Wednesday, July 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6893, 2014-07-30

2014 Teen Tournament semifinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Kat Deabill, a junior from New Boston, New Hampshire
Sam Lerner, a sophomore from Indianapolis, Indiana
Alan Koolik, a junior from Boca Raton, Florida

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Two juniors and a sophomore, so it looks like we're going to have only juniors and sophomores in our final because we have a sophomore and a junior waiting to come back tomorrow to play in the $75,000 final. Alan and Sam --Sam, are you tired, young man?

Sam: Just nervous.

Alex: Oh. Okay. I can understand that. Well, good luck to you, and Kat and Alan, as well. Here we go. Here are the categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT DO YOU WANT ON YOUR PIZZA? (5/5)
COUNTRY NICKNAMES (5/5)
IN THE DICTIONARY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
POP CULTURE (5/5)
MYTHOLOGY (5/5)
VACATION! (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 13 R, 1 W
Sam: 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Kat: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alan: $3,600
Sam: $3,200
Kat: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kat Deabill is a junior from New Hampshire who had an interesting experience at the Santa Monica Pier a few days ago. Tell us about that.

Kat: I went to Santa Monica pier for the first time with my friend Belle, and we were taking pictures in front of the ocean. We left our stuff a little way up the beach, and as we turned to go back up the beach, we saw a seagull flying off with one of our bags that we had just bought.

Alex: Hello. Brand-new bag?

Kat: It wasn't an actual --like, it was a shell in the bag, but it was a paper bag. And there was a group of tourists just staring at us, laughing, as we had to chase the seagull down to try and get our bag back.

Alex: Did you get it back?

Kat: Yes, we did, thankfully.

Alex: Good for you. You're a fast runner, obviously.

Alex: Sam Lerner is a sophomore from Indiana. And I want you to go back in time a little bit to primary school and tell me about your acting experience --your first time out.

Sam: Well, our 7th-grade musical was called "The Drowsy Chaperone," and there's a role in it called Aldolpho, who is a Latin womanizer. I...

Alex: And you got that role?

Sam: I got that role.

Alex: How did you audition for that role?

Sam: It felt like it was me.

[Laughter]

Alex: [laughing] Okay.

Alex: Alan Koolik is a junior from Florida, and he is one of the few people we've had on the program who has traveled a great deal, and, in particular, to a place in South America. Tell us about that.

Alan: Just about a year ago, I went to the Galápagos.

Alex: And how was that experience for you?

Alan: It was a great experience. We did one of the cruises down there. And one day, actually --I think the most fun --we went snorkeling, and a couple of sea lions actually dove in with us, and we just swam around with them for a little bit, and it was just really special.

Alex: I joke with a lot of people who are thinking about going to the Galápagos. I say, "one of the lines you will hear most often from the guides is, 'don't step there, don't step here.'" Did you get a lot of that, too?

Alan: We got very much of that.

Alex: Yes, I know. They're trying to protect the environment, and they're doing a good job.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sam found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Alan had $4,200, Sam had $3,800, and Kat was at $1,200. Sam made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,800.

IN THE DICTIONARY $800: The picture seen here might accompany the entry for this word found under the letter "p"
(Sam: What is...parade?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
VACATION! $400: If you want to pitch your tent in a national park, Yosemite has 13 of these areas; Alaska's Gates of the Arctic, 0
(Alan: What's a campsite?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alan: $7,200
Kat: $3,000
Sam: $1,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
QUOTATIONS (5/5)
GIMME SOME MATH! (5/5)
TV THROWBACK (5/5)
CREATIVE WRITERS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE LAW (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DOUBLE Ws (3/5) (Alex: Each correct response will have two "W"s in it.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 10 R, 0 W
Kat: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sam: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sam snagged the next Daily Double on the 25th clue. Alan had $17,600, Sam had $5,000, and Kat was at $12,600. Sam made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,000.

THE LAW $2000: Marbury v. Madison marked the first time that a federal law had been ruled this 16-letter term
(Alex: I have a feeling I know what you're going to say. I can tell by that smile.)
(Sam: True Daily Double, Alex.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kat who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Alan had $17,600, Sam had $10,000, and Kat was at $13,000. Kat wagered $2,600.

