Monday, July 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6891, 2014-07-28

2014 Teen Tournament semifinal game 1.

CONTESTANTS
William Golden, a seventh grader from Houston, Texas
Jeff Xie, a junior from Edison, New Jersey
Sydney Mokel, a senior from South Windsor, Connecticut

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome to the sudden-death portion of our Teen Championship. The winners of the next three games get to come back on Thursday and Friday to play for $75,000. Those players who do not advance --and I won't refer to them as losers --go home with $10,000 apiece. William, Jeff, and Sydney, good luck.
Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LET'S VISIT D.C. (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SHOP CLASS (3/5)
DOUBLE TALK (5/5)
FOOD, FAST & SLOW (3/5)
TV (3/5)
PLAYWRONGS (4/5) (Alex: You have to give us the correct title of the play.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sydney: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jeff: 5 R, 1 W
William: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sydney found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Sydney had $2,400, Jeff had $1,000, and William was at $1,000. Sydney wagered $1,600.

LET'S VISIT D.C. $1000: Though he didn't even live to see 1777, he's honored with a statue for his contribution to the American Revolution

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sydney: $3,200
William: $1,800
Jeff: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: In the tournament this year, at the age of 13. But as successful as he is on our show, he's even more successful as a member of a trivia team. Tell the folks about that.
William: Yes, so, every Wednesday, I go and I play trivia and eat buffalo wings and...
Alex: And who's your partner usually?
William: Yeah, my dad comes, and, yeah, we go with a group of adults.
Alex: Uh-huh. Who's the more important member of the team? Who comes up with most of the correct responses --you or dad?
William: Mm...Me.
[ laughter ]
Alex: That's okay. He's very proud of you.

Alex: Jeff Xie is a junior from Edison, New Jersey. And you like collecting data on things.
Jeff: Yes, I do. So, one of the main things I like collecting data on Is part of this program called the Community Collaborative Rain, Snow & Hail Nnetwork, or Cocorahs, where people
around the country sign up --
Alex: Wait a minute. Say that slowly.
Jeff: Community Collaborative Rain, Snow & Hail Network. It's based in Colorado State University and it's a network where many people around the country can buy rain gauges --about $20 or so. And they just put them on a porch, and they collect rain and snow, and they report it to a network In Colorado State University online, where they can dissect data.
Alex: That's wonderful.
Jeff: It's really neat.
Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Sydney Mokel, I have some bad news before we get to chat. You gave a slightly incorrect response a little while ago regarding that show about "The American Teenager," not "An American Teenager," so we have to deduct $1,600. But don't worry about that. You've been a member of the Girl Scouts For a long time now, right?
Sydney: Yeah, 10 years.
Alex: 10 years. Are you guys still selling cookies?
Sydney: Maybe not as much as we did when we were kids, but we're still having fun.
Alex: Good. What's the price of a box of cookies now? Because --is it up to $16 or some fantastic number?
Sydney: Only if you buy four. It also depends on the state.
Alex: Okay. Thank you so much.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PLAYWRONGS $600: Simon:
"Brighton Beach Mammoths"

TV $800: The "secret" that Shailene Woodley had in the first few episodes of this series: she was pregnant
(Sydney: What is The Secret Life of an American Teenager?)

[Sydney was originally credited with a correct response, but it was reversed after the first commercial break]

TV $1000: Rachel Bilson plays Dr. Zoe Hart on this southern-fried show

FOOD, FAST & SLOW $200: Martha Stewart's quick way to make these eggs it to remove them from the water just as it starts to boil
(Jeff: What are eggs Benedict?)
(Sydney: What are poached eggs?)
(William: What are scrambled eggs?)

FOOD, FAST & SLOW $800: A couple of minutes in the microwavable sleeve makes these Nestle meat & cheese sandwiches

SHOP CLASS $200: Shop class has gone high-tech with skills like using these semiconductor devices that work like tiny bulbs

SHOP CLASS $1000: Appropriately, this retailer opened its first store on the 21st of April, 1984--oops, that's for shopping class, not shop class
(William: What is Apple?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sydney: $6,200
Jeff: $3,000
William: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 28, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
21st CENTURY NEWS (4/5)
CELEBRITIES (3/5)
THE GEOGRAPHIC CENTER (4/5)
STAMPS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHEMICAL ELEMENTS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MIDDLE A (3/5) (Alex: The letter "A" will be in the exact center of each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jeff: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
William: 7 R, 2 W
Sydney: 5 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sydney snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Sydney had $7,800, Jeff had $4,200, and William was at $1,600. Sydney wagered $2,200.

CHEMICAL ELEMENTS $800: The Roman numeral for 100 is also the symbol for this element
(Sydney: What is xenon?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jeff who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Sydney had $5,200, Jeff had $10,200, and William was at $10,000. Jeff wagered $2,000.

