Thursday, July 31, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 31, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6894, 2014-07-31

2014 Teen Tournament final game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Jeff Xie, a junior from Edison, New Jersey
Alan Koolik, a junior from Boca Raton, Florida
Cooper Lair, a sophomore from Little Rock, Arkansas

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome. These three young men have had some brilliant moments in their previous appearances with us on Jeopardy! and now they get to play for the big bucks. $75,000 will be awarded to one of them tomorrow, as well as the glory that comes with being declared the Jeopardy! teen champion. So, Cooper, Alan, Jeff, good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. This is a two-day, total-point affair, and the first round features these categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
JOURNALISM (2/5)
DESCRIBING THE RECENT MOVIE (4/5)
YOU WISH YOU'D READ THE SCARLET LETTER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
STATE'S LEFTS (5/5) (Alex: We're dealing with geography here. We want you to give us the state immediately to the left of the state we will tell you about.)
SWEET CHARITY (5/5)
INSIDE INFORMATION (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be a word that can be formed from some of the letters in the word "information.")

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jeff: 11 R, 0 W
Alan: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Cooper: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alan found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Cooper had no money, Alan had $600, and Jeff had nothing in the bank. Alan wagered $1,000.

YOU WISH YOU'D READ THE SCARLET LETTER $600: This Christian group is called "the most intolerant brood that ever lived"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jeff: $4,000
Alan: $3,800
Cooper: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jeff Xie is not only good as a contestant on Jeopardy! He was also in the national geography bee. Did we ever meet?

Jeff: Not in the geography bee, but I competed in the state geography bee for four years from 5th to 8th grade.

Alex: But you didn't make it...

Jeff: No...I actually...

Alex: ...to represent your state in Washington?

Jeff: I actually came second in the New Jersey state bee, and I still kind of regret that 'cause there was a question --I think it was about India and Pakistan --that I realized afterwards was easy.

Alex: Yeah, well, so far on this program, you've been winning your games. What did it feel like just missing out in the geography contest?

Jeff: It was actually very frustrating 'cause it's like --'cause the other guy had got it wrong, and so it was like, "if I get this right, I'm onward," and I didn't, and, you know, just...I don't think it's terrible now 'cause I can understand why --just the nerves.

Alex: It's a learning experience.

Jeff: But...yeah.

Alex: Don't take it too badly.

Alex: Alan Koolik is a junior from Boca Raton, Florida, and this young man, I think, is a Broadway musical fan...

Alan: Oh, very much. Very much.

Alex: ...because you have collected playbills from everything you've seen, right?

Alan: Most everything, I think. Yes.

Alex: Favorite musical of all time?

Alan: That's a really hard one. I have no idea out of all of them.

Alex: Have you appeared in school musicals yourself?

Alan: Yeah, I've been in a couple school musicals.

Alex: Which ones?

Alan: This year, I was in "Bye Bye Birdie." Last year was "Oklahoma!"

Alex: hello.

Alan: And then back in middle school, I was in "Annie." And I was also Charlie Brown in "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown."

Alex: Oh, some famous ones.

Alan: Yeah, a couple.

Alex: Good for you.

Alan: Thank you.

Alex: Cooper Lair is a sophomore from Little Rock, Arkansas. Not only a good Jeopardy! player, but a member of his team's --or his school's quiz-bowl team. Right? How many on the team?

Cooper: Just five this year.

Alex: And how well have you guys done since you are a member of the team?

Cooper: Pretty well in recent years. We were able to make state last year.

Alex: So you made it to state?

Cooper: Yes, sir.

Alex: Good for you. You feeling good today?

Cooper: Yes, sir.

Alex: All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DESCRIBING THE RECENT MOVIE $600: Tina Fey: "Clooney would rather float away...& die than spend one more minute with a woman his own age"
(Alex: And that exciting movie is [*].)

JOURNALISM $200: (James Risen of The New York Times delivers the clue.) Though it's gotten me a couple of subpoenas, my protection of my anonymous sources stems from my faith in this constitutional amendment

JOURNALISM $600: (New York Times legal columnist Linda Greenhouse delivers the clue.) I don't often interview Supreme Court justices; to write my articles I usually read these formal statements containing the reasoning & principles of law behind judicial decisions

JOURNALISM $800: A "nut graf" gives the essentials of a story; "graf" is short for this

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jeff: $7,400
Alan: $5,800
Cooper: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 31, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EXPLORATION (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORD ORIGINS (5/5)
MONEY (5/5)
THIS CELEBRITY... (4/5)
MEDICAL HISTORY (5/5)
BEFORE HE WAS PRESIDENT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jeff: 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Alan: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Cooper: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jeff snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Cooper had $2,400, Alan had $5,800, and Jeff was at $10,200. Jeff wagered $2,000.

EXPLORATION $1200: In 1892, 17 years before his North Pole fame, Robert Peary proved this was an island, not part of a continent

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Cooper had $7,600, Alan had $10,600, and Jeff was at $10,600. Alan wagered $3,000.

BEFORE HE WAS PRESIDENT $1600: He was Thomas Jefferson's Secretary of State

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BEFORE HE WAS PRESIDENT $2000: He served as Tennessee's first U.S. representative
(Jeff: Who is Andrew Johnson?)
(Cooper: Who is Polk?)
(Alex: Jeff, I believe you misspoke. It wasn't Andrew Johnson. It's [*].)

THIS CELEBRITY... $2000: In 2014 got an alternative-album Grammy nomination & graced the stages of "Conan" & Coachella [audio clip]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alan: $19,200
Jeff: $17,000
Cooper: $5,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BESTSELLING BOOKS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Alan: Wager $14,801 to cover Jeff. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $3,601.
Jeff: Your score is within 4/5ths of Alan's, so wager between $4,401 (venusian) and $5,799 (martian), beating Alan's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Cooper's part.
Cooper: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Jeff, but if Jeff decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $1,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This novel is dedicated to Esther Earl, who died of thyroid cancer at 16 & never got to read it

FINAL SCORES
Cooper: $5,600 - $5,400 = $200 (What is ?)
Jeff: $17,000 - $2,000 = $15,000 (What is The Secret Life of Bees??)
Alan: $19,200 + $5,800 = $25,000 (What is The Fault in Our Stars?)
(Alex: Alan, you wrote down your
response very quickly, and you were smiling all the while because you wrote down [*]. That's the novel by John Green,
and it is the correct response. Have you read it?)
(Alan: Yes, I have.)
(Alex: Good for you.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alan: $17,400, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Jeff: $16,200, 26 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Cooper: $5,600, 9 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $39,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jeff: 26/59 = .441
Alan: 20/60 = .333
Cooper: 9/58 = .155
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
YOU WISH YOU'D READ THE SCARLET LETTER $400: The evil Roger Chillingworth practices this profession making use of herbs & roots
(Alan: What is homeopathic medicine?)
(Alex: Well...we are going to accept that, our judges say. He's a [*].)

INSIDE INFORMATION $600: It's a Canadian province
(Cooper: What is Alberta?)

JOURNALISM $1000: (New York Times reporter
Andrea Elliott delivers the clue.
) Just 8 years after getting my degree from this university's graduate school of journalism, I won one of the Pulitzer Prizes that the school administers

EXPLORATION $2000: In his 60s in 1633, this "father of New France" made his last voyage from old France to Quebec
(Jeff: Who is Cartier?)

WORD ORIGINS $2000: A word for "throat" gives us the name of this type of carved figure, like the guy seen here

MEDICAL HISTORY $800: Around 1747 British navy doctor James Lind discovered that eating these could prevent scurvy
(Jeff: What are limes?)
(Alex: Limes, or any [*].)

MEDICAL HISTORY $2000: Using identical twins, Dr. Joseph Murray performed the first of these organ transplants in 1954
(Jeff: What is a heart transplant?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Puritans
Gravity
First Amendment
opinions
paragraph
Greenland
Madison
Andrew Jackson
Neko Case
The Fault in Our Stars
doctor
Ontario
Columbia
(Samuel de) Champlain
gargoyle
citrus fruits
kidney
southsidehitman
Has Been in Cliff Clavin's Kitchen

Post by southsidehitman »

An interesting game, and a tough final - I had no clue.
Spoiler
I never read the book, and never saw the movie, so I had no connection to make.
One quirk that someone else must have noticed: Alex has a very specific cadence to his voice when he says "Answer:" right before a Daily Double. When Jeff went from the $800 clue to the $1600 clue in (Insert category here, I don't remember the name), Alex probably was not expecting the jump, because his vocal cadence indicated he expected Jeff to select the $1200 clue in that category and reveal the DD. When the DD didn't come up, I knew immediately that it was behind the $1200 clue, which it indeed was. Did anyone else pick up on this?
"Well, I'm not quite ready, so I'm gonna do it now."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

southsidehitman wrote:An interesting game, and a tough final - I had no clue.
Spoiler
I never read the book, and never saw the movie, so I had no connection to make.
Whereas I, being a Nerdfighter (well, a fan of the vlogbrothers at least, don't know if I"m an official Nerdfighter or not) know of the book, know of the movie, know who the author is (obviously), and know it's about a boy who falls in love with a girl with a terminal disease. That's it. WAGged "Alice in Wonderland".
southsidehitman wrote:One quirk that someone else must have noticed: Alex has a very specific cadence to his voice when he says "Answer:" right before a Daily Double. When Jeff went from the $800 clue to the $1600 clue in (Insert category here, I don't remember the name), Alex probably was not expecting the jump, because his vocal cadence indicated he expected Jeff to select the $1200 clue in that category and reveal the DD. When the DD didn't come up, I knew immediately that it was behind the $1200 clue, which it indeed was. Did anyone else pick up on this?
There's the odd time Alex does that when the DD is already revealed (or the clue called is nowhere near the DD), but he seems to do that less lately, so yes I picked up on it right away, and I'm pretty sure Jeff did too, which is why he went to $1200 next; I think whoever would have wound up answering $1600 would have picked up on it and went to $1200 next.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of that book.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Boards are getting tougher and I'm getting dumber. Couldn't remember whether VT or NH is to the left of ME, and got KS and NE mixed up.

"Dialogue" didn't parse as Greek to me since I saw di- at the beginning and got stuck in Latin.

$200 was the only movie I'd ever heard of in that Recent Movies category.

What led to Mexico on Money for $400? That was my only miss. Lots of countries use the peso.

Big fat 0-fer in Explorers.

NHO The Fault in Our Stars, so I was lost here.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Never heard of that book.
Ditto.
esrever
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by esrever »

Well-played game.

Lach trash: Gravity, First Amendment, paragraph, Andrew Jackson

Didn't get FJ. The only thing I knew about that book was the title.
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

Precalled that The Fault in Our Stars would be the response. It's too prominent a piece of teen culture (heck, there was a contestant this tournament who interviewed about being a Nerdfighter, though she wasn't playing tonight) to have been left out of the tournament, and with two games left, I was wondering when it would show up.

Nice game, Jeff, and looking forward to tomorrow's!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:
southsidehitman wrote:One quirk that someone else must have noticed: Alex has a very specific cadence to his voice when he says "Answer:" right before a Daily Double. When Jeff went from the $800 clue to the $1600 clue in (Insert category here, I don't remember the name), Alex probably was not expecting the jump, because his vocal cadence indicated he expected Jeff to select the $1200 clue in that category and reveal the DD. When the DD didn't come up, I knew immediately that it was behind the $1200 clue, which it indeed was. Did anyone else pick up on this?
There's the odd time Alex does that when the DD is already revealed (or the clue called is nowhere near the DD), but he seems to do that less lately, so yes I picked up on it right away, and I'm pretty sure Jeff did too, which is why he went to $1200 next; I think whoever would have wound up answering $1600 would have picked up on it and went to $1200 next.
*nod* I think I even heard Jeff go, "Oh...", when the $1600 clue was revealed, as I think he thought it was going to be the DD, too.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I noticed the same thing with Alex's voice and the DD.

I got the Champlain clue after Cartier was negged. I would have been hesitant to ring in otherwise.

I missed FJ, but I've heard of that book before and knew it had something to do with a girl who died young.

Strictly speaking, there was nothing in the clue that pinned down a time period, but I should have realized that because it's the Teen Tournament, there was a high chance they would go with something recent. I should have spent the commercial break trying to think of recent bestselling books. Unfortunately, recent popular literature is one of my weak spots. I'll definitely start reading the NYT best seller lists if I ever get the call.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Hadn't heard of the book until the movie came out, which I haven't seen, but I was reminded of it by this prescient post and I'm guessing that's why it came relatively quickly. Thanks, Ryno!
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Lach Trash: 1st amendment, Andrew Jackson
Insta-instaget FJ. I'm a huge fan of that book and knew the story behind it, too. I'm on my way to a perfecto, which O'm fairly sure has never happened before.

Great game! Just as exciting as I was expecting.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was another great game and fairly challenging board!

I got burned on the bottom two clues in the U.S. Presidents categories. I said Monroe for the DD, remembering that he had held two cabinet posts. Then I joined Jeff in negging with Andrew Johnson.

I knew which book FJ referred to, but I couldn't recall the title. I have been wanting to see the movie The Fault in Our Stars because it was written by the same screenwriter who wrote (500) Days of Summer and The Spectacular Now, both of which are phenomenal. Now I really wish that I had gotten around to seeing it in the theater a few weeks ago, when I said I was going to.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Well, I was wondering when The Fault in Our Stars would come up. Along with Divergent it was one of my predictions for this year's Hunger Games. J! loves the latest YA fiction tends. 8-)

Lach Trash: Gravity, First Amendment, opinions & Jackson.

Instaget FJ.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Near instaget FJ! It's the current YA book of the moment.

Neko Case on Teen J! was quite a surprise. I vaguely know who she is from NPR, but would never have gotten that clue.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bestselling Books
This novel is dedicated to Esther Earl, who died of thyroid cancer at 16 & never got to read it.

Spoiler
What is The Fault in Our Stars? Cooper had no guess; Jeff said The Secret Life of Bees.

Day 1 of 2-Day Finals
Alan Koolik: $19,200+$5,800=$25,000
Jeff Xie: $17,000-$2,000=$15,000
Cooper Lair : $5,600-$5,400=$200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Earlier today (before I saw this game) I linked a celebrity game in the Jeopardy in the media thread. One of the clues in the Presidents category was used today. I'm glad to see Jeff is smarter than the three dimwits who were in that game.
Kebert Xela
Contributor

Post by Kebert Xela »

Final was pretty fair in difficulty imho. I couldn't make anything from it at first, but then I reminded myself that it was the Teen Tournament. I next thought OK which teen author does J! have a hard on for ....John Green, of coursel What book did he write recently...BOOM
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Cooper had no choice but to bet big in FJ, but the other two played it safe. Alan's interest in the arts made me think he'd go big, but he still has a strong, but not insurmountable, lead going into tomorrow.

What are the second and third place prizes? Alan has already topped (or at least matched) the guarantees for those.