Friday, July 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6890, 2014-07-25

2014 Teen Tournament quarterfinal game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Joe Taglic, a senior from Valley Stream, New York
Sydney Mokel, a senior from South Windsor, Connecticut
Sam Lerner, a sophomore from Indianapolis, Indiana

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Well, ladies and gentlemen, we are less than 30 minutes away from finding out the names of the nine players who come back to our program next week to compete for $75,000. Four previous winners
from this week, and today's winner, as well, are guaranteed. Sam, Sydney, and Joe, pick up those signalling devices and good luck to you. Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HUNGER AIMS (5/5)
IT'S A PLANET (5/5)
AROUND THE BODY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SUMMER OLYMPIC SPORTS (5/5)
HUE (5/5)
CRY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sam: 13 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Joe: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Sydney: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joe found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Sam had $2,600, Sydney was scoreless, and Joe was at $400. Joe wagered $1,000.

AROUND THE BODY $600: The system inside these organs is commonly called the bronchial tree

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joe: $3,200
Sam: $3,200
Sydney: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Joe Taglic is a senior at Regis High School. That wasn't named for Regis Philbin, was it?
Joe: No, the other way around, in fact. Regis was named for our high school.
Alex: Really?
Joe: Yep. His father went there.
Alex: Now, Regis High School is on the Upper East Side.
Joe: Correct.
Alex: You live on Long Island. That's a long schlepp every day.
Joe: Yeah, I take a train into Penn Station, and then a half-hour subway.
Alex: What's special about Regis High?
Joe: It's the only Catholic, tuition-free school In the country, so...
Alex: Tuition-free?
Joe: Tuition-free. So everyone there is attending on a scholarship, because we're chosen from the entire tri-state area --So New Jersey, Connecticut, Westchester, Long Island, the city itself --and we're a good group of guys.
Alex: Okay, when you go back to school, you ought to tell some of your classmates and schoolmates to try out for Jeopardy! A lot of bright people there.
Joe: Of course!

Alex: Sydney Mokel from South Windsor, Connecticut. A senior at South Windsor High. Promised her French exchange student something --what?
Sydney: Well, I promised her I'd win Jeopardy! or at least try --
Alex: But did she know what Jeopardy! was?
Sydney: I think she had a vague idea. But she did tell me that I'm gonna use my earnings to visit her in France, then we're going to Corsica.
Alex: Then to Corsica. Why Corsica?
Sydney: She said it's just nice.
Alex: Oh, okay. That's her suggestion. Good for you.

Alex: Sam Lerner, sophomore from Indianapolis.
Sam: Mm-hmm.
Alex: Now, it doesn't show, but he is the shortest competitor In the teen tournament this year. He's standing on a box, here, that is about three feet high.
[ laughter ]
Alex: How tall are you?
Sam: I'm about 5 foot.
Alex: And you play intramural basketball.
Sam: I do. [ chuckles ]
Alex: And you're pretty good at it.
Sam: I like to think that I'm all right.
Alex: Point guard?
Sam: I usually play shooting guard.
Alex: Shooting guard. Okay, that's even better.
Sam: Yeah.
Alex: More glory for you.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joe: $6,400
Sam: $5,800
Sydney: $3,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STATE CAPITALS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BUGS (0/0)
MOVIES (0/0)
KNOW YOUR "RIGHT"S (0/0)
NONFICTION (0/0)
A CAMPUS TOUR (0/0)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sydney: 1 R, 1 W
Sam: 1 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Joe: 1 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 5
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sam snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Sam had $4,600, Sydney had $2,800, and Joe was at $3,600. Sam wagered $1,400.

STATE CAPITALS $1600: Its family history library on NW Temple St. has over 2.4 million rolls of microfilmed genealogical records

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STATE CAPITALS $2000: It sits on the Mississippi across the river from the sugar plantations that gave the area the name "Sugar Bowl of America"
(Joe: what is Jackson?)
(Sydney: what is Columbia?)
(Sam: what is Montgomery?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joe: $4,000
Sam: $3,200
Sydney: $2,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WEBSITES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First and a half equals second plus third. Stratton's Dilemma.
Joe: Wager $2,400--wagering any more risks falling behind Sydney's wager of $1,200.
Sam: You have a choice of wagering $0 (to win on a Triple Stumper), between $2,401 and $1,599 (to win if Joe is wrong and you are right while still winning on a Triple Stumper if Sydney wagers as recommended or higher), or going all-in with a wager of $3,200 for the win or tie if you give the correct response (and provided Joe is wrong or doesn't wager to cover or wagers less for some obscure reason). Since winning on a Triple Stumper is probably the likeliest of these outcomes, a wager in the $2,401-$1,599 range is best. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $2,400 (to shut out Sydney) or less than $1,600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Sydney). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Joe.
Sydney: Wagering $1,200 ties Joe's $0 wager and beats Joe's standard shutout bet of $2,401 by $1 on the Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A slang term for Harvard's freshman register gave this website its name