STAMPS $2000: A stamp commemorating the War of 1812 features the battle of this lake

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
21st CENTURY NEWS $1600: In 2007 Israel bombed a Syrian site tha tintelligence showed was one of these built with North Korean help

STAMPS $400: It's a flag! It's an anthem! It's a patriotic stamp

STAMPS $800: A circular holiday stamp depicts an evergreen one of these decorations
(William: What is a Christmas tree?)

CHEMICAL ELEMENTS $400: By mass, it's the most abundant element in the Earth's crust & in your body
(Sydney: What is carbon?)
(William: What is iron?)

MIDDLE A $1600: This Navy rank just below captian sure sounds like it knows how to give orders

MIDDLE A $2000: Japanese massage technique using acupressure

THE GEOGRAPHIC CENTER $2000: Of this big country: Evenkia, on Lake Vivi; its only resident, Anatoly, died in 2003
(Sydney: What is Turkey?)

CELEBRITIES $1600: In 2014 this actress & Ashton Kutcher announced their engagement

CELEBRITIES $2000: In 2013 this singer became a new mom, giving birth to son Axl Jack Duhamel

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jeff: $12,200
William: $10,000
Sydney: $6,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC TRANSPORTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Jeff: Wager $7,801 to cover William.
William: You have to wager $2,801 to cover Sydney's doubled score, but certainly no more than $3,599, so as to force Sydney to be right to have a chance at winning.
Sydney: Think about risking $2,000 or less, thereby beating Jeff on the Triple Stumper (should Jeff wager to cover William's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its principal mast is at Arlington, its foremast is at the Naval Academy & a monument to it, restored in 2013, is located in Havana

FINAL SCORES
Sydney: $6,400 - $6,400 = $0 (What is the USS M Lusila) (3rd place: $10,000)
William: $10,000 + $7,801 = $17,801 (What is the Maine?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Jeff: $12,200 + $7,801 = $20,001 (What is the U.S.S. Maine?) (Finalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jeff: $12,200, 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
William: $10,000, 13 R, 4 W
Sydney: $8,000, 17 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $30,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Sydney: 17/60 = .283
William: 14/58 = .241
Jeff: 14/59 = .237
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LET'S VISIT D.C. $200: The memorial to this man was dedicated on April 13, 1943, the 200th anniversary of his birth

LET'S VISIT D.C. $400: Seen here at holiday time,
the Red Room in this landmark is often used for parties

LET'S VISIT D.C. $600: In 2010, six names were added to the memorial for veterans of this war, bringing the total to 58,272

LET'S VISIT D.C. $800: Here's the view from this D.C. landmark completed in 1884

DOUBLE TALK $1000: As seen here, strange juxtapositions were the norm for this fatherly early 20th century art movement

SHOP CLASS $800: The protective helmet seen here was named for this task of fusing metal together

STAMPS $1200: You can see the quiet dignity of this civil rights icon who took a seat to no one

CORRECT RESPONSES
Nathan Hale
Brighton Beach Memoirs
The Secret Life of the American Teenager
Heart of Dixie
soft-boiled eggs
Hot Pocket
LEDs
Forever 21
carbon
Lake Erie
nuclear reactor
Star-Spangled Banner stamp
wreath
oxygen
commander
shiatsu
Russia
Mila Kunis
Fergie
the U.S.S. Maine
Thomas Jefferson
White House
Vietnam War
Washington Monument
dada
welding
Rosa Parks
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Historic Transports
Its principal mast is at Arlington, its foremast is at the Naval Academy & a monument to it, restored in 2013, is located in Havana.

Spoiler
What is the U.S.S. Maine? Sydney looked like she was writing Lusitania, after crossing out U.S.S. something.

Jeff Xie: $12,200+$7,801=$20,001...advances to Finals
William Golden: $10,000+$7,801=$17,801
Sydney Mokel: $6,400-$6,400=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was glad Jeff remembered the right ship for FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 on TV. Blanked on Bachelor and Brian, and NHO Ravenswood, Secret Life of the American Teenager, or Hart of Dixie.

Derp moment du jour: "Oh, what's that MONUMENT at the end of the National Mall in WASHINGTON, D.C.?"

I wouldn't have gotten Nathan Hale in a billion years.

Was there a "21" somewhere in that Forever 21 clue that I missed? I thought the year was important somehow.

Also wouldn't have gotten "soft boiled" in a billion years. I've only ever had eggs scrambled or deviled.

Lots of top-box stumpers in this game. I was just as lost on LED, soft-boiled, Star-Spangled, and oxygen. Lach Trash on "wreath", "Hot Pockets", and "carbon".

Not a guess on FJ!
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Very cool reaction from Jeff, like it. Looked like he was carefully checking his spelling and such in the last few seconds.

Embarrassed to have run the celebs category. :oops:
esrever

Post by esrever »

Congratulations, Jeff, on another excellent win!

Lach trash - Memoirs, soft boiled eggs, Hot Pockets, LEDs, wreath, oxygen, Commander

Instaget FJ.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Was there a "21" somewhere in that Forever 21 clue that I missed? I thought the year was important somehow.
I didn't come up with the correct response either. However, IIRC, the date in the clue was April 21st, 1984.

I didn't know which part of that date the word "appropriately" referred to. Was it something to do with springtime? Something to do with 1984? I wasn't getting there in those few seconds.

I also fell for the negbait on "Christmas tree" versus "wreath". I did manage to come up with "wreath" once Christmas tree was negged. That was a perfect example of a clue where I would have wanted to lose a buzzer race, had I been on the show.

In retrospect, both the fact that the stamp was round, and the fact that they called it a "decoration", made wreath a more plausible response, but it still was a fairly negbaity clue. That's OK; they're allowed to have those once in a while.

I said just "diode" for the LED clue, and I am not 100% sure I would have come up with "LED" on a BMS (one can always get flustered under pressure), but maybe I would have.

I wrote down only "The Maine" for FJ, not "The USS Maine", and I was pleased to see that either would have counted as correct.

Congrats, Jeff.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

skullturf wrote:I also fell for the negbait on "Christmas tree" versus "wreath". I did manage to come up with "wreath" once Christmas tree was negged. That was a perfect example of a clue where I would have wanted to lose a buzzer race, had I been on the show.
What negbait? The clue stated "circular".

Even if Havana didn't give it to me, I've been to Arlington and have pictures of the mast. Instaget.

Excellent job, Jeff! Looking forward to seeing you in the Finals!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Jeff on the win! Awesome!

I got FJ, but I needed the "Havana" TOM.
Dudd
Valued Contributor

Post by Dudd »

I want to know if Jeff was thinking of going for it on that final DD, looked like he paused for a second before coming up with 2k and then was visibly disappointed when he got it, almost like he wished he had decided to go for the likely lockout wager then.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I fell for the "Christmas tree" negbait too.

Lach trash: LED, Russia.
Got Final.

That DJ board was brutal for me.
Congrats, Jeff, on making the finals! I love when the contestants look happy after their win.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 out of 60.

D.C: 5/5 Shop: 3/5 Double: 4/5 Food: 3/5 TV: 2/5 Playwrongs: 2/5
21st: 5/5 Cele: 1/5 Geo: 4/5 Stamps: 3/5 Elem: 4/5 Middle A: 2/5

Lach trash: "Hot Pockets", "nuclear reactor", "oxygen" (DD- carbon)

Instaget FJ- I've been to Arlington and seen the mast, and I knew it sunk in Havana's harbor.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Bravo Jeff. Quick on that DD too. If you were older, Alex would have commented on your poker future.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Congrats, Jeff, on the win! (and the reaction!)

FJ was an instaget on the first line. Besides having seen it (if you are looking at the Tomb of the Unknowns, turn around 180 degrees, go through the Memorial Amphitheater, and there it is), I also remember it as the long time resting place for Paderewski.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Given the opening date of April 21, 1984, I came up with 84 Lumber.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

econgator wrote:
skullturf wrote:I also fell for the negbait on "Christmas tree" versus "wreath". I did manage to come up with "wreath" once Christmas tree was negged. That was a perfect example of a clue where I would have wanted to lose a buzzer race, had I been on the show.
What negbait? The clue stated "circular".
Right, but I think it just said the stamp was circular, not that the decoration itself was circular.

I mean, "wreath" makes sense, and like I said, I got it on the rebound, but for me, it was just a case of automatic word association. A clue near the top of the board, mentioning a Christmas or holiday decoration that can be "evergreen"? I think it's a very forgivable blurt-out.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

I'm taking the bar exam beginning tomorrow, so I'm choosing to believe that the reference to it on tonight's show was meant as an encouragement to me (and, I suppose, my entire cohort). This would make it somewhat reasonable that I found the nod touching. :D
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BFTW! (Boardie for the Win!) Congrats, Jeff. Very nicely done.

I realize it's Teen Week, but all three of those hints in the FJ clue? That really made it too simple in my book.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I had very few gets today except for the categories on the Elements and Geographic Center (2 5/5s).

NHO the USS Maine except for a few other J! clues, and I thought it was from the Civil War or earlier.

My dad: Do you know what it is?
Me: No.
Dad: It's from the Spanish-American war. It's a saying; remember the...
Me: Alamo?
Dad: That's a saying, too. It's the Maine. Remember the Maine.

That was a funny exchange.

Good job, Jeff!