleve to pony up approximately half a million dollars!) they've had that in every show since that one.

Got FJ, but it was only around 25, when I finally managed to wrap my head around the clue (focussing on the "maritime" part, and, fortuitously, thinking "some kind of insurance company" early on) - was worried if I could write it all in time (was half tempted to stay with just "Lloyd's"). I admit it wasn't the best worded clue, and I fully sympathize with those that couldn't make heads or tails of it, including the players.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Could not believe Rosie O'Donnell was a Triple Stumper.
Because she is best forgotten.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

RJL wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote:I'm pleased to say I knew FJ because I just happened to write about the maritime origins of insurance in my new book!

Ooh, sorry.
shubhaghosh
Contributor

Post by shubhaghosh »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
RJL wrote:

Ooh, sorry.

Actually the topic interests me. What is the title of the book?
oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

Insta-get FJ, but I'm an insurance guy, and I recently read a novel (set in early 18th century England) that both touched on early maritime insurance and had a lot of the action take place in coffee shops, so the coffee shop reference didn't mislead me at all. I wouldn't expect many to know this FJ.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

oddsox wrote:Insta-get FJ, but I'm an insurance guy, and I recently read a novel (set in early 18th century England) that both touched on early maritime insurance and had a lot of the action take place in coffee shops, so the coffee shop reference didn't mislead me at all. I wouldn't expect many to know this FJ.
Interesting! I read that book years ago (and liked it, as well as its immediate sequel) so maybe that was in the back of my mind for FJ last night. Regardless, I managed to stumble upon the right answer (without a lot of conviction) about halfway through the think music.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by seaborgium »

If I had been Emily, I might have been tempted to bet $0 on FJ. This was the weird "first equals third plus half of second" scenario, with Ellen's $10,600 being exactly halfway between Ellen's $13,200 and Will's $8,000 he would fall to if he offered Emily a tie and got FJ wrong. I figured Ellen for one who would wager no more than $2,600, and International Business is a tough FJ category for me to get confident about. I understand why she didn't do it, but $0 would have served Emily well. (Welcome and congrats, Emily!)

I was even further from FJ, with my response of Old Spice!
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by heisman65 »

Would bathhouses work for Turkish baths?
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

RJL wrote:
mam418 wrote:Welcome, Emily! Nice win in the previous game! (I graduated from Middletown High, so I was rooting hard for you.) And thank you for pronouncing the Mel Brooks movie title correctly. ;)

Instaget on FJ for me... but I'm a bit of an English history junkie, and wound up studying economics, so I'm somewhat decent on business history type stuff. And I too was wondering what Alex had been smoking when he mentioned Gorbachev...
Thanks, Mam! I came to the forums a couple of weeks ago, looking for reactions to my first game, which I didn't get to see because of the blackout. I saw that you had been rooting for me from Portland, so I was glad at least someone around here saw it live. I'm a relative newcomer to these parts; moved here ten years ago, so I didn't go to high school locally.

My mom took a couple of classes specifically in the history of insurance, and she said she would never have gotten FJ as written. I knew my response was wrong, since the Mermaid Tavern was much older than the given year, but it beat the pants off of "What is...I've got nothing?" or "What is a company not founded in my kitchen?"
I was wondering about that at the time - with so much of the state without power that week, I was hoping you got to see it. (I live down on the shore now - got lucky and never lost power.)

And I always wonder... would Alex get the joke about "(fill in the blank) in my kitchen"? I like to think he would... but sometimes I think his sense of humor chip needs rebooting...

I did like the commiseration with Ellen about not being able to go if cows are watching you. Don't know why, but that just cracked me the heck up. :lol:
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

I thought it especially odd that Rosie O'Donnell came up because Emily reminded me a little bit of a younger version of Rosie. (Sorry, Emily - please don't hate me!!)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Frank Hardy wrote:A standing ovation for Ellen for making a rational wager from third place in FJ.

Amen, and amen.

For some reason I precalled that FJ would be a TS...just thought the category was odd enough that no one would get it. My next thought was, "Will Ellen be shrewd enough to bet right and win on the TS?" This win is much credit to her wagering savvy. After watching 10-12 contestants lost games last seasons in similar situations, this was refreshing.

Also on FJ, I remembered reading something in recent months on this subject (can't imagine what or under what circumstances I would have been reading it, though) which made FJ an instaget for me. My wife was so impressed that she suggested maybe some day I should try to get on the show.

:? :roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had the East India Tea Company for FJ.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

KenJenningsFan74 wrote:The speed of the regular games certainly is different from that of the Tournament of Champions, and it takes a while to get used to the shift in pace. The biggest change in speed that I've ever witnessed was the switch from Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter and Jerome Vered in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions finals to the regular games the next day. The defending champion and two challengers were all very good, I'm sure, but the game seemed to move at a snail's pace compared to the lightning action from just twenty-four hours earlier.
One thing I noticed, when Alex takes us to a commercial break, during the TOC, the camera pan on the stage lasted much much longer than it did during today's game. Normal games tend to go, "...after this", then one second of camera shot over the stage, then commercial. TOC would hang over the stage for a good 5-10 seconds before the cut to commercial break.

Might not seem like much, but it was really noticeable for me.
shubhaghosh wrote:Got FJ based on maritime, the 1688 date, and the hint that the business is still around. The coffee house hint was a diversion. Never heard of the champion's answer.
Twining's is another tea brand. I had to snicker at it; I have a Twining's Earl Gray in the morning as I watch the previous day's Jeopardy. :lol: (I'll likely have to bring along a couple packets if(when?) I get The Call.)

Clue zero on FJ!
Could not believe Lloyd's of London was a Triple Stumper.

Clue zero on Rosie O'Donnell :D

I don't think Lloyd's was that bad of a clue, but it felt out of place for a normal game. Maritime, the year, still around pretty much assured me I got it right on the reveal, but it seemed pretty obscure to focus on Lloyd's origin. I would have expected a TOM with, say, Michael Flatley's legs or another of their esoteric insurance policies.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)