FINAL SCORES
Sydney: $2,800 + $11,001 = $13,801 (What is Facebook?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Sam: $3,200 + $9,600 = $12,800 (What is Facebook?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Joe: $4,000 + $9,998 = $13,998 (What is Facebook?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sam: $4,600, 14 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Joe: $3,600, 12 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Sydney: $2,800, 7 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $11,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Sam: 15/59 = .254
Joe: 13/59 = .220
Sydney: 8/58 = .138
Team: 36/63 = .571

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SUMMER OLYMPIC SPORTS $200: Springboard & platform are 2 divisions of this acrobatic sport
(Joe: What is field?)

SUMMER OLYMPIC SPORTS $600: This martial art, that involves throwing your opponent, takes its name from the Japanese for "way of suppleness."

IT'S A PLANET $800: Named for the first ruler of the universe in Greek mythology, it was the first to be discovered by telescope
(Sam: What is Saturn?)

IT'S A PLANET $1000: Methane clouds in its atmosphere give it a distinctive look.

HUNGER AIMS $1000: What's in the cupboard...? Oh boy, a can of Del Monte's extra-long spears of this veggie
(Sam: What are green beans?)

HUNGER AIMS $600: In 2014 Subway offered a chicken enchilada melt that added these chips inside the sandwich
(Joe: What are Doritos?)

STATE CAPITALS $800: This capital's Kawaiaha'o church is known as the "Westminster Abbey of the Pacific"
(Joe: what is Hawaii?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
lungs
Salt Lake City
Baton Rouge
Facebook
diving
judo
Uranus
Neptune
asparagus
Fritos
Honolulu
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Websites
A slang term for Harvard's freshman register gave this website its name.

Spoiler
What is Facebook?

Sydney Mokel: $13,000+$11,001=$24,001...Automatic Semi-Finalist
Joe Taglic: $12,000+$9,998=$21,998
Sam Lerner: $10,400+$9,600=$20,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The close scores along with them all being in the borderline territory for a wild card made for an exciting finish. I got FJ right, but wasn't certain and it was mostly a guess.

Though they did not know it, all three were assured of a wild card by betting zero. I was worried we'd have a tough FJ and two of them would miss out.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Excellent game by all three players, and fun to watch.

Lach trash: Baton Rouge.

Instaget FJ.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

My only miss before the first commercial break was on the first clue of the game; I said "gymnastics" for "diving."

The DJ round was more challenging. I had no idea on the "Salt Lake City" DD, but I did get "Baton Rouge."

My precall for FJ was "Craigslist." I wouldn't be surprised to see this one poll at 100%.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Had my best game of the week, got FJ! (it was a WAG). I have not kept that many Coryats, but I shattered my Coryat record tonight, despite being at $-600 after two clues. I thought DJ! was exceptionally easy.

Although the players were good, I thought the pre-FJ! from the four preceding games were more impressive than any of tonight's players, but tonight's players were very evenly matched.

This easy FJ! was somewhat unfair to several earlier contestants, but, it is just part of the game. Some wildcard contenders will get easier FJ!s than others.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

First time that I figured out that a contestant wasn't Mormon when trying to answer a daily double. Easiest FJ saved for the last game, last remaining players get the wild cards.

Lach Trash: Baton Rouge, Salt Lake City. Thought about Guns, Germs & Steel, but held off, because Jared Diamond had written a few books since then.

After a bad week at FJ, got a break tonight.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

41 out of 60.

Hunger: 4/5 Planets: 2/5 Body: 3/5 Sports: 3/5 Hue: 3/5 Cry: 3/5
State: 5/5 (Salt Lake City because of "Temple") Bugs: 1/5 Movies: 4/5 "Right": 3/5 Nonfiction: 5/5 Campus: 5/5

Lach trash: "Baton Rouge", "Guns, Germs, and Steel" (DD- Salt Lake City)

Instaget FJ- knew the backstory about Zuckerberg at Harvard.
countyguy

Post by countyguy »

Ryno wrote: Easiest FJ saved for the last game, last remaining players get the wild cards.
That sort of reminds me of something. It is kind of as if they decided that they were going to give the players a reward for their patience in waiting in the Green Room for so long. :mrgreen:
StevenH wrote: I wouldn't be surprised to see this one poll at 100%.
Emancipation Proclamation polled at 100%. However, there will probably be one or two people who miss it, thinking Harvard->college->some college website, or forget about Facebook, because these FJ!s so rarely poll at 100?, and many people who make such predictions are wrong. In this game, a comparably easy website FJ! had a couple of misses.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had images of Cindy Brady when they were stumbling on the Baton Rouge clue.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Got the missed DD-Salt Lake City. Being LDS (and having lived 45 minutes away from there for 10 years) sure helped with that.