CREATIVE WRITERS $1600: He created Edmond Dantes but based him on falsely accused Francois Picaud
[Kat shakes her head.]
(Alex: Edmond Dantes was the Count of Monte Cristo. [*] created him.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DOUBLE Ws $800: Rhyming name for the main business section of a city

DOUBLE Ws $2000: Time to reap this, aka a dust devil

CREATIVE WRITERS $800: Anthony Horowitz created this teen spy found in books like "Snakehead"

CREATIVE WRITERS $1200: George Orwell created this "police" force that sound like they even read your mind

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alan: $19,600
Kat: $10,400
Sam: $10,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GREAT MOMENTS IN 19th CENTURY SCIENCE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Alan: Wager $1,201 to cover Kat.
Kat: You have the hope of surpassing Alan if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $9,601 to force Alan to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Sam.
Sam: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $9,998 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Matthias Schleiden found plants are made up of these; at dinner he told Theodor Schwann who said, hey, so are animals

FINAL SCORES
Sam: $10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000 (What are cells?) (3rd place: $10,000)
Kat: $10,400 + $10,399 = $20,799 (What are cells?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Alan: $19,600 + $1,201 = $20,801 (What are cells?) (Finalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alan: $19,600, 23 R, 1 W
Kat: $13,000, 14 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sam: $10,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $43,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Alan: 24/58 = .414
Sam: 17/60 = .283
Kat: 15/59 = .254
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
POP CULTURE $1000: It's the group heard here
(Sam: Who are the Arctic Monkeys?)

TV THROWBACK $1600: Before hooking up with Joey, Melissa Joan Hart played this title gal with magical powers
(Sam: Who is...Serena?)

GIMME SOME MATH! $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a graph on the monitor.) In Cartesian geometry, the y coordinate of a point is called the ordinate--the x coordinate is called this, from Latin for "cut off"

QUOTATIONS $800: It's the "here" in the 1863 line "those who here gave their lives that that nation might live"
(Kat: Where is [*]?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
pyrotechnics
campgrounds
unconstitutional
Alexandre Dumas
downtown
the whirlwind
Alex Rider
the Thought Police
cells
Neighbourhood
Sabrina the Teenage Witch
the abscissa
Gettysburg
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Great Moments in 19th Century Science
Matthias Schleiden found plants are made up of these; at dinner he told Theodor Schwann who said, hey, so are animals.

Spoiler
What are cells?

Alan Koolik: $19,600+$1,201=$20,801...advances to Finals
Kat Deabill: $10,400+$10,399=$20,799
Sam Lerner: $10,000+$10,000=$20,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Great game, should be a great final.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I did a double-take during the interviews--I'm currently in rehearsals for a local production of "The Drowsy Chaperone" that opens tomorrow night (playing flute in the pit orchestra).

I agree that the finals should be excellent.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ, then spent the next 29 seconds thinking "Hmm...that's it right? Just cells? Nothing more technical? Seems kinda simple", but nope, just cells.

It's going to be one helluva final!
esrever

Post by esrever »

I also agree that the finals should be excellent.

Lach trash - campgrounds, downtown, whirlwind, thought police

Instaget FJ.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ, then spent the next 29 seconds thinking "Hmm...that's it right? Just cells? Nothing more technical? Seems kinda simple", but nope, just cells.

That was very similar to my reaction. "Cells" came to mind right away, but it seemed like a rather prosaic answer. I mean, it's true that both plants and animals are made out of cells, but was there something more? I wrote down "cells" very quickly, but then spent some time rereading the clue, wondering if there was a play on words I missed, or if the fact the names were German was relevant... But then I soon decided I was probably overthinking it, and stuck with my first impulse.

I too am expecting a good final, and I've been impressed with these contestants. Many of them would hold up well in "regular" Jeopardy!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to all three contestants on a great game! I am also excited for the finals.

I did much better on this board than last night's.

My precalls on FJ were something about Darwin/evolution or Louis Pasteur. This one was an instant get, and should poll pretty high.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I agree with the other commentators. Excellent, entertaining game today. Should be a great final.

I was a bit surprised that the response of "Caesar" wasn't given a BMS.

And -- is anyone wondering why a Teen tournament has a major promo for Fixadent? (OK, I know it's the viewing demographic. Just strikes me as interesting.)
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Tonight's non-winners can take comfort that they could star in their own teen sitcom.

Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ, then spent the next 29 seconds thinking "Hmm...that's it right? Just cells? Nothing more technical? Seems kinda simple", but nope, just cells.

Another ditto to that thought, same here.

Lach Trash: campgrounds, thought police (also got DD pyrotechnics)

Great quality of play. Not much different from regular adult game.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Add me to those who got FJ right away but spent the rest of the time freaking out it was something more complex than cells.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37 out of 60.

Pizza: 4/5 Country: 4/5 Dict: 2/5 Pop: 4/5 Myth: 3/5 Vacation: 3/5
Quote: 3/5 Math: 0/5 TV: 5/5 Write: 2/5 Law: 4/5 WW: 3/5

Lach trash: "campground", "downtown"

I thought of cells pretty quickly, but I also considered atoms. Ultimately, I went with cells.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The great moment during the dinner conversation between Schleiden and Schwann was when Schleiden described Robert Brown's discovery that plant cells have nuclei and Schwann said -- in a German accent :D -- hey, I've seen a similar structure in the vertebrate notochord. They went on later to develop cell theory. See this reference: http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles. ... irca-1837/

So, perhaps another clue could have been: Matthias Schleiden read that plant cells contain these; at dinner he told Theodor Schwann who said, hey, maybe animal cells do too

With the correct response being: What are nuclei?

That seems to me to be a better version of what actually happened.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I remembered being in Grade 9 biology and being as astonished as Schleiden to learn about plant cells. Plant cells have since stuck in my mind, so this was an instaget.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought Dictionary was very tough. "Lexicon" seemed a bit steep for $200, didn't know the plural of chateau, the DD seemed particularly wide open (I almost WAGged "phosphorous"), and NHO "contrail".

Anyone wanna tell me why "campsite" was negged when they wanted "campground"? That seems like some pretty damn major hairsplitting.

I thought the Newman's Own clue was particularly wide open in Pizza too, and it cost me the run. "Mozzarella, cheddar, asiago, and this popular cheese." "Hmm, not cheddar, that's in the clue. American? No, I can't picture that on a pizza. Mozzarella? No, that's in the clue too... argh, what do they want whatdotheywantwhatdotheywant?!?"

A slip of the brain that caused me to say "Jay Jay the Jet Engine" instead of "Plane" cost me the run in the TV category.

"Reap the whirlwind"?!?

The hell is a logarithm?

Someone explain to me Math for $1600? How can X^2 + y^2 = 100 be a circle? What are the x and y representing?

All of "Law" was on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't spit it out. ALL of it.

Easy FJ! is easy.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

That pyrotechnics clue seemed horribly vague... I had 'presentation'. This one I'd be curious to see poll numbers on.

Came up with cells quickly, realized, "Hmm, plant, animal, no mineral. Cells are the lowest common denominator before we start getting into mineral territory. Cells it is."
(I know it's not that clear cut in reality, but this is 'think like a writer' mode.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Anyone wanna tell me why "campsite" was negged when they wanted "campground"? That seems like some pretty damn major hairsplitting.
Campgrounds are where you can set up a campsite.

They that sow the wind, shall
"Reap the whirlwind"?!?
The hell is a logarithm?
It's an inverted exponent. ...Probably need a good YouTube video to really get into it. Those were my nemesis in math.
Someone explain to me Math for $1600? How can X^2 + y^2 = 100 be a circle? What are the x and y representing?
X coordinate, Y coordinate; e.g., (0,10), (-10, 0).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Anyone wanna tell me why "campsite" was negged when they wanted "campground"? That seems like some pretty damn major hairsplitting.
Campgrounds are where you can set up a campsite.
And once again I fail to grasp the distinction between words with similar, but not identical, meanings. I honestly thought the two were one and the same. Still seems like quite the trap clue.
Volante wrote:
The hell is a logarithm?
It's an inverted exponent. ...Probably need a good YouTube video to really get into it. Those were my nemesis in math.
X coordinate, Y coordinate; e.g., (0,10), (-10, 0).
Blah blah blah, stuff I will never comprehend because I never took trig and suck at math anyway.

Seriously, how can a circle have coordinates? Where are you getting the zeroes and tens from?
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.