Not sure on Final...I started in the wrong place (LinkedIn, Rate My Professors, etc.) and after about 5 seconds, my dad shouted out FB. I probably would've gotten it eventually, but I'll never be sure.

I love high-scoring games like this. Congrats to all three for a well-played game, though I was sad to see Erin go.
davey

Post by davey »

countyguy wrote:
Ryno wrote: Easiest FJ saved for the last game, last remaining players get the wild cards.
That sort of reminds me of something. It is kind of as if they decided that they were going to give the players a reward for their patience in waiting in the Green Room for so long. :mrgreen:
Emancipation Proclamation polled at 100%. However, there will probably be one or two people who miss it, thinking Harvard->college->some college website, or forget about Facebook, because these FJ!s so rarely poll at 100?, and many people who make such predictions are wrong. In this game, a comparably easy website FJ! had a couple of misses.
I'm waiting for the post that says, I've never used Facebook so I had no chance with this FJ!
countyguy

Post by countyguy »

davey wrote:
countyguy wrote:
I'm waiting for the post that says, I've never used Facebook so I had no chance with this FJ!
I've never used facebook, but I have heard of it and got this FJ!
psgola
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by psgola »

That was a really excellent game from those three!
I got 5/5 on Summer Olympic Sports & A Campus Tour, however no Lach Trash for me today.
Instaget on FJ
If it certainly is true that the people on the quarterfinals don't watch and know the other scores, these three certainly played the risk/reward game to the fullest.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I deserved that one. After making a Baton Rouge joke about one of the players in the Wednesday game I did not get the Baton Rouge clue tonight. That's okay. 51/60 and 42400 Coryat are very good for me in Teen Week (or any week).

Slim Jims and asparagus were ones I did not know to make me not have to regret not getting Mars. I would have hated a 29/30 round.

Sam knows sports, plays sports and was on a raised platform to play. I'm glad he made the semis.

That was a nice even match and a good finish to the week. Even though the clue went 3/3 on the show I will not predict a 100% on our poll. We must have some boardies who don't care for social media, have not seen the Fincher movie, and along the way have not picked up the Harvard history about the site.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

psgola wrote:That was a really excellent game from those three!
I got 5/5 on Summer Olympic Sports & A Campus Tour, however no Lach Trash for me today.
Instaget on FJ
If it certainly is true that the people on the quarterfinals don't watch and know the other scores, these three certainly played the risk/reward game to the fullest.
Yes, believe everyone who keep answering. Quarterfinal contestants are in the green room with loud movies playing and hear nothing from the set. They are given no information about games that happen before they play. There is no advantage to playing last in knowing what scores are needed to advance. It's true, confirmed, the straight dope.

Many people here have been contestants in tournament formats. They are not guessing, supposing, or assuming. It's first hand direct knowledge.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:I deserved that one. After making a Baton Rouge joke about one of the players in the Wednesday game I did not get the Baton Rouge clue tonight.
I was unsure of that one until I noticed "Sugar Bowl" was in the clue in reference to the area. The Sugar Bowl football game is played in Louisiana, so that led me to Red Stick.
Sam knows sports, plays sports and was on a raised platform to play. I'm glad he made the semis.
I noticed Sybill clammed her way through the sports category as quietly as Jeff did Katy Perry and it paid off for both.
That was a nice even match and a good finish to the week. Even though the clue went 3/3 on the show I will not predict a 100% on our poll. We must have some boardies who don't care for social media, have not seen the Fincher movie, and along the way have not picked up the Harvard history about the site.
I doubt it will be 100% and may go good to top 90%. It took me a bit and only got it by remembering Zuckerberg went to Harvard.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: We must have some boardies who don't care for social media, have not seen the Fincher movie, and along the way have not picked up the Harvard history about the site.
Dang, 2-3. But I do know the site's history. (I'm also sure that movie's in my Netflix queue, but my Netflix queue also contains around 479 other titles...sooooooo...)

Edit: I looked. It's #208. So...by mid 2016 I should be getting around to it.
(2 per week, 52 weeks a year, etc, etc.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Sage on the Hudson

The core problem with Alex's pronunciation

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Sorry, Alex, but the "p” in a name like the fictional "Omnicorp," or the sadly all-too-real Newscorp, is not silent.

The "ps" in corps, such as United States Marine Corps, are silent.

The former is an abbreviation, the latter a word, and each has nothing to do with the